PDA

View Full Version : MyPoints - grrrr

borderline
02-11-2005, 07:30 AM
My mother has had a MyPoints account for many years. Just as she was going to cash out they asked for her ID. She faxed it to them and when her aco**** was not reinstated I wrote to ask why and they said they hadn't received it. So she mailed it, and again I had to write to ask why her account was not reinstated and again they said they had not received it. So the next time I sent a certified letter containing her Sprint ID badge with photo, a voter's registration card and a birth certificate to show birthdate. And again I emailed to ask why the account was not reinstated. I got this reply:
----------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for contacting MOPS. Please fax a legible copy of a valid State or Federal photo Identification to
(415)615-1122, ATTN: MOPS. State-issued ID cards, military ID, etc. are also acceptable if you do not have a driver's
license or passport. Your Sprint ID badge is not satisfactory ID.

Again, we do not wish to inconvenience you. However, we cannot open your account until we have received the requested document. Our Terms of Service, which you agreed to when you joined the program, indicate that members must provide only true and accurate information -- this includes name and date of birth. With the exception of the photo, this is the same as the identifying information you were asked for when you opened your account. Please note that MyPoints NEVER asks for Social Security numbers, Drivers License numbers, or any other information that would compromise one's identity. We understand your concern - you may send the requested information with all but full name and date of birth blacked out. When we verify your signup information, the account may be reactivated. The information can be faxed to (415)615-1122, or you may send a physical copy to:

--------------------------------------------------------------

so I emailed anain and asked if a voter's registration card was not a legal state ID and they wrote back:

----------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for contacting MOPS. A Voter Registration and a copy of your work badge are not the documents needed to verify account information. Your account will remain disabled until we receive the correct documentation.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Do I need to write back and ask "well, how about the voter's registration card, the Sprint photo badge and the birth certificate?" BTW, my mother had never driven, and has never needed a state ID.

joni1269
02-11-2005, 07:32 AM
She must have a lot of points for you to go to so much trouble. Sorry to hear about your difficulties - they never made me send a copy of my ID.. When did they start this??

vailr
02-11-2005, 09:35 AM
I'd suggest, to avoid arguing with them: Go to your local driver's license branch, and for ~$6, get a "state issued photo identification card". These work, when required for I.D. purposes, in place of an actual driver's license; for those who do not wish to (i.e.: bicyclists), or cannot (i.e.: the blind, or otherwise physically unable), operate a motor vehicle.

Shaykitgrl
02-11-2005, 09:36 PM
Borderline, this same thing happened to me, my mom and my aunt!!! We finally just gave up with them. I wish you the best of luck!!!

kirsche
02-11-2005, 09:52 PM
Hate to say it, but I agree with vailr. Get her a state id card.

It's standard legal practice to only accept military id or a drivers license/permit/state id card as valid proof of identity. In some cases an id showing residence on an indian reservation is acceptable, but most places will fight you about it. In fact, most places will even hassle you with a military id, unless there's a big base nearby.

I'm actually surprised she hasn't had something like this happen before now. Most non-drivers start getting hasseled about not having "proper" id before age 20.

Ultimately, MyPoints is in the right legally, and they know it, so they aren't going to give in. Getting the id card is a nusance, and it means your mom might have to get called for jury duty some day, but it's the only way you're going to get MyPoints to pay. Might as well give up and save yourself the cost of more certified letters.