PDA

View Full Version : Woman admits Iraq heroism story was hoax

Jolie Rouge
02-10-2005, 09:19 AM
Thursday, February 10, 2005

GRAND JUNCTION, Colorado (AP) -- A woman concocted a heartbreaking story of how her soldier husband died a hero in Iraq -- and then admitted the story was all a hoax. "I think I need some serious counseling," 24-year-old Sarah Kenney told The Daily Sentinel newspaper on Wednesday editions. "This is the most serious lie I've ever told, but I've been caught in many lies."

The touching story of how Spc. Jonathan Kenney took a bullet meant for an Iraqi child on January 29 was reported by a score of Colorado media after a news release was sent to them by the nonprofit group Homefront Heroes.

In reality, there is no record of a soldier with that name dying in Iraq. Sarah Kenney is married to a man named Michael Kenney, and he is neither currently in the military nor serving in Iraq.

Mesa County District Attorney Pete Hautzinger said Tuesday that he had convened a team of investigators to look into the hoax and see if any laws were broken.

Phyllis Derby, founder and president of Homefront Heroes, said Kenney convinced her group the story was true. The account of the fictitious man's death was then released to local media. "I would have never thought in a billion years that she was lying to me," Derby said. She said the donations on behalf of the fictitious soldier would be returned.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/02/10/gi.hoax.ap/index.html

Victorious
02-10-2005, 09:33 AM
Geesh.. some people! :mad:

iluvmybaby
02-10-2005, 10:27 AM
GRAND JUNCTION, Colorado (AP) -- A woman concocted a heartbreaking story of how her soldier husband died a hero in Iraq -- and then admitted the story was all a hoax.

"I think I need some serious counseling," 24-year-old Sarah Kenney told The Daily Sentinel newspaper on Wednesday editions. "This is the most serious lie I've ever told, but I've been caught in many lies

OMG how sick is that, she does need some serious counseling, turns out she is married to her boring husband who has never been in the military and certainily never been over in Iraq

Angelseyes28
02-10-2005, 10:58 AM
turns out she is married to her boring husband who has never been in the military and certainily never been over in Iraq

Why is it that just because her husband has never been in the military or to Iraq, that it makes him a "boring husband". I'm sorry but that is the most absurd statement I have ever heard.

irrelevant0
02-10-2005, 09:34 PM
Why is it that just because her husband has never been in the military or to Iraq, that it makes him a "boring husband". I'm sorry but that is the most absurd statement I have ever heard.

i agree ...

msmom79
02-10-2005, 10:07 PM
it is sad she did this,and she admits she needs help,so i will leave it at that! at least she owned up to lying,just think about the ones who dont own up,and then we can all go from there!! jmo,ann

joni1269
02-11-2005, 08:04 AM
You would think the Colorado press would check these stories out before printing them. I wonder what motivated her to do this?

Tasha405
02-11-2005, 12:17 PM
ITA!

DAVESBABYDOLL
02-11-2005, 02:22 PM

I agree,but maybe she meant that the gal who lied thinks her hubby is boring because he isn't in the military in Iraq? That make sense??