PDA

View Full Version : The day has finally arrived...SUPERNANNY!!!

Kelsey1224
01-31-2005, 08:12 AM
I should probably post this in the Reality forum...but I thought more people would see it here.

As some of you know...our next door neighbors did the Supernanny show and their episode is being aired TONIGHT.

So...you will all probably get a couple of glimpses of my house. As you are looking at their house from the street...we are their neighbors to the right. There is a long driveway between the two houses (there are two homes on flag-lots behind us)...and then there is my house. It is beige with white and brown trim.

You can actually see the house briefly in all the commercials. When they show the London cab driving up with the Supernanny license plate...it is my house that is in the background.

It will be interesting to see how this show is edited because these are not bad boys...they just look devilish. They are actually quite sweet...particularly the oldest Chandler. Shawn and Tammy (the parents) are the nicest people. I guess my only criticism and it is probably jealousy on my part is that Tammy dresses kind of slutty. However, if I had her figure and looked as good as she does...I would probably dress that way too...LOL!!!

I tried posting the link to the article in our local paper...but it didn't work. So...here is the article:

‘Supernanny’ to the Rescue

1/30/2005
By Michelle Sathe Signal Staff Writer

Picky eating. Talking back. Beating up siblings.
Like most parents of young children, Shawn and Tammy Orm have their hands full raising sons Chandler, 8, Caden, 6, and Declan, 3. ABC’s “Supernanny” (aka Britain’s Jo Frost) recently spent time with the Santa Clarita family, teaching them how to cope with frustrating yet familiar issues in her own indomitable way during an all-new episode to air Monday.
“At first, I thought, what could they fix in two weeks?” Tammy Orm said. “But we learned a lot. It was like having a live parenting magazine around, someone in your house giving you specific tips for your family.”
The Orms found themselves on “Supernanny” after a chance meeting with producers at a local mall late last year.
“We were looking for shoes and they just started chasing us down,” Orm said. “Then they came over and videotaped our daily activities. Before I knew it, we were signing contacts.”
Cameras then followed the family for 20 days at the couple’s home off Copper Hill Drive. While Shawn Orm, a video technician, was used to the presence of film crews from his occupation, Tammy Orm found it a little harder to take.
“You get used to it,” she said. “They eventually blend in, but you’re never completely yourself with the cameras on.”
With only 40 minutes of show time, Orm also suspected certain things might be exaggerated to give the show dramatic tension, which has led to some discomfort. One such episode involved little Declan.
“I was getting ready one day and I knew they were following him around, but they made it look like he was unattended and that was not the case,” she said. “As a parent, that’s very embarrassing.”
Frost spent 16-hour days with the family, espousing the finer points of schedules, warnings and the all-important time out, with a distinctive “Supernanny” twist.
“Before, if I got frustrated, I would count,” Orm said. “Now I say, here’s a warning and if it’s not heeded, they go straight to the naughty room.”
It’s a tool that works well for the stay-at-home mom, herself a former nanny and elementary school teacher.
“As long as I don’t yell or give in, I don’t have that guilt that I used to. I stick to it,” Orm said.
The Orms have also learned to work together as a team, instead of their former respective roles as disciplinarian and the soft touch.
“It helped us get closer together,” Shawn Orm said. “We would get into arguments about her jumping in front of my discipline, so that has definitely stopped somewhat. It’s a lot better than it was. Jo really helped us.”
Frost also taught the Orms vital tips for dealing with picky Caden, who used to disrupt family meals with his refusal to eat. Now, with the threat of the naughty room, things have quieted down considerably.
“I don’t make him eat the things he doesn’t like,” Tammy Orm said. “But he at least has to try something once. He’s not going to ruin dinner for everyone else.”
A recent trip to the dentist’s office provided Orm with a chance to put some of her new skills into action with eldest son Chandler, who, at 8, was getting mouthy. When the threat of the naughty room didn’t stop his back talk, Orm had to take it to the next level.
She removed a coveted privilege — a snow trip with the family.
“It was a big thing to take away,” Orm said. “But later on, he came to me and said he was sorry, that he shouldn’t have talked to me like that. He said, ‘I know I can’t go with you, but I’m still sorry.’”
Frost has certainly made a lasting impression with the Orm kids. Declan pointed to the TV during a “Supernanny” promo, saying, “I miss Jo.”
Chandler elaborated a bit more.
“She was very nice and pretty funny,” he said. “She taught us to be very good and Mom’s happy about that.”
While Orm hasn’t yet seen the finished episode, she feels her family fared pretty well in the end.
“With three little boys, there are bound to be moments in any family. They roughhouse, they cry,” she said. “I don’t think anyone’s 100 percent prepared to be a parent, but I got lucky. I got good kids.”

