PDA

View Full Version : Couple Sells Candles That Smell Like Jesus??????

delSol
03-18-2005, 07:16 AM
http://www.nbc10.com/news/4287825/detail.html

Couple Sells Candles That Smell Like Jesus
Product Flying Off Shelves

POSTED: 4:17 pm EST March 15, 2005
UPDATED: 4:22 pm EST March 15, 2005

A South Dakota couple makes and markets candles they say smell like Jesus.

Slideshow: New Candles Allegedly Smell Like Jesus
Video: New Candles Allegedly Smell Like Jesus
E-Mail: Send Story To A Friend

You can find candles with just about every fragrance imaginable, from blueberry to ocean mist to hot apple pie.

Now there's a candle that lets you experience the scent of Jesus, and they've been selling out by the case.

"We see it as a ministry, " says Bob Tosterud, who together with his wife came up with the idea for the candle.

Light up the candle called "His Essence" and its makers say you'll experience the fragrance of Christ.

Bob Tosterud and wife Karen say the formula is all spelled out in Psalm 45.

"It's a Messianic Psalm referring to when Christ returns and his garments will have the scent of myrrh, aloe and cassia," says Karen Tosterud.

Wondering what that must smell like, Karen Tosterud ordered those oils, a combination that produces sort of a flowery, cinnamon aroma. Then she called on a friend who just happened to be a candle-maker.

"And in October, we got our first batch of 768 candles. We had no idea how it would go," Karen Tosterud says.

But once word got out they went through 10,000 candles.

"It's the only one on the market and everyone tells us it's very unique and nothing like it," says Karen Tosterud.

"We wanted people to be able to experience Christ in new ways and to be able to read a bible and have that scent and that candle as a reminder that he is with us all the time."

"You can't see him and you can't touch him," says Bob Tosterud. "This is a situation where you may be able to sense him by smelling. And it provides a really new dimension to one's experience with Jesus."

The candles never stay on the shelves for long. The Tosteruds say each one that goes out is like a ministry in itself.

The candles sell for about $18. They are sold in about 150 stores around the country. Or you can order them online at www.hisessence.com.

You can also call this phone number: 877-psalm-45.

Copyright 2005 by NBC10.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed

MamaFairal
03-18-2005, 07:27 AM
what the ??

JKATHERINE
03-18-2005, 07:30 AM
what the ??

I agree.

Crackpots... :rolleyes:

nanajoanie
03-18-2005, 07:33 AM
A fool and his money are soon parted.
A sucker born every minute.
Con artists are everywhere.
Should I keep going?

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

sdb_ngc
03-18-2005, 08:44 AM
A fool and his money are soon parted.
A sucker born every minute.
Con artists are everywhere.
Should I keep going?

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
couldn't be said any better

peaceluver
03-18-2005, 09:12 AM
:confused:

june72
03-18-2005, 09:17 AM
:confused: OMG i dont even know what to say on that one :eek:

kelly12569
03-18-2005, 09:56 AM
for once, I think Im speechless.....

ok, not really, but Id get probably banned for what I think of this scam :eek:

nanajoanie
03-18-2005, 11:06 AM
:confused: OMG i dont even know what to say on that one :eek:

Sorta glad you are also flabberghasted :eek: Wonder if Tracy is the same :eek:

sivohdarba
03-18-2005, 12:35 PM
At $18.00 bucks a candle, I just wish I had been the one to come up with it first...lol!! ;)

Hmmm....perhaps leprechaun, santa, easter bunny and ghost scented candles instead? :p

janelle
03-18-2005, 12:38 PM
Oh, come on you all know you wished you thought of it first. LOL :D

It is gimmicky but what isn't now a days. At least it's going along with what is written in the bible. Those scents. At bible study we were encouraged to light a candle to be reminded that Jesus is the light of the world. This would be the perfect candle.

I have holy pictures in my home and religious items all over the place. These items are sold in religious book stores. I like to see and have them around. I would buy this if it's not a lot of money.

