PDA

View Full Version : To circumsize??? Or Not?

Urban Cowgirl
01-10-2005, 09:00 AM
I was interested in other peoples views on this. I have always said if I had a boy I would not do it...hubby says we will!!! I heard on the radio yesterday a doctor talking and saying how when they circumsize the penis it takes away thousands of nerve endings and also that the penis becomes less sensitive. also he was talking about how lots of men who are circumsized are opting for sugery and other means to get the foreskin back, even though you can never replace allthose nerve endings....this doctor was very much in favor of those proceedures. I don't know....I guess I just feel its kind of mean and I would want my child to be able to choose on their own. Any thoughts?

Willow
01-10-2005, 09:08 AM
I had my son circumsized. All of my brothers were circumsized too. I've always heard that it's cleaner. I'm not saying men who aren't circumsized are dirty but I've heard it's easy to get infections if you aren't. I guess it's just a personal choice. They say that should a man need to be circumsized at some point in his adult life that it's actually more painful then it would of been had he been circumsized as an infant.

Freebeemom
01-10-2005, 09:08 AM
We did, and I am sure glad we did. We had it done and the dr. did not take enough skin off at first. After several PAINFUL infections, We went to a uriologist and he said that the infections were because too much urine and dirt remained in the skin fold. My son, age 4, had to go in for surgury to have skin removed. He is fine now and does not remember a thing about the proceedure. Yes, I was on him about being clean regardless of the circumsision...but Unless your child is prepared to be very clean....and take special care of making sure that it will remain clean it can be very difficult and painful if you don't . There is that certain age where they don't want Mom or Dad in the bathroom with them at all times.

Sure, it is up to you, but I personally think that the earlier the better. If you choose to do it, you can have your dr. administer local or a topical anastesia (spelling?). There are ways to do it that it is not painful.

Tisky67
01-10-2005, 09:09 AM
I had all 3 of my boys circumsized, partly because I am 1/4 jewish but also because of the health issues. (please nobody jump on me).

I read alot of articles both for and against when I was pregnant. All in all if you have boy circumsized you are giving them a better chance of not ending up with UTI's & bladder infections.

Now also think of a child in the locker room at school taking a shower, the kid will be embarressed if he is different from others.

Its all a personal decision but , I am thankful that I did it for my boys. Just my 2cents

disneymom
01-10-2005, 09:09 AM
We got bruce done, my hubby didnt even know it was an option lol. when we found out he was a boy, I asked if he wanted him to have it done, and he was like, what is that? We had it done, wasnt to bad. it was a little red the first few days. The main reason I got it done, was becase of the cleaning issues, I didnt want him to get any kind of infection in there
Now my aunts exper. was totally differnt. Her sons was a bleeder (happens very rarely) they couldnt stop the bleeding. eventually they did, but it was very scray!
good luck on what ever you choose.

cleaningla
01-10-2005, 09:16 AM
I have two boys, niether one was circumsized. They were perfect to me just the way they were born, and I honestly haven't a clue as to why anyone would do something like that. Eeeeeeeeeeeeeew.

Trishntx
01-10-2005, 09:17 AM
plus.....IMO...it just looks better.

Willow
01-10-2005, 09:21 AM
plus.....IMO...it just looks better.

Well I was going to say the same thing but I didn't know how to word it without being too vulgar. :D

cleaningla
01-10-2005, 09:22 AM
Where do you live? I read statistics once and just in case you want your child to look like the other children in gym class here's what i remember.

In the:

East-62% of male children are circumsized

South-62%

Midwest-80%

West-34%

Luckily I am in the wast, we don't do that to much here.

Kelsey1224
01-10-2005, 09:31 AM
Where do you live? I read statistics once and just in case you want your child to look like the other children in gym class here's what i remember.

In the:

East-62% of male children are circumsized

South-62%

Midwest-80%

West-34%

Luckily I am in the wast, we don't do that to much here.

Wow...that's very interesting. I live in S. California and would have guessed the percentage to be MUCH higher.

I asked hubby and son what their experience was...(I haven't seen that many men naked...LOL.)

They both said that most men they know (or have seen) were circumcised.

My son even said that when he was in high school...it was rare to see an uncircumcised boy in the shower. (No one was made fun of because of it though. I guess the other boys didn't want anyone to know that they "looked"...LOL).

DBackFan
01-10-2005, 09:36 AM
I have 3 Sons and none are circumsized. They are all 3 adults now and are THANKING me.. ;)lol. You just have to teach good hygiene.

DreamWorld
01-10-2005, 09:36 AM
My husband and I decided to have our son circumsized. I've read reports that men who are not circumsized need to clean themselves often so they don't get infected. Anybody else read or heard the same?

renagade
01-10-2005, 09:46 AM
Yes definately do it. My hubby was not done and he hates it. We had our son as soon as he was born and they don't even remember a thing about it. I know he was glad about our decision because it came up one time talking to his dad. My hubby always says- I HATE MY TURTLENECK LOL

Donnagg123
01-10-2005, 09:47 AM
and I honestly haven't a clue as to why anyone would do something like that. Eeeeeeeeeeeeeew.

I think it is just a personal choice. I could see people saying the same about your choice as well ;)

SweetMomma
01-10-2005, 09:50 AM
We had our son circimsized. It wasn't something we talked about, when we found out we were having a boy we just said we're doing it. I've read things that favor both sides, so it's just a matter of what you believe and like. Personally, I'm glad we had it done, because I also believe it just looks better.

tracyb
01-10-2005, 10:03 AM
i do believe that it is your personal choice here they usually ask if there dad is or not and go from there.....hubby is not and none of his other 4 brothers are either and none of them have ever had any trouble at all.....just do what you feel is right for you and i dont have any boys just 2 girls so i cant give you my personal experience...GOOD LUCK WITH A CHOICE

Eyore
01-10-2005, 10:03 AM
My son was circumsized when he was born. I didn't know what it was at the time and my husband said yes we are having it done so we did.
My sister has 3 boys and she had all hers done.
My sister in law had 3 boys and none of hers was circumsized. I never heard of them having any kinds of problems because they weren't.
Like others have said it is a personal decision.

Tasha405
01-10-2005, 11:06 AM
I have two boys and both of mine were done. I've known grown men that had to go back and have it done later in life and it was horrible for them.