MamaFairal
01-31-2005, 08:22 AM
wow I'll be watching
Did she dress that way for the show or tone it down some..wait till she sees herself on TV it might hit her then huh?....lol

Kelsey1224
01-31-2005, 08:34 AM
wow I'll be watching
Did she dress that way for the show or tone it down some..wait till she sees herself on TV it might hit her then huh?....lol

She hasn't changed the way she dressed. I doubt she will when it is aired. And...maybe I'm just a prude and no one else will think that about her.

They did film Tammy cutting the grass and working on their car (don't know if it will be aired). While, I have never seen her work on the car...she does do all the yard work. AND...she usually does it in a short skirt and high, platform shoes...FOR REAL!!!

Judy
01-31-2005, 08:36 AM
I've never watched that show. But will try to catch it tonight if Hubby hasn't something else on. He's got control of the flipper :) We only have one tv. If not I will tape it. Don't usually watch reality tv. Although I have watched wife swap a couple times :)

Judy

bribella
01-31-2005, 08:39 AM
Cool! I love those shows and have actually learned some tips on dealing with my own children from them.

nanajoanie
01-31-2005, 09:48 AM
Very interesting. I've seen previews for the show but I've not seen it. The kids usually have other stuff on the big TV. I have a TV in my room but it's no fun going there alone away from the family.

Tadbit
01-31-2005, 11:02 AM
I had planned on watching the show tonight but now I will not miss it for sure. The commercials we are seeing, it shows one of the little boys with a bat in his hand saying "Get out of here!" and Super Nanny has a strange look on her face. :eek:

kelly12569
01-31-2005, 01:09 PM
Yea, I saw the commercial for tonight. They made it wound like it would be her worst task yet. I think they said she may have "met her match." I wonder why they make them sound so bad if theyre not really? For viewers Im sure but still sounds so bad... LOL

I bet she'd retire if she spent one day in my house with these five kids....LMAO :eek:

ocvachick
01-31-2005, 02:08 PM
I saw the previews for this today.. I was in shock. Thats a bad child haha

Anthill
01-31-2005, 04:46 PM
I saw the preveiws also and saw what she was wearing and thought Oh My Gosh what is she wearing??? IS she wearing that because she is on TV??? But I guess not!!!

janelle
01-31-2005, 11:58 PM
LOL, guess your neighbor must own the same style tops. Off the shoulders.

Pretty homes.

They didn't show the kid throw the tantrum about not obeying. Guess they thought it was too much but it was bait and switch. They advertised it that way. Wanted to see the Nanny meet her match. LOL :D

Faithfully
02-01-2005, 06:09 AM
I caught the last 45 minutes of the show. Love your neighborhood, and the show was quite interesting( I could of used Supernanny when my kids were little,lol). Kept hoping to catch a glimpse of the neighbors(like you),lol. Dh, and I couldn't believe she would go on national tv dressed the way she does,how embarrassing :eek: Thanks for letting us know it was on! :)

Kelsey1224
02-01-2005, 08:09 AM
Okay...I'm not exaggerating about how she dresses, am I? I thought maybe I was being overcritical.

