PDA

View Full Version : Does any one know about pre paid visa/mastercard

usascs
02-27-2005, 09:37 PM
I need one of these quick. any onfo on what banks sell these, without you having to be a member would be greatly appreciated.

keen9801
02-28-2005, 04:54 AM
I am not sure which banks sell to you if ur not a member, I had went to alot of different banks trying to find one that didn't charge.
what i mean by that is if you put $50.00 on it and you spend $30.00 they take anywhere from $2.50 to $5.00 in a service charge regardless if your a member or not. I really needed one but I didn't want them taking the extra money off it everytime I used it. Most banks say you have to be a member tho, you might try National City. their service charge is the lowest.

usascs
02-28-2005, 05:15 AM
My bank offers american express prepaid for anominal fee I think 5.00, with no service charges. I have used them in the past and they worked great till you got down to the last few cents. So I would just charge that litlle bit at the gas station or grocer and pay the rest with cash. Praying I didnt forget what was on it. I have a job (MS) to do and it requires a visa or master card, they could have mentioned that prior to assigning this job to me. It is a long term account that will pay well, so I dont want to lose it. I am going to call banks in my area later and will update you. I know charter one offers one (but you have to be a member). But from what I hear it is a very good deal.

Willow
02-28-2005, 05:28 AM
I think I have read here at BBS that people have bought them at pharmacies like Walgreens and places like that. I don't know anything about the service fees though.

MamaFairal
02-28-2005, 05:30 AM
I use www.rushcard.com

They do charge $19.95 to activate it and then $1.00 per transaction($3.00 for ATM) but i have had it for a couple yrs now and you can also do direct deposit for your pay checks and i direct deposited my tax return to it also.My kids also have them(you now have to be 18yo) and if you let it get down to "0" they do close it out after 90 days of no activity :(
But i love it and wouldnt use anything else..comes in handy when ya need a VISA...takes about 10 days to get
HTH

usascs
02-28-2005, 06:41 AM
Ok I have found a bank. Key bank will sell a prepaid master card in any denomination over $25.00. There is a 3.95 service fee to activate. no service fees unless you use it for cash advance or atm. they can not be refilled. oh and you need Id and fill out simple paper work. On my way to pick one up.

Kelsey1224
02-28-2005, 08:35 AM
I got the Visa gift cards this year as Christmas presents and ordered them on-line. I just did a search of "Visa Gift Card" and the link came up.

They did have a $5.00 cost for the card...but that's it. You can pick out pattern, message on card, i.e. "Happy Birthday Mary"...etc.

I thought it was a great gift as did the people who received it.

There was one disclaimer. There are certain "establishments" which won't accept them if the balance on the card is less than $50...i.e., gas stations, some restaurants, etc.

Danny
02-28-2005, 09:59 AM
Wouldn't it be easier to use a debit card from your bank unless it is for a gift?

nanajoanie
02-28-2005, 11:01 AM
Wouldn't it be easier to use a debit card from your bank unless it is for a gift?

I agree. I have no credit cards and found out I could use my credit card to buy my new Dell puter online. No service charge, no check charge, no interest, mostly NO MONTHLY BILL!!!!!!!!!!!!

usascs
02-28-2005, 02:16 PM
You have to have a checking account to have a debit card. I dont like checking accounts, I like my little savings account. And if I buy something online I feel safer using a throw away card.

ttistin
02-28-2005, 02:48 PM
They have them at gas stations around here, and we also seen them at Media-play. We are going to get one to use for online use and such.

cpbaby
02-28-2005, 06:14 PM
I noticed today when I was reloading my prepaid MasterCard at the convenience store that GreenDot sells "throwaway" cards for internet usage. You put what you want on it, go to www.mymccard.com , activate it and when it is all gone, you throw it away.

I have a regular pre-paid MasterCard through GreenDot and love it. I put what I want on it and use it.