I done it because of the infections and so on too. Plus all of the other men in our families had been done too.

lassss
01-10-2005, 11:11 AM
I had my son circumsized.....for a few reasons....it's cleaner, I would never want him to feel like an outcast in the locker room.....everyone in my family has been circumsized....it goes with the norm..there are more males who are circumsized then not....and the last reason I can think of is that it's just plain ugly if ya don't get it circumsized....*cringes* :D

heymom
01-10-2005, 11:15 AM
Ok I feel that I need to add my experience here.
We had two sons , neither had it done at birth.
When my youngest was 1 1/2 I noticed a thick whitish line almost encircling his penis. I called a Pediatric Urologist. He had surgery 1 week later. By that time the "white line" had grown into a huge lump completely encircling his penis and he was peeing steadily 1 drop at a time. It turned out to be a tumor.
THIS WAS NOT CAUSED BY NOT BEING CIRCUMCISED
My other son was done at 8 yrs old because of recurring yeast infections. Yeast infections were the direct result of antibiotics for his numerous ear infections. Not being circumcised definitly contributed to his problem. The yeast infections left the foreskin raw and it had begun to grow together.(closing)

Would I have a son now circumcised ?? YES I WOULD.
I still believe it is barbaric but after the experiences with my sons I would do it.

catssass
01-10-2005, 11:55 AM
I had my son circumcised because thats the "norm" for my family, my FIL had his done in his late 40's because of recurrent infections from anibiotics use, also. He said it was the most painful experience he has ever had...I was with my son when he had his done, it was more of a shock to him than anything, kind of like getting his shots, after, I held him and he went to sleep. You do what you feel is best for your son and family...

usascs
01-10-2005, 12:22 PM
I say NOT!!!!!! My first son was clipped, swore I would never let that happen again they didnt even give pain killers to him he screamed so hard for so long his little voice was hoarse for at least a week. Not to mention they took to much and he had to have another Very Painful procedure a few years later to correct the problem. He says he remebers it. LOL My scond son is not clipped, I have never had any problems with it being dirty or getting infected. My scond husband isn't clipped and how do you say "ounce you've had a hoody you never go back". It's like having a built in french tickler. Sorry for being so truthful (vulgar) but it's the truth, at least in my book.

melissar
01-10-2005, 12:23 PM
Wow I guess we are lucky... I didn't have my son's done as It was a personal choice but would never chastise anyone for having it done.. However we have never ever had a problem with infection...Phew thank God.. ages are 15 and 9....

Wimzik
01-10-2005, 12:30 PM
I say NOT!!!!!! My first son was clipped, swore I would never let that happen again they didnt even give pain killers to him he screamed so hard for so long his little voice was hoarse for at least a week. Not to mention they took to much

Same thing happened with my son, he was born premature so they couldn't do it until he was 4 months old, no pain killer, and I've never heard a baby scream like that in my life. :( They also took too much, but he hasn't had any problems from that yet.

dv8grl
01-10-2005, 12:55 PM
Well I was going to say the same thing but I didn't know how to word it without being too vulgar. :D

TOTALLY! As a woman, I would run if I saw a "turtleneck" coming after me! YUCK! :eek:

janelle
01-10-2005, 01:03 PM
What happened to the studies that the wives of uncircumcised men have a higher rate of cervical cancer? I would do research on it before deciding. :confused:

usascs
01-10-2005, 01:08 PM
Talk to your pediatrician and your doctor (gynocologist) about there opinions.

Willow
01-10-2005, 01:39 PM
I say NOT!!!!!! My first son was clipped, swore I would never let that happen again they didnt even give pain killers to him he screamed so hard for so long his little voice was hoarse for at least a week. Not to mention they took to much and he had to have another Very Painful procedure a few years later to correct the problem. He says he remebers it. LOL My scond son is not clipped, I have never had any problems with it being dirty or getting infected. My scond husband isn't clipped and how do you say "ounce you've had a hoody you never go back". It's like having a built in french tickler. Sorry for being so truthful (vulgar) but it's the truth, at least in my book.

Without getting too graphic all I will say is, I disagree about the "once you have a hoody you never go back" part.

disneymom
01-10-2005, 01:41 PM
I had my son circumsized.....for a few reasons....it's cleaner, I would never want him to feel like an outcast in the locker room.....everyone in my family has been circumsized....it goes with the norm..there are more males who are circumsized then not....and the last reason I can think of is that it's just plain ugly if ya don't get it circumsized....*cringes* :D
bwahaaaa...it isnt the prettiest thing in the world...now is it lol

Willow
01-10-2005, 01:41 PM
TOTALLY! As a woman, I would run if I saw a "turtleneck" coming after me! YUCK! :eek:

:D :D :D

mistressB
01-10-2005, 02:37 PM
we didn't with our son. first off it's really expensive, about $500 and our insurance wouldn't cover it because it's cosmetic. second i've seen videos of them doing it and i couldn't go through with it even if i wanted to. no days about half of all parents arn't getting this done, i really don't worry about my son feeling weird in the locker room or anything.

***CUPID***
01-10-2005, 02:39 PM
well here is my opinion....LOL

I have 2 boys. My first son was done and no problems. 2 years later my 2nd son was done and there were a few problems. First they did it, then there was an extra piece of skin underneath the top layer, so they did it again...same day. I was a little scared when I saw it. Red, swollen, had lots of guaze (sp?) on it. They told me to keep him dry as much as possible and not let it get stuck to anything. Anyway, we noticed a difference in his from his brothers as it healed. At about 4 months old, there was still a problem. The opening was in the wrong place and too big. Our doctor referred us to a urologist. We took him and he said it was hypospadious (sp??), and it is more common than you think. At 6months old, he had surgery to repair. He was cathorized for 3 days and very sore...he never learned to crawl,....he scooted.
Now, he is 7 1/2 and you can't tell any difference. everything is where it belongs and works as it should. He had several checkup for a couple of years, but was realeased by the time he was 4.
If you do decide to have it done, ask the doc to please not do the circumsion if he sees anything wrong. My son could've done a lot better with ALL of the skin, instead of part. BTW, he was circumsized a 3rd time after the reconstruction surgery(same day).
after I got preg. a 3rd time, my doc asked me if I had a boy did I want him done and I said to let me know if there was a problem before the did it. My 3rd child was a girl.
Good luck on your choice. My mom said she wouldn't have had me or my sister done if we had been boys. My aunt had both of her boys done. Everyone is different.

cleaningla
01-10-2005, 03:45 PM
I don't know how people can it is ugly. I thought Adam was created in God's immage. Just seems that to say something about Adam is ugly is like saying something about God is ugly or at least it's like saying that God made a mistake.

