PDA

View Full Version : When are you suppose to plant Tulips??

buckkelly
03-01-2005, 04:59 AM
When are you suppose to plant tulips? I have daffodils coming up now, but I want tulips!

fatesfaery
03-01-2005, 05:01 AM
You plant bulbs in the fall.

Army-Mom
03-01-2005, 05:23 AM
Yes that is when we planted ours and you also have to put them in the icebox for like 10 days before planting them. My husband planted ours and they are so pretty I have all different colors. My niece went to Holland and brought them back for me.

nanajoanie
03-01-2005, 07:50 AM
Here in NC we plant bulbs in the fall before the ground freezes. Plant them deep about 8" with the pointy end up. They come up every year and are gorgeous. Just plant and forget about them. No need to dig them up like Marcia down in FL. They don't have enough cold weather to "set" the bulbs and most FL homes don't have a basement that would be cool for storing the bulbs.

Soleil
03-02-2005, 07:17 PM
Yes that is when we planted ours and you also have to put them in the icebox for like 10 days before planting them. My husband planted ours and they are so pretty I have all different colors. My niece went to Holland and brought them back for me.

Never heard about putting them in the ice box for 10 days. I planted them back in late October of 2003. They grew in spring last year. They were so pretty. And now they are sprouting up quite nicely. My tulips should be blooming in the next month or two. I can't wait! :p

nanajoanie
03-02-2005, 07:22 PM
Never heard about putting them in the ice box for 10 days. I planted them back in late October of 2003. They grew in spring last year. They were so pretty. And now they are sprouting up quite nicely. My tulips should be blooming in the next month or two. I can't wait! :p

Army Mom lives in FL. It doesn't get cold enough to set the bulbs and they must have so many days of very cold temps or they won't bloom. If you plant bulbs now, they probably won't bloom til next spring.

buckkelly
03-03-2005, 04:14 AM
Thanks! I'll have tulips next spring!!