PDA

View Full Version : Girls Sued For Leaving Cookies for Neighbor

Linus1223
02-05-2005, 08:30 AM
Gift of Cookies Crumbles; Girls Told to Pay $900

DURANGO, Colo. (Feb. 4) - A Colorado judge ordered two teen-age girls to pay about $900 for the distress a neighbor said they caused by giving her home-made cookies adorned with paper hearts.

The pair were ordered to pay $871.70 plus $39 in court costs after neighbor Wanita Renea Young, 49, filed a lawsuit complaining that the unsolicited cookies, left at her house after the girls knocked on her door, had triggered an anxiety attack that sent her to the hospital the next day.

Taylor Ostergaard, then 17, and Lindsey Jo Zellitte, 18, paid the judgment on Thursday after a small claims court ruling by La Plata County Court Judge Doug Walker, a court clerk said on Friday.

The girls baked cookies as a surprise for several of their rural Colorado neighbors on July 31 and dropped off small batches on their porches, accompanied by red or pink paper hearts and the message: "Have a great night."

The Denver Post newspaper reported on Friday that the girls had decided to stay home and bake the cookies rather than go to a dance where there might be cursing and drinking.

It reported that six neighbors wrote letters entered as evidence in the case thanking the girls for the cookies.

But Young said she was frightened because the two had knocked on her door at about 10:30 p.m. and run off after leaving the cookies.

She went to a hospital emergency room the next day, fearing that she had suffered a heart attack, court records said.

The judge awarded Young her medical costs, but did not award punitive damages. He said he did not think the girls had acted maliciously but that 10:30 was fairly late at night for them to be out.

peaceluver
02-05-2005, 08:35 AM
This is the reason people are afraid to be nice to each other.

Denise1972
02-05-2005, 09:09 AM
Here these girls are being nice... Its rare to hear of kids doing something nice, and now they have to pay for it. What kind of message is that leaving for them? This is totally rediculous. I agree that it is a little late to leave things on the porch, but at least it wasnt a flaming bag of crap meant to be malicious.

Willow
02-05-2005, 09:22 AM
The woman has an anxiety problem. I can see where that may have scared her or caused her to have an anxiety attack but I don't think she should have sued the girls. I have anxiety attacks but I don't go around trying to sue people. It's not their fault.

YankeeMary
02-05-2005, 09:23 AM
Such a shame. I could never imagine someone would go this far to sue. UNREAL!!! Heck, now days if a young teen is being nice, you'd think that in itself would cause a heart attack, but to sue for kindness, so wrong. I hope it doesn't ruin those girls from future acts of kindness.

irrelevant0
02-05-2005, 09:25 AM
sad yankeemary, but i'm sure it has. :(

when my phone rings and i'm not expecting it, it scares the crap out of me. maybe i should start suing ... :rolleyes:

mistressB
02-05-2005, 10:09 AM
and you wonder why this world is turning to crap

buttrfli
02-05-2005, 10:12 AM
Unbelieveable!! I am actually at a loss for words....

Sha
02-05-2005, 11:34 AM
Well I have one word for that woman..."Freak". What a shame! These girls were just being nice and having fun. That makes me worry about the halloween prank we do every year. We leave a bucket full of candy with a balloon at their doors and with a note attatched that they have to do the same to 3 other houses. We have a blast and the kids love it. Last year about 50+ families got involved. Now you have to worry about getting sued. Geesh..

iluvmybaby
02-05-2005, 11:37 AM
As a previous op said, this is why ppl are afraid to be nice to each other, we used to be a big community of friends where I live now, most of our neighbors have moved away and I dont know the new ppl that have moved in, I remember when it was safe to leave your doors unlocked and the keys in the ignition when you went places around town.

