PDA

View Full Version : school v/w please read

ladybugbhb
01-31-2005, 05:40 PM
i know this is long, but your school may do the same thing! check it out!

ok, you know becca had lice right?

so i take the girls to the school office to notify them and have them checked so they can go in class. even though i found it myself not, the school, i was nice enough to inform them. i definately want a lice check in the school so that it does not just keep going around right? well, i tell her principal haleigh did NOT have lice that just becca did. well, i should not have done that bc she then said well, i will not check haleigh's class. what???
then she said didn't i just check becca's class lst week? (so to me this means someone in some class had it last week right?
i said well, i did not get a note, she said well, it was a second grade class. so i am mad about that. i said well, you can check the whole second grade again. she said no, just her class. ???? they ONLY check the class the kid is in.

so, i go home and call the board of education and ask them about the lice policy. they say the same thing and that it violates the privacy of all the other kids in the school to check them!!!!!!! and that the best thing is prevention at home. i was fuming. like my house is not clean or what not. not to toot my horn, but i am a sahm and my house is VERY clean. no clutter, no dirt!
i said, well, i had to violate MY kids privacy by taking them into the school and informing them that she had lice. what did she say????? well, mam, you did not have to do that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ok, so if my kid has it, i don't have to tell anyone and not let them know so they can all be on the look out for it!!! so how many other parent have they told this too? and for what else? if my kids had some disease, should i not violate their privacy and tell???? come on, they are elementary kids!

then ( now this is what has me fuming)
becca gets home. i say becca did they find lice in your room? she said they did not check. i said sure they did. she said no. so i call the school and ask for the principal. guess what she said? oh, i forgot to go in and check didn't i? so now, there is another day going by some kids could have lice and not being treated!!!!! the only way i found becca's was bc i blow her hair dry in section adn i saw one. not many parents have to do this as becca's hair is so think. so they may not get noticed until they are scratching badly. aggggggghhhhhhh

sorry so long thanks for reading htis( if you got all the way through, lol

irrelevant0
01-31-2005, 05:54 PM
it was the same way when i was in elementary school 11 years ago. they are not allowed to check any kids at all at the school i went to, unless the parents give permission. even then the school nurse has to do and, and she is not allowed to tell anyone except the parents.

i hope you don't get another occurance, especially with thick hair! good luck.

freebielover
01-31-2005, 05:59 PM
I'm sorry but that is just wrong. My school had checks all the time for it, no one ever said anything about violating privacy. Also if more than 2 kids came down with it, they sent a note home to all the parents. Its not like my school was dirty or anything, quite the contrary, they nipped it in the bud, so it happened very rarely. I would fight that, what happens if it just keeps going around and around. The stuff you buy to get rid of it can be expensive, why should you have to keep dealing with it because your school system is a pain in the butt?

iluvmybaby
01-31-2005, 06:06 PM
I am 100% in support of what you just said. This privacy act stuff is a bunch of hoopla ((yeah the other word but I am not allowed to use it cause it is profanity)) I am 21, when I was in elemntry school they did lice checks, I did not feel as if my privacy was being compromised, or that I felt violated in any way, it was something that ALL children underwent so it is not like I was singaled out or embaressed, and I was never made to feel ashamed .
You might want to call your principal sheet and suggest that maybe the school can send home permission slips to parents and see if they would agree of lice checks, to satisfy the schools privacy law, they could be called in one at a time and checked without having to do so in front of their peers, that way they are legally coered and they still get checked, saving parents a lot of hassle.
In kindergarden I must have gotten lice a million times, we would all nap on padded mats and I guess they would jump from one child to another, because my hair was always clean/washed they liked me, much to my moms frustration, it got so bad that I had to cut my hair short because she would have to comb through my head hours and hours ((Literally it was past my rear end)) Which of course upset me.
So is the lice situation taken care of now? It is a BIG hassle you have to do the whole house from top to bottom or they will be RIGHT back

