PDA

View Full Version : How long did your baby take a binky?

ladyseals
03-18-2005, 05:21 AM
My son loves his binky. He is only 22 months and to me he still needs it. When he is screaming at the top of his lungs and I am in the middle of trying to take care of things, like shopping, paying bills, etc... Being able to stick the binky in his mouth for some peace and quiet is priceless. He talks very well, knows all his abc's, some numbers, some colors, and can hold a conversation with it sticking out the side of his mouth. But, should I take it away? Hubby thinks so. I bought him a new pack because his old ones were getting yucky. But, hubby thinks I should not have.

I would like to say that he will give it up on his own. But, I have two brothers 11 and 16 who still suck thier thumbs. We joke that they will walk down the isle on thier wedding day sucking thier thumbs.

MamaFairal
03-18-2005, 05:34 AM
My DD's pregnant friend(she's 15) still sucks her thumb also and shes about to become a mommy next month....i tease her they can suck thumbs together....lol

My kids gave their binkies up on their own but i dont remember how old they were.

buttrfli
03-18-2005, 05:44 AM
My 9 y/o was 4 when she "lost" hers... my cousin has a DD that is 10 and still sucks her thumb after she goes to sleep.

newwiccan
03-18-2005, 05:48 AM
Hayden gave up his at 6 months and Emma never liked using one. My husband's youngest sister used one until she started kindergarten. (It's hard to call a 12 year old my sister in law.)

Willow
03-18-2005, 05:57 AM
My oldest used one for a few months but that was only because one of the nurses gave it to her when she was in the hospital with bronchitis at 3 months old. I had never given her one before that so I was very upset that the nurse took that upon herself to do that. I think she was about six months when she stopped. I through them away one day and that was it. I never liked them. I feel that they are dirty because they always fall out of the kids mouths or they will leave it somewhere and then want to pick it up and put it back in their mouth. My second child never had one either.

lassss
03-18-2005, 06:29 AM
my son stop using them at 6 months...it's not good to keep using them after a certain amount of time because they get too used to always having them and can't funtion without them. I can't stand to see 2 and 3 yr olds in the store with a binky in their mouth, they are too old for one. Also try and break the habit of sucking their thumbs because it pushed on the top teeth resulting in buck teeth :o

Anthill
03-18-2005, 06:38 AM
Fortunatly, both my babies never got used to them. Because they were in the hospital for 15 days after being born, I had no control over what they were giving them. And the Nurses esp at night, when I wasn't there did give them a pacifer. But for some reason they didn't like them. So as soon as they came home, I did try to give them it, but they would spit it out, I would find it across the room, on the changing table, etc. So I figured, why am I forcing this? This is a good thing? Also when ever they would suck on their thumb, really only son does that, I take it out of his mouth. I sucked my thumb for a very long time, and I don't want my child to have go thru what I did. Funny thing about me is that I never sucked my thumb in public, I only did it at bedtime. I would see kids in school sucking on thier thumbs, and I never did that. The thumb basically got me to sleep at night. I think I was like 12 or something like that when I stopped.

Willow
03-18-2005, 06:54 AM
Another thing I hate seeing is a 2 year old running around with a bottle hanging out of his mouth. As soon as my kids were old enough to sit up I gave them a sippy cup so they were both off the bottle by about 8 months old.

kelly12569
03-18-2005, 07:09 AM
I would say 22 months is definitely too old to have one. Thats almost 2 yrs old. And you dont want the binky to push on his teeth anymore than you would his thumb. My kids lost their pacifiers before they were 6 months as well.

Unfortunately , my 11 yr old SS sucks his thumb and it is becoming very noticeable with his teeth :( We've tried everything and he still sucks it :rolleyes: He never took a pacifier though. He started sucking his thumb when we broke him from his bottle.

kelly12569
03-18-2005, 07:10 AM
Another thing I hate seeing is a 2 year old running around with a bottle hanging out of his mouth.

omg, I know! Part of it that bothers me is I can just picture them running down the isles with it in their mouth and falling and hurting their mouth on that darned bottle :(

JKATHERINE
03-18-2005, 07:26 AM
I agree. 22 months is much too old to still be sucking on a pacifier (or bottle for that matter). You're DH is right--"lose" the binkys. It will be hard the first few days, but he'll get over it. If he starts screaming in the middle of shopping,etc, this is where your superb parenting skills should come in. It's a great opportunity for you to tell your son, who is most definately capable of understanding, that that type of behavior is not acceptable and will not be tolerated. He will learn if you are consistent in what you say and do during these times.

cSoReNSoN
03-18-2005, 07:39 AM
My mom never gave my brother and I pacifers. I'm glad she didn't! I know that it can be a difficult habit to break for some. Fortunately, neither my brother nor I were thumb suckers either. I, too, cringe when I see a pacifier fall on the ground, or anywhere for that matter, and placed back in the child's mouth. Yuck!

bribella
03-18-2005, 07:44 AM
With my first I bought every pacifier on the market just to discover that he hated them.
My second I again tried the pacifier and she liked them for a couple weeks and then gave them up.