Shann
02-05-2005, 02:00 PM
That's just ridiculous! I think the lady should have been laughed out of the court and the case dismissed and made to pay all court costs. It wasn't like they put a bag of flaming dog poo on her pourch! Give me a break!

schsa
02-05-2005, 02:29 PM
And once again, no good deed goes unpunished. What a waste. We encourage people to do good deeds and then we sue them for trying to be kind. No wonder people won't be bothered to meet their neighbors. They might want to give them cookies!!!

faygokraze
02-05-2005, 04:12 PM
Why did she wait until the next day to go to the hospital? Thats all I want to know. People being greedy these days!

stresseater
02-05-2005, 09:11 PM
That's just ridiculous! I think the lady should have been laughed out of the court and the case dismissed and made to pay all court costs.
I think this post is the closest to the most disgusting part of the story. WHY was this ever even allowed to get this far. It says some really sad stuff about the court system and the judges who *supposedly* preside over them. :mad: :mad: :mad:

laughsalot
02-05-2005, 09:49 PM
Unbelieveable!! I am actually at a loss for words....

I am in total agreement with you!

justme23
02-06-2005, 02:19 AM
While I find it quite rediculous that this lady sued them... I have to admit, if someone knocked on my door at 10:30 at night and ran off I would probably have a severe panic attack as well... as someone who has them, I have no doubt that the woman was pretty scared... but as I said, I can't imagine sueing over it.

tsquared
02-06-2005, 06:38 AM
So very very sad..........what a way to punish a couple of loving and caring girls.

gshanny
02-06-2005, 08:26 AM
The article I had read about this had another part to it.
The teenagers’ families offered to pay Young’s medical bills, but she declined and sued, saying their apologies were not sincere and were not offered in person.
Sounds like they tried to pay her bills and she turned up her nose and was trying for more than that.

buttrfli
02-06-2005, 09:02 AM
The article I had read about this had another part to it.
The teenagers’ families offered to pay Young’s medical bills, but she declined and sued, saying their apologies were not sincere and were not offered in person.
Sounds like they tried to pay her bills and she turned up her nose and was trying for more than that.

What a big WITCH (use your imagination)

OMG!!! I Was so upset over this story that I am having a panic attack and think that I need to go to the ER :rolleyes:

I guess the lady can sue all she wants, but I will be REAL surprised if anything comes of it.... especially if a large news program (ie: dateline) gets a hold of it.

queenangie
02-06-2005, 09:20 AM
Those two teenagers were doing a good thing
and see what happens....

Tasha405
02-06-2005, 10:42 AM
That is just messed up!

Ya know, my doctor told me to bake cookies and take them around to my neighbors as a way to meet everyone. I'm so glad I didn't listen to her because I would probably be in jail or have a huge fine to pay.

jonette5
02-06-2005, 11:16 AM
I read this story in the St. Louis paper yesterday and I couldn't believe it! That woman is a great big ole WITCH! This is a case I'd like to see on Judge Judy! LOL! Judy would give this woman a good what for! This case has to be one of the stupidest ones I've heard about in a while. IMO any judge that would let it go through is stupid too! Well, one day that lady will get hers! What goes around, comes around! I hope those girls realize that this lady is just an old bat and don't let this stop them from doing nice for others.

Linus1223
02-06-2005, 11:52 AM
I read this story in the St. Louis paper yesterday and I couldn't believe it! That woman is a great big ole WITCH! This is a case I'd like to see on Judge Judy! LOL! Judy would give this woman a good what for! This case has to be one of the stupidest ones I've heard about in a while. IMO any judge that would let it go through is stupid too! Well, one day that lady will get hers! What goes around, comes around! I hope those girls realize that this lady is just an old bat and don't let this stop them from doing nice for others.
That was my first though...I would LOVE to see it on Judge Judy.

Linus1223
02-06-2005, 12:02 PM
Cookie klatch lands girls in court

Two Durango teens thought they'd surprise neighbors with nighttime deliveries of home-baked treats. But one woman was so terrified, she sued and has won.

By Electa Draper
Denver Post Staff Writer

Durango - Two teenage girls decided one summer's evening to skip a dance where there might be cursing and drinking to stay home and bake cookies for their neighbors.

Big mistake.

They were sued, successfully, for an unauthorized cookie drop on one porch.

The July 31 deliveries consisted of half a dozen chocolate-chip and sugar cookies accompanied by big hearts cut out of red or pink construction paper with the message: "Have a great night."

The notes were signed, "Love, The T and L Club," code for Taylor Ostergaard, then 17, and Lindsey Jo Zellitti, 18.

Inside one of the nine scattered rural homes south of Durango that got cookies that night, a 49-year-old woman became so terrified by the knocks on her door around 10:30 p.m. that she called the sheriff's department. Deputies determined that no crime had been committed.

