PDA

View Full Version : OMG! Amaziing vintage Olympics find today!

NoFoolPrice
03-02-2005, 10:38 PM
Went to browse at my local Salvation Army today, they were having a killer sale, bought a couple leather jackets and some hand crocheted and tatted bibs and booties from the 30's, along with this incredible handmade baby book, kind of a baby instruction book that someone handsewed the cover in silk and then tied all these pages in with satin ribbon that have cutouts of kewpie dolls and 1936-37 newspaper articles about baby care and the Dion quintuplets. It's about 40 pages, about half being fountain pen caligraphy with poems and advice about baby care, fascinating. It would make a wonderful baby shower gift. But then, drum roll, I really found the prize, a 1932 Los Angeles Olympics beanie/cap in pristine condition. I paid $6 and brought it home and was showing my finds to significant other lazyboy bound sports addicted photographic memory lifemate, and he got all excited when he spotted the cap. He said, 'That was only given to the 1932 Olympics athletes to wear in the opening ceremony!', there were only about 50 USA athletes. He rarely gets excited, but demanded I start doing immediate internet searches. Well, can't find one for sale, none on ebay, none on collectors sites. If you can't find it on ebay, then you better do a little more research. Plenty of pins and tickets and newpapers articles for sale, no athlets hats. All I can find is a video of the opening ceremonies, it's very grey and fuzzy, but yes, it does appear that the USA athletes are wearing this same cap. I took a pic of the hat and would love to share it here if I could figure out how, can someone advise please? I think you would all enjoy seeing it.

lpelham
03-03-2005, 08:01 AM
How cool! You might try doing a google search on it - there may be some antique stores out there selling one and you might find a price that way. I just love good finds like that!

Libby

Hillbilly
03-03-2005, 12:04 PM
Wow,that is so cool. :cool: I collect alot of vintage items,lots of jewelry,glass,etc. I don't have any idea about the hat though,but I'm glad you found it.I was watching Antiques Roadshow one night and they were showing a website that they use for research,it is www.artfact.com I think there might be a fee,I was thinking it was as low as $10 a month,but you might want to check it out.