PDA

View Full Version : Meaningless ? of the day - Have you even been

turbob
03-21-2005, 05:19 AM
in anything or affected by mother Nature? Tornados, hurricanes, floods, etc. I was in Cincinnati about 30 years ago when a tronado went by least that a quarter mile away from were I was. I can STILL remember the sound. How about you?

maysie
03-21-2005, 05:28 AM
When I was 10 I slept through the tornado that moved our house on the foundation and pulled a roof off a building and put it through the roof of our shed about 25 feet from where we were sleeping.

About 4 years ago I took pictures of the tornado that broke apart right before it reached our house.

Angel Lips
03-21-2005, 05:30 AM
Cant say I have

MsLynn
03-21-2005, 05:41 AM
well i was in the may 3, 1999 tornados in okc, even did 31 hrs of search and rescue, nothing like being out in the middle of it looking for casualties and hear the tornados go off again.

i remember being in a flood when i was like 3 or 4, i remember being taken out of our house in a boat and men pushing the boat over the tops of cars when it would get stuck on it.

and i know its not a natural disaster but i worked rescue on the murrah building bombing too.

Eyore
03-21-2005, 05:43 AM
No, I haven't and don't want to be and hope I never am.

amysusi
03-21-2005, 06:32 AM
Earthquakes. A bunch of them. Last one I felt was a big aftershock of the Lander's Calif. quake of '92. The initial quake was in '92, this aftershock was in '99 and we were living in Vegas at the time. It was a pretty strong one even that far away, and that long after.

I'm still afraid of them.

sunflowers
03-21-2005, 07:27 AM
I live in Fl so needless to say last year we lived thru how many hurricanes???? :eek:

tigger4
03-21-2005, 07:42 AM
I was in a tornado in 1974. Our entire city was declared a National Disaster Area and Nixon came to town.

A couple of years ago, I was in the Nisqually earthquake. It was a 6.8

schsa
03-21-2005, 10:27 AM
Hurricane David, Hurricane Hugo. I think that was more than enough for one lifetime.

tsquared
03-21-2005, 10:30 AM
I have been in 2 floods and a couple of tornados.............

onfire4god57
03-21-2005, 10:58 AM
Another Floridian here. I think we lost count of the number of hurricanes last year. Let's hope this year don't repeat itself.

renagade
03-21-2005, 04:49 PM
Been in two tornados. One when I was 7yrs old and it took out the whole neighborhood across the street from us on the next block. I saw that one up close and it scared me to death. We were going to the nextdoor neighbors celar and I saw it come down and suck up the houses. My dad had to run back for me cause I was to afraid to move. I was just holding on to the fence for dear life. Don't think I will ever forget that one. The second one after my daughter was born. She was 2 weeks old and we had one touch down in the field about 2 or 3 blocks from us. I hate those things.

nanajoanie
03-21-2005, 05:02 PM
I think the worst tornadoes I ever went thru were around 1963. We were on the highway and had to head in the other direction to run away from it. This was SW Grand Rapids near Wyoming for you MI folks. The clouds were laying on the ground like pillows. Very strange site. We had 2 babies in the back of the car going nearly 90+ MPH. Other tornadoes Dad and I would stand in the back yard and watch them go along Grand River. I saw some of my friends home destroyed. Tearful. Many of them got tattooed with sand and glass. The most recent disaster was an ice storm in Greensboro NC about 3-4 years ago. You could hear the trees snapping and coming down all around us. We watched from the bathroom window at the backyard. Then the power lines arched in the front yard and down came some huge branches big as your leg crashing on the grill, the picnic table, the corner of the porch roof. I cried like a baby that time.

It's just about time for tornado season to start for many of us. Everyone please stay safe. And in a few months starts hurricane season again.

ocvachick
03-21-2005, 05:03 PM
several hurricanes, a tornado and a flood....

tracyb
03-21-2005, 05:19 PM
WE have been througha flood here... lucky i am on top of a hill but was surrounded by water no way out hubby was at work couldnt get home that night...dd was like 2 or 3 and cried for her daddy because we had no electric either....was cosidered state of disaster here then... we has a little flood last year

buttrfli
03-21-2005, 08:16 PM
I live in Tornado alley.... nuff said LOL

They don't scare me much anymore (I'm sure that comment will come back to bite me in the butt lol) but we are definately in tornado season and we normally have to take cover 2 or 3 times a year. Luckily we live in a part of Oklahoma that does not get near as many tornados as other parts

Jolie Rouge
03-21-2005, 09:34 PM
buttrfli - congrats on 4001 posts !

Been thru Hurricanes Andrew, Danny, Jorge, Ivan, Betsy & Tropical Storm Allison. Couple of Tornadoes, many floods, 29 cars wrecks, and a house fire.

Was a little kid when Betsy can thru - remember sneaking outside to fly kites with my brothers in the middle of the night ... Mom & Dad were NOT happy !
( kids + high winds = KITES ! ) Andrew dropped a tree on the house we were living in - crunched the roof and punched right thru the floor :eek:

keen9801
03-22-2005, 04:34 AM
When I was 15 we took pics of a tornado from our front porch. Then my mom made me go into my closest, lol.