But Wanita Renea Young ended up in the hospital emergency room the next day after suffering a severe anxiety attack she thought might be a heart attack.

A Durango judge Thursday awarded Young almost $900 to recoup her medical bills. She received nothing for pain and suffering.

"The victory wasn't sweet," Young said Thursday afternoon. "I'm not gloating about it. I just hope the girls learned a lesson."

Taylor's mother, Jill Ostergaard, said her daughter "cried and cried" after Judge Doug Walker handed down his decision in La Plata County Small Claims Court.

"She felt she was being punished for doing something nice," Jill Ostergaard said.

The judge said that he didn't think the girls acted maliciously but that it was pretty late at night for them to be out. He didn't award any punitive damages.

Taylor and Lindsey declined to comment Thursday, saying only that they didn't want to say anything hurtful.

Young said the girls showed "very poor judgment."

What's your take on this bizarre story? Share it in our online discussions.
Click here to log on and participate in the discussions.

You will need to click on the link that says 'Register Your Free Account' to create an account in order to post messages.

But Taylor had asked her father's permission to bake cookies for the neighbors after livestock-tending chores were done.

"I said, 'Go ahead, as long as I get some cookies,"' Richard Ostergaard said Thursday.

Just as dusk arrived a little after 9 p.m., Taylor and Lindsey began their mad spree. They didn't stop at houses that were dark. But where lights shone, the girls figured people were awake and in need of cookies. A kitchen light was on at Young's home.

Court records contain half a dozen letters from neighbors who said that they enjoyed the unexpected treats.

The cookies were good. It was a nice surprise. They weren't scared.

But Young, home with her own 18-year-old daughter and her elderly mother, said she saw shadowy figures who banged and banged at her door. When she called out, "Who's there?" no one answered. The figures ran off.

She thought perhaps they were burglars or some neighbors she had tangled with in the past, she said.

"We just wanted to surprise them," Taylor said.

Young left her home that night to stay at her sister's, but her symptoms, including shaking and an upset stomach, wouldn't subside. The next morning she went to Mercy Medical Center.

"We feel that knocking on a door and leaving cookies is a gesture of kindness and would not create an anxiety attack in the general public," Taylor's parents wrote to the court.

The girls wrote letters of apology to Young. Taylor's letter, written a few days after the episode, said in part: "I didn't realize this would cause trouble for you. ... I just wanted you to know that someone cared about you and your family."

The families had offered to pay Young's medical bills if she would agree to indemnify the families against future claims.

Young wouldn't sign the agreement. She said the families' apologies rang false and weren't delivered in person. The matter went to court.

Young said she believes that the girls should not have been running from door to door late at night.

"Something bad could have happened to them," she said.

-------------

And what message was that, Young?

Blondiex46
02-06-2005, 03:32 PM
what a shame, I hope this doesn't change their ideas of people AND I hope when I get old that I remember what it was like to be young.

freebielover
02-06-2005, 05:01 PM
OMG I have anxiety attacks while driving so I should sue all the people driving around me, and how about the towns I have to drive in. Should I sue my place of employment because they force me to drive? How about the company of the car I drive? This is so ridiculous!! The best thing is, her name is all over the net, people in her area know who she is so I have a feeling she's going to get harassed pretty bad. Karma baby!

msmom79
02-06-2005, 05:14 PM
So Very Unreal!! Wow I Would Be Happy If Some Teenagers Left Me Cookies.chocolate Chip Please!!

YankeeMary
02-06-2005, 05:24 PM
That is just messed up!

Ya know, my doctor told me to bake cookies and take them around to my neighbors as a way to meet everyone. I'm so glad I didn't listen to her because I would probably be in jail or have a huge fine to pay.
Tasha, you then could sue your doctor for telling you to do it, in others words she gave you bad advice and mislead you..lol...such a shame.

justme23
02-06-2005, 07:03 PM
What a big WITCH (use your imagination)

OMG!!! I Was so upset over this story that I am having a panic attack and think that I need to go to the ER :rolleyes:

I guess the lady can sue all she wants, but I will be REAL surprised if anything comes of it.... especially if a large news program (ie: dateline) gets a hold of it.

