PDA

View Full Version : My v-day gift!!!

ang in NC
02-13-2005, 10:12 PM
I get home from church today and having a pretty good day..
Husband hands me an envelope. I open it up and there is $20 and a v-day card. (Right now w/ all our medical bills it is like $100) I said thanks. Then he goes to tell me it was $20 that his parents gave him to buy some shoes! I told him to keep it and to buy him some shoes. What does he do. He puts it in his wallet. Am I wrong to want to cry???
Why didn't he just go to Kroger and buy me the $6.99 flowers? Better yet just give me the card.
What a day!

sugar206
02-13-2005, 10:31 PM
No you are not wrong I would totally be upset too. Maybe he will suprise you with something tomorrow. If not I would pout for a long time. Hope you get something cool tomorrow though!

evrita
02-13-2005, 10:39 PM
Well he was thinking about you and you did tell him to take it back.You should feel good that he was going to give you the money he needed for shoes that in itself wouldve made me think wow that was nice.

Even if you dont get something tommorow if times are tough just remember it isnt the gift it is his love that counts and all the little things he does for you.

Kyla Kym
02-14-2005, 12:44 AM
Am I wrong to want to cry???

NO!!! your not wrong to want to cry! I would have felt the same way, and have.

Your story reminds me of the time right after hubby & I was married. My SIL (the greediest of greedy) came over and wanted $20 that my hubby owed her for going together on flowers for decoration for their father that I never knew. I told her that the only money I had was the $20 that my parents had given me for my b-day. She said that would do and she needed it right then. I cried for the longest after she left because at 17 years old I was really excited about that $20 and it was to be the first time I was going to get to spend money on myself since I was married. Regardless to say that was 20 some years ago, and I've never forgotten that old bat doing that to me.

I think it was tacky of him to take it back! It was almost as if he wanted you to give it back since he told you it was a gift to him. What else could you have said to him other than he should keep it after he told you that. You would have felt greedy if you would have just said thanks and poked it in your pocket. What I probably would have done anyway would have been to go buy him some shoes for V-day with the $20 as my gift to him. I bet that's what you would have ended up doing as well if he hadn't of taken it back, right?
((((((((HUGS)))))))))

YankeeMary
02-14-2005, 05:18 AM
Angie I am so sorry. HUGS!!!

JKATHERINE
02-14-2005, 06:11 AM
I'm so sorry you're upset, but I agree with Evrita, at least he thought of you. My dh and I havent' had $ for Valentine's day in years. I understand your disappointment, but I don't see it as a reason to 'pout for a very long time' like another person suggested.

If you guys have $ problems often, maybe you should start a new Valentine's day tradition. My dh and I, like I said, never have money for Valentine's Day. We usually can't even afford cards for each other, sooo, we make them. A few days before the big day, I bring out construction paper, paper heart doilies, glue, glitter, markers, etc--lots of different embellishments and leave them out. When we have a little bit of time away from one another, we each make a beautiful card for each other.

I tell you what, this is something that started out of necessity, and now, even if we did have the money to purchase cards, we wouldn't. This is a special activity to both of us and it's always exciting to see what my card will look like each year. AND, no matter what our $ situation, I ALWAYS know I'm going to get somethingfor Valentine's Day--my card! :)

It is, after all, the little things that count. :)

Happy Valentine's Day!

buttrfli
02-14-2005, 06:42 AM
I would have cried as well. I agree that at least he thought of you BUT theres a point that it would have been better if he hadn't done anything at all (BTDT) in 12 DH has gotten me one valentines gift... and thats EXACTLY the way I like it! I am not a "surprise" person and I'd rather have a kiss than a gift that I don't like LOL

I know he loves me and he buys for me through the year so I really don't celebrate valentines day and its worked for me just fine :)

schsa
02-14-2005, 07:01 AM
You know, you should have taken the $20 and bought him a pair of shoes and let that be your gift to him. He needs shoes, you would like flowers but you don't need them. I think that you were being kind to him by letting him have the money back.

tljohn123
02-14-2005, 08:22 AM
He got you a card....he thought of you. My husband and I don't really do Valentine's either. I got a card as well...and that was fine with me. I even got an E-card...which was funny as heck. He thought of you.....and that means more than a present.

DAVESBABYDOLL
02-14-2005, 08:32 AM
He did get you a card and was thinking of you.When you told him take the $20.00 back,he did...if you say something about it now he will be upset,because the way men think,he will say "but,you told me to take it back" Men think differently than us women.

(((hugs)))

HAPPY VALENTINES DAY ANGIE! From me :)

angelarwyn
02-16-2005, 01:21 PM
Ya know, men are just really insensitive sometimes. Guess what my hubby got me for v-day. Absolutely nothing! I was POed. our anniversary was also yesterday, and guess what I got. Nothing! Blah! Not a card, not even a "Happy Valentine's Day" when I called him at work. Well, at least he was thinking of you. And I agree with Davesbabydoll that men think differently than women.

mlayton1994
02-16-2005, 04:27 PM
Same here. I got dh a card and a 6 package of socks. I know this isnt much but, it is something. What did I get nothing. You know what he told me I got a car and a digital camera (note I got it in Nov. of last year but, I did tell him then that if he got me that 400.00 digital camera that he would not have to get me anything until my bday). Dont get me wrong I love my digital and I am glad I got it but, it would have been nice to get a card. JMO.

At least he did something.

((hugs)).

ang in NC
02-16-2005, 08:11 PM
I'm ok w/ it now. I shouldn't of gotten upset. At least he works, goes to church. If I could just get Megan healthy I would be a happy woman.

CatrinaF25
02-16-2005, 08:20 PM
I'm ok w/ it now. I shouldn't of gotten upset. At least he works, goes to church. If I could just get Megan healthy I would be a happy woman.
oh huney your human its normal to get upset. dont beat your self up :)