PDA

View Full Version : ? on DVD Players

janelle
01-03-2005, 06:05 PM
We got a combination DVD, VHS player after Christmas. We rented a DVD last night from Blockbuster and it stopped and skipped during the movie.

Not sure if DVDs are better than VHSs when so many people can handle them. It had scratches on it. DVDs have to be handled more gently than a VHS since you can get your fingers on the disk. But I see Blockbusters are fazing out VHSs so DVDs will be all the new movies you can get after awhile.

Not sure if this is good. My VHS worked fine and we would not have bought a DVD but everyone is going with them. :confused:

Willow
01-03-2005, 06:11 PM
I bought a new VCR on Friday. I wanted to get a DVD player but if I did we wouldn't be able to watch all of the movies we have. We have about 50 of them so I would hate to have to replace all of those with DVD's. I was thinking about getting the DVD/VCR combo but I've heard that if the VCR part of it stops working then you won't be able to play DVD's in it either and vice versa. Also I could of bought both a VCR and DVD player for less than what they wanted for the combo. I will eventually buy a DVD player though.

janelle
01-03-2005, 06:15 PM
People are selling their VHSs everywhere so you can get them for a song. :p I have a feeling I won't like the DVDs as well. They are still too fragile.

Starr_79
01-03-2005, 07:30 PM
You might want to try a different brand/model player. I know that my mom's was bad about skipping, and the only DVD player I had had in my house was a friend's PS2, and that was awful, it wouldn't play alot of rented stuff, and/or played it poorly. I think it really depends on the player. My hubby bought me an RCA DVD player a year ago, and it is great! It has never had a problem (knock on wood) playing anything, even scratched-up, rented ones. I thought I would hate DVD too, but now I love them!

Eyore
01-03-2005, 08:00 PM
I have a DVD/VCR combo that I have had a couple of years now. When we rent from Blockbuster we get them sometimes where they skip, when that happens I clean the DVD and that usually helps but if it doesn't then I clean the DVD player. Sometimes nothing helps because they are scratched up.