PDA

View Full Version : What a night!

cpbaby
02-21-2005, 09:32 PM
I aint never in my life. <shakes head>

There I was, putting water on to boil for spaghetti and BOOM, something went crash in my son's room. I thought his shelf fell off the wall with everything on it, but when I went to look, it was still on the wall. My Dh asked me if the ceiling fell in, I said no, I cant figure it out. My son was in the shower but the noise got him out, so he came to look too. Here we all go(me, my DH, my 11 yr old son in his boxers and my 1 yr old was under her daddys arm) looking out in the garage. Nope, nothing there. So we all troup back into my son's room to check the ceiling in the closet. Before we opent he closet door, I notice the sheetrock has seperated from the studs.

WTF? :eek: My Dh goes OFF "Somebody has hit the house!", hands the baby to the 11 yr old and here we (me and him) go outside, in 30 degree weather, with no coats and me with no shoes. I swear and bedamned if there arent ruts in my yard, my HUGE bush is FLAT and my house is mashed. :mad:

I go next door(still barefoot) and knock on the back door to ask WHO JUST LEFT? They tell me Adam and I tell them that HE HIT MY HOUSE. I go home and call 911. They start asking me questions like Adam WHO? and What kind of vehicle? I have NO CLUE. So I tell them that I will call them back and go next door to get this information. When I go back over there, the boy that lives there and his gf are scrambling around getting clothes on and "stuff". The boy asked, ok BEGGED me to not call the cops because Adam is on probation and will go to jail. PLUS they have no homeowners insurance. Too late, by the time I leave to go call my older son(at my moms) to get Adams last name, there are three police cars there. They are in SHOCK at the outside of my house, then we go inside. All three of the police are speechless at the sight of my wall.

We go back outside, a gray car pulls up and this little girly gets out. She is this Adams gf and is about 6 months pregnant. She tells the police that she came over because he was driving her car when he hit the bush. (thats what he told her, he hit a bush. :confused: well, according to her) The cop asks where he is, she tells him he is at her apartment babysitting. They FINALLY get her to say where her apartment is and they go get him. He is drunk as Cooter Brown and they take him to jail. She gets on the cell phone, looking at my house, telling whoever she is talking to that "It doesnt look that bad to me". Apparently I start steaming because the nice police lady tells me to not say anything to the pregnant lady. The pregnant girly swears that it was her car that he was in, BUT IT WASNT. I havent a clue what kind of car it was, but I know very well it wasnt that car. That car is shiney and has a spoiler and the one that was next door 15 minutes before this all happened wasnt and didnt. PLUS, if you hit a house with the front corner of your car, odds are its gonna look like it.

So, basically, what is going on is, Adam is going to be charged with DUI, Leaving the scene of an accident, wanton endangerment(cause it was a bedroom) and either criminal mischief or something else, whichever means "on purpose". PLUS someone has to pay for fixing my HOUSE! :mad: Which means that I have to take tomorrow off from work and go sit at my insurance company to explain all of this mess. LUCKILY I had new batteries for my digital camera.

Before the police left the police lady came over and told me that his parents wanted to tell me that they are very sorry and will "make it better". Well, if they had raised their child better, maybe this wouldnt have happened!(no flaming, Im just mad right now) Also, no one associated with that house is allowed to speak to us and we arent supposed to bother them. Like thats going to happen. :rolleyes:

ARRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

MamaFairal
02-21-2005, 09:40 PM
OMG am so glad everyone in your house is ok......how scarey for you all tonight.
Good thing you got pics tho huh?(post them..lets see)

Make it better?? How? They gonna fix it for ya? How old is Adam?(that his parents still clean up his messes)
Glad they caught him.

buttrfli
02-21-2005, 09:41 PM
:eek:

I hope you had the police write in the report what his parents said!

I am so sorry that happened :( thank goodness no one was hurt!

msmom79
02-21-2005, 10:53 PM
im so sorry this happened to you and your family,i am glad that you are all safe.please keep a log of all the info you get for this as you may need to file damages in small claims court ,if the boy didnt have insurance,or if the parents dont fix it,good luck to you and keep us all updated on this!! hugs to you and your family, ann

cpbaby
02-22-2005, 04:30 AM
Thanks all.

