PDA

View Full Version : question about taxes and minors....help

Urban Cowgirl
02-04-2005, 02:02 PM
Chloe is one year old and she just got a 1099 in the mail for the interest she earned. Do we have to file taxes for her? May seem like a dumb question but I don't need the irs coming after my baby!!!

tracyb
02-04-2005, 02:24 PM
i have never got anything for my girls so i have no idea must be a huge mistake...i certainly hope so....lol

cleaningla
02-04-2005, 02:31 PM
It's not like $5,000 is it. I know there is an income level that if you're under that, you don't have to file taxes. You can if you have a refund coming, but you don't have to.

cleaningla
02-04-2005, 02:42 PM
I found this.

http://www.irs.gov/publications/p501/ar02.html#d0e1276

If your parent (or someone else) can claim you as a dependent, use this table to see if you must file a return.
In this table, unearned income includes taxable interest, ordinary dividends, and capital gain distributions. Earned income includes wages, tips, and taxable scholarship and fellowship grants. Gross income is the total of your unearned and earned income.
Caution:If your gross income was $3,100 or more, you usually cannot be claimed as a dependent unless you were under age 19 or a full-time student under age 24. For details, see Gross Income Test under Dependency Tests.
Single dependents— Were you either age 65 or older or blind?
□ No. You must file a return if any of the following apply.

Your unearned income was more than $800.

Your earned income was more than $4,850.

Your gross income was more than the larger of —

$800, or

Your earned income (up to $4,600) plus $250

faygokraze
02-04-2005, 02:47 PM
Just ignore it since she had no earned income!

flute
02-04-2005, 03:16 PM
Just ignore it since she had no earned income!

Now how do you know that? The OP didn't say she did nor didn't~You're purely speculating.

That statement could've came from Interest earned on a savings account.

Urban Cowgirl
02-04-2005, 04:00 PM
Thanks to all of you. the information that cleaningla found answers my question perfectly!!! I assumed we would not have to file for her, but knowing what happens when one assumes something.....I figured I better ask!!! LOL It was only like $22 of interest....my baby isn't rich.....yet!!! LOL :p

faygokraze
02-04-2005, 05:40 PM
Now how do you know that? The OP didn't say she did nor didn't~You're purely speculating.

That statement could've came from Interest earned on a savings account.

I was talking about her 1 yo CHILD. The child had no income.