Something DID come of it... the article said they were ordered to pay 900 dollars...

twinkiesmom
02-07-2005, 07:51 AM
That's messed up, man. That old bat is never gonna have a friend. She'll get the looks in town of disgust. Watch the bat have a panic attack cuz of it and sue the whole freakin town. That case never should've gotten as far as it did. f'd up legal system, I say. Ppl cry foul over the least little thing. Sucha rotten shame.

Crick
02-07-2005, 08:11 AM
"The victory wasn't sweet," Young said Thursday afternoon. "I'm not gloating about it. I just hope the girls learned a lesson."

She thought perhaps they were burglars or some neighbors she had tangled with in the past, she said."

Think those two lines sum it up. Obviously this woman has problems with neighbors and set out to make an example of the two girls. She think she had "tangled" with the neighbors before just wait. I have a feeling she hasn't seen anything yet. If I sued everybody and everything that caused me to have anxiety and/or panic attacks, I'd never have to work again. Between going to court and all the money the judges will award I can live comfortably. Of course then I'd have to sue the judge(s) for awarding me so much money that I would have anxiety over how to spend it. Think this moron of a judge has set a very bad president. If it were my daughters I'd appeal and make sure the woman's name and address stayed in the paper so people would know what a wonderful neighbor she is. :mad:

buttrfli
02-07-2005, 10:37 AM
Something DID come of it... the article said they were ordered to pay 900 dollars...

Yea... my bad.... What I typed wasn't what I meant LOL

I meant to say, I'd be surprised if its not appealed.. makes major national news etc etc...

I have no Idea what I was thinking hwen I typed that hahahaha :D

gingerswit
02-07-2005, 11:15 AM
boy, that shows those 2 girls for trying to be nice in their community be. Yeh they were made an example of. They know now they should never nice again and that you can be sued for doing such nice things. What a world we live in today

eve17
02-07-2005, 11:16 AM
well i can see it was late and heart/ and or aniexty problems....................... But come on! :rolleyes: :eek: :mad:

justme23
02-07-2005, 11:31 AM
Yea... my bad.... What I typed wasn't what I meant LOL

I meant to say, I'd be surprised if its not appealed.. makes major national news etc etc...

I have no Idea what I was thinking hwen I typed that hahahaha :D

Oh, sorry... I see what you meant now... and I hope it is appealed as well!

I still think ppl are missing something here though... these girls did knock on a door at 10:30 at night... MOST of you ladies have children that go to bed WAY before then and I imagine a big portion of you are in bed before then too... How many of you would NOT have been frightened (in this day and age) by a late night knock w/ no one at the door? I am NOT saying what this woman did was ok... but I think if we were all honest that a majority of us would be a little scared by this... especially those of us who live in bigger cities.

gingerswit
02-07-2005, 11:53 AM
I would have been frightened knowing that 2 teens were doing something GOOD lol. They could have been out creating havoc, having sex, doing drugs, and drinking. They were instead doing well for others. Yes it was late and I might have even called the police, but the lawsuit NO. That was just horrible and selfish and just EVIL.

jayhawkfan
02-07-2005, 12:33 PM
Yeah it was late and I would have been a little scared but I wouldnt have sued them.

justme23
02-07-2005, 12:44 PM
Just so I'm clear on this point... as I've said in both my posts... sueing was indeed wrong.

cleaningla
02-07-2005, 12:54 PM
I can't stand it anymore. Why couldn't these girls have waited until the next day to take the cookies, during daylight hours. I would never let my children go arround delivering cookies at 10:30 PM.

I'm sorry, but WTH wants cookies at 10:30 at night?

The only people that come to my door that late, would be the police looking for somebody, a drunk that knocked on the wrong door or an axe murderer. :eek:

10:30 PM, unless it's an emergency, it's harassment or tresspassing. Come during the day.

Tasha405
02-07-2005, 02:31 PM
Tasha, you then could sue your doctor for telling you to do it, in others words she gave you bad advice and mislead you..lol...such a shame.
Uh oh! She's had it now!

Tasha leaves this thread to call her lawyer LMAO

jayhawkfan
02-07-2005, 02:42 PM
Just so I'm clear on this point... as I've said in both my posts... sueing was indeed wrong.