As far as God telling Abraham that all male children should be circumcised, in a Jewish circumcicion they only snip off the tip, not the whole thing.

As far as my boys go, I just told them to keep it clean and take good care of it, someday they would be glad they did.

At 19 and 24 years old, they have had no problems that I'm aware of. :)

ocvachick
01-10-2005, 04:02 PM
If I was having a son I would have it done

JewRican
01-10-2005, 04:33 PM
A vagina is ugly too so should girls have that extra skin down there snipped?

Faithfully
01-10-2005, 04:57 PM
I believe it's a personal choice. I didn't want my son to have it done when he was born, I know they don't use any pain killers,(I cried more then my ds did,lol) but dh insisted, so we had it done, and I'm glad we did now. My opinion would be yes, have it done.

tarasdream
01-10-2005, 05:10 PM
i would have it done, not only does the bible say to do it but my friends son wasnt done and he had tons of problems and was in the hospital twice to have it corrected.

DivineMsDi
01-10-2005, 05:43 PM
My son is not, nor is my husband. It is not done in England, where my husband is from. I know most American men "are" including my 5 American nephews but we did not do this to my son. They DO FEEL the pain.

My husband's very clean and teaching our son to be...

His pov on this is why cut it off if you were born with it??

I think, like breast feeding, this is a personal choice. :)

irrelevant0
01-10-2005, 05:44 PM
i do not agree with circumcision, unless it is for a medical reason. you have to take the time to clean the foreskin to keep it clean and free of infection. if you are willing to do this, there will be no problems, unless it starts to close up. then there is a reason to take it off. to me, it is not worth it to put my child (when i have one) through the pain of a totally pointless and very painful procedure just so i have a little less work you do. it is very selfish to circimcise a child who doesn't need it. if you're too lazy to take an extra minute or two to clean around the foreskin, don't have kids naturally. adopt a girl so you won't have to worry about it. flame me if you want, but it is cruel and i don't agree with it, unless neccessary.

i am going to try and find the website that put me against it. i am not posting the contents on here, but i will post the link if i can find it.

Willow
01-10-2005, 05:50 PM
i do not agree with circumcision, unless it is for a medical reason. you have to take the time to clean the foreskin to keep it clean and free of infection. if you are willing to do this, there will be no problems, unless it starts to close up. then there is a reason to take it off. to me, it is not worth it to put my child (when i have one) through the pain of a totally pointless and very painful procedure just so i have a little less work you do. it is very selfish to circimcise a child who doesn't need it. if you're too lazy to take an extra minute or two to clean around the foreskin, don't have kids naturally. adopt a girl so you won't have to worry about it. flame me if you want, but it is cruel and i don't agree with it, unless neccessary.

i am going to try and find the website that put me against it. i am not posting the contents on here, but i will post the link if i can find it.

You are entitled to your opinion but I think it's rude to say that people that have their son's circumsized are lazy.

IselaRose
01-10-2005, 05:52 PM
My husband isn't and he HATES IT WITH A PASSION. He's looking to do it right now, he's planning on doing it when he gets vacation time. Which is sad because it disrupts our play time for at least a month and that's if everything is perfect, and they say the stiches removal and the first time they pee HURTS.
When I have my sons I plan on doing it. I don't want them to want it in their adult life and have to endure all that pain.

irrelevant0
01-10-2005, 05:57 PM
i also want to say that having it done to your CHILD because it "looks better" is pathetic. i find that statement very weird to put it lightly. if you prefer your partner to look a certain way, fine, but your son... as far as women who shy away from "hoodies" ... also pathetic. it shouldn't matter what it looks like. anyway, it is just skin, get over. when it gets "happy", it looks just like a normal penis. my ex-fiance was not circumcised - it didn't bother me at all. it's not all that different from an uncircumcised penis, aside from the foreskin. i actually prefer it, but i am not going into that.

and about cleanliness: a circumcised man who doesn't keep clean will get just as many infections. the skin has very little to do with that. if you're a slob, not having a foreskin won't save you. like i said before, a parent should take the time to teach their child to clean around it.

and after all this mouthing, i also want to say - i think the child should decide. if they get to be 16 or so and want it done, let them. at this age they can make a decision like this themselves. most guys i know with a foreskin like theirs, very few don't. and some guys i know who are circumcised don't want to be. like i said, they should decide.

queenangie
01-10-2005, 06:02 PM
The week that DH and I were married, his uncle (only 2 years older and married allready) had medical problems and had to be circumsized as an adult. He could not attend our wedding as it was very sore and became infected.

As DH-to-be and the groomsmen were ready to walk out for the beginning of our
wedding ceremony, the guys all asked where "uncle ****" was for this
family event.

DH-to-be explained how he was having a medical problem, got circumcized that
week, and it got infected. They all were busting a gut laughing.

Apparently everything healed up just fine.

queenangie
01-10-2005, 06:04 PM
Another family we are friends with gave birth within weeks as I did. Their son was a premie with health problems. He was not circumsized due to the health issues as an infant.

They worked hard to 'keep things clean.'

In 4th grade, he had to be put to sleep with anesthesia and circumsized as
he was having problems with urinating. Ouch!

queenangie
01-10-2005, 06:09 PM
http://my.webmd.com/content/article/25/1728_58353.htm

From WebMD

"The Foreskin: An Open Door for HIV

The foreskin of the uncircumcised penis is a welcome mat for HIV, according to a new study. The finding strengthens a growing consensus among public health experts that both infant and adolescent circumcision programs ought to be a major tool in the fight to stop AIDS, especially in countries where HIV is rampant.

The experts warn that circumcision alone does not protect a man from being infected with HIV. It does, however, greatly reduce his odds of being infected.

