PDA

View Full Version : Mailbox is gone!!

amysusi
02-19-2005, 09:37 AM
Some jerko took out my mailbox!! Grrrrrrrrrrrrr! When I went to open the gate this morning, I saw the post laying on the ground. Something woke me up at 3 am, but it was one of those things where you're not sure if you heard something or not. So I went back to sleep.

There's no fixing it this time. It was one of those heavy plastic ones that the box snaps onto a platform on the post. Someone took it off before, and I was able to just snap it back on. But this time it's gone! The plastic post was slipped onto a wooden post buried in the ground. THe wooden part snapped at the ground.

I want to say I can't believe it, but I can. Some people around here can be so disrespectful, and I'm not really mad, but really, incredibly irritated. Hopefully the Landlord will get a new one with a door on it (the last one didn't, and I always hated that it was open right on a busy street for everyone to see).

NL1720
02-19-2005, 12:21 PM
We had the same thing happen to us last year. We bought one of the real good Rubbermaid full sized ones when we moved in four years ago. We had come home one evening, ate dinner, DH took the dog for a walk and at the same time me and the DD went to pick up a movie. 20 minutes MAX went by and when I drove up - IT WAS GONE! They stole the posts and all. DH could not believe it.

We reported it to the police, got an incident # and then took that to the local post office. They keep a record of those things to see if it happens alot. If they ever catch who did it - it's a federal offense with jail time.

amysusi
02-19-2005, 01:14 PM
I went out and investigated it more with the landlord, and we found a tire mark on the curb. Whoever did it was driving on the wrong side of the street, and that freaked me out even more. It was just a couple of weeks ago someone's van almost landed in our house and then this. DH says it was probably a drunk driver - uh, not making me feel any better, dear. The landlord is out there repairing it now. He found the box about a half mile away. Whoopee :rolleyes: At least the boys were outside when the mailman came by, and he didn't have to get out of his truck.

I think I'm going to sneak into my friend's car when they go on vacation in a few weeks. I could use one too.:p

Hillbilly
02-19-2005, 07:16 PM
I'm sorry about your mailbox.This reminds me of what happened here a few days ago.A young couple just built a new house across the road from us,well the other night hubby and I was sitting in the living room and heard what sounded like a car running.Hubby opened the front door and stood there and then went out on the porch and saw a truck take off a few feet from our driveway.The next day,our neighbor was outside and walked over and told us someone took his mailbox.I couldn't believe it,that's what the jerk in the truck was doing. :mad:

Shann
02-20-2005, 03:01 PM
what a mess. At least the landlord is fixing it.. that really bites that there is no door on it though, doesn't your mail get wet when it rains or snows? I couldn't imagine not having a door. Growing up ppl always hit our mailbox. We pretty much always had a dent in it and left it that way until the door was practically off since we'd have to replace it every few months. What is wrong w/ ppl today!

amysusi
02-21-2005, 08:48 AM
THe mailman usually pushes it to the back, so it doesn't get wet, but when it snows and then the snowplowers go by, I have to dig all the snow out of the box.

schsa
02-21-2005, 08:59 AM
What a mess!! PEOPLE!!! Sorry about your mail box. Time to make one out of bricks so if they hit it, it doesn't move.

JANBAB
02-21-2005, 10:25 AM
our mailbox was hit 5 times in one year! We live on ahighway and the speed limit is 55 (ha! they go at least 70!) so we got a PO Box. Now at least we won't miss our mail. I know how you feel. They won't let us have brick ones if the speed limit is more than 35 mph