PDA

View Full Version : My poor garbage men

Tisky67
12-27-2004, 11:33 AM
I kinda felt guilty this morning as a drug the garbage to the curb. Hubby was leaving for work & just stared at the pile of boxes & bags upon bags of christmas paper. He warned me that the garbage men would not be happy when they stopped here. ( I have a bad habit of not breaking boxes down)

Well the garbage truck pulled up & I stood in the kitchen to watch. It was ONE GUY !!!! He got out of the truck & just shook his head at my pile. I almost ran him out a christmas card with a $20 in it, UNTIL...........

He whipped my garbage cans over the fence into the neighbors yard.

DreamWorld
12-27-2004, 11:42 AM
I would report him. His job is to serve the community.

mistressB
12-27-2004, 11:45 AM
wow! you'd think they'd be use to all the extra trash after the xmas holiday. from what i hear garbage men are part of a union and get paid rather handsomly.

disneymom
12-27-2004, 12:23 PM
wow! you'd think they'd be use to all the extra trash after the xmas holiday. from what i hear garbage men are part of a union and get paid rather handsomly.
Some are and some arnt. My hubby was a garbage man for waste management (until they closed his shop, becase of talking about getting a union that is a whole vent in another post lol) any way, he only got paid 11.50 an hour, and was out all kind of insane hours a day, almost got hit a few times because of careless drivers,
I have a total respect for garbage ment, I mean you figure, could you lift 30-40 lbs bags of garbage all day...I sure know I couldnt. I know hubby had a few customers (I hate to say this0 but he ran over their cans, only becase they were so rude to him, time and time again. But the people called the company, and he had to replace the cans (out of his pocket)

So I guess I am trying to say, REPORT the guy...that was uncalled for

PS I always tip my garbage man lol, people dont think of it, but who else is gonna hull away all that junk?!?

Happy Holidays :)
Nicole

mistressB
12-27-2004, 12:26 PM
yeah my gram always made candy for our garbage man when i was young. i'm not sure if she tipped him or not. i don't think a lot of people tip because it costs so much for the service.

navywife
12-27-2004, 12:27 PM
Although the garbage man does serve the community, the community owes him a little common courtesy to have the trash in an orderly fashion. JMO

ezmoney163
12-27-2004, 07:29 PM
OK!!! First off he should not have thrown your cans, I get so mad when I go to the end of the drive way and my cans are either in the ditch that has gross water in it, out on the highway, (yes a main road is in front of our house), or they are no where to be found. :rollleyes: We pay ALOT for garbage service too. Our cans have been totally destroyed by our crew. Personally I see no reason for bit of respect to my stuff. Oh ans another thing, If they decide they don't want to take all the stuff this week, they don't t sits there till they are good and ready to take it. :rolleyes: (this just happened a few weeks ago)

Oh and just to let you know, we at the most ever have 2 bags because we burn our paper here.

YankeeMary
12-27-2004, 09:44 PM
My trash man is great for real. He always puts my cans back and get this...he puts the lids back on. Unreal eh? But to be honest, I pay good money for trash service and I expect it. Not necassarily putting the lids back on but putting my cans back where they belong. But I also do as he asks, which is real simple, put everything in a trash bag. If I have something that requires 2 people to take it away, then call and let them know in advance. Since my trash man owns and runs his own business, he does most of it on his own and on occassion has help. I respect him and in return he respects me. I would be very angry if he threw my cans in the neighbors yard. If I didn't break down my boxes or something like that, then he would come to the door and ask me not to do it, since it slows him down. This has happened once, thanks to my sons being a bit lazy....hehe. Sorry this has happened to you.

babydoll_jen
12-27-2004, 10:07 PM
As a wife of a garbage man, I have to chime in here. As someone stated earlier, they do not get paid a whole lot. Second, just think of the weather that they have to endure. Freezing temps., raining, coming home soak and wet or their fingers or toes barely hanging on from freezing so much. Plus the hours some of them work. My hubby is up at 4 am and sometimes does not get home until 6pm, plus, he is a one man pick up. He does everything himself. And some of you might say "hey look at all the overtime", but guess what, no overtime. He gets paid the same if he works 8 hours or 15. They get attacked by dogs, cut with glass and God forbid, some get hit with vehicles. Sure, it's not the fanciest job in the world, but it is a JOB. And I must say, they work for their money. Another point, here where I am, there is a limit to how much garbage they will pick up. A four bag limit. If you have any more than that, it WILL lay till the next pickup. Just remember people, there will always be garbage and someone has to pick it up.