Yes you were clear. This was my first reply in this topic, I was just giving my 2 cents also :D

justme23
02-07-2005, 02:47 PM
Yes you were clear. This was my first reply in this topic, I was just giving my 2 cents also :D

Oh no... that comment wasn't meant just for you! I'm sorry! You weren't the only person that had said it so I just wanted to make sure no one thought I was condoning this woman suing anyone... just that I would have been very upset if someone knocked on my door at 10:30 at night as well... and as cleaningla said, I would never let my kids out after 10 to randomly knock on neighbors doors... but then, I live in DFW and I'm not so sure they would have waited until the next day to react to something like that... hell, ppl get shot here for just getting in the wrong lane at the wrong time... I can't imagine what someone would do if somebody knocked on their door too late at night!

gingerswit
02-07-2005, 03:14 PM
I too wasn't refering to anyone just giving more of my too cents lol. I too might be upset, but I think the lawsuit thing is horrible. I wish I lived close to her lol. I would leave doodoo on her front porch and she would know what scared really is. Ok I wouldn't but It would really serve her good for taking advantage of this situation.

sweetcandy
02-07-2005, 03:19 PM
I wonder if she ate the cookies?? lol

Jolie Rouge
02-07-2005, 03:28 PM
Cookie klatch lands girls in court

The July 31 deliveries consisted of half a dozen chocolate-chip and sugar cookies accompanied by big hearts cut out of red or pink construction paper with the message: "Have a great night."

The notes were signed, "Love, The T and L Club," code for Taylor Ostergaard, then 17, and Lindsey Jo Zellitti, 18.

Inside one of the nine scattered rural homes south of Durango that got cookies that night, a 49-year-old woman became so terrified by the knocks on her door around 10:30 p.m. that she called the sheriff's department. Deputies determined that no crime had been committed.

Just as dusk arrived a little after 9 p.m., Taylor and Lindsey began their mad spree. They didn't stop at houses that were dark. But where lights shone, the girls figured people were awake and in need of cookies. A kitchen light was on at Young's home.

But Young, home with her own 18-year-old daughter and her elderly mother, said she saw shadowy figures who banged and banged at her door. When she called out, "Who's there?" no one answered. The figures ran off.

She thought perhaps they were burglars or some neighbors she had tangled with in the past, she said. Young left her home that night to stay at her sister's, but her symptoms, including shaking and an upset stomach, wouldn't subside. The next morning she went to Mercy Medical Center.

The girls wrote letters of apology to Young. Taylor's letter, written a few days after the episode, said in part: "I didn't realize this would cause trouble for you. ... I just wanted you to know that someone cared about you and your family."

The families had offered to pay Young's medical bills if she would agree to indemnify the families against future claims.

Young wouldn't sign the agreement. She said the families' apologies rang false and weren't delivered in person. The matter went to court.

The girls only stopped at homes where the lights were on, it was a rural community ( been there, done that ), left a signed note with hearts & flowers.... come on !

The woman left the house - how did she miss the cookies on her doorstep - did she assume they were poisoned ? She was't alone, did she drag her elderly mother and 18 year old daughter out of the house too ?

They had writen apologies and offered to pay her medical bills prior to going to court; that should show that they acted "in good faith".

I agree with Crick.

Obviously this woman has problems with neighbors and set out to make an example of the two girls. She think she had "tangled" with the neighbors before just wait. I have a feeling she hasn't seen anything yet.

I think she saw $$$ and that says more about her charcter than anything else.

buttrfli
02-07-2005, 03:42 PM

:eek: LMAO

midnyte
02-07-2005, 11:00 PM
Ok, this one really pissed me off. I am astounded at the legal community for this. As I did some googling on this, here is what I found:

Two girls won't have to pay fine, Station raises money
Saturday February 05, 2005

DURANGO, Colo. (AP) Two teenage girls who got in trouble for surprising their neighbors with homemade cookies will not have to pay nearly $1,000 in medical bills for a woman who says she was so startled that she had to go to the hospital.

Radio station KOA-AM of Denver raised more than $1,900 from listeners Friday to pay the girls' $930.78 fine. The rest of the money will go to a charity dedicated to victims of the Columbine High School massacre.

