PDA

View Full Version : No you DON'T want a SG :(

buttrfli
02-10-2005, 06:14 PM
Got up this morning and discovered that our sugar gliders didn't eat last night and as far as I know they didn't get out of bed (they are usually up from 9pm to 7am) so I checked on them because they were crabbing a lot. Everything looked fine. So I went about getting the kids ready for school. The gliders kept crabbing so I thought that Lucy was trying to get the baby off of her so I made DH get them out. Lucy had the baby's leg in her mouth, but was not being aggressive, it was like she was trying to keep the baby in the bag (its ears had opened and it started becoming mobile the past few days)

*STOP HERE IF YOU ARE EASILY GROSSED OUT*

So DH sits on the couch and takes a nap with Lucy, Monkey and the baby... he had gotten them calmed down and all were sleeping well. So he takes them back to their bed in the cage. About 15 minutes later, I went to lay down and they all started crabbing again and all of the sudden Monkey runs out of the bed and runs around the cage wildly. I get up, get their bed out and find that Lucy had started eating her baby :( She didn't get far, and it was more like it had been plucked of its fur on part of it. So we take the baby and immediately get ready to hand feed it until it can eat on it own (this is a 2 month process every 2 - 3 hours) The baby didn't seem to be harmed much, just missing some of its fur, so I wrap it up like a little papoose and tucked it down in my bra (they don't produce body heat and thats how they are kept warm.. not something I have not done until now. they are only about the size of a small thumb)

It seemed to be doing really well. It had eaten quite a bit and slept most of the time. So I go to get a baby cage ready with a heating pad and I had to put the baby down for a few to get it ready. I was only gone for no more than 5 minutes and it had died :( I bawled like the biggest baby you have ever seen. I made sure it was in a warm place and everything :(

This is the 2nd baby Lucy has done this to.. (we didn't find the 1st one until it was too late :( )

So, instead of contacts this year, I am going to get the male neutered. I can't do this again for sure :( I was told that a chinge in diet could prevent this from happeneing again, but I don't even want to take the chance. :(

Sorry so long and sorry about the graphic part.... I am just sad for that little baby. :(

Momof2totsand1teen
02-10-2005, 06:19 PM
Awwwww, poor little baby. (((Hugs))) Sorry:(:(:(

Willow
02-10-2005, 06:19 PM
I'm so sorry that happened. :(

wubbywa
02-10-2005, 06:52 PM
I am not sure what a sugar glider is but I went through the same things when our 2 "female" rabbits had babies. It was a very big shock to find 5 babies one morning and the mom or "father" had pushed them out of the cage. I kept them warm and feed them and for 5 days I lost 1 each day. It is sad when you try so hard to keep them alive and they dont make it.

buttrfli
02-10-2005, 07:02 PM
I am not sure what a sugar glider is .

Heres my other thread that tells you what they are

http://forums.bigbigsavings.com/showthread.php3?t=459323

Tasha405
02-10-2005, 07:30 PM
Aww :( (((Hugs)))

renagade
02-10-2005, 07:31 PM
my daughter tried to nurse two little puppies that were premmies. We got one to live but my fav. died and I cried too. I get so attached to things. I know how you feel!!!!!!

Shann
02-10-2005, 07:41 PM
*hugs* i'm sorry this happened to you. :(

YankeeMary
02-10-2005, 07:43 PM
AWWW Teri I am so sorry....my heart hurts for you.

mlayton1994
02-10-2005, 07:48 PM
((hugs))

queenangie
02-10-2005, 08:46 PM
Some animals just don't make good parents. So sorry this happened.

(Some people just don't make good parents either, but that's a different thread.)

tammy77
02-10-2005, 08:54 PM
I am not sure what a sugar glider is but I went through the same things when our 2 "female" rabbits had babies. It was a very big shock to find 5 babies one morning and the mom or "father" had pushed them out of the cage. I kept them warm and feed them and for 5 days I lost 1 each day. It is sad when you try so hard to keep them alive and they dont make it.

Just so you know so should remove the male from the cage when youfind out the female is pregnant.We learned the hard way when one of the rabbits we had had babies.

irrelevant0
02-10-2005, 09:10 PM
i am so sorry to hear this. :( poor baby. i know it is hard when a pet dies, even if you haven't had it very long. my pet mouse died a few days after i got him, i was still upset. at least you know that you did everything you could to try and save the baby. :) his last moments were better because of you. it is very selfLESS of you to have monkey neutered rather than get yourself contacts. that says a lot about the kind of person you are. :)

msmom79
02-10-2005, 10:15 PM
im so sorry this happened to you.i have raised alot of puppys and kittys,some of them passed on and it was very hard,cause i tryed so hard.i can say the last litter of kittys i raised by eye dropper lived,i still have smokey who is 2.it will get easier for you,never give up trying to save a life,human or animal.ann

schsa
02-11-2005, 07:01 AM
I wonder why they eat their young. I don't understand if it's because they don't think that the baby will survive or what? Any insight out there?

Willow
02-11-2005, 07:12 AM
When I was little my mother used to have rabbits and she said that one time the male ate some of the babies. I guess it's very common and that you're supposed to put the male in a seperate cage once you know the female is pregnant. She didn't know that until afterwards but from then on she always kept the male in a seperate cage.

buttrfli
02-11-2005, 07:39 AM
I wonder why they eat their young. I don't understand if it's because they don't think that the baby will survive or what? Any insight out there?

I talked with a rescuer this morning and she was telling me there are many reasons why animals eat their young. Sometimes when the mother has has a lot of babies, its difficult for them to produce milk so they can't feed the and they kill them. She also said that they may know there is something wrong w/ the baby... all kinds of reasons... I'm just glad it isn't natural for us to do that :eek:

I feel TONS better after talking w/ the rescuse lady. Since Lucy is probably already preganet again, she is going to help me get set up for a new baby (just in case) and she told me all of the warning signs etc. She also gave me info for her vet to get monkey fixed (1/2 the price of my vet) The lady was so very supportive and we seemed to connect quickly and I feel more comfortable having someone who has been through this hundreds of times to help out. :)

Thanks guys :)

joni1269
02-11-2005, 07:54 AM
I am very sorry this happened to you! I am sure it wasn't your fault -