PDA

View Full Version : New Budget - UGH!

turbob
02-08-2005, 11:25 AM
One of the programs having funding cut in the new federal budget is the safe and drug free school programs. This means money being taken from the free breakfast and lunch programs (according to the news on channel 10 this morning). I know FOR A FACT that for a lot of the kids in my city these meals are all they get to eat. WHAT is wrong with our government? Seems to me if we have money to beef up homeland security, we should have money for hungry kids. Flame me if you want, but it really makes my heart hurt to think of kids going hungry.

justme23
02-08-2005, 11:54 AM
Well apparently we DON'T have the money to beef up homeland security completely... according to the local news here some of the funding he is pulling has to do with bioterrorism on a local level... or maybe that's just where DFW is choosing to apply the funds he pulled... honestly, I haven't payed a lot of attention, but I do see he is pulling funding from a lot of needed stuff.

nosanity05
02-08-2005, 11:54 AM
One of the programs having funding cut in the new federal budget is the safe and drug free school programs. This means money being taken from the free breakfast and lunch programs (according to the news on channel 10 this morning). I know FOR A FACT that for a lot of the kids in my city these meals are all they get to eat. WHAT is wrong with our government? Seems to me if we have money to beef up homeland security, we should have money for hungry kids. Flame me if you want, but it really makes my heart hurt to think of kids going hungry.

No flames here! I've noticed a decline in the quality of our lunch program the past couple of years. A lot of the kids in our school rely on that free breakfast and lunch also. Our church has helped to pick up the slack, by feeding the kids during the youth group meetings, but, its only twice a week. I totally agree.....don't cut the kids lunch programs.

Jaidness
02-08-2005, 12:37 PM
I think alot of kids are going to get left behind in this new budget. I mean to cut free breakfast and lunch programs? I hear all the time about how breakfast is the most important meal of the day for kids. What is the logic in that? Poor kids. And to cut out drug awareness education, in a time when we have to lock up simple cold medications due to drug problems? I dunno kinda scarey.

nightrider127
02-08-2005, 02:02 PM

You wont get any flames from me. I don't believe in kids going hungry. I am originally from southeastern Ky and I know a lot of those kids depend on that free breakfast and lunch program. Another blow to a poverty stricken area.

YNKYH8R
02-08-2005, 02:13 PM

Well this is the gamble you take when voting in government officals. I'm sorry to hear about this though. Maybe if the school was a military instalation then they'd get the money they need. :(

Blondiex46
02-08-2005, 04:46 PM
Well my kids get the free breakfast and lunch and also the Safe Free and drug programs are very important, he wants more money for the war.

llbriteyes
02-08-2005, 06:32 PM
Oh Lord... don't get me started on the budget!

*He* wants to send more money overseas, when there are children starving in our streets.

Thanks George.

twinkiesmom
02-08-2005, 06:55 PM
The last thing we need to beef up is defense spending. We are gonna be the country full of paupers, there isn't gonna be another country around that'll help us. We can't even help ourselves. Why do we hafta try to be the bandaid for other counties?

grrrr.

I voted Kerry. With good reason. I knew George wanted to be the president of Iraq vs U.S.

YankeeMary
02-08-2005, 08:28 PM
Very unfortunate, all I can say is, it will only get worse.

aneisu
02-09-2005, 09:24 AM
Well this is the gamble you take when voting in government officals. I'm sorry to hear about this though. Maybe if the school was a military instalation then they'd get the money they need. :(

If only this were true... I've heard several stories of the soldiers practically being starved. Some only get one meal a day and it isn't even hot! But the company providing the food is a part of Haliburtton - so what do you expect. Instead of allowing the soldiers to fix their own food really cheaply (and having more than enought) this administration apparently feels its a good idea to pay millions a month for our men and women to get food that most of us wouldn't feed our pets.

YYounghouse
02-11-2005, 05:14 AM
this reminds me of an old bumper sticker

" It will be a great day in America when schools have everything they need.
and the military has to have a bake sale"