In my earlier posts about this (when they were filming), my main criticism was that I didn't think they were bad kids..."just unsupervised". Nice to know that the nanny agreed with me. I can't tell you how many times I have seen Declan out on the sidewalk all by himself. I kept thinking...he is a year younger than T.J. and we would never let him be out by himself...even in our neighborhood.

I'm glad they did portray Tammy and Shawn as loving parents...because they are! Our street is more secluded than they showed. We are at the end of a very long cul-de-sac. They showed a busy street but it is two short blocks away. And it isn't even that busy most of the time. There is a school on that street and twice a day...there are obviously lots of cars. But the rest of the time...it isn't what I would call busy. It's just one of the main connecter streets into our development of homes.

Did anyone notice their gorgeous back yard?? We joke that they have a theme park in their yard.

They do quite well for a one-income family. Shawn obviously makes VERY good money. Our homes are valued at over $600,000 and they also own an R.V. AND a brand new boat. Tammy drives a Suburban.

YNKYH8R
02-01-2005, 08:58 AM
I didn't think she was dressed in a bad way. If she has the body to show it off then show it.

One thing I thought was amazing was how her oldest son still remembered how his father yelled at him in the 1st grade. It probably shocked him that he remembered. I thought it would have been nice to see if they actually had 'conversations' with their children to find out the source of all the anger or disobedience.

Nice show I'll probably never watch it again. I mean why get an 'English' woman? What are her credentials? I would be interested in knowing the motives for who they hire for these shows and why. Seems to me this show will not run for too much longer.

texasgander
02-01-2005, 09:53 AM
I thought she dressed kind of "slutty" myself....I mean, come on! She's at home with 3 little boys all day? In full makeup and high heels?? PUH-LESE! No wonder she can't keep up with where they are, she's too busy gettingher hair and make up done, and no way can she chase a 3 yr old in high heels....Her silicone boobs were practically hanging out in a couple of those shirts.....nice for her little boys to see..........and at the end did you notice they really didn't show her much in her VERY skimpy bikini? Maybe she has the body for it, but the show wasn't about her BOD, seems like she likes to show it of, which by the OP's words she seems to do frequently......(not saying she isn't a nice person so don't blast me).....

Kelsey1224
02-01-2005, 09:55 AM
Nice show I'll probably never watch it again. I mean why get an 'English' woman? What are her credentials? I would be interested in knowing the motives for who they hire for these shows and why. Seems to me this show will not run for too much longer.

Actually...the show is getting good ratings so it will be going for a while. It has the same producers as "Extreme Makeover - Home Edition"...so they look for "heartwarming" situations.

Jo Frost is supposedly one of the top nannies from England. What that means...I don't know? I guess people have a perception that English nannies epitomize perfect child rearing skills. Who knows?

As for the families on the show...Tammy and Shawn were approached at the local mall to be on the show. They did not submit a tape. The producers were looking for all-American families with typical problems that people could relate to. Tammy and Shawn didn't think the offer was serious and they were initially very reluctant to put their family "out there", but the producers kept calling them and persuing them.

When they signed the final contract, they found out that each adult received renumeration of $1,500 (total $3,000). They certainly didn't go into it for the money as they weren't even expecting to be paid. They also thought that any outside help with their child rearing skills couldn't hurt?

justme23
02-01-2005, 02:05 PM
I thought she dressed kind of "slutty" myself....I mean, come on! She's at home with 3 little boys all day? In full makeup and high heels?? PUH-LESE! No wonder she can't keep up with where they are, she's too busy gettingher hair and make up done, and no way can she chase a 3 yr old in high heels....Her silicone boobs were practically hanging out in a couple of those shirts.....nice for her little boys to see..........and at the end did you notice they really didn't show her much in her VERY skimpy bikini? Maybe she has the body for it, but the show wasn't about her BOD, seems like she likes to show it of, which by the OP's words she seems to do frequently......(not saying she isn't a nice person so don't blast me).....