One thing I forgot to add: Most garbage men don't deliberately throw your trash cans, now mind ya, I said most. Some days it's windy out and they DO tend to blow. And if you ARE near a main highway like I am, we have coal trucks coming and going all the time, they tend to stir a little wind when they come driving past the houses and that causes trash cans to blow also.

mistressB
12-27-2004, 10:30 PM
after some research online it shows that the average trash collector's yearly wages were $33,372 in 2001 so it has to be more now. isn't that around what teachers make, teachers who had to go to years of college to get a degree? even police men don't make much more than that. and if they are part of a union, which a lot are they are also getting benifits on top of that.

ezmoney163
12-27-2004, 11:55 PM
i think you are right mistress, becuse my husband drives a dump truck now, BUT 3 years ago he was asked to get a job working for a refuse service, it paid close to $20 an hour. It was quite a bit of money and he would not have to work weekends, he would go at 3 or 4 am then be back by 2 or 3 pm anything above that was over time they said. Unfortunately he was unable to take it due to on going back problems, there was no way he could lift the bags all the time.

Side note : Our limit is 6 bags, we only have 2 at the most. Our yard is where they are instructed to put our cans, they NEVER put them there. The owner literally had to replace 2 cans of our s and 1 of our neighbors because of them not putting them back properly.

babydoll_jen
12-28-2004, 12:09 PM
after some research online it shows that the average trash collector's yearly wages were $33,372 in 2001 so it has to be more now. isn't that around what teachers make, teachers who had to go to years of college to get a degree? even police men don't make much more than that. and if they are part of a union, which a lot are they are also getting benifits on top of that.

I can assure you my hubby does not make that much. He is NOT in a union (as of yet) and yes has benefits, but has to pay for them as well. And overtime, HUH!!! Also, he did pay his way through schooling. So, it may not have been as much as a teacher would or a police man, but oh well, he did it just the same. And he is supporting a family on his wages, plus many other families by paying his taxes. Well, I'm done ranting. I've learned by reading comments at this place that you cannot please everyone. They only read into something what they want to read into anyway.

ezmoney163
12-28-2004, 12:49 PM
Hi Jen!!!

Where in PA are you?? I am in PA too!!! I just noticed where you are from. LOL

I am sorry you DH does not make alot where he is, if you are close I can tell you where me DH was offered a job and maybe he could go there. Please let me know, I would be more thsn happy to share the info??

Oh can I ask what schooling hubby went to?? Was it for refuse or something else??
Lemme know I may have a few tips for new job. Lemme know!!

FreeBnutt
12-28-2004, 02:58 PM
Boy, your LUCKY he took your trash that was NOT folded down, compacted, recycled properly, and just tossed your cans where you knew where they went. Here they would have left it until YOU compacted it, or remove it yourself.

freebielover
12-28-2004, 03:05 PM
Wow I can't believe he threw the can, he could've left it. I know here, our trash company provides the cans so if they disappear, its their problem, not ours. If they leave them in the road and they get run over, oh well their fault. Our trash man is pleasant enough to actually carry the can a ways into the yard so they don't blow into the road. I definitely would not want their job!

disneymom
12-28-2004, 03:20 PM
dang...wish that were the case, my hubby made 26000 andit was UNGODLY hours, the max you can operate a truck 16 hour days...NO OVERTIME just straight pay :(

disneymom
12-28-2004, 03:24 PM
Hi Jen!!!

Where in PA are you?? I am in PA too!!! I just noticed where you are from. LOL

I am sorry you DH does not make alot where he is, if you are close I can tell you where me DH was offered a job and maybe he could go there. Please let me know, I would be more thsn happy to share the info??

Oh can I ask what schooling hubby went to?? Was it for refuse or something else??
Lemme know I may have a few tips for new job. Lemme know!!

hey! fellow PAer here too :O) im in north east PA bout an hour from harrisburg :) am I close to you?

mistressB
12-28-2004, 05:28 PM
I can assure you my hubby does not make that much. He is NOT in a union (as of yet) and yes has benefits, but has to pay for them as well. And overtime, HUH!!! Also, he did pay his way through schooling. So, it may not have been as much as a teacher would or a police man, but oh well, he did it just the same. And he is supporting a family on his wages, plus many other families by paying his taxes. Well, I'm done ranting. I've learned by reading comments at this place that you cannot please everyone. They only read into something what they want to read into anyway.

i never said your husband made that. did i??? no i didn't. i typed the average garbage man. usually trash collectors who work for private companies don't make as much as the city workers. i really don't understand why you have to have an attitude with me, my comments were in no way directed to you or anyone else on this site. i was only showing statistics, i wasn't being rude.

