PDA

View Full Version : HELP - any "radio operators" here ?

Jolie Rouge
12-26-2004, 01:36 PM
We purchased a set of four 2-way radios to use while hiking & camping with the kids. Inside it says that we are required to get a FCC GMRS license ! WHAT ??

The 21-1919 radio operates on the General Mobile Radio Service frequencies which require a Federal Communications Commission license to operate.

It further directs you to http://wireless.fcc.gov/uls for more inforamtion; most of it is in code that I don't understand.

Why do I need a FCC license to use what is a glorified walkie-talkie ??
How much trouble will I get in if we don't get these licenses ?
Do I need one for each radio - for the kids ???

ANYBODY ???

volkswagon7
12-26-2004, 01:57 PM
I think I may be able to help you with your question. Does your radio say just GMRS or does it say FRS too? If it is FRS then you do not need a license, if it just says the GMRS then you do need a license. If you have any other questions just let me know as I am a licensed ham radio operator.

volkswagon7
12-26-2004, 01:58 PM
By the way, the license fee for that is $80. Seems a bit high to me.

Jolie Rouge
12-26-2004, 02:07 PM
It says : 8 GMRS/14 FRS channels

This is what we have http://www.radioshack.com/images/ProductCatalog/ProductImage/21/21-1919.jpg

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=&product%5Fid=21%2D1919&site=search

Outfit the family with 2-way radios! Economical 4-pack of GMR/FRS 2-way radios features a 2-mile range—ideal for the amusement park or neighborhood. Comes in four different colors so no one gets their radios mixed up!

PRODUCT FEATURES:
• Up to a 2-mile range
• 22 channels
• Channel scan
• Key beep
• Battery-strength meter
• 500mW
• Requires 3 “AAA” batteries per radio for operation, not included

Jolie Rouge
12-26-2004, 02:09 PM
By the way, the license fee for that is $80. Seems a bit high to me.

$80.00

a piece !

:eek:

These are just for hiking and not losing Cub Scouts in the woods !?!

volkswagon7
12-26-2004, 02:12 PM
Since the radios you have only have half a watt of power, as long as you only use the 14 FRS channels you don't need a license. If you wanted to use the 8 GMRS channels, then you do need the license. Hope this helped you, any other questions let me know. Val

volkswagon7
12-26-2004, 02:13 PM
No, the $80 would cover all 4 radios if they were used by your family. I think your best bet is to just not use those 8 channels.

Jolie Rouge
12-26-2004, 02:18 PM
Okay - it says that it "scans all 22 channels seeking an active channel"

How will I know if it is a FRS channel and not one of the 8 GMRS channels ?
:confused:

Jolie Rouge
12-26-2004, 02:23 PM
Specifications:
Operating Frequency : UHF 462.5625 - 467.7125 MHz
Output Power 500mW Conducted

Would it help you to help me if I copied out the Frequency Chart ?

volkswagon7
12-26-2004, 02:26 PM
According to the FCC webpage that I read about it, as long as your radios are a half watt of power, then its ok. I would suggest that when you choose a channel to use, just make sure its not one of the 8 GMRS. But when you are scanning there is nothing you can do about it unless the radio has a switch to turn those channels off. I doubt that they have that kind of switch though. I don't think that you will have any trouble from using them.

Jolie Rouge
12-26-2004, 02:36 PM
WHEW !

THANK YOU !

I was wondering why they didn't have any of this information on the outside of the package....

What are the GMRS channels ? How will I know them in order to avoid using them ?? What would happen if we used them accidently ? Will FCC goons fine me a half million dollars like Viacom ?

catssass
12-26-2004, 02:41 PM
well, if you get caught...maybe you'll share a cell with Martha?...lol

volkswagon7
12-26-2004, 02:44 PM
The frequency that you listed is part of the FRS band plan so that means that you are ok with using it. The only way to tell which channels are which is if the radio shows it or if it is in the instruction book. I wouldn't worry too much about it, the FCC webpage says that the radios you have are ok to use without a license. If all else fails....claim you didn't know...and you really didn't...LOL.

tracyb
12-26-2004, 02:44 PM
i got the same thing for hubby for christmas i missed that part about 80 bucks which i am not getting so i guess i will visit you too................lol

Jolie Rouge
12-26-2004, 02:51 PM
LOL !

Well, if I suddenly disapear from BBS I guess I will have been incarcerated by the FCC :eek: ( maybe Martha will give me some new recipes to post ? )

Thank you, volkswagon ! I tried reading the webpage given, but since I didn't know the "lingo" and did not have a CORE to access the rest of the site I was just completely confused :confused: You have been a tremendous help.

((((volkswagon))))

volkswagon7
12-26-2004, 02:54 PM
You are very welcome. I always like helping people...especially the great people on this site.