PDA

View Full Version : Not Re-Enlisting

YNKYH8R
02-08-2005, 09:54 AM
I finally went to my Commanding officer and First Sergeant and informed them that I am not reenlisting for a seconf time. I’ve been in for 11 years (12 when I finally leave). It just feels so good to have that monkey off my back and can close the door on this chapter in my life. :)
I can finally concerntrate on my family and career without the threat of going overseas. :D :D :D :D :D

buttrfli
02-08-2005, 10:02 AM
I am happy for you and your family :)

Thank you for all you have done! :D

Urban Cowgirl
02-08-2005, 10:27 AM
My husband will have 10 years ADUSA this April and he is not reenlisting either. They keep making him go to all these retention functions and stuff ....its getting really annoying. He signed a dec statement almost 4 years ago, still they are persistent. We are on the count down though because we fully expect them to go to stop loss again very soon. Hoping its after he gets out. WE want to come home!!!

newwiccan
02-08-2005, 10:34 AM
My husband just got re-deployed to Iraq in January. He called the other day and said when he's last 2 years are up, he's getting out. He's tired of being gone all the time. Emma will be one in April and he's so afraid she won't know him.

Jaidness
02-08-2005, 10:36 AM
congrats? I am sure it wasn't an easy decision but I am happy for your family. God Bless.

Tasha405
02-08-2005, 11:04 AM
congrats? I am sure it wasn't an easy decision but I am happy for your family. God Bless.
Same here. :)

YNKYH8R
02-08-2005, 11:24 AM
Thank you for the kind words. It wasn't easy because of how long I've been in and because I wanted to go for my twenty year letter. I still can but I'd like a break. Plus with the current world situation...well you get the idea. Maybe when my youngest is 10 I'll give it another go.

Those retention issues? I hear you loud and clear. They are offering us 15,000 dollar sign on bonus if we reenlist with less than 16 years time in service. It is lump sum and not drawn over the life of the enlistment like my last bonus. I still get it when I come back later, for right now I'm looking forward to being with my wife and daughter.

nanajoanie
02-08-2005, 11:48 AM
I know where you are coming from. Mur thought he was done a few years ago and was "mustering" out. Then BAM!! he got papers that he was going to the sandbox. He was planning on 20 years total but saying "HELLO" to a bomb and you go permanently blind in one tends to change your mind. He will get a medical discharge. My heart aches for him missing his unit til they come home the end of March. But his family and ME are thrilled that he is stateside (Ft. Bragg) for awhile. He finally is looking forward to being in charge of his own life but it took a lot of soul searching for my GUNG HO soldier son.

You have already served your country and now it's time for you to be with your family. WTG!! Best wishes :)

YankeeMary
02-08-2005, 12:14 PM
Good for you!!! I am happy about that for your wife and daughter as well as you. Enjoy them!!!

kelly12569
02-08-2005, 04:43 PM
It sounds like you have definitely put your time in. And thank you! Im sure your family is thrilled with your decision. :)

bell_peaches
02-08-2005, 05:52 PM
Thank You to everyone that has put their time in. We Americans really really appreciate everything you all have done. Enjoy your family now you deserve to be home with them. Thank you so much.

Kelsey1224
02-09-2005, 08:29 AM
Thank you for the sacrifice you have made for us all. And congratulations! Enjoy your time with family!

schsa
02-09-2005, 09:55 AM
I don't blame anyone for not re-enlisting. This war is going to go on for a very long time. Better here with your family. You've put in your time.

YNKYH8R
01-09-2006, 09:44 AM
So I just found out that after this semester I will loose my Montgomery GI bill benefits because I’m finishing up with the Army Reserve. I’m so pissed. I finally decide to go to college and I have no benefits through the military. After 12 years I have nothing but a house to show for it. What a waste.

I have to call the VA office to see if there is another program I can fall under. But I’m not too optimistic.

Somewhere Technologist is laughing his butt off.

suzski
01-09-2006, 10:28 AM
Did you put your $1200 in to the Montgomery GI Bill when you joined? If so, the fact that you're getting out will not affect your GI Bill, as your benefits are good for up to 10 years from the date of your last discharge or release from active duty.

http://www.military.com/Resources/ResourcesContent/0,13964,32674,00.html

I just wanted to clarify this, as there are many people out there not in the military who have no idea of the benefits of military service.

YNKYH8R
01-09-2006, 11:20 AM
That doesn't sound familiar, at least I don't remember them telling me that 12 years ago. (Sigh) I'm just going to have to bite it in the end. It just feels like such a waste. All those years going to weekend drills for nothing.

Willow
01-09-2006, 11:38 AM
Somewhere Technologist is laughing his butt off.

I don't know why but I immediately thought of him as I was reading this post. LOL I'm sorry that you won't be getting the benefits. :(

suzski
01-09-2006, 12:57 PM
All those years going to weekend drills for nothing.

Sorry, didn't realize that you are a reservist. I was applying active duty rules here.

Fred12
01-12-2006, 12:10 AM
Did you put your $1200 in to the Montgomery GI Bill when you joined? If so, the fact that you're getting out will not affect your GI Bill, as your benefits are good for up to 10 years from the date of your last discharge or release from active duty.

http://www.military.com/Resources/ResourcesContent/0,13964,32674,00.html

I just wanted to clarify this, as there are many people out there not in the military who have no idea of the benefits of military service.

I was just going to say the same thing.

DJ88GIRL
01-12-2006, 02:13 AM
Thank you for the sacrifice you have made for us all. And congratulations! Enjoy your time with family!
I totally agree with the statement above , I couldn't have said it better myself ;)

ahippiechic
01-12-2006, 06:59 AM
I'd like to thank you also. You have a DD and another baby on the way, make the most of it! :)

YNKYH8R
01-28-2006, 06:45 AM
Well it's offical. I'm finished. My last day was on the 22nd. But I wasn't the only one to go two others got kicked out for inability to perform their Physical Fitness Test. I know another guy who has 5 months before he's done.
So if I'm ever to get back in would depend on some factors. And the probablity of my going back to the reserves is pretty slim; but we'll see.
So for right now I'm just going to enjoy my weekends for a change.

cls
01-28-2006, 07:01 AM
congrats hon.