Tried one more time with my 3rd and she didn't care for them either. Now I am glad that they never took to the pacifier just one less thing to wean them off of lol! :)

Lora_1994
03-18-2005, 08:11 AM
my oldest son stopped using his when he got his first tooth at 3 months old and my other 2 WOULDNT use one. I tried a couple of times on them, but they wanted nothing to do with them.(I am sooo glad). My brothers g/f's step brother is 5 and he just gave his pacifier up. and my moms husbands neice is 22 and STILL sucks her thumb and carries around a blanket.(she's had 3 kids)

fatesfaery
03-18-2005, 08:47 AM
Jason would never take a pacifier. Ashley could care less about her bottle, but was addicted to her pacifier. The only time she would wake up during the night was when she lost her pacifier. When she was 7 months old, I threw them in the trash after getting up the third time to find her pacifier for her.They were both off the bottle by the their first birthday. I took Jason's and Ashley threw her's down when she was ten months old.

june72
03-18-2005, 09:04 AM
my son was 16 or 17 months when his daddy took his from him LOL i think he was afraid i wouldnt. honestly i have seen very big kids with them 5 or 6 yrs and that is really to old. watch the signs, and when it is in the thighs and going down then take it. my other 2 boys never took one. took there bottles at 1 yr. the only reason this son got a passy was because he tried to suck his thumb and i could throw a passy away i couldnt the thumb.LOL i seen a lady at the grocery store when selby was trying to suck his thumb and she said my dd still sucks her thumb and she is 38 :eek: so needless to say i kept shoving the passy in everytime he tried to suck his thumb. lol
good luck it will prob be harder on you mom them the baby. lol

peaceluver
03-18-2005, 09:09 AM
My DD was hooked on her binky. We had them everywhere in the car, in my purse, in the diaper bag, lol you get the point. When she was almost 2 I told her that once her birthday came she would be a big girl and big girls dont have binkys. I told her that all binkys had to go and could she help me find them all. It was a very big game in our house. We ended up with just a couple left by her birthday and on her bithday I had her throw them away. She asked that night for one and I explained that now she was a big girl. She never asked for one again. I was lucky but letting her help was a big deal to her.

kelly12569
03-18-2005, 09:59 AM
watch the signs, and when it is in the thighs and going down then take it.

huh? lol

catssass
03-18-2005, 10:17 AM
huh? lol

LOL...I was trying to figure that out too! :confused:

ang in NC
03-18-2005, 11:41 AM
I tried and tried with my oldest. She was 4 yrs old! One day she quit taking it. I asked her why did you quit? This is what she said, I swear it!
JESUS TOLD ME TO STOP TAKING IT! I said thanks Jesus!

captorquewrench
03-18-2005, 04:41 PM
our girls didn't take them at all.

I take that back. I went to pick the middle dot up from the church nursery one sunday and there was one with her stuff. I had gotten in the habit of checking our bags to make sure we had everything we came with and nothing we didn't. LOL. anyway, there was a pacifier in her bag and I said whose is this? The nursery workers said hers. I said it can't be. Come to find out one of the regular workers thought I was "neglecting" my daughter by not letting her have one. i told them please do not give her one again, that it was given to her without my permission, after I said she doesn't take one and don't start her on one.

none of them sucked their thumbs or fingers either.

renagade
03-18-2005, 05:41 PM
My daughter threw hers away when she was in her walker one day. Maybe 6 or 7 months old. She never ask for it again. She was walking at 11 months. I was suprised she did everything early. Slept thro the night at 2 weeks. Now her two girls have never had one. They didn't get a choice LOL

Faithfully
03-18-2005, 05:56 PM
My son never liked the binky, but my dd LOVED hers. When she was about 2, I told her it got on the binky bus to go to school, to learn how to be a good binky, and she never asked for it again. :D

freebielover
03-18-2005, 06:12 PM
I think 2 years old is more than old enough to get rid of it. I hate seeing 6 and 7 year olds in strollers with bottles and binkys, its a bit ridiculous. It will be tough, but you can wean. Soon enough they will forget all about it.

Bud_Girl76
03-21-2005, 05:07 PM
Another thing I hate seeing is a 2 year old running around with a bottle hanging out of his mouth. As soon as my kids were old enough to sit up I gave them a sippy cup so they were both off the bottle by about 8 months old.

Same here my kids were done with the bottle at like 9 months.. No need to have it so long..

Bud_Girl76
03-21-2005, 05:09 PM
I agree. 22 months is much too old to still be sucking on a pacifier (or bottle for that matter). You're DH is right--"lose" the binkys. It will be hard the first few days, but he'll get over it. If he starts screaming in the middle of shopping,etc, this is where your superb parenting skills should come in. It's a great opportunity for you to tell your son, who is most definately capable of understanding, that that type of behavior is not acceptable and will not be tolerated. He will learn if you are consistent in what you say and do during these times.

ITA time to give it up.. Your hubby is right..

twinkiesmom
03-21-2005, 06:41 PM
I think mine were around a year old when I weaned em offa theirs. They really only needed it when they slept. I started by taking it away during naps. Let em use it at nite only, then boom, it was gone. Just be consistent. If you get crying, let him cry. He'll get over it. Don't give in.

Mystic32
03-21-2005, 07:20 PM
My son used his til he was right around 2. I had to literally take it away from him. It was hard for a day or 2 but he came around. My dot on the other hand never used a binky & she was off the bottle at around 10 mos.