PDA

View Full Version : What should I do?

PreciousDarlin
03-14-2005, 09:31 PM
My son came home from school today and tells me a little boy in his preschool class, Alec, has a pink eye. It took me a few minutes to catch his meaning. And I asked him again if he meant Alec had Pink Eye and he said yes. I was dumbfounded that a parent would send their child to preschool with Pink Eye. DS said the little boy was sent home ealier because of the Pink Eye. While I was washing Josh's (DS) hair tonight in the tub, I noticed that one of his eyes looked a little red.....thought maybe it was allergies. Got him out and was drying him off and noticed that now BOTH eyes were looking a little red around them and that the whites of his eyes were starting to look pink. And to top it off, he has the gunk in the corner of his right eye. Of course, I can't send him to school tomorrow because of it. Might not be able to send him back until next week. How did I know that my son would bring it home? He brought home Fifth Disease when that was going around, but was the last one of us to break out with it. Go figure. Now, to just hope and pray my 2 y/o DD doesn't come down with it! Anyways, does anyone have any recommendations for treatment? Do they make an over the counter Pink Eye medication? If not, I suppose it's back to the doctor tomorrow. I just spent 3 hours there today, but that's a completely different story. Thanks in advance for any advice.

sparklez
03-15-2005, 01:20 AM
I am so sorry that happened. What do parents think sending thier kid to school with something that spreads so easily.
My 4 year old has Pink eye right now!! I have no idea where she got it?? We are at home all the time and she is only around my 2 year old daughter who hasn't caught it yet luckily.
I was told by a few people that pink eye is only cured by prescroption eye drops so i had to wait in a clinic and get a prescription for the eye drops. They are called "Sulfacetamide Sodium Opthalmic Solution".
And they are a huge pain getting a 4 year old to take these drops in her eye 2 drops in each eye 3 times a day. She has had it for about a week now.

I hope that maybe someone knows something I don't know about a home remedy and you don't have to wait at the Drs Office.

Good Luck and I hope that it clears up soon.

belle5691
03-15-2005, 02:12 AM
Pink Eye Relief (http://www.allaboutvision.com/similasan/)

Im not sure how well this works. I know the similasan company has good products. Maybe it will help. Ive just recently started seeing it OTC.

mikang
03-15-2005, 02:19 AM
PreciousDarlin

Here are some things I found off of a home remedy site that helps pink eye. I've heard of the tea bags before. My friend used them on her son and said they work wonders. She used the orange peko bags. I hope some of these might be of some help to you. My son had pink eye before and the doctor gave me some drops, they worked but it took them awhile.

1) Ingredients: Tsp. Table Salt
Warm Water
White washcloth
Instructions: When I was a kid my mother would run warm water in the bathroom sink and put about a teaspoon of salt in the water. After the salt dissolved she would put the white washcloth in the water squeeze the excess waterout of the towel and use it to wipe my eyes. It would soften the crust on the eyes and after about a day or so it would be gone. I don't know how it worked but my brother,sister and I have never had to go to the doctor for it. Most people I've told about it are kinda weary because of the saltbut I've never had a problem with it.

2) Ingredients: Baby shampoo (cheapest on the shelf)
Instructions: First place a very warm wet washcloth over your eyes for a minute or two. Then put a small amount of baby shampoo on the same
washcloth and thoroughly wash the eyelash area taking care to clean the base of the lashes. Rinse carefully. Repeat in the evening. This cures pink eye in a day or two and is also safe to use on children. An old eye doctor told me of this remedy.

3) Ingredients: two warm regular tea bag's
Instructions: place warm tea bag over infected eye till bag cool's off the replace with the other warm tea bag the warm tea draws the infection out and clears it up sooner then over the counter meds

4) Ingredients: 1 cup water
1 teaspoon honey
Instructions: I mix the honey into the water which is warm. After the honey is dissolved I put a couple of drops into the infected eye. Honey is a natural antibiotic and has significant healing properties. I usually do this remedy three times in one day and that does the trick.

5) Ingredients: Hi! my name Isis i beleive eveyone has had pink eye well i have a very good remedie that my aunt gave you just wipe your eyes with manzanilla tea it has to be a little warm thoe it ill go away in less than a day. It is safe on babies.....

6) I had pink eye when I was a teenager and two of my children had it too. I heard that a warm "orange pekoe" tea bag helped, so I tried it. Something in the tea bag draws the infection out when it is place over the eye. Just warm up the teabag, place it over the closed infected eye with your head tilted back for as long as you can.(The longer and more frequent the better). This works! It's gross to look at the bag because the infection will be drawn to the bag. Change them after this happens and keep it as warm as possible.

7) Conjunctivitis

Conjunctivitis or "pink eye" is an inflammation of the conjunctiva the membrane that covers the whole eyeball and the inside of the eyelids. The symptoms of conjunctivitis are redness, eye pain, burning, blur vision, feeling of dryness and discharge of a sticky fluid.

Conjunctivitis is very contagious wash your hands and do not touch the affected area.

We recommend

Mix 2 tsp. chamomile flowers.
1 tsp. Oregon grape root.
2 cups of boiling water.
Let it sit for 20 minutes, cool, strain and use an eyewash.

Use calendula in bacterial or viral conjunctivitis to reduce itching and inflammation, heal and soothe. It's an antiseptic perfect for irritation due to pollutants and allergies. Use it as a local compress and eyewash. It is available in eye drops as well.

Use a lotion made out of Vitamin A and apply it directly.

If the eye is swollen, peel a potato and cut it in thin slices place them on eyes affected by conjunctivitis.

Bud_Girl76
03-15-2005, 04:39 AM
I personally would never use any home remedy for that.. I would take my child back to the doctor's for something like that.. Than I would call the school and let them know that other child has it and that is how your son got it and that child should not be allowed in school until he is cleared of it..

Freebeemom
03-15-2005, 04:47 AM
Ah, the joys of using school as daycare....this happens WAY to often. Just wait until your child brings home the stomach flu, or lice....Too much emphasis is being placed on parents missin work rather than caring for their sick children. Companies/parents need to get their priorities straight!

kimp67
03-15-2005, 06:30 AM
If I were you I wouldn't fool around with a home remedy for something like that, I would call his dr. TODAY! , then I would call the daycare & ask them just what exactly is their policy for attendance when you're contagious. I understand that you can't keep your kids home with every little sniffle, but something like this is a bit different.
Good luck

JazzMama
03-15-2005, 07:34 AM
Pink Eye Relief (http://www.allaboutvision.com/similasan/)

Im not sure how well this works. I know the similasan company has good products. Maybe it will help. Ive just recently started seeing it OTC.

Was just about to post when I saw your response! DD gets pink eye at least twice a year from her preschool (so I feel your frustration). These do work very well if I can get DD to let me just PUT the drops in! :rolleyes:

tracyb
03-15-2005, 07:54 AM
they will let the child back in school as long as the junk is not in the eye they can go back if they are still red just nothing coming out of it...hope you can understand my explanation....lol

gshanny
03-15-2005, 08:10 AM
I have always been told to wait til they have been on the eyedrops for at least 24 hours. Make sure to keep hands washed real well, especially if DS rubs his face. That is an easy way for it to spread.

Bud_Girl76
03-15-2005, 08:18 AM
If I were you I wouldn't fool around with a home remedy for something like that, I would call his dr. TODAY! , then I would call the daycare & ask them just what exactly is their policy for attendance when you're contagious. I understand that you can't keep your kids home with every little sniffle, but something like this is a bit different.
Good luck

I agree with you.. His doctor needs to be called and get a REAL prescription not a home remedy..