PDA

View Full Version : AC Nielson/Scan the groceries that you bought program

Amy_March
01-11-2005, 02:26 PM
Today in the mail I received an invite to participate in the program where they send you a scanner and you scan all of your purchases and then transmit the info over the phone once a week.

I know there was discussion about this program some time back, but those of you who have done this, is it worth the effort? How many points do you routinely earn, and what kind of prizes are available? How hard is it to quit the program if you don't want to do it anymore?

ithastobe
01-11-2005, 08:49 PM
Hi Amy: You might want to check out this thread:

http://www.bigbigforums.com/showthread.php3?t=453020

Yes, I do it. To answer your questions:
1. IMHO - It takes a while to get points, but to me it is worth it as the prizes are good and there is a variety of products.
2. Prizes available - kids items, kitchen things, jewelry, men's outdoor items, camping items, knick-knacks, electronic equipment (tv's, radios etc).
2. I believe if you quit, you just send back their scanner. I've kept the original box, and I think they pay to ship the equipment back.

Good luck if you decide to do it......

PrincessArky
01-11-2005, 09:36 PM
I just got put on their waiting list.......if I ever get in it shouldn't take too long to get points seeing as we spend a min. of $600 on groceries with this HUGE family of ours lol

Rachwes
01-11-2005, 10:13 PM
After you get put on the list , it can take awhile before you get to participate and actually receive the scanner. It was almost a year for me.

You don't get points based on how much you spend each week , you get points each week that you send a transmission.

The longer you are a member the more points you get each week and you get extra points on your 3-month , 6-month and 1-year anniversary and on each anniversary after your 1-year anniversary.

You also get additional points for making a transmission every week in a month. They also send you surveys that offer points.

Also when you receive your scanner , it comes with a postage paid label for you to send the scanner back if you want to quit the program.

Amy_March
01-12-2005, 02:50 AM
Thanks!

jvbs
01-12-2005, 05:41 AM
I do Shopper's Hotline and had totally forgotten that I had been put on Neilsen's waiting list I don't know how long ago. I received Neilsen's scanner and documentation in the mail, and after reading sent it back and cancelled my membership. In comparing the two programs, I found that by adding up all the numbers, it would take me over a year to earn the lowest prize offered by Neilsen. On Shopper's Hotline, I was able to earn a $25 Walmart card in 4 months. The card was requested in Oct. and received in Nov. I'm already almost up to another $25 card, but I'm going to save for a bigger prize now that I know they pay quickly.

PrincessArky
01-12-2005, 07:49 AM
After you get put on the list , it can take awhile before you get to participate and actually receive the scanner. It was almost a year for me.

You don't get points based on how much you spend each week , you get points each week that you send a transmission.

The longer you are a member the more points you get each week and you get extra points on your 3-month , 6-month and 1-year anniversary and on each anniversary after your 1-year anniversary.

You also get additional points for making a transmission every week in a month. They also send you surveys that offer points.

Also when you receive your scanner , it comes with a postage paid label for you to send the scanner back if you want to quit the program.

so basically it doesn't matter if you spend $2 or $2,000 a month you get the same amount of points as everyone else?

vieprivee
01-12-2005, 09:24 AM
I became a member about 9 months ago but had immediate problems with the scanner they sent us. We called for help and the woman was REALLY nasty and not at all helpful, she had us take the whole thing apart and said they would send us replacement parts as soon as they got the defective parts back. The replacement parts came, we put them in, but it still did not work. We called and got someone else and this person was not as nasty but surely not nice. She said to pack the whole thing up and return it(at their expense again)and we would get a new one as soon as they got this one back. We got a 'new' scanner in about two weeks but this one was really beat up, NOT new, and of course did not work. After HOURS of trying to get the scanners to work, returning this part and that part, and lots of abuse from their phone staff, we packed the whole thing up and sent it back, telling them we had had it with them and their scanners. I think I was nicer than that in the enclosed note, but I am sure they knew our level of disgust!

Rachwes
01-12-2005, 10:45 AM
so basically it doesn't matter if you spend $2 or $2,000 a month you get the same amount of points as everyone else?