Szabo and Short found that a relatively hard layer of skin protects the shaft of the penis and the outside of the foreskin. However, the inner surface of the foreskin is not protected. During sex, the foreskin is pulled back down the shaft of the penis and provides a large area of exposure to HIV from an infected partner. "

http://my.webmd.com/hw/raising_a_family/hw142452.asp This has a photo

Willow
01-10-2005, 06:11 PM
The main reason I had my son circumsized is because it's cleaner and I didn't want to take the risk of him getting an infection when he got older and then have to do it then when it is so much more painful. It's not because I was being lazy. I also don't consider myself pathetic because I shy away from "hoodies". Everyone has their preferences and if someone prefers to be with someone who is circumsized I don't think that makes them pathetic.

Donnagg123
01-10-2005, 06:12 PM
http://my.webmd.com/content/article/25/1728_58353.htm

From WebMD

"The Foreskin: An Open Door for HIV

The foreskin of the uncircumcised penis is a welcome mat for HIV, according to a new study. The finding strengthens a growing consensus among public health experts that both infant and adolescent circumcision programs ought to be a major tool in the fight to stop AIDS, especially in countries where HIV is rampant.

The experts warn that circumcision alone does not protect a man from being infected with HIV. It does, however, greatly reduce his odds of being infected.

Szabo and Short found that a relatively hard layer of skin protects the shaft of the penis and the outside of the foreskin. However, the inner surface of the foreskin is not protected. During sex, the foreskin is pulled back down the shaft of the penis and provides a large area of exposure to HIV from an infected partner. "

Interesting.. I had never head that. Thanks for sharing :)

queenangie
01-10-2005, 06:15 PM
My 2 sons? You can bet they had the procedure as newborns and our insurance covered the cost. I'm a nurse and there was no question in our family how to handle this.

Maybe it's different for yours.

YankeeMary
01-10-2005, 06:27 PM

I find it pretty amusing that those with kids always make such better parents then the rest of us. For starters, I have tried hard all day not to post here, since this is a very sensitive subject and a very tough decision for each MOTHER to make whether to or not to. It is a decision that does not come by easily, whether to do or not to do. As parents we want whats best for our kids and we all are different on our decisions. Not that I feel I have to explain myself to you or anyone else, but I have 2 sons both of which "I" decided to have cirumsized (sp), between what I read up and my beliefs is how I came to the decision, not because I am lazy, and if YOU knew what you were talking about its alot of EXTRA work taking care of it afterwards. It could get infected and cause alot of problems if not taken care of properly. I not only gave birth twice NATURALLY and BREASTFED both of my sons, I also made my own baby food so it would be 100% natural and I used CLOTH diapers, not the path one would chose if they were LAZY. I tried to do everything in my power to give my boys the best life possible and still do as does every momma on here. I would never make the accusation that someone was lazy because of decision that they made that happens to be a very important either way they decide to go. It is a personal issue for everyone and no one is wrong and no one is right for having it done or not having it done.

janelle
01-10-2005, 06:29 PM
I guess I'm a little (probably a lot) naive to expect people not to have sex with someone who has HIV? Multiple partners and lots of sex before marriage? That would be the best way not to get any infections, not just HIV. Oh wait, that's not PC. Can't tell your kids the true consequences of having sex with strangers. :confused:

Willow
01-10-2005, 06:35 PM
I find it pretty amusing that those with kids always make such better parents then the rest of us. For starters, I have tried hard all day not to post here, since this is a very sensitive subject and a very tough decision for each MOTHER to make whether to or not to. It is a decision that does not come by easily, whether to do or not to do. As parents we want whats best for our kids and we all are different on our decisions. Not that I feel I have to explain myself to you or anyone else, but I have 2 sons both of which "I" decided to have cirumsized (sp), between what I read up and my beliefs is how I came to the decision, not because I am lazy, and if YOU knew what you were talking about its alot of EXTRA work taking care of it afterwards. It could get infected and cause alot of problems if not taken care of properly. I not only gave birth twice NATURALLY and BREASTFED both of my sons, I also made my own baby food so it would be 100% natural and I used CLOTH diapers, not the path one would chose if they were LAZY. I tried to do everything in my power to give my boys the best life possible and still do as does every momma on here. I would never make the accusation that someone was lazy because of decision that they made that happens to be a very important either way they decide to go. It is a personal issue for everyone and no one is wrong and no one is right for having it done or not having it done.

Very well said. I really took offense to the lazy mark. Especially coming from someone who doesn't even have children.

Crick
01-10-2005, 06:51 PM
I just read through this entire thread and since no males have responded, let me be the first male to offer my opinion.....

What an interesting array of ideas and opinions! :eek:

mistressB
01-10-2005, 06:52 PM
it's a personal choice and those who choose the oposite has no right to attack the other person's choice.

an interesting artical i've found

http://www.naturalfamilyonline.com/2-ch/412-circumcision.htm

mom2cvam
01-10-2005, 07:26 PM
We have 2 boys and both of them are done. I would never have it any other way either. There was never any question about it. As soon as they were born it was done and I didn't have it done because I was lazy or pathetic. I thought it was the best choice for MY boys. As their mother I do what I feel is the best for them. It is really sad when someone who doesn't have kids can tell us that our choice regarding our children means we are lazy! :( I have never been lazy when it comes to my children and the choices I make regarding my children have always been what I feel is in their best interest. I'm not going to tell someone that doesn't believe in getting it done that they are wrong. That is their choice and they are doing what they think is best for THEIR children. Its up to the parents to decide what is best for their children. JMO :o

barky586
01-10-2005, 07:36 PM
Un is just plain ugly gross in my opinion. I would definitely do it.

mistressB
01-10-2005, 07:52 PM
teen sues hospital

http://www.boystoo.com/press/stowellpress.htm

halvarado
01-10-2005, 07:54 PM
i don't have time to read all four pages,but it seems i am in the minority. we did not have my son done and before he was done i was as ignorant to the possibilities as some of you. my son, and my un-circed husband for that matter, are not dirty or ugly. neither one of them have ever had any kind of problem with infection or anything. i don't see what is ugly about what God gave you:rolleyes: if there are religious issues, that is one thing, but the cleanliness, appearance thing is just plain false. i have also been reading that lots and lots more boys are NOT being done. below are some links that i copied from another site. some of them are articles and some of them are videos of actual circs. DO NOT WATCH IF YOU DON'T WANT TO SEE A BABY BOY GETTING A CIRCUMSISION!!!! i have not watched these videos b/c i can't stomach it and i won't do that to my son. good luck with your choice! i know lots of moms who wish they hadn't so be sure to think it through and go with your heart.

http://www.mothering.com/
http://www.nocirc.org/
http://www.norm.org/wbwhvideo.html
http://www.shirleys-wellness-cafe.com/circumcision.htm
http://www.circumcisionquotes.com/video.html

JewRican
01-10-2005, 07:57 PM
Un is just plain ugly gross in my opinion. I would definitely do it.