kygirl71
01-31-2005, 06:12 PM
I was at the doctors office waiting for those cold hands to touch me ( I had just found out I was pregnant with my DD2 ) the day my cell phone rang and I heard those dreaded words. " You need to come pick up your daughter, she has head lice." I freaked out. So anyway, I go and pick her up. Take her home and do all that wonderful treatment. I asked them at the school for my own sanity. Did anyone else have them? "Oh we cant tell you that!" I just stare at them. She finally says, " No, she wasnt the only one." So OK. I take her to the school the next morning for them to make sure I had gotten them all. Yeah, ALL Clear. HURRAY!! So then I take her back to school. 2 weeks later, I get that dang phone call again. I am ready to scream. So here I go back to the school again and pick her up. Take her home. And I cannot find one single egg, little critter or nothing. I search and search. NOTHING. So I take her back to the school the next morning for them to check her. The nurses cant find anything either except DANDRUFF. The girl that had done the checking knew my daughter had it before so she seen a flake of dandruff and said, Ok she's got em again. I nearly went thru the roof. They unexcused my daughter cause they called me and told me to come pick her up cause she had head lice when it was really dandruff. I told them straight out the next time they called me they better make dang sure she had them. Havent had anymore of those phone calls. :)

Willow
01-31-2005, 06:27 PM
I'm sorry but that is just wrong. My school had checks all the time for it, no one ever said anything about violating privacy. Also if more than 2 kids came down with it, they sent a note home to all the parents. Its not like my school was dirty or anything, quite the contrary, they nipped it in the bud, so it happened very rarely. I would fight that, what happens if it just keeps going around and around. The stuff you buy to get rid of it can be expensive, why should you have to keep dealing with it because your school system is a pain in the butt?

When I was in school the nurse would check every kid periodically. They didn't wait until they found out that someone had it. I think the checks were done a few times a year.

mistressB
01-31-2005, 06:44 PM
when i was in school they checked for headlice often. no one ever cared. i don't think there is anything wrong with it either.

SmucknFart
01-31-2005, 06:48 PM
I would definitely want to know if anybody in the school has it. Kids ride busses with kids from different grades. It's not like they have to give names out.

tracyb
01-31-2005, 06:59 PM
my dd's teacher checkers her class heads often and i like that you never know when she is doing it adn they odnt let you know if anybody else has it or not they this year they take her hair down and check all the others just did it up but she has dark hair so you can see anything if she did have it

justme23
01-31-2005, 09:51 PM
I must say... this is a new privacy policy I've never heard of... when I was in grade school the whole school (through cycles) was checked in one month intervals... I don't remember my privacy being violated... infact, I remember thinking it was an hour we didn't have to do work... I'd get together w/ other parents and pitch a fit... it's not like they have to disrobe to do this... I don't see how anyones privacy is being violated.

justmehere
01-31-2005, 10:27 PM
Our school checks often..they start at 1st grade and go till 6th...I never heard of a privacy thing??? :confused: but they onyl tell the childs parents if they find it on the child.

Listen to our rules on this....
A few years back a child got headlice.. so the nurse sent the child home...well the child came back..but still had the lice...so home the child went again..finally after the 3 time sending this child home, the school called..."Childrens Services" and reported this to them... now if your child gets sent home for head-lice, you have such amount of time to rid it on the child, and if you dont meet the schools timing, and rules the Prosecutor in your county is notified.. and you could face charges of child neglect, and go to court. :eek:

starlynn
02-01-2005, 02:15 AM
Last year when my dd was in kindergarden the school sent a note home saying someone in 2nd grade had head lice and they wanted all the parents of kids in K-4 to check there kids.

This privacy issue with everything has gone alittle to far. I understand like at the doctors office but I have notice it is almost everywhere. The next think you'll see is that you'll have to wait far back while someone is at the check out lane at Wal-mart. J/K I just don't understand why they can't tell you if someone has it. You don't need to know who, but you just want to know if someone else has been found with it. Every parent has a right to know that.

Jaxx
02-01-2005, 02:24 AM
we always get a note sent home with the kids if someone in their class
has it and to inform us that they will be checked.
I also check them out a home

justme23
02-01-2005, 04:32 AM
Last year when my dd was in kindergarden the school sent a note home saying someone in 2nd grade had head lice and they wanted all the parents of kids in K-4 to check there kids.

This privacy issue with everything has gone alittle to far. I understand like at the doctors office but I have notice it is almost everywhere. The next think you'll see is that you'll have to wait far back while someone is at the check out lane at Wal-mart. J/K I just don't understand why they can't tell you if someone has it. You don't need to know who, but you just want to know if someone else has been found with it. Every parent has a right to know that.