It would only become offensive if the sellers were saying Jesus was in the candle and you will receive a miracle if you have one and lit it everyday or some other promise like that. Then it becomes a big scam but they aren't making that claim.

janelle
03-18-2005, 12:40 PM
At $18.00 bucks a candle, I just wish I had been the one to come up with it first...lol!! ;)

Hmmm....perhaps leprechaun, santa, easter bunny and ghost scented candles instead? :p

That's a big YEP. LOL

janelle
03-18-2005, 12:43 PM
http://images.ibsys.com/2005/0315/4287654_320X240.jpg

It looks like this. It's not shaped like Jesus or called Jesus. Thank God. LOL :eek:

Watch the video but you will first have to see the ad. They are doing that now with videos. Advertizers have learned this so now we have more commercials to wade through. :rolleyes:

Get them at www.hisessence.com

nanajoanie
03-18-2005, 01:14 PM

Let's put out heads together and form our own scented candle company. We could add scents such as hearts (Valentine's), seeds (birds), barn (for farmers moved to a retirement home and miss the farm), beer (burn during parties), sweat (burn to make everyone think you've been working out).

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

janelle
03-18-2005, 01:18 PM
Let's put out heads together and form our own scented candle company. We could add scents such as hearts (Valentine's), seeds (birds), barn (for farmers moved to a retirement home and miss the farm), beer (burn during parties), sweat (burn to make everyone think you've been working out).

LOLOLOLOLOLOL

I want the sweat one so people will think I have been working out. No wait I always smell like pepermint after working out. HAHAHAHAHAHA :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

nanajoanie
03-18-2005, 01:19 PM
LOLOLOLOLOLOL

I want the sweat one so people will think I have been working out. No wait I always smell like pepermint after working out. HAHAHAHAHAHA :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

And I smell like B&BW Sweetpea or Peony :D :D :D

VALENA-)45
03-18-2005, 01:20 PM
What Does Jesus Smells Like????????????? Nanajoanie:your First Post Said It All.

amysusi
03-18-2005, 01:23 PM
Ooh ooh ooh!! I want a barn scented candle!!!! Probably smells better than my full diaper genie freshener!!

ROFLMBO!!! :D

BTW, I agree with janelle.

nanajoanie
03-18-2005, 01:24 PM
What Does Jesus Smells Like????????????? Nanajoanie:your First Post Said It All.

I never smelled Jesus. We are close friends and I never picked up a smell :D

Donnagg123
03-18-2005, 01:26 PM
It would only become offensive if the sellers were saying Jesus was in the candle and you will receive a miracle if you have one and lit it everyday or some other promise like that. Then it becomes a big scam but they aren't making that claim.

I have to agree. It is not like they are saying they took the actual sweat off of Jesus and made it into a candle. They are just letting people have another way of being closer to Jesus.

rlynn411
03-18-2005, 01:51 PM
Interesting concept, but insane just the same. But to those who purchase, to each there own!

nanajoanie
03-18-2005, 02:00 PM
Ooh ooh ooh!! I want a barn scented candle!!!! Probably smells better than my full diaper genie freshener!!

Barn - Diaper Genie - It's a toss up to which smells better................ :D

janelle
03-18-2005, 03:39 PM
I'd rather have one that smells like baby's head, the other side of baby. LOL

How about daddy's pipe? Some peope like that.

Mama's hair?

Sister's clothes?

Brother's----hmmm, no need to go there. Can't think of a thing. LOL

Kitten's fur?

Puppy's -----Hmmm, same thing with brother's. LOL

Grandpa's, wiskers?

Grandma's, apron?

:p :p :p

janelle
03-18-2005, 03:41 PM
This is funny. I just got a candle that is Roasted Chestnuts. Smells great. Saving it for Christmas.

LOL, I bought a cinnamon roll candle for my sister for Christmas and I also looked just like a huge cinnamon roll. She put it on her table and her hubby wanted to know if she was going to eat it.

She told him it was a candle and was he surprised. He was already for a bite. :p

nanajoanie
03-18-2005, 04:13 PM
I'd rather have one that smells like baby's head, the other side of baby. LOL

How about daddy's pipe? Some peope like that.

Mama's hair?

Sister's clothes?

Brother's----hmmm, no need to go there. Can't think of a thing. LOL

Kitten's fur?

Puppy's -----Hmmm, same thing with brother's. LOL

Grandpa's, wiskers?

Grandma's, apron?

:p :p :p

WOW!! What fragrances!! Love Daddy's pipe. As for kittens and puppies, I smell wet critters, sorry. Grama's apron would have to smell like cookies or a fresh baked pie. I'd say we are on a roll coming up with new scents :cool: :) :D

queenangie
03-18-2005, 06:04 PM
I never smelled Jesus. We are close friends and I never picked up a smell :D

ITA! I would not purchase one myself.

DAVESBABYDOLL
03-18-2005, 06:27 PM
I can imagine the money they will make from this candle...wonder if they will give the proper share to the church and God.

nanajoanie
03-18-2005, 06:30 PM
I can imagine the money they will make from this candle...wonder if they will give the proper share to the church and God.