The story unfolded when teens Taylor Ostergaard, 17, and Lindsey Jo Zellitti, decided to bake chocolate chip and sugar cookies and place them outside their neighbors' doors with large red or pink construction-paper hearts that carried the message, ``Have a great night'' and were signed with their first initials: ``Love, The T and L Club.''

The trouble began when they approached the home of Wanita Renea Young, 49. Young said she heard someone banging on the door of her rural home late in the evening. She went to the door and saw ``shadowy figures'' but they refused to answer when she called out to them.

The teens said they did not answer when the woman called out because they wanted the treats to be a surprise.

Young said she was so frightened, she spent the night at her sister's home, then went to the hospital the next morning because she was still shaking and had an upset stomach.

The teens offered to pay Young's medical bills but she insisted on going to small claims court. Judge Doug Walker, after hearing the teens explanation, awarded medical costs but declined to order punitive damages.

``The victory wasn't sweet,'' Young said. ``I'm not gloating about it. I just hope the girls learned a lesson.''

Meanwhile, Richard Ostergaard, father of Taylor, got a restraining order against Young's husband, Herb, in county court, claiming he continues to make harassing telephone calls to the Ostergaard residence.

Wanita Young said, ``This has turned into quite a fiasco. It's something that never should have happened and it's just devastating. My phone hasn't stopped ringing. My life has been threatened and I'll probably have to move out of town.''

(Copyright 2005 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

I'm really glad to hear that the girls won't have to pay. And although I don't condone harassment, I can't say I feel sorry for her. She should have (and her lawyer) should have known that her address would be on public record, and her phone number was probably not that hard to find. They should have known there would be backlash. Bet she wishes now that she would've accepted their offer for medical expenses, whether or not she felt they were sincere.

twinkiesmom
02-07-2005, 11:20 PM
Bet she wishes now that she would've accepted their offer for medical expenses, whether or not she felt they were sincere.

betcha you're right.

That's great the community came together to help in this. Although I will still say . . . the whole thing never shoulda went so far.

Crick
02-08-2005, 06:33 AM
I agree with Crick.

I think she saw $$$ and that says more about her charcter than anything else.

I'm having an anxiety attack...Jolie agreed with me on something. Quick anybody know a good lawyer? :D

Heck I'm a grumpy old fart who suffers severe anxiety/panic attacks and even I wouldn't have been so mean as to sue someone for a RAOK. Guess I'll be sued. I left a gift bag filled with candy on my neighbors door for their little boy for Christmas. But then later the dad knocked on my door and said he knew I did it because I was always pulling surprises on the neighbors. Maybe I should sue him for knocking on my door late at night. Could have had a major anxiety attack, he might have had a gun or been looking to rob me.

JMO....The whole situation is about greed and money. If the woman was so frightened then she should have had the police come out. Sure they would have found the cookies. Also, why wait until the next day to go to the hospital? Anybody who suffers from anxiety/panic disorder knows what is going on. Most of the time I don't even know what brings on an attack but there are medicines to help the condition. Just a bunch of bull on her part. Hope karma bites her hard on the butt. Maybe next time when she really needs help from a neighbor they will all say too bad can't take a chance of being sued for trying to help out.

jayhawkfan
02-08-2005, 07:51 AM

What a great way to start my day, I needed a laugh LMAO :D

Jaxx
02-08-2005, 07:54 AM
I probably would have freaked if someone knocked on my door at night
leaving a box on my doorstep..and most likely i would have thrown the
cookies away fearing that someone was trying to poison me.
but i don't think that i would sue them for it.

LuvBigRip
02-08-2005, 08:16 AM
Father In Cookie Lawsuit Gets Restraining Order
TRO Is Latest In Rural Saga Involving Cookies Left On Porch

POSTED: 8:50 am MST February 7, 2005
UPDATED: 8:47 pm MST February 7, 2005

The father of a Durango, Colo., teenager, who was sued for leaving cookies on a neighbor's porch, now has a restraining order against the husband of the woman who filed suit.

Richard Ostergaard obtained the temporary restraining order because he said Wanita Young's husband, Herb Young, continues to call his home and harass his family.

It's the latest installment in a rural soap opera that could be called "How The Cookie Crumbles."

Wanita Young won a $930 judgment against two girls who left cookies on her doorstep last summer, claiming the incident gave her an anxiety attack, which required medical care.