Since your girl parts are ugly are you going to snip part of it off? Face it a penis is ugly cut or not and a vagina is ugly.

halvarado
01-10-2005, 07:57 PM
i just went and read some of these and i am not sure about the lazy thing, but it isn't (or wasn't for us) any extra work at all. and we had our son in a jewish hospital and they never said a negative thing about it, and our ped. is awesome and never ever tried to change our minds b/c it was our choice.
and you know, the more i think about it, the more i am offended by the ugly/gross comment. i met a man that i fell in love with and i love him no matter what his penis looks like. geesh, that is offensive.

ETA
there are many parts of the world that do female circs and we think it is barbaric, and not for our little boys? oh, and those numbers from page one or two (i went back and reread) are off. it is a growing trend to NOT circ, there are more than that that aren't ;)

queenangie
01-10-2005, 08:12 PM
Here is another interesting article about the elderly, uncircumsized males

Journal of the American Geriatric Society

"According to the author, Ruth Frank, the information provided to parents when making the decision about circumcision is inadequate "because it does not address the question of what happens if that person is unable to care for himself. The geriatrics community has had little say and no input into the information that is presented to parents at the time they are deciding whether to circumcise their infant sons, yet the result is of this decision is played out daily in nursing homes, long-term care facilities, and in the homes of caregivers."

Because the geriatrics community has to deal with caring for those who can no longer look after themselves, the issue to circumcise "is as much a geriatrics issue as a pediatric one". The author also points out the difficulties involved (both physical and emotional) in performing hygienic care in the case of uncircumcised older patient: "Frequently, the patient misinterprets the care and strikes out in terror, kicking and scratching caregivers, whether family of nursing staff". Family members also often complain that their efforts are interpreted as an invitation for sexual activity. As a result, they often don't even try to keep the patient clean.

The problem of caring for uncircumcised older patients is becoming worse due to the fact that the general population is aging, with a bigger portion of the population living longer and longer."

This isn't just about babies....it is also about the care given to our elderly, who are unable to care for themselves.

Willow
01-10-2005, 08:16 PM
Some countries do the female circumcision because it's part of their culture although I don't agree with it. Circumcision in males is done for health reasons. It's totally different.

okie
01-10-2005, 08:17 PM
We had our son circumsized. It was something my husband insisted on and i would have done it for health reasons anyway.

mistressB
01-10-2005, 08:20 PM

"According to the author, Ruth Frank, the information provided to parents when making the decision about circumcision is inadequate "because it does not address the question of what happens if that person is unable to care for himself. The geriatrics community has had little say and no input into the information that is presented to parents at the time they are deciding whether to circumcise their infant sons, yet the result is of this decision is played out daily in nursing homes, long-term care facilities, and in the homes of caregivers."

Because the geriatrics community has to deal with caring for those who can no longer look after themselves, the issue to circumcise "is as much a geriatrics issue as a pediatric one". The author also points out the difficulties involved (both physical and emotional) in performing hygienic care in the case of uncircumcised older patient: "Frequently, the patient misinterprets the care and strikes out in terror, kicking and scratching caregivers, whether family of nursing staff". Family members also often complain that their efforts are interpreted as an invitation for sexual activity. As a result, they often don't even try to keep the patient clean.

The problem of caring for uncircumcised older patients is becoming worse due to the fact that the general population is aging, with a bigger portion of the population living longer and longer."

This isn't just about babies....it is also about the care given to our elderly, who are unable to care for themselves.

as a caregiver to the elderly i never encountered a problem cleaning an elderly person who wasn't circumsided. i would say 7 out of 10 times they weren't.

YankeeMary
01-10-2005, 08:20 PM

I never even considered this when making my decision, but it does make since. Thanks for posting.

mistressB
01-10-2005, 08:23 PM
woops, double post

mistressB
01-10-2005, 08:25 PM
Some countries do the female circumcision because it's part of their culture although I don't agree with it. Circumcision in males is done for health reasons. It's totally different.

that may have been thought to be the case but isn't so anymore. sure there are those rare occasion where it's needed, but for the most part it's for cosmetic or spiritual reasons. female circumsision is cruel and thought to keep a woman from straying from her husband.

most insurance companies will not cover this. unless there is a medical need they consider it to be cosmetic. i think it really should be up to the child, i think for us to decide for them is taking away their rites. that's one of the reasons why we chose not to have this done.

YankeeMary
that may have been thought to be the case but isn't so anymore. sure there are those rare occasion where it's needed, but for the most part it's for cosmetic or spiritual reasons. female circumsision is cruel and thought to keep a woman from straying from her husband.
I thought they did it to the girls because it is a "sin" for them to feel sexual arrousement (SP)?
P.S. Insurance paid for both of my sons.

halvarado
my point is that male circ is cruel too. UNLESS there is a specific health or religious issue, mutilating a perfectly good baby boy is cruel, too.

mistressB
01-10-2005, 08:32 PM
I thought they did it to the girls because it is a "sin" for them to feel sexual arrousement (SP)?

no sexual arrousement = no cheating right? or at least in their minds. i watched a documentary on the subject. how many years ago were your boys born?

bethsheree
01-10-2005, 08:43 PM
I had my son done when he was born and do NOT regret my decision.I did a lot of research and thinking about this before I decided that it was something I wanted to have done to my son.
Having said that I don't think it is "gross" or whatever for a man to not have it done.

most insurance companies will not cover this. unless there is a medical need they consider it to be cosmetic. i think it really should be up to the child, i think for us to decide for them is taking away their rites. that's one of the reasons why we chose not to have this done.

