PDA

View Full Version : If you thought the father facing charges was something look at this...

YNKYH8R
03-10-2005, 07:29 AM
Toddler dies from severe diaper rash
Mother, grandmother face criminal charges for abuse, neglect

The Associated Press
Updated: 10:49 a.m. ET March 9, 2005

JOHNSTOWN, Pa. - The mother and grandmother of a toddler who died in December face criminal charges for allegedly neglecting his severe diaper rash, leading to a fatal infection.

Amy Livingston, 27, of Johnstown, was charged Tuesday with involuntary manslaughter and child endangerment in the Dec. 12 death of her 15-month-old son, Harley. She was charged with a second count of child endangerment because another son, 3-year-old Hunter, also had severe diaper rash, authorities said.

Her mother, Evelyn Ann Mrsnik, 60, was charged with child endangerment, because she was a supervisor at a day care center Harley attended. Mrsnik had an obligation under state law to report the alleged neglect, District Attorney David Tulowitzki said.

'Worst I've ever seen'
The younger boy developed sepsis, a life-threatening infection, because the rash was so bad, Cambria County Coroner Dennis Kwiatkowski said.

“It’s probably the worst I’ve ever seen,” Kwiatkowski said.

Mrsnik didn’t immediately return a message left at her home Tuesday night. It was not immediately clear whether she or her daughter have attorneys. The Associated Press could not immediately locate a home telephone number for Livingston.

Both defendants face a preliminary hearing March 17. Involuntary manslaughter involving a victim under 12 carries a sentence of up to 10 years.

Livingston’s husband, David, was deployed by the Army when the boy died, authorities said.

MamaFairal
03-10-2005, 07:44 AM
how sad and tragic :(

JKATHERINE
03-10-2005, 07:48 AM
That's just disgusting.

tracyb
03-10-2005, 07:48 AM
grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

VALENA-)45
03-10-2005, 08:17 AM
That poor baby, that is a shame. some diaper rashes are hard to treat, cause babies take meds for so many things and the meds can give a baby a diaper rash. My son called me two weeks ago, told me Davyon has a diaper rash and he has been to three doctors, two for an ear infection and one for the diaper rash, all the doctors said it was the meds he is on for the ear infection giving him the diaper rash. I told my son, get some boric acid, put a table spoon in boiling water, let it cool off, and every time y'all change Davyon's diaper wipe his behind with it, and put some a&d onitment on him afterward, it will help the rash dry up. I learned this from my mother, when my sons were babies. I feel bad for the Ladies in the story, cause they are in some bad trouble. i learned something from this story, that i didn't know.

bribella
03-10-2005, 08:26 AM
How sad.:( Every time I read these type of stories it really makes me think that people should need to be licensed to have children. JMO We have to be licensed to fish, hunt ,own a gun, drive a vehicle, sell real estate, ect but anyone can be a parent. I will never understand why people have kids that they obviously don't care about.

If they cared about them they wouldn't abuse, neglect or kill their precious children.

bulldog6186
03-10-2005, 08:56 AM
They said on the news that the rash had turned black. Anyone with half a brain would have known to get that baby to the doctor :mad:

Deb-a-Doo
03-10-2005, 09:41 AM
This Just Breaks My Heart.....

Eyore
03-10-2005, 10:42 AM
That poor boy, you know he had to be hurting from a diaper rash that bad. There is no reason for a person not to seek medical help.
My daughter got bad diaper rash once and I couldn't clear it up for nothing. Tried Desitin and corn starch. Finally took her to the doctor and they gave me a prescription and it cleared it right up. I have since heard some of the diaper rashes are caused from yeast and to use Monistat on there behinds to clear it up.
I just don't get parents having kids and not taking care of them.

Willow
03-10-2005, 10:49 AM
That must have been so painful. :(

newwiccan
03-10-2005, 11:58 AM
That poor boy, you know he had to be hurting from a diaper rash that bad. There is no reason for a person not to seek medical help.
My daughter got bad diaper rash once and I couldn't clear it up for nothing. Tried Desitin and corn starch. Finally took her to the doctor and they gave me a prescription and it cleared it right up. I have since heard some of the diaper rashes are caused from yeast and to use Monistat on there behinds to clear it up.
I just don't get parents having kids and not taking care of them.

Some rashes are caused by yeast. I took Emma to the doctor a few weeks ago with a rash that wouldn't go away no matter what I used. He said it probably started as thrush in her mouth and worked its way through her system.

Poor baby!:(

Eyore
03-10-2005, 12:18 PM
Some rashes are caused by yeast. I took Emma to the doctor a few weeks ago with a rash that wouldn't go away no matter what I used. He said it probably started as thrush in her mouth and worked its way through her system.

Poor baby!:(

I just within the past couple of years heard of diaper rash caused by yeast. Hope your little ones behind is feeling better now and the rash is cleared up.

Kyla Kym
03-10-2005, 01:04 PM
My son never had a diaper rash when he was little. I think it's because I refused to use baby power, Vaseline, or baby oil on him. I can't stand the baby powder smell (yeah I know I'm weird LOL) I also don't like for a baby to look like a big greasy butterball turkey either! :D, my son always looked like a clean fuzzy chicken. LOL :p I asked the doctor if it was ok not to use that stuff and he said it was, and probably better for them because the oils and powders just hold the urine to the skin and cause rashes. I always just used wipes, huggies & his daily bath to prevent them. But I'm sure there can be other medical reasons to cause diaper rash other than just being filthy, but I think a majority of them can be prevented if they just keep that bottom clean. I've seen mothers that will leave a dirty diaper on a baby, I just want to scream at them.

Donnagg123
03-11-2005, 05:49 PM
Her mother, Evelyn Ann Mrsnik, 60, was charged with child endangerment, because she was a supervisor at a day care center Harley attended. Mrsnik had an obligation under state law to report the alleged neglect, District Attorney David Tulowitzki said.

Makes you wonder if she let her own grandbabies get treated that bad, how was she caring for the complete strangers she was taking care of at the daycare she worked at.

Eyore
03-11-2005, 06:08 PM
My son never had a diaper rash when he was little. I think it's because I refused to use baby power, Vaseline, or baby oil on him. I can't stand the baby powder smell (yeah I know I'm weird LOL) I also don't like for a baby to look like a big greasy butterball turkey either! :D, my son always looked like a clean fuzzy chicken. LOL :p I asked the doctor if it was ok not to use that stuff and he said it was, and probably better for them because the oils and powders just hold the urine to the skin and cause rashes. I always just used wipes, huggies & his daily bath to prevent them. But I'm sure there can be other medical reasons to cause diaper rash other than just being filthy, but I think a majority of them can be prevented if they just keep that bottom clean. I've seen mothers that will leave a dirty diaper on a baby, I just want to scream at them.

Your fortunate that your son never got it. My daughter did and it wasn't because she was left in dirty diapers or because she wasn't clean. I didn't use all the other stuff on her either. When she got diaper rash I tried the corn starch to clear it and also Desitin, even tried a little vaseline to try to help prevent it from getting worse. As she got older I found she had sensitive skin and it didn't take much to irate her. I sometimes wonder if that had something to do with the diaper rash she had. She only got it bad one time and I took her to the doctor for it.