PDA

View Full Version : I got a puppy!! A few questions for housebreaking...

JazzMama
01-03-2005, 09:14 AM
We adopted Sally from NEAFA (Northeast Arkansans for Animals) on Saturday and she's just adorable! They think she's a cocker spaniel/golden retriever mix, but she looks all cocker to me!

She's been having a blast running through the house and cuddling on the couch. Although, it's definitely an adjustment (we've never had an animal in the house before), she's the best!

Now for questions: Anyone have tips on housebreaking? They estimate that she's between 8-10 wks old. We take her out every hr/hr and a half to try. We use the word "out" and use the same door. She's put on her leash so she doesn't think it's playtime. When she does her business, she gets a puppy biscuit and is praised. When she has an accident, we clean it up w/ paper towel and take her outside so she can see that pee/poo goes "out". Does that sound about right?

During the night, she sleeps on her big pillow in the kitchen. She is kept in the kitchen by a puppy gate to eliminate accidents on the carpet. We put out newspapers for her to pee/poo on. In the morning, same routine, the newspapers are taken "out". About how long should we continue newspapers?

Angelseyes28
01-03-2005, 09:20 AM
Sorry but I have no advice, just wanted to tell ya congrats on your new puppy:)

schsa
01-03-2005, 09:58 AM
Keep on the schedule. Take her back to the same place that she went the last time and she will start to associate the two. Every puppy works to a different schedule so she may figure this out in a few weeks or it may take a bit longer.

I would also crate train her. Put her in a crate at night. Dogs like small dark places to sleep. A kennel or crate will be a safe place for your pup. Give her treats there and she will be happy. Plus she will be reluctant to pee where she sleeps and when she goes through the chewing stage you will have some place to put her that she likes before she eats all of the shoes in the house.

Finally, at about 6 months enroll her in puppy training class. You can pick up some good points and it's a hoot to watch everyone with their dogs.

pookiebearluvsscott
01-06-2005, 06:51 PM
CRATE CRATE CRATE!!! I had my Basset Hound trained completely within weeks (he was 4 weeks when we got him!!!) with only 1 accident in the house the entire timeand not once in his crate. It may seem a bit cruel at first to have them spend so much time in their crate but trust me by the time they are 6 months old they are so much better off! I can leave my puppy out now for the entire day and he always goes to the door to go out. By letting your puppy go in the kitchen your not teaching him that its NEVER okay to go inside the house. It will take you a very long time to housebrake doing that.

We made sure he never had any extra room in the crate.Puppies really are a lot of work and the crate just takes so much of the "chore" part of owning a little one out of it. More time to enjoy the good things!

Good luck

puffy
01-06-2005, 07:16 PM
The only thing that worked for me was positive reinforcement! Everytime my puppy went potty outside (I also took him out on a consistent schedule) I would give him a small treat (most of the time it was just a piece of his regular dog food) and within a few weeks he was fully trained and hasnt had an accident since. I also hung a bell around the door knob to the backyard so when he has to go he nudges the bell with his nose and we can hear it from anywhere in the house. My mom keeps her litter box for her kitty in the garage and also taught her to ring the bell when she had to go out there.
I want another puppy!

SKYFYRE
01-07-2005, 01:12 AM
I agree with positive reinforcement. When I got my Miniature Pincer, I tried putting paper where she had her accident, thinking that she would eventually get the idea. She didn't. Then, when she went someplace other than the paper, I shook my finger at her and said "bad girl" as I cleaned up the mess. Then one day...no messes...aaaalllll day long, nothing. She was sleeping on the sofa when she suddenly began to "wet the bed", and was clearly distraught. Poor little thing thought she was being punished for the ACT of going potty,not for going int he wrong place, and had held it all day, till she couldn't hold it any more. After that, I changed my gameplan, and ignored the accidents just quietly cleaned them up and showed her where I wanted her to go instead, and rewarded the times when she would use her paper. In no time, she was housebroken, and now, she even holds it until I get dressed to take her out in the morning, and then again in the evening (we are apartment dwellers).

Hollie1974
01-07-2005, 02:44 AM
Congrats on the new furbaby!!

Hugs,
Hollie

miralys
01-07-2005, 04:32 AM
I would recommend you invest in a crate. After the first accident, our pup would not mess her crate. It is like her house. When she is tired, cranky, etc that is where she goes. I have trained both ways and crate training is so much easier. Also, you might want to get Bitter Apple for when she starts chewing. You can get it at any major pet store. I agree with the reinforcement. Buy some small treat to give her everytime she goes outside. Have fun with your new pup and enjoy her. They grow so fast!