Taylor Ostergaard and Lindsey Zellitti's story has garnered nationwide attention and the girls were in New York City over the weekend, appearing on the weekend edition of ABC's "Good Morning America."

The incident began last July when Ostergaard and Zellitti decided to skip a local teen dance and bake a batch of chocolate chip cookies for their nine rural neighbors. They left the cookies, along with anonymous notes, on the front porches of their neighbors. They thought it would be a nice gesture and knocked on the doors before running away to make certain someone found the cookies before any wild animals did.

Wanita Young told the Durango Herald that the incident frightened her.

"We heard this horrible banging on the door, like someone was trying to break it down," she told the newspaper. "I ran upstairs and called out 'Who's there?' three or four times. But no one answered me and when I looked out the window, there weren't any vehicles in sight. But I could see the silhouette of someone on the other side of the window. I got really scared and called the sheriff's department."

Three sheriff's deputies arrived and found the cookies along with a note that read: "Have a great night. Love, The T and L Club." The "T and L Club" stood for Taylor and Lindsey.

The deputies didn't know what the note meant and suggested the Young stay in a motel that night. Young's husband was out of town so she took her 86-year-old mother and 19-year-old daughter to her sister's house in Farmington, N.M.

"Driving down there, I was throwing up and feeling a lot of pressure in my chest," she told the Herald. "I thought I might be having a heart attack."

Young, 49, went to a medical center emergency room the next morning and her hospital bill was more than $1,400. Doctors diagnosed her problem as an anxiety attack.

Young said she was assaulted by one of her neighbors 15 years ago and thought the cookie incident might be related to that.

Young is a cashier at Wal-Mart and has been director of the Durango Food Bank since 1990. Ostergaard is a senior at Durango High School, and Zellitti, is a freshman at Colby College in Kansas.

Denver radio station KOA raised more than $1,900 from listeners Friday to pay the court fine levied against the two girls. The remainder of the money will go to a charity dedicated to victims of the Columbine High School shootings.

Young said her phone hasn't stopped ringing and her life has been threatened.

"I'll probably have to move out of town," she said.

A hearing is scheduled on Feb. 17 to determine if the temporary restraining order against Herb Young should be made permanent.

Jolie Rouge
02-08-2005, 11:20 AM
I'm having an anxiety attack... Jolie agreed with me on something. Quick anybody know a good lawyer?

LOL !

I tender an official and heartfelt apology for startling you :D

twinkiesmom
02-08-2005, 01:19 PM
LOL !

I tender an official and heartfelt apology for startling you :D

doubt that's good enuf. Be on the lookout for a Summons and Complaint w/ Crick as the Plaintiff.

Tadbit
02-08-2005, 03:27 PM

Young said she believes that the girls should not have been running from door to door late at night.

"Something bad could have happened to them," she said.

This says a lot. She doesn't think thier apologies were sincere? Well I don't think the statement she made about them getting hurt was sincere either. She could care less. This is a crock of bull! I'm glad I don't live in her neighborhood. I have had knocks at my door at 10:30 and even later. I always turn on my porch light before I answer. If no one would be there, I would open the door anyway, because I live in a fairly good neighborhood, so I wouldn't be scared. I would be delighted to find cookies. I have opened my door to find presnts from neighbors on several occassions. The only feelings I ever got were feelings of gratefulness and love. I think this woman is getting her Karma back by the way the town has come against her. Hope if she does move, she doesn't move close to me. :eek:

Linus1223
02-08-2005, 07:46 PM
Well, what goes around comes around...I only hope that someone does something about that idiot of a judge for actually AWARDING the lady money!

Crick
02-09-2005, 06:42 AM
doubt that's good enuf. Be on the lookout for a Summons and Complaint w/ Crick as the Plaintiff.

You are so right. I don't feel Jolie's apology was sincere and from the heart.
:p Think she was just trying to save herself from being sued for mega bucks. LOL

Jolie Rouge
02-09-2005, 01:41 PM
You are so right. I don't feel Jolie's apology was sincere and from the heart. Think she was just trying to save herself from being sued for mega bucks. LOL

Don't have "mega bucks". How about a box of Girl Scout cookies, a coupon for 75 cents off any Kelloggs cereal, a wooden nickel and some gen-u-ine Mardi Gras beads ?