1tiredmom
12-28-2004, 06:49 PM
Some are and some arnt. My hubby was a garbage man for waste management (until they closed his shop, becase of talking about getting a union that is a whole vent in another post lol) any way, he only got paid 11.50 an hour, and was out all kind of insane hours a day, almost got hit a few times because of careless drivers,
I have a total respect for garbage ment, I mean you figure, could you lift 30-40 lbs bags of garbage all day...I sure know I couldnt. I know hubby had a few customers (I hate to say this0 but he ran over their cans, only becase they were so rude to him, time and time again. But the people called the company, and he had to replace the cans (out of his pocket)

So I guess I am trying to say, REPORT the guy...that was uncalled for

PS I always tip my garbage man lol, people dont think of it, but who else is gonna hull away all that junk?!?

Happy Holidays :)
Nicole

my dad worked for new orleans sanatation dept & then waste management-he drove the truck but things he came home and talked about-i have the utmost respect for them-
yeah it was rude of him to do that but considering what time he had already been at work & what he has hade to go thru already & eapecially if it's not an all the time event-let it go-maybe the next time they come have a coke or something and just say i'm sorry about the way i left the trash last week--some may have a lot to say about what i suggessted but i think it will be ok

faygokraze
12-28-2004, 07:17 PM
That is the reason why I left some of my garbage inside (boxes and stuff that wont stink) ..Ill put the rest out next week!

ezmoney163
12-28-2004, 07:49 PM
hey! fellow PAer here too :O) im in north east PA bout an hour from harrisburg :) am I close to you?

Oh geez!!! I wish you were. I am in the North western part of PA. about 1 hour inbetween Erie and Pittsburgh.

I am so sorry. I sure wish I was so I could pass on the info. Hey you interested in moving??? LOL

Thank you though for responding. I do understand though some people do have the attitude of what you should make and what you do make, I personally know the feeling. My hubby drives a truck, works unGodly hours, and still only grosses around $27 -$28 thousand a year. As you know with 5 to support on wages like that it is hard. If you wanna talk pm me and I will email you or pm you my email. :D Sounds like we have alot we could talk about. LOL

(((((HUGZ)))))

navywife
12-28-2004, 08:11 PM
my dad worked for new orleans sanatation dept & then waste management-he drove the truck but things he came home and talked about-i have the utmost respect for them-
yeah it was rude of him to do that but considering what time he had already been at work & what he has hade to go thru already & eapecially if it's not an all the time event-let it go-maybe the next time they come have a coke or something and just say i'm sorry about the way i left the trash last week--some may have a lot to say about what i suggessted but i think it will be ok

I think that is a wonderful idea.....the garbage man may have had to break down 1000 boxes that day and was just frustrated. I am not suggesting his behavior was ok in this matter, but we also have a responsibility to have the garbage in a somewhat orderly fashion. Imagine all the time wasted on breaking down boxes and other items...he has a family to go home to as well. Just something to think about!

fatesfaery
12-28-2004, 09:44 PM
All the trash companies around here are private and have really specific rules about trash pickup.All trash has to be bagged, you can have what fits in the can plus four extra bags.All yard trash has to be in 30 gallon paper bags that we have to buy at either Home Depot or the nursery.There is a limit to how many bags of yard refuse they will pick up per week.All limbs and sticks have to be three feet or less in length and have to be tied in bundles.The limbs can't exceed a certain diameter. You have to pay extra per quarter if you want yard trash pickup.Even empty and washed paint cans are supposed to be filled with cat litter and set out separately. All boxes have to be broken down......if your boxes aren't broken down, they'll leave them sitting in your driveway.

SmucknFart
12-29-2004, 05:42 AM
Here, if you leave a pile of boxes like that, you'll be lucky if they take them. I wouldn't want that job. As for the pay...they deserve it. Would you want to deal with thousands of people's trash that you don't know? EWWWW! Not to mention the risks of getting cut by broken glass and such.

mistressB
12-29-2004, 05:52 AM
we share service with the neighbors because you are allowed up to 6 cans a week and neither of us could go through that much. our garbage men don't care as long as trash are in the cans (it doesn't have to be in bags though) and they take other stuff that is just sitting there on the curb. furniture, boxes, doesn't matter. they take it. i guess i'm spoiled.

schsa
12-29-2004, 06:48 AM
Our service provides a 90 gallon receptical for the trash. It hooks up to the truck and the truck dumps it. Personally, I wouldn't want the job and I am grateful for those who do.