PDA

View Full Version : How Can I Motivate My 9yr Ds????

gwens29
01-04-2005, 12:08 PM
He Has Adhd And Sits At School And From What The Teachers And Principal Teall Just Doesnt Do His Work... And He Doesnt Care If Its Done Or Not...he Came Home Yesterday And We Worked For Hrs And He Didnt Want To I Had To Force Him To Write Every Letter And Do Everyting..and We Still Didnt Get Done I Got Agry At 10pm And Was So Tired I Made Him Out His Things Away And Go To Bed...he Didnt Play Yesterday Or Watch Tv Or Do Anyhitng But Eat And Do His Homework Which I Had To Sit Beside Him To Get Him To Do Anyhting And Spell Out Letters So He Could Do His 25 Spelling Words And Definitions :( He Is Highly Inteligent And Letting His Brain Turn To Mush And Its Killing And I Have Cried And Cried Fearing I Am Failing Him And Its My Fault He Isnt Motivated :( My Dh Just Says We Should Discontinue All Meds And Is No Support At All In Changing His Meds...he Isnt Acting Out Just Not Doing Anyhitng At All As Far As School Work And Home Work Are Concerned Any Advice Tips Etc Are Appreciated

Lora_1994
01-04-2005, 01:23 PM
that is how my son was at the beginning of this school year. He too is 9 y/o and has ADHD. They put him on Strattera and Risperdal(for mood disorder) and what he is on has helped 98%. He now does his homework without being told to, is getting As and Bs from failing grades.

If you ever need to talk, you are more than welcome to pm me.

Best of luck to you!

SmucknFart
01-04-2005, 01:47 PM
My 9 yr old DD is the same! Homework is a constant battle. As for school; check into getting an IEP, they would then offer special help to your son for schoolwork, tests, and the like. DD's school just implemented an IEP for her; and she gets to take her tests in another room, away from the distractions of the other kids. The special ed teacher sits with her, and explains instructions again if need be.
Every child is different, and what medication may work for one, won't work for the other. Straterra didn't help my daughter at all!

Blondiex46
01-04-2005, 01:51 PM
yep what she said. I really would strongly recommend writing a letter and getting an evaluation done. This eval. will find out what the levels are (reading and math) if he isn't on grade level for these subjects it will just get worse as the time goes on.

LuvBigRip
01-04-2005, 01:55 PM
I agree, an IEP is your best bet (Individual Educational Placement for those who don't know) they will test him on many different things, and will tailor a class for his needs. Speak to the school counsellor and they can help to direct you. If he has been diagnosed with ADHD I am supprised that he has not had an IEP done already. In most schools, they do one at the beginning of each year, and then do a semester follow-up to ensure that all the goals are being met. People with ADHD need to learn early on how to deal with their disability and an IEP can help. Also, any medications that he is on need to be reviewed and regulated on a regular basis. Medications may work for a while, then taper off on effectiveness. I know in the years since my DS was diagnosed, we have changed medications a few times. He is currently on AdderralXP

mistressB
01-04-2005, 02:44 PM
how old is this son? i know when i went to school, once i got to middle school i basically started goofing off and getting straight F's. after 8th grade i never went back to school. i did go and get my GED when i turned 16 though. it's not that i couldn't do the work, half the time i did and never turned in the assignments. i just wasn't interested.

YankeeMary
01-04-2005, 05:52 PM
Been there..hehe... nami.org is a great place to find support and help. Good luck to you. You are not on a very easy road to travel. Hug and God Bless.

queenangie
01-04-2005, 06:12 PM
I agree with the IEP, maybe needs to be tested again.

Set an egg timer for 10 minutes or 5 minutes and
have him race against the timer to get a specific part of an assignment down.
Breaks things into little pieces of work, which is more managable.

Willow
01-04-2005, 06:20 PM
My son will be 11 in February and he also has ADHD. He takes Adderall XR and it's helped a lot. He's doing really well in school now but at one point he was having a hard time. He didn't like doing homework either. I would have to fight with him to do it but his teacher told me not to argue with him about it. If he didn't do his homework at home he would have to do it at school during his recess time. After a few times of missing recess he decided he would do his homework at home. He also knows that if he doesn't do his homework he can't use the computer. That's his favorite thing to do so he does his homework right away as soon as he comes home from school. What kind of meds is your son on? Maybe they just aren't working and he needs something else.

Blondiex46
01-04-2005, 06:59 PM
What has to be determined is whether your son's ADHD is interfering with his learning. The only way to find that out is to get an eval. done. IF it says that it is then you decide whether or not with the schools' help try to determine the best way for him to learn and the school to teach him. It does not make him stupid or anything else it is just to help him be successful how that is done. Motivating him will be done in various ways but you have to find out what you are working with to figure out how to help him and if he has any difficulties. I know you are doing this alone but I am sure you husband wants what is best for your son. Good luck

gwens29
01-04-2005, 08:06 PM
my ds has an iep and aiq of 117 134 verbal and can do the work he just wont do it he takes no pride or joy in it at all today was better i guess i will have to work on short term daily goal with rewards etc its just so hard and i dont want him to hate school and want to drop out when he gets 16 he has the brains and is currently on the honor roll its just lately he has a no care attitude i am working wotht he dr and teachers in conjunction the main thing is i will never give up i will always push him and try harder to learn what makes him tick so i can deal with his attitude moods etc,,,ty all for listening to me it means a lot :)

Blondiex46
01-05-2005, 10:23 AM
here check this out I got it today, maybe it will help

http://add.about.com/