That's right , it isn't based on what amount you spend , just that you send a transmission every week. So it does take a long time to build up points.

PrincessArky
01-12-2005, 02:55 PM
Rachwes thanx for letting me know.........think I am gonna pass on this one

Amy_March
01-12-2005, 03:02 PM
Thanks everyone for your imput. After reading everything and discussing it with my husband, I am going to pass on this.

ithastobe
01-12-2005, 03:17 PM
For what ever it is worh - I had problem with my scanner too once, and it must have been a good day for me (LOL) cuz the person I spoke to was helpful and I didn't have to mess with it, just send it back (at their expense), and they sent me a new one.

It does take a while to get points, but their IS a variety of rewards, and the longer you do it, the easier it is to get points, cuz like Rachwes said, you get more points per transmission the longer you are with them - WHEW!. It only takes me about 1/2 hour every week to scan, and I've been member over 5 years - so to me worth it.

jvbs - can you do shoppers Hotline AND Nielson?? thanks

rykay
01-12-2005, 10:15 PM
I would like to learn more about the Shopper's Hotline. Can you give out a link
or sign page? My mom is with the Nielson program and she is forever scanning
purchases for what seems to me like nothing in return! I would love a better
reward program!

Tracey10
01-13-2005, 01:29 PM
www.shoppershotline.com

ithastobe
01-13-2005, 04:21 PM
Anyone know if you can do Shoppers Hotline AND Nielson?? thanks!

redrig
01-14-2005, 07:50 AM
I don't see why you wouldn't be able to do both programs...you may just have to scan at separate times, which might be a pain, because the Shoppers Hotline scanner transmits over your phone line (not sure how the Nielsen one transmits) and obviously you can't transmit both at the same time (unless you had 2 phone lines).

For what it's worth, I LOVE Shoppers Hotline...they have great rewards (movie or Blockbuster passes, gift cards) and all for doing next to nothing. Plus every once in a while they send me a survey in the mail that you use your scanner to answer the questions and you earn extra points.

rykay
01-16-2005, 09:09 PM
Thanks for the link, Tracey! :) I signed up, but they are not in my area yet.
We'll keep our fingers crossed.... :D

jvbs
01-17-2005, 06:26 AM
You have to agree in either Shopper's or Neilsen that you will not participate in any other scanning program. Personally, I have been doing Shopper's Hotline for a while now and I love it. I've never had a problem and I just received new batteries for the scanner in the mail, I don't even have to replace them on my own. They sent a little phillips head screwdriver with the batteries so I didn't have to search Hubby's tool bench for one, also.

Cali4niaGa
12-17-2006, 04:05 PM
Today in the mail I received an invite to participate in the program where they send you a scanner and you scan all of your purchases and then transmit the info over the phone once a week.

I know there was discussion about this program some time back, but those of you who have done this, is it worth the effort? How many points do you routinely earn, and what kind of prizes are available? How hard is it to quit the program if you don't want to do it anymore?

I joined the program about 2½ years ago. I scan everything. It can be time consuming but to me it's worth it. I got a nice Georg Foreman as my first gift. Now I'm going for the BBQ (I think) They also have cash drawing and vacations and what not. So it really depends on how devoted you want to be. If your into the survey stuff this is for you. I also am a member of the voice media (a branch off of homescan) which I earn like 35.00 per month w/3 active people. Give or take a buck or two. I'm a survey fanatic! The more the merrier and I also work a full-time job.

Tammy

melissa_2000
12-17-2006, 07:42 PM
I joined the program about 2½ years ago. I scan everything. It can be time consuming but to me it's worth it. I got a nice Georg Foreman as my first gift. Now I'm going for the BBQ (I think) They also have cash drawing and vacations and what not. So it really depends on how devoted you want to be. If your into the survey stuff this is for you. I also am a member of the voice media (a branch off of homescan) which I earn like 35.00 per month w/3 active people. Give or take a buck or two. I'm a survey fanatic! The more the merrier and I also work a full-time job.

Tammy

Do you have a link to voice media?
Thanks