We are turning it in on our homeowners insurance this morning and letting them take care of it. Our rates will go up, but I see no other way around it. The police lady told me that the pregnant girly's car insurance would pay, but if he was drunk, I bet it doesnt. His parents SAY they will make sure it is taken care of but I cant sit around IN FEBRUARY, WITH A HOLE IN MY WALL and wait. I am going to get some pictures in the daylight this morning and print them off to take to the insurance company with me. My agent will have to give me names for estimates because I dont have a clue.

I guess I will have to redecorate that room. The wallpaper and border was bought on clearance 8 years ago and the paint was a mis-mix at the local paint store that is out of business now. I have no more and no way of getting more.

Poor Nick was so rattled he slept in the living room floor last night.

miralys
02-22-2005, 04:58 AM
Wow! What a shock that must have been. I am glad you and the family were not hurt.

twinkiesmom
02-22-2005, 05:26 AM
Wow, what a fiasco. So glad that your son was out of the room at the time.

CatrinaF25
02-22-2005, 07:58 AM
Wow, what a fiasco. So glad that your son was out of the room at the time.
ditto! hugs!

Znith
02-22-2005, 08:08 AM
Holy crap! I wish you the best of luck with getting this mess straigtened out and I hope Adam rots in jail for a while due to his stupidity.

Tasha405
02-22-2005, 08:25 AM
Oh gosh, how scary! They could have came right through your house!! I hope you get everything worked out. (((Hugs)))

one_angel
02-22-2005, 08:28 AM
For one thing, it's just down-right amazing how some parents will not watch their kids, no matter if they are older children. Also, I know that if you think it is a different car that smashed your house, I'm sure you could find it somewhere around that apartment or the police can see run some information and possibly find it. That would definitely get that kid busted anymore. Praise be that none of you were around the room when it was hit and that he didn't hit anothe part of the house!

I am so sorry to hear that your insurance is going to have to pay for it. My friend's car was stolen, and they found who did it, and I think that in the end the guy didn't get charged with anything, but I do know that HER insurance had to pay for it and she had a 500 deductible! I pray that your deductible isn't very high and that it doesnt raise too much either. Insurance is so expensive anymore.

(((HUGS)))

JazzMama
02-22-2005, 09:02 AM
((HUGS)) I can't imagine ... so glad noone was hurt. Sending wishes that everything goes smoothly w/ insurance.

Azriel_LittleHawk
02-22-2005, 09:08 AM
WOW!! i am REALY glad your son wasn't hurt and further wasn't in teh room when it happened!!!

dui :rolleyes: friggin figures. what a boogerhead!!

g'luck an take care!!
Ciao!
Az

bribella
02-22-2005, 09:39 AM
That's terrible! I am so glad your son is okay. I hope you get this settled soon so you dont have to live in a house with a hole in it.

YankeeMary
02-22-2005, 09:57 AM
Thank God no one was hurt. Hopefully it will serve as a wake up call to the teen that was drinking and driving. He was lucky this time no one was hurt, could be the next time he could kill someone. I sure hate that your insurance has to pay for it. good Luck and God Bless.

schsa
02-22-2005, 10:38 AM
If Adam isn't 18 then his parents are responsible and they will have to pay for it one way or another. And little Adam needs to be in jail and get his life straightened out or you won't be the last house he hits. I would get a price on the cost to fix the house and present it to Adam's parents and ask for a cashier's check to cover the damage.

I hope that he learns something from this.