I DOUBT IT!! It's cyberspace, not real accountablebility. Sad. As Maude used to say, "God will get you for that".

sivohdarba
03-18-2005, 07:38 PM

LOL!! Count me in!! You crack me up Nana!! :D

sivohdarba
03-18-2005, 08:05 PM

I actually have some tarts I bought through a link someone posted on here a couple of years ago that is scented "babies butt"!! I had to order a couple out of curiosity...after burning one I agreed it smelled better than my babies bottoms, but not not THAT good...lol!

donnakc
03-19-2005, 05:51 AM
I don't see what the big deal is. They just put together the 3 oils mentioned in the bible. I use some biblical oils daily. I don't call them essence of anybody, but aromatherapy is popular so why not use biblical ones?

nanajoanie
03-19-2005, 09:37 AM
I don't see what the big deal is. They just put together the 3 oils mentioned in the bible. I use some biblical oils daily. I don't call them essence of anybody, but aromatherapy is popular so why not use biblical ones?

I realize it's free enterprise. More power to them. We are just having a little fun. Life is so serious that it's time to lighten up and smile.

tracyb
03-19-2005, 10:33 AM
Sorta glad you are also flabberghasted :eek: Wonder if Tracy is the same :eek:
hehehehe :p :p :p I wasnt on last nights Nana...........sorry..........but here is what I think.......Jesus spent so much time out on journeys so I am figuring that He just did not smell the greatest in the world all the time. :eek: :p :) ...but that is just me...hehehehehe..CANT WAIT TO SMELL HIM THOUGH.... :D does anybody else think this too? But of course he did perform miracles so whe knows. ;) you would need a miracle to smell good living out on the land for long periods of time and still smell nice :) :D
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

tsquared
03-19-2005, 10:42 AM
One would think this would be a sort of Blasphemy........... Always someone trying to make a buck off of innocent beleiving people

nanajoanie
03-19-2005, 10:45 AM
hehehehe :p :p :p I wasnt on last nights Nana...........sorry..........but here is what I think.......Jesus spent so much time out on journeys so I am figuring that He just did not smell the greatest in the world all the time. :eek: :p :) ...but that is just me...hehehehehe..CANT WAIT TO SMELL HIM THOUGH.... :D does anybody else think this too? But of course he did perform miracles so whe knows. ;) you would need a miracle to smell good living out on the land for long periods of time and still smell nice :) :D
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

I really like your reply. Sounds like what Mur described being 5-11 days with no shower, no brushing teeth, no shaving, etc. P U ACK!! Running from the smell. GAG!!

tracyb
03-19-2005, 10:51 AM
I really like your reply. Sounds like what Mur described being 5-11 days with no shower, no brushing teeth, no shaving, etc. P U ACK!! Running from the smell. GAG!!
HEHEHEHE :eek: :D Thank goodness Val was home for them days....hehehe ;)
like the time when we had no electric for 12 days hubby brought home like 40 to 60 gallons of water home everynight so we could bath.....if not boy that would have been like Mur....PPPPPPPUUUUUUU LOL MAYBE even what Jesus smelled like :o :D

irrelevant0
03-19-2005, 10:57 AM
the dumbest thing i've heard in a while. and people buy this ...

janelle
03-19-2005, 02:43 PM
I'm not sure how people kept clean in the desert but they must have had a way. Maybe oils helped and water holes around oasis. Got to a river I'm sure they had a bath.

Linus1223
03-19-2005, 04:50 PM
Just proof that people will buy A-N-Y-T-H-I-N-G.

Tracy'sMom
03-19-2005, 06:26 PM
Just proof that people will buy A-N-Y-T-H-I-N-G.
ITA!
It's amazing what people can sell now. Nana, I bet that store of Yours would be a great success. LOL

Freebeemom
03-20-2005, 12:50 PM
"It would only become offensive if the sellers were saying Jesus was in the candle and you will receive a miracle if you have one and lit it everyday or some other promise like that. Then it becomes a big scam but they aren't making that claim."

So, tell me how this is different than forwarding an email that is sent saying that if you don't forward this email, something bad will happen to you.

janelle
03-20-2005, 10:12 PM
Oh I get them all the time. I never forward them and nothing bad happens to me. LOL Just funny. They don't bother me. :p

schsa
03-21-2005, 10:37 AM
Hey, there will be people who get a great deal of comfort from these candles. So if the scent is all that they are offering, go for it.