PDA

View Full Version : Tax Questions..I hope someone can help!

suzziq03
01-11-2005, 03:28 PM
I have a few questions if anyone knows for certain the answers could you please let me know im so completely lost.

ok, heres the story,

I Divorced my husband January of last year ( 2004 ) I was already living with my Father and Mother, but allowed x to claim me and the kids on last years taxes and he split the $ with me. I had lived with my parents all last year up untill August then I moved here to Illinois and living with my sis and her family. Im looking for job but havent worked sense 1998. I have been getting Child Support for 2 of my children ( from x ) in divorce papers it says that he is to claim our oldest, and im to claim my youngest. now here is what I need to know.

1. Sense I didnt work and only recieved child support do I need to file anything?

2.X is trying to tell me that he can claim both children from marrige even if Divorce papers say different because of some new law...is this true?

3. Sense I didnt work, and I did go to a Job Training Program back home is that considered school? would I be considered a student?

4. Are my parents allowed to claim me and my 2 other children ( sense X is entitled to claim eldest daughter ) as dependents? or recieve earned income for us?

5. Sense im living in Illinois now with my children not in Arizona as I had been is there anything that I have to send to IRS?

Im sure im missing a question I had, I just cant find my paper I had written them all on...Please if someone can help me that would be great! and VERY appreciated...My X always took care of taxes all I did was sign the back of the check with him, please please please if anyone knows any answers please let me know.

MamaFairal
01-11-2005, 03:38 PM
1. Sense I didnt work and only recieved child support do I need to file anything?
*No you dont have to file as child support is not income(taxable)

2.X is trying to tell me that he can claim both children from marrige even if Divorce papers say different because of some new law...is this true?
~* NO he cant claim children if they lived with you. Children have to reside with you at least 6 mos out of 12 in order for you to claim them.School records should prove where they lived...he could get in trouble if he does claim them and they didnt reside with him.

3. Sense I didnt work, and I did go to a Job Training Program back home is that considered school? would I be considered a student?
~* not if the job training was thru a state program....like AFDC or TANF(i think)

4. Are my parents allowed to claim me and my 2 other children ( sense X is entitled to claim eldest daughter ) as dependents? or recieve earned income for us?
~* i thought in order for an adult to claim another adult they had to be disabled or a student? unsure here ok

5. Sense im living in Illinois now with my children not in Arizona as I had been is there anything that I have to send to IRS?
~*you can find tax return papers online at www.irs.gov for any state you may now live in.

HTH answers are with ~*'s

faygokraze
01-11-2005, 03:50 PM
Check this out

http://www.irs.gov/faqs/faq2-3.html

cinnamonch
01-11-2005, 03:50 PM
2) X can't claim any child outside of the divorce decree unless you allow him too.

4) Yes your parents can claim you and your children since if they supported you supported you for more than 6 months out of the year AND can prove the amount they supported you with was equal to or more than your child support. It does not matter if you are able bodied or not. The IRS only looks at the income you receive vs what they say they put out for you.
Earned Income credit is only received if they make under a certain amount.

faygokraze
01-11-2005, 03:53 PM
2) X can't claim any child outside of the divorce decree unless you allow him too.

4) Yes your parents can claim you and your children since if they supported you supported you for more than 6 months out of the year AND can prove the amount they supported you with was equal to or more than your child support. It does not matter if you are able bodied or not. The IRS only looks at the income you receive vs what they say they put out for you.
Earned Income credit is only received if they make under a certain amount.

Have your parents claim all of you!!!! I guess they can claim you as a dependant! End of story

sweetndesign
01-12-2005, 01:14 AM
your parents can claim you and kids especially since you were a student
and let hubby know right away not to claim all kids unless he wants to fight irs
and just in case tell your parents to file early, first form in claiming kids gets the money then you have to fight it out in court
pretty sure i am right about this but i am not a tax expert in any way even though i do about 30 returns ayear via software so you may want to call irs or an attorney and verify