gshanny
02-22-2005, 11:05 AM
Been there, done that. I can understand your anger and frustration. I will say our insurance did NOT go up. I was so sure it would. We had a claim last summer for an awful hail storm that took out almost every roof in our town(our luck that our roof was 3 weeks old). A month later, and the night before school started, our neighbor drove through the back of her garage, across the alley, took out our fence, veered away from the pool and managed to fit between it and a cement building thing and took out the entire bay window during 100 degree weather. We weren't at home, but the cat and dog were pretty traumatized. All file drawers and things on shelves in the next room were thrown open. She did a number on the house that is for sure.
We used our insurance to come board up the hole the next day til it could be fixed. They fixed the fence, rebuilt the bay window, fixed the foundation and rebuilt the bay window foundation and gave us the money for paint and carpet since we decided to go ahead and take out the rest of the plaster and lath and put in sheetrock. The money for carpet included that room and the next one and the stairway since it was all the same carpet. It paid for a new futon(that I had been sitting in a half hour before she hit the house).
Despite 2 claims in 2 months ours did not go up. One was weather related. This one we just had to pay the deductible and we were the first to be reimbursed after her insurance paid up. Our insurance policy was to pay for new and her insurance paid the depreciated value of and still no raise in rates.
I hope you get it fixed quickly and have insurance that treats you as nice as ours did.
You will be able to laugh about it later. Heck, I was laughing that night. The insurance gave us the choice of companies to use for the work and the first one he read off was White Star and I busted a gut when he said that and asked them...you mean like Titanic, White Star?!?!
We never did talk to that neihbor again. She never called or asked if we were ok. Her DS did come over though to check on us. We just moved away from there so we don't have to worry about it anymore either.
I wish you lots of luck!!!!!

mimi37
02-22-2005, 01:39 PM
That must have been very frightening. Glad no one got hurt.

cpbaby
02-22-2005, 02:58 PM
Okie dokie, heres the update.

Adam is 23 or 24, WELL old enough to know better. He is currently on probation for various charges such as possession of Meth, B&E and so on. This didnt help his cause any, thats for sure.

I took today off from work and tried to get the insurance straightened out. I spent an hour at my insurance and they were VERY nice to me. They finally told me to go to the girls insurance and see if they will pay without going through my insurance. If the girls insurance gives me any type of trouble, I will then file through them and they will deal with her insurance.

I had to go to the police station to get the girls information but the police officer wasnt there yet. Jennifer(the lady in charge of police reports) told me she would call me when she found something out for me. The officer wasnt scheduled to come in today so Jennifer called her and she did get the car owners name............Edward Sxxxxxxx. It was a young girl, maybe 22, that was claiming she owned the car so I assume it belongs to her father. I bet this goes over WELL with him. I am supposed to find out about her insurance company later so I can call them. I have had two different people out to give me estimates for repair. The REALLY fun part is, it may be cheaper to replace the WHOLE house with vinyl siding than to replace the three pieces of aluminum siding. How lovely. Whatever. So we are in a holding pattern right now. Hopefully we will find out something new tomorrow or the next day.

OH, and I also found out today that the two outside walls in that room have NO INSULATION. I have called to get an estimate to get it blown in.

Siiiiiiiiighhhhhhh, when it rains, it pours, right?

MamaFairal
02-22-2005, 05:45 PM
OK the ? i have it was it really the g/f's car Adam was drivin and was the car damaged? You had said you didnt think he was really driving her car because you hadnt seen a car with a spoiler earlier.........which car was damaged?
man i hope this works profitable for you..........

* be sure to tell the insurance companies how "tramatized" you all are now and get compensated correctly!

latestdish
02-22-2005, 07:31 PM
God bless! I am SO sorry to hear you went through all of that. Thanking Jesus y'inz are all safe, and your son was not in that closet in his room at the time. Thank God y'inz are alive. Please let us know how you are doing. -Joy

cpbaby
02-22-2005, 07:44 PM
Right. I saw a car at that house less than 1/2 hour earlier and it was NOT the car that the gf claims he was driving. The car the gf claims he was driving(her DADDY'S CAR, btw) has one small scratch, thats it. I do not see how a car could do this amount of damage to my house and not get more than a scratch.

AND, both of the repair people that came to give me estimates told me that it is impossible to replace aluminum siding sincet hey dont make it anymore, more than likely the whole house will have to be replaced with vinyl. AND the paper, paint and carpet will have to be replaced in the bedroom due to the damage and the fact that the paper and paint is over 8 years old so there is no way to match it any more.