Wow... how incredibly critical... how nice it must be to be so perfect that you have nothing better to do than to criticize this woman in such a way.

I am sure that a lot of the makeup and high heels were for tvs sake... would YOU want to go on tv in your pajamas and your hair everywhere? And ok... silicone breasts? Mine are bigger than hers and they're sure not silicone... you know, it IS still possible to have what god gave ya.

I watched the show... I must admit it was just to see Kelseys neighborhood cause I don't have kids so this kind of stuff really doesn't interest me... but I didn't see a thing wrong w/ what she was wearing... I was kind of expecting to see her in 4 inch skirts and a lot less shirt than she had on. I think it's great that w/ 3 kids she still finds time to make herself look pretty (by her standards) for her and her family (hubby) every day... that sounds like a great woman to me.

bonniejeanne
02-01-2005, 10:19 PM
We are at the end of a very long cul-de-sac. They showed a busy street but it is two short blocks away. And it isn't even that busy most of the time. There is a school on that street and twice a day...there are obviously lots of cars. But the rest of the time...it isn't what I would call busy. It's just one of the main connecter streets into our development of homes.

When I saw that episode, it reminded me of Valencia, where we lived for about six years. Just where in Santa Clarita do you live, and what school is it down the street from you? My boys went to Valencia Valley Elementary School.

Kelsey1224
02-02-2005, 08:09 AM
When I saw that episode, it reminded me of Valencia, where we lived for about six years. Just where in Santa Clarita do you live, and what school is it down the street from you? My boys went to Valencia Valley Elementary School.

We live in what used to be called Saugus...but was recently changed to Santa Clarita. We are up Seco as far as you can go above Copper Hill. We are above Grace Baptist Church...if that means anything to you.

Santa Clarita is diamond shaped and we are at the top of the diamond. Behind our housing development is National Forest (not that there are any trees...LOL).

The school is Mountain View Elementary School.

lizbet
02-03-2005, 10:03 AM
Beautful family, beautiful home, and neighborhood. I think with most shows like this SuperNanny, Nanny911, WifeSwap, TradingSpouses, and so on, they are edited a lot so we only see what they want us to see. What made this one more interesting was the fact that someone here on BBS knew of the family. That was neat. Thanks OP for sharing. On a decorating message board, some members were wondering about the colors used in the home.
http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/decor/msg0215333426527.html?5

Kelsey1224
02-03-2005, 11:17 AM
lizbet...I will try and find out for you what paint color she used and PM you the information so you can post it.

The house came with Corian countertops (which I loved and kept). Tammy and Shawn tore all the countertops in the house and redid them. I'm not a big fan of tile countertops anymore (they are a pain), but I think the backsplash in her kitchen is absolutely gorgeous!!!

Tammy truly has impeccable taste and her house reflects it. There is a lot of "Americana"/Country look going on there, but it isn't the typical red/white/blue.

I don't know if anyone noticed their backyard...but it is a "Tropical" paradise!!!

I feel that I was rather harsh is saying that she dressed kind of "slutty". Perhaps I should have said that she dresses provocatively! But I want to stress that she didn't change the way she dressed because she was on camera. She always dresses and looks this way. And Shawn is obviously very happy with her!!!

Willow
02-06-2005, 07:53 AM
It was definitely a nice neighborhood. They have a beautiful pool. The only thing I didn't like about her clothes were that her tops were a little too revealing. Her boobs were practically hanging out of a couple of them. I have a young son and personally I would never dress like that around him. I would be embarrassed. She dresses as if she's on a tropical island somewhere. lol As for the hair and make up comment, I do my hair and wear make up everyday and my kids aren't running around in the street. I think that was a little harsh. Just because someone fixes their hair nice and wears make up doesn't mean they are an unfit parent. They did seem like very loving parents so I guess what she wears really shouldn't be an issue.