PDA

View Full Version : Don't know where to put this....

Natties_Mom
12-29-2004, 10:59 PM
Does anyone have any information on the Paxil class action lawsuit? I've been on it for a while and I just heard about it. I can't find anything online about joining in on it. Hoping someone else was taking it and has info. Thanks!

Blackberry
12-29-2004, 11:24 PM
I haven't heard anything about it. What is the lawsuit for? Does it cause some horrible side effects? I took it for a while, worked great for a few weeks then ...... nothing. So I switched meds.

Sorry, I don't have any info for you. Just bumping in case anyone else does.

By the way, where in Washington is Davenport? I live in Auburn. :)

ang in NC
12-30-2004, 08:28 AM
I took it for 11 yrs!

Willow
12-30-2004, 09:01 AM
I haven't heard anything about a lawsuit but I did take it for a while a few years ago. That stuff was horrible. It caused me to gain a lot of weight. I guess that's one of the bad side affects among others. The worst thing was being weaned off of it. I felt like I had the flu. I'm on Welbutrin now and it works great.

Natties_Mom
12-31-2004, 08:12 AM
I have gained alot of weight since being on it too, one of many side affects. The lawsuit, the one I'm looking for info for at least, is about them not putting out a generic verison to save people money. I am on generic Paxil now, so I'm not sure if that is really what it's for. I'm on 40mg's of the stuff and the generic for me is $75 a month! (no insurance, of course) Patchouli, do you happen to know how pricey Welbutrin is? I've heard good things about it. Thanks guys!

Blackberry, I just moved here from Monroe, WA... Davenport is about 30 miles west of Spokane. What did they switch you to? Nothing else worked for me, I've been on Atavan, Zanex, Prozac, Clonopin... Paxil is the only thing, so far, that works for me. :(

Crick
12-31-2004, 09:03 AM
http://myclassactionlawsuit.com

one right hand side is a list of medicines, click on paxil and it will bring up information on the class action law suit.

Might check out this site regarding class action lawsuits against paxil.

Willow
01-03-2005, 09:38 AM
I have gained alot of weight since being on it too, one of many side affects. The lawsuit, the one I'm looking for info for at least, is about them not putting out a generic verison to save people money. I am on generic Paxil now, so I'm not sure if that is really what it's for. I'm on 40mg's of the stuff and the generic for me is $75 a month! (no insurance, of course) Patchouli, do you happen to know how pricey Welbutrin is? I've heard good things about it. Thanks guys!

Blackberry, I just moved here from Monroe, WA... Davenport is about 30 miles west of Spokane. What did they switch you to? Nothing else worked for me, I've been on Atavan, Zanex, Prozac, Clonopin... Paxil is the only thing, so far, that works for me. :(

I would of replied sooner but couldn't since BBS was down. I don't know how much the Welbutrin is because it's covered by my insurance. I only pay a $3 copay for prescriptions. If I can find anything out I will let you know.

YankeeMary
01-03-2005, 09:45 AM
I took Paxil for years and loved it. Maxed out on it at 70 mg. FDA recommends 60 mg. so needless to say they took me off Paxil and haven't found another that worked as good as it did. I did gain weight on it but was worth it. There are not many that liked Paxil or that Paxil worked for. Good Luck.

schsa
01-03-2005, 11:14 AM
This is in response to the possibility that these drugs cause people to commit suicide or drive them to commit suicide shortly after starting them. It is my opinion that people who are deeply depressed to the point of non functioning may with medication finally have enough energy to commit suicide. I also think that some people are very sensitive to these drugs and may have gone into a deeper depression and committed suicide because of the drugs. However, at some point each of us has to take responsibility for the medications that we take. We are given literature about these drugs and we are warned that there may be side effects. Brain chemistry is not a science. It is not like a heart transplant or mending a broken arm. There is no way to measure how someone will react in advance. At at some point the patient needs to be talking to the doctor and not assuming that their doctor is some sort of cure all god.

I am bi polar and have major depression. One of the first things I learned was to talk to my doctor when I wasn't feeling right. Because I knew what felt normal and what didn't. If you had the flu and your doctor gave you something to take for it and you were feeling worse in a few days, you would be back at your doctor's door step. This is the same for anti-anxiety and anti-depressant drugs. You have to monitor how you are feeling and you have to talk to your doctor.

I understand that it is different for children and young adults who may not have the maturity to understand this but I also know that parents should be monitoring their children on these drugs. You wouldn't give your child an aspirin for a fever and not go back to check if the fever is lower.

Just my opinion. Too many people are helped by these drugs against those who might take their lives and may have been planning to do so before even starting the medications.

Blackberry
01-03-2005, 02:35 PM

Natties_Mom, to be honest I don't remember what I went on after Paxil. I have been on so many meds I can't remember them all. I don't respond well to meds so we are always trying new meds and conbinations. Right now I'm on Seroquel, Ritalin and Abilify. I just got off of Provigil ( wasn't working & cost $100.00 per month) and Effexor (same reasons). I used to take Wellbutrin SR but it didn't do anything for me either.

schsa
01-03-2005, 02:52 PM
Blackberry, you have my deepest sympathy. there is nothing worse than having to try drug after drug to see what works and what doesn't. Really messes with your head. I hope that you have a very good doctor and that you are getting great care.

Dragonfairie
01-03-2005, 04:39 PM
www.paxilclaims.com
you have until 2/15 - nothing harmful, they broke anti-trust laws

SmucknFart
01-03-2005, 11:32 PM
According to what I just read, this is only if you PAID for Paxil. If your insurance or state medicaid paid for it, you're not entitled to anything.

mistressB
01-04-2005, 08:25 AM
i took paxil for a year and had no trouble with it. i've found that if you buy pills double the dose and split them you are getting the correct dose but only have to buy half the pills, cutting prices down in half. this only works with certain pills and should only be done when the dr. says it's ok. i bought a one month supply and was going to say forget taking them because the cost was so high. but paxil had a program that my dr. signed me up for. they would fed ex me a 2 month supply every two months for free.

Blackberry
01-04-2005, 01:09 PM
Blackberry, you have my deepest sympathy. there is nothing worse than having to try drug after drug to see what works and what doesn't. Really messes with your head. I hope that you have a very good doctor and that you are getting great care.

Thanks Schsa. Although I've taken many, many different meds, Paxil stands out because of the reaction I had from it. After over a decade of depression I found a medication that made me feel so wonderful and normal. It lasted 3 weeks then started slipping away until the bottom dropped out and I felt nothing at all from it. It was one of the most devestating events in my entire life. I know that that sounds dramatic, but it is true. I've never gotten that good of a "normal, happy" feeling again. But I'm pretty stable right now so I feel fortunate about that. It is not the cloud nine feeling, but I guess that was just too much to ask :)

Blackberry
01-04-2005, 01:13 PM
i've found that if you buy pills double the dose and split them you are getting the correct dose but only have to buy half the pills, cutting prices down in half. this only works with certain pills and should only be done when the dr. says it's ok.

I do this with one of my meds too. I have crappy perscription coverage, my co-pay for this certain medication is $100.00 a month. Luckily they can be cut. My doctor was the one who suggested it because I can't afford $100.00 a month and she wanted me to stay on it. My insurance does not offer a discounted mail-order pharmacy. I sure wish they did.