I really have never heard of an insurance company not covering this procedure.At the time of my son's birth I had free medical insurance from the state and even they paid for it.

YankeeMary
01-10-2005, 08:43 PM
no sexual arrousement = no cheating right? or at least in their minds.
Good Point. My youngest is 12. My neice has a little one (my great nephew) He isn't quite 2 yet and thier insurance covered his circum. Possibly has to dowith the state you live in or something?

I think its great if you (in general) if parents decide not circum., but because those of us who do decide to circum. doesn't mean we are cruel any more then we are lazy. We are all different, thank God, imagine how boring the world would be if we were all alike. I can't imagine saying anything against anyone that didn't circum. their son, can't imagine why anyone would say to me because I did. I have talked to both of my sons and my DH none of the 3 remember it and are all glad that it was done. I am sure the uncircum. moms/wives could ask theirs the same and get the same reply.

mistressB
01-10-2005, 08:57 PM
i don't think they are cruel or lazy, but there is a common misconception that it has to be done for a number of reasons. thoughts on the subject are changing of course, the stats speak for themselves. well my son was born in oregon and we were told our insurance didn't cover it there. now we live in a different state and we are told that it's considered an elective surgery and that our insurance won't cover it, probably has to do with insurance providers.

bethsheree
01-10-2005, 08:57 PM
I think its great if you (in general) if parents decide not circum., but because those of us who do decide to circum. doesn't mean we are cruel any more then we are lazy. We are all different, thank God, imagine how boring the world would be if we were all alike. I can't imagine saying anything against anyone that didn't circum. their son, can't imagine why anyone would say to me because I did.

ITA.

missymommy
01-10-2005, 09:06 PM
It doesn't have to be painful for them. If you decide to have it done ask your doctor about anesthetic. I am not sure if it is always done now or not, but when my last child was born I asked and was told it would be used.

nanajoanie
01-10-2005, 09:27 PM
I had my son circumsized. All of my brothers were circumsized too. I've always heard that it's cleaner. I'm not saying men who aren't circumsized are dirty but I've heard it's easy to get infections if you aren't. I guess it's just a personal choice. They say that should a man need to be circumsized at some point in his adult life that it's actually more painful then it would of been had he been circumsized as an infant.

ITA!! We had both our boys done and never had a problem. Other relatives that didn't have it done some of them have had infections through the years.

stresseater
01-10-2005, 09:41 PM
Thank you for the article on the elderly. That is part of what I was going to address and it gives me a jumping off point. My FIL had to have thiis proceedure done later in life because of...(drumroll please)...Yep infection.
As he got older he was NOT cleaning himself as well for many reasons(lack of visual ability, lack of dexterity ect...) This was THE worse experience in his life and he took a bullet to the head in Korea (his words). First they had to do a dorsil split( I won't explain it because it's graphic) then he had 2 seperate surgeries to correct the problem. So he had to endure anasthesia 3 times for something his mother could have prevented. As for the pain involved when they are babies...I watched my son get done and he never made a sound until the doc was done and she put a cold wetwipe on it to clean up the trickle of blood. Apparently he thought that was the most barbaric part of the whole proceedure. As for the lazy comment from the childless.... when you have kids and the point in their life comes that they don't want mommy to clean them anymore, may you be so lucky as to have a child diligent enough to take over for you. :D :D

irrelevant0
01-10-2005, 11:13 PM
Since your girl parts are ugly are you going to snip part of it off? Face it a penis is ugly cut or not and a vagina is ugly.

exactly what i was thinking, but wasn't sure how to word the girl parts

irrelevant0
01-10-2005, 11:20 PM
i also want to say, no i don't have kids, but i have taken care of lots of them. i have seen both sides or circumcision, and it isn't that much harder to care for a baby who isn't circumcised.

and thanks to halvarado and mistressb and any others i might have missed (sorry) for posting the links and articles.

NiteQueen
01-11-2005, 01:46 AM
Well when i had my first son i was goin to be a single mother an i still lived at home with my parents and everyone in my family has been cut but it was very hard for me to have to make that decision on my own.........cuz i thought it should be left alone as that is how he was born........

but on the other hand i had a friend that had a lil boy and didnt have him cut an this lil boy went thru so much pain becuz of it he always had infection after infection and that is the only reason i had it done cuz i didnt want to have to see my son go thru that ..........

then when i had my 2nd son i didnt want to have it done but at this time i was married and my dh at the time thought it would be best for him cuz he was done as well....
and i called him and he said that they used a topical to numb it an he didnt scream at all.........

It is really all up to the parents....but imo i wouldnt have it done cuz that is the way god made it. maybe it would look better or maybe it would be easier to clean if u did have it done and u wouldnt have to worry about infections like if it werent done. i think u really need to think about what would be best for u and ur child.......

Also i have to agree with the other ladies you shouldnt have it done cuz it looks better or whatever that is not the question here i think the point to the question is really does it hurt or not? My dh is standing here now telling me that he dont remember when he had his done and he watched both of his boys being done an they never let out a peep.

mistressB
01-11-2005, 01:49 AM
i just don't understand how all these kids keep getting infections. i know so many guys who arn't and had no problems including my son. are they not being cleaned properly or something?

NiteQueen
01-11-2005, 01:54 AM
I think that is where most of the infections must be coming from cuz my friend that didnt have her son done when he was about 2 he wouldnt let her clean it after he went pee so then thats when it all started so i think some mothers that go thru that dont realize u have to pull the skin back and make sure that it is clean.

DivineMsDi
01-11-2005, 05:27 AM
I still say no way is "better." This is a personal choice. To attack others because they did or didn't is intolerant. My son is not a freak because he is uncut. If he wants to get it done later, good for him. I really have no "say" in this matter. I spoke with various pedatriations and they never advised for it.

I would like to see stats from other countries where it is not the norm...

Anyhow, some people do it for religious reasons, and you have to respect that. Also, they do it because dad or the brothers or cousins are.

To each his own. More MEN need to reply here!!!

DreamWarrior
01-11-2005, 05:36 AM
I had my son circumsized. It was a personal choice for me. I have seen both sides of it as well and well most of the guys I know who arent cut have MAJOR problems with cleanliness and infections, so I decided that MY boy was NOT gonna have that problem.