I know you meant that to be funny... but I really wish they'd make that a policy... I can't stand for ppl to stand right up at the counter w/ me while I am trying to contend w/ my debit card... Ok... if I was paying cash, I wouldn't care... but ppl really need to realize that punching in pin #s is a private matter.

Tasha405
02-01-2005, 06:11 AM
When I was in school the nurse would check every kid periodically. They didn't wait until they found out that someone had it. I think the checks were done a few times a year.
Thats how it was at my school too.

Angelseyes28
02-01-2005, 08:16 AM
At the school here they check heads twice a week. Yeah it's a pain in the butt but it's WELL worth it. Last year it was running so rampant that they send home 42 kids in one day.(grades K-4) Thankfully this year it seems to be under control.

starlynn
02-01-2005, 01:26 PM
I know you meant that to be funny... but I really wish they'd make that a policy... I can't stand for ppl to stand right up at the counter w/ me while I am trying to contend w/ my debit card... Ok... if I was paying cash, I wouldn't care... but ppl really need to realize that punching in pin #s is a private matter.

I can understand with a debit card but I meant it as a joke like know one has to see what you are buying. I quess that's what self check outs are for. :rolleyes:

mistressB
02-01-2005, 01:53 PM
man i'm sooooo glad i'm not going to have to deal with any of that stuff

CowNcalves
02-01-2005, 02:13 PM
That is just awful. When my son was in kindergarden, I found that he had lice and had contacted the school the next day when I called to tell them why my son wasn't there. They were really nice about and said that they would check the rest of the class. The next day a letter was sent out to ALL students that they were going to be checking for it. My son's class was checked every 2 weeks until there it was completely gone out of the school.
I was lucky and was able to shave his head to get rid of it :D Now if my DD gets it.. now thats going to be hours and hours of nit picking ;)

ladybugbhb
02-01-2005, 02:31 PM
well, becca got home and they did check, but she said mom, she didn't check like you. she means good i guess bc i asked her what the principal did and she jsut kinda moved the hair around. i am beginning to think this is why it is going around if the principal is not deligent in checking. anway, they did nto send anyone else homw, so who knows where becca got it. anyway, say a prayer fo rme it is gone out of my house never to come back, lol.

Azriel_LittleHawk
02-02-2005, 01:11 PM
ARGH!! hate to mention this but sometimes the "oh your kid has lice (unspoken) your a crappy parent" bit is used by school districts to harrass people, i have a freind and hello, she gets thisharrasment part all the time. it sucks. i have even gone over her childs hair, and nada!
my son has had lice twice i beleive, both times i completely lost it, wahsed everything i could get my hands on did the carpets, bedding, couches etc. and i don't use those damned chemical kits at school or the health dept. i use plain ole suave coconut shampoo, and a 50/50 vinegar water rinse, the shampoo kills the bugs, realy any shampoo will work, but theres sommthin bout the coconut shampoo that works better. got that from a doctor. anywho, the vinegar an water rinse, that loosens the glue that hold the eggs to the hair shaft, then all you've gotta do is comb through with those lice comnbs, and visualy inspect the hair . i do this bout every 2 days till i know the kids clean. works like a charm, and no harsh chemicals on your childs head, eyes, etc. i also read where back in the day, that parents used kerosene on kids hair to get rid of the lice. me? i much prefer tha shampoo/rinse method. and truthfully, the coconut shampoo works very well. you might even want to get the shampoo in the hair and leave in on for a few minutes, then rinse. so for future reference, this method has worked wonderfully for me. i mean realy, you don't need to be all spic an span anal about it, just a moderate level of "vaccume every where that the buggies might've gotten" and your good to go. oh an also, was watching opra an they had those 2 birttish cleaning ladies? they are such a hoot!! well, this one they did if your wanting to get rid of flee's. get a flea collar, pop it into your vaccuum bag or if bagless then where the crud goes for you to toss out. i mean, this should work for lice as well. in any even it can't hurt now can it?
:D
G'luck, and school districts, are often mental and no we do not want to get miss Azriel started on how crappy school districts can be !! *L*
CiaO!
Az
PS: i put all this here just in case, i mean if it helps one person, then it's a good thing right?