I spoke to their insurance(Dairyland, anyone have any experience with them?) and SURPRISE it hadnt been reported yet. It is now. I have a feeling this is going to get ugly before it gets better.

gshanny
02-22-2005, 08:49 PM
If your insurance is decent, and your deductible low enough you can spare it, it might be worth letting them fight it for you. That is why I went straight to my insurance and not the neighbors in my case. The case was settled about 9 or 10 months after it happened. They went back and forth with our insurance. So much of ours was labor intensive with all the digging and repairing foundation and pouring new footings for the bay window. My insurance never blinked at anything. They even paid me for replacement plants in the area she hit.
I will admit I have a temper at times so it was much better for my insurance to deal with hers. I would have gotten no where if they had started trying to tell me to just live with some of it like glass filled carpet, etc.
Good luck living next door to these people. I am sure that will make it stressful for a while. I am curious to see how this ends up for you.

Jaidness
02-22-2005, 08:57 PM
that sounds so scarey, glad everyone is ok. Sorry about all the trouble, good luck w/everything!

Hillbilly
02-22-2005, 09:03 PM
OMG...that is terrible. :eek: I'm sorry about your house,but thankful that none of you were injured.

NiteQueen
02-23-2005, 01:18 AM
All i can say is GOOD LUCK!!!!

MamaFairal
02-23-2005, 06:05 AM
i hope it all works out in your favor and Adam gets his license taken away this time(not that i think that would stop him from drivin)

GL

llbriteyes
02-23-2005, 07:35 AM
Wow. What a night! That's the strangest thing I've ever heard!

I'd check with the police department. You were a victim of several crimes last night, and there might be monies there from victims programs.

I'm glad everyone is ok, and just angry. :)

((((( BIG hug )))))

Linda

wyozozo
02-23-2005, 11:12 AM
Seems like gf's daddy has a bad driving record too.....around here Dairyland is called "High Risk" insurance as they are the only ones who will issue vehicle insurance to someone with a say a DUI! I have no idea how well they pay, but I do know their rates are astronomical for the policy holder.

Glad everyone is alright.

freebielover
02-23-2005, 07:50 PM
Wow, I read this story to my fiance the other night and he got the biggest kick out of it. His first words were "Is Adam stupid or something?" Good luck fighting the insurance companies, I am really glad no one was hurt, hopefully "Adam" will learn his lesson. Reading about his past record though, I highly doubt it!

belle5691
02-26-2005, 07:30 PM
Wyozo is right for Kansas area too. Dairyland insurance is high risk insurance for either driving records or financial too. Good luck. Really glad that no one was hurt.

gonnascream
02-27-2005, 05:33 AM
dairyland also covers motorcycles, I had to go through them a blue million years agao when I decided to get one.

I think whats gonna happen is dairyland is going to send out an adjuster to look at the house and the car, when when he see's whats up, they won't pay cause like you said, that car wasn't the car that hit the house. Hopefully you won't be up the river too much, but looking at the reality of it, you might be. You got hit by a 23 year old drunk meth head that don't have a pot to pee in or a window to throw it out of.

cpbaby
02-27-2005, 08:49 AM
Well, the adjuster says they will pay, BUT it will only be a depreciated amount. I have to get three estimates and turn them in before they will even tell me what they will pay. He was nice, but I guess he has to be. Our neighbor came over yesteday while I wasnt home(good move on his part) and talked to DH. He said Adam is mad at him for telling us who he was and that Adam is looking at 1-2 years in the state pen. I say good enough for him. He is currently out on bail, but since he violated his probation and had these other things, he will be going to jail.

I am having trouble getting cantractors to give me the estimates. They are all happy to come look, but then they dont come back and give me the final total. AND the one that has, didnt include my bush. I know, I know, its just a bush, but ITS MY BUSH!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v113/cpbaby/house_bush.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v113/cpbaby/house_bush2.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v113/cpbaby/house_siding.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v113/cpbaby/house_paper2.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v113/cpbaby/house_paper.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v113/cpbaby/house_inside.jpg

twinkiesmom
02-27-2005, 12:01 PM
He said Adam is mad at him for telling us who he was and that Adam is looking at 1-2 years in the state pen.

poor baby. Let this be a lesson that Daddy's done covering his butt.

queenangie
02-27-2005, 12:29 PM
Oh My Goodness!

So sorry this happened. (Don't know how I missed it the last 4 days online either.)
The good thing is that you were NOT injured and are physically ok.

Hope you are able to get everything fixed quickly.

Another good thing: did you notice your spring flowers coming up?