YankeeMary
01-11-2005, 05:42 AM
i just don't understand how all these kids keep getting infections. i know so many guys who arn't and had no problems including my son. are they not being cleaned properly or something?
Could be the same reason some get cancer or staff infections or heart attacks and others do not?! I know that at the age of 2 its hard enough to clean "down there" so I imagine its hard for a momma to hold down a struggling child to clean it as well as I am sure its hard on mommas to clean little girls, no kids really like to lay still? I am just guessing here. Then once boys get to be a certain age its like pulling teeth to get them to shower, let alone clean it properly? Also possibly boys don't wash their hands and by touching it to go to the restroom they spread germs. Then when they become men and don't wash their hands and are on the job site and hands are dirty, once again they hold it with dirty hands, thats spreading germs again. Then when they are old men, as a previous poster posted, its harder fr them to see, and dexterity becomes an issue. Like I stated this is only a guess.

YankeeMary
01-11-2005, 05:44 AM
I still say no way is "better." This is a personal choice. To attack others because they did or didn't is intolerant. My son is not a freak because he is uncut. If he wants to get it done later, good for him. I really have no "say" in this matter. I spoke with various pedatriations and they never advised for it.

Anyhow, some people do it for religious reasons, and you have to respect that. Also, they do it because dad or the brothers or cousins are.

To each his own. More MEN need to reply here!!!
ITA, nicely put.

Willow
01-11-2005, 06:11 AM

I also heard that too. They don't think the girls should have pleasure when having sex. Medicaid paid for it when Brian was born. Medicaid doesn't pay for anything that they don't feel is necessary so that surprises me that other insurance companies wouldn't pay for it. I have never heard of that.

cleaningla
01-11-2005, 09:58 AM
I also heard that too. They don't think the girls should have pleasure when having sex. Medicaid paid for it when Brian was born. Medicaid doesn't pay for anything that they don't feel is necessary so that surprises me that other insurance companies wouldn't pay for it. I have never heard of that.

I did a search to see if medicaid is still paying for it. Reminds me of how they used to take a kids tonsils out just 'cause they got a sore throat.

A growing number of states are no longer supporting it.

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2002/6/prweb40166.htm

Arizona Joins Growing Movement Against Medicaid Circumcisions

PHOENIX – Arizona became the seventh state to eliminate Medicaid funding for infant circumcision this week, as Governor Jane Hull allowed the state’s budget to become law without her signature. Currently, Medicaid programs in California, Oregon, Washington, Nevada, North Dakota, Mississippi, and many private HMOs serving Medicaid recipients, as well as some private insurance companies do not cover circumcision. In the past year, Arizona Medicaid paid for 12,600 boys to be circumcised at an average cost of $132 per boy and a total cost of $1.66 million.

Circumcision has grown increasingly controversial in recent years as mounting evidence indicates that any potential or slight benefits are outweighed by the surgical risks, pain, complications, and lifetime consequences of circumcision. Despite the fact that circumcision is not recommended by any national or international medical organization in the world, Medicaid pays for 25% of all US newborn circumcisions.

A 2001 report issued by the International Coalition for Genital Integrity (ICGI) documents Medicaid wastes tens of millions of dollars per year on circumcision (www.icgi.org). ICGI Co-Director Dr. Rio Cruz states, “It is simply deplorable that our government uses healthcare tax dollars to subsidize a cultural procedure that causes pain, long-term harm, and violates a child’s right to bodily integrity.”

Lawn Griffiths of Tempe praised the Arizona decision, saying, “I’m relieved my state no longer pays for such intrusive, maiming surgery. I left my son intact 27 years ago, and I shouldn’t have to pay to harm other little boys.”
Taxpayer complaints about government funding of infant circumcisions have stimulated legislative activity nationwide. Bills have recently been introduced in Missouri, Michigan, and New Mexico to cease Medicaid funding of these procedures.

North Carolina also has infant circumcision on its list of potential budget cuts. Keith Webb and his wife, Alice, were receiving Medicaid six years ago when their first son was born. “We weren’t provided any information, we were just asked to sign a form, and he was circumcised. We were appalled to later learn no anesthesia had been used. Our son had numerous complications that we had to deal with for two years. We had been grossly misled. If Medicaid hadn’t covered circumcision, we would never have done this to our son.” Taxpayers and those morally opposed to circumcision have joined together in North Carolina to protest this budget expense. A full-page open letter to the Governor and state legislature, published in the May 8th issue of widely distributed Raleigh news magazine and signed by 112 NC citizens, urged that public funds not be used for non-therapeutic circumcisions (www.cirp.org/news/ncopenletter05-08-02/).

Most states are experiencing budget deficits and increasing Medicaid costs. Grassroots efforts are escalating to eliminate tax-dollar funding of circumcision.

END

Jaxx
01-11-2005, 09:59 AM
My son is circumsized and i'm glad that we had it done

kidzpca
01-11-2005, 10:52 AM
It truely is of personal choice. I was done when I was an infant, and both my sons now 18 and 10 have been done.

Mostly in my family through at least 4 generations the boys were done early in life. No-one I know in the family regrets it.

Yet those that haven't had the procedure done (in-laws and such). Don't complain either. And truthfully none has caused such an issue over personal choice for there boys.

Urban Cowgirl
01-11-2005, 12:21 PM
I wanted to pop in and thank you all for your input here. i am not pregnant or anything, if I ever get my back problems resolved I do plan on having another baby. I was just really curious after hearing about it on the radio, and was interested in other view points. I know if I have a boy this will be barrier my DH and i will have to cross, as we do disagree. I guess if whatever insurance we have at the time won't pay, it won't be as much of an issue, if we can't afford it. I took care of lots of elderly men as a CNA and never really had issues with that...I just always made sure they knew exactly what was going on. How "it" looks really isn't my concern......I am not sure what m hang ups are with having it done. :confused: I guess since I heard that there are many nerves that are removed I am afraid that could cause problems down the road. Even though I know there are tons of men that are circumsized and don't have problems. Thanks again!

june72
01-11-2005, 01:48 PM
I have 3 sons and NO none of them are circumsized. Neither is there dad. I had a older dr. when our first son was born and he said he really didn't recomned it especially since hubby wasn't. (hubby has four other brothers that have not been cirumized either).
My boys have never had any trouble or infections because of it and neither has there dad or uncles. It is like someone else said you have to teach them cleanliness.
Make whatever choice you and your hubby come to together and you will do fine and so will you boy.

