PDA

View Full Version : Adopt a Soldier question

Blackberry
02-25-2005, 05:30 PM
My cousin is in the Marines and his unit is going to be stationed in Fallusha (sp?) soon. They will also be taking turns guarding the Syrian border. There was a send-off party for him that my Mom went to. At the party was a sign-up sheet so people could adopt a soldier in that unit. My Mom signed up (at the time she left, she was the ONLY one who signed up. I hope more people did after Mom left).

My cousin shared a bit about the soldier with my Mom. Turns out the one she chose has a bad attitude, doesn't want to be there (who does?) and had a really rough upbringing. By signing up she has agreed to send him a package every month along with letters too.

Mom isn't sure what to send to him. Any idea's? I think I've heard that batteries are always welcome. AA batteries? Please post any suggestions you may have and I'll pass them along to Mom.

TIA!
Stephanie

P.S. Please send good thoughts and prayers to my cousin, Ryan. He's a great kid (he is one of a set of triplets, his brothers are not in the military). He lost his older brother to cancer years ago. Please no more death for these boys. Thank you.

newwiccan
02-25-2005, 05:51 PM
My husband left for his second deployment last month and says it's easy to get just about anything he needs. Have your mom ask him in one of her letters what he would like to have and can't buy there. Maybe your mom can send home made cookies. I know when I send them Kevin has to hide them or he won't get any. :)

nanajoanie
02-25-2005, 06:16 PM
Mur's favorite boxes from me were when I splurged at the grocery store with about a dozen or more different bags of cookies. And for Mur boo-koos of cashews or even regular peanuts. And they always need batteries AA and AAA. There are many in each unit that get nothing from home and the ones that have extras share. Disposable cameras are cool. And photos from home, handmade cards and notes from children are most welcome. Just try to remember, not to big an assortment in the box. You must list the stuff in the customs papers. I just put food snacks, newspapers, black inkpens. It's also nice to tuck in little things for the Iraqi children, pencils, USA tattoos/stickers, sunglasses, individual wrapped candies. We have won most of the children over. Remember they will be the next generation of leaders over there in the sandbox and they love anything USA.

The commisaries are as big as super Walmart. They can buy basically the same things we buy at home if they are near one. The think is to receive mail, card, letter, box, anything from home. Bless your Mom for doing this.