PDA

View Full Version : Real fact of the day

firechick
03-14-2005, 05:01 PM
Well, since I have been in the hospital with our 7 month old Abigail I switched from drinking pepsi to drinking snapple so I have learned a lot of interesting things from the caps and thought I would share.

FACT # 128
Dragonflies have six legs but cannot walk

~*~*~*Kelly*~*~*~

nanajoanie
03-14-2005, 05:03 PM
I drink Snapple and love reading under the caps. Never know what will come up for a strange fact. Bet lots of Snapple drinkers have never read the bottomside of their caps.

DAVESBABYDOLL
03-14-2005, 05:26 PM
I didn't know that.I thought Dragonflies walked on water :o

Angel Lips
03-14-2005, 06:14 PM
I do enjoy reading the little facts under the lid, i hadnt gotten that fact yet, thansk for sharing

JKATHERINE
03-14-2005, 06:46 PM
Here's a fact for ya:

Depending on what kind of Snapple you're drinking, you may be ingesting the ground up remains of a beetle's! :)

I'm not sure if this is STILL true...but back when I used to be a BigBig Kiwi-Strawberry Snapple addict, it was colored with Cochineal---which is commonly used in food items and is made from ground beetles.

http://www.snopes.com/food/ingredient/bugjuice.htm

NINK
03-14-2005, 07:42 PM
they can walk a little and will if they must, like if thier wings get injured,but they look drunk. they use thier legs for catching food and mating.

Snapple produces three flavours with Cochineal Extract. It comes from boiling or chemically treating the shells of beetles. It is a brilliant red dye. The three flavours are Mango Madness, and the two new Island Splashes.Snapple apparently raise these beetles in a special farm.
According to Tropicana customer service, anytime natural flavours or colours are stated in their ingredients, it is a combination of the items listed above in the ingredients, and if cochineal extract is added then it is listed separately but some of the flavours have beta-carotene.

Cochineal is also used by Dole in "100% Natural Pine-Passion-Banana Juice", advertised as Paradise Fruits.