OMG as far as PE or Gym our kids should not have to undress or shower in front of each other. :eek:

YankeeMary
01-11-2005, 02:09 PM
OMG as far as PE or Gym our kids should not have to undress or shower in front of each other. :eek:

I agree but it isn't an option, My oldest is in highschool and they all have to shower.

mistressB
01-11-2005, 02:20 PM
we never had to shower in school. no one ever did

YankeeMary
01-11-2005, 02:23 PM
we never had to shower in school. no one ever did
We had to from 6th grade through to highschool. Also if you played extra sports you had to after that.
If my son doesn't dress out in weight lifting he gets a zero for the day.

Willow
01-11-2005, 02:23 PM
When I was in school we had to shower right after gym. That started in middle school and went through high school.

halvarado
01-11-2005, 02:29 PM
what cracks me up about the "i want him to look like others" issue is that if you asked 100 men, at least 99 of them would deny even knowing their male friends have a penis. let alone what it looks like LOL so, if no one ever looks, that shouldn't be an excuse, right? i don't mind if my kids have to take a shower or change in gym, but i don't think they are all comparing bodies during that time;)

wndysfrnd
01-11-2005, 02:42 PM
what cracks me up about the "i want him to look like others"

Just curious, as long as it "does the job", what should it matter how it looks?

mistressB
01-11-2005, 02:45 PM
when we were in school we had to dress down for gym but i never saw anyones crotch

CHERNL
01-11-2005, 02:45 PM
Well, I had a girl, and her ears aren't pierced yet at 8. If my dot had been a boy, he would have been circumsized BECAUSE MY HUSBAND IS. Little boys want to look like their daddies, and a friend of mines son practically pulled his foreskin OFF in an attempt to make his dingle look like his fathers. I will admit a personal preference to the appearance of a circumsized johnson, but had my husband not been cut then neither would my son.

halvarado
01-11-2005, 02:58 PM
Just curious, as long as it "does the job", what should it matter how it looks?

that is my point. lots of time that is the answer about why ppl chose to circ. believe me, they can do the job either way ;)

mistressB
01-11-2005, 03:17 PM
after the foreskin is pulled back it looks the same to me. i've been with a couple guys who weren't. i'm not sure if there was much of a difference, they both could have happened to have been good lovers.

***CUPID***
01-11-2005, 03:18 PM
ok. as for the male getting it done when he is older, I heard it is very embarrassing and painful. Im not saying that babies don't have pain when it is done. I have a 2nd cousin that had to be circ. around 28 or so. He was soooooooo embarrassed, because the nurses were female, LOL and they kept picking it up and looking at it and pulling the skin and he said it embarrassed him so bad. He pulled the sheet over his head. "IT" got excited when they touched it.
I have to say, that would be a problem. I don't know about other people, but my husband doesn't like to even think about stuff like that. he had a vasectomy and was a little embarrased and nervous to have someone cutting on him.
Everyone is right, your opinion is your own business.
I have an uncle that wasn't circ. because they didn't expect him to live. as he grew, my grandmother decided not to put him through the pain. He has problems with infections from time to time.
As i said in an earlier post, both of my sons are, and even after the fact of reconstructive surgery on my 2nd, I would still have any other boy done if I had one. Hopefully that will not happen, cause my DH has been fixed. Hasn't failed in 5 years, and hope it doesn't. LOL

freebielover
01-11-2005, 04:27 PM
If I ever have a little boy I would get it done in a second. To me the other way just grosses me out totally. Everyone definitely has their own opinion, I was kind of surprised how split everyone is. Most people in this area get it done, I don't know many who choose to wait on their sons. Its very interesting!

queenangie
01-11-2005, 06:02 PM
As for as 'how God made me'.....Jesus was born into a Jewish society.
It is a Jewish custom to circumsize on baby boys.

queenangie
01-12-2005, 06:14 PM
This is similar to circumsized infant boys.

I have to share....
The tongue tied thread got me thinking that
when I was 4 years old,
I had my tongue clipped, a definite surgical procedure.

Now, I can recall many things at age 4,
but not the tongue clipping,
so it must not have been traumatic.

Sha
01-12-2005, 08:25 PM
I have tried to keep out of this thread but here I am...My Hubby is not circumsized and most of the males in his family(extended and close) are not from what he told me. I have to say it kind of bothers me that some think that just because they are not that it is "gross". Now I have to agree if that man or boy does not keep themselves clean then yeah it would be gross...just as if the ones that are clipped are gross if they don't keep it clean either. My hubby has never had any infections and is not dirty. He wanted me to add that his father and mother always promoted cleanliness and responsibility. He also wanted me to add, there are benefits too...one word...sensitivity :D Please don't keep that "dirty" reference in your head when it comes to uncircumcised men. It could not be further from the truth...but yet your entitled to your opinion to. Just wanted to add my input and plead hubbys case for him! LOL! ;)

Crick
01-13-2005, 09:57 AM
Thank all of you for answering that age old question written by William Shakespeare..."To be or not to be that is the question!" I never knew he was speaking about being circumcised! I'll certainly sleep better knowing. It has bugged me for years wondering what he was writing about. :D

Willow
01-13-2005, 11:38 AM
Thank all of you for answering that age old question written by William Shakespeare..."To be or not to be that is the question!" I never knew he was speaking about being circumcised! I'll certainly sleep better knowing. It has bugged me for years wondering what he was writing about. :D

Good one Crick! :D Now I have a question I was wondering about, um no nevermind. :o

Crick
01-13-2005, 12:09 PM
Good one Crick! :D Now I have a question I was wondering about, um no nevermind. :o

I'm not saying one way or the other! At my age it's difficult to tell and I can't remember. :p

Willow
01-13-2005, 12:27 PM
I'm not saying one way or the other! At my age it's difficult to tell and I can't remember. :p

What a dirty mind you have. :eek: That's not what I was wondering about. ;)