PDA

View Full Version : exama help

disneymom
12-24-2004, 04:53 AM
Hello. we just had my almost 3 year old to the drs yesterday, because she has her 15th rash in 2 months, anyway, they always told me it was viral, NOW they tell me it is exama (sp?) she is so chapped poor thing. they told me to get lotrimin, and they prescribed a low dose steriod for her. Does anyone have anything else I could try? They also told me to limit bath time (which SHE LOVES) I feel so bad for her...any imput from been there done that mommies, daddys grammies, I dont care...anyone??

Thanks!
Nicole

KATinKY
12-24-2004, 06:29 AM
eczema? I don't have any advice other than you can go here and get alot of information on it.
http://www.babycenter.com/refcap/toddler/toddlerills/todrash/11427.html
(((Disneymom&daughter)))

Eyore
12-24-2004, 06:57 AM
I really don't know anything about it but I found some info on it, maybe you can find some useful information in these.

http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art6099.asp

http://www.mydr.com.au/default.asp?article=2941

http://www.marar.co.uk/skinclinic/sc_homeopathy_eczema.htm

disneymom
12-24-2004, 07:00 AM
thanks guys for the help! I just happened to read in the parents mag. puting lavender oil in a bath can help?!!?

nightrider127
12-24-2004, 07:06 AM
Don't use soap on her. There is some no soap cleansers out there that you can buy over the counter. And for a lack of a better term, keep the area "greased" really good.

Vanilla
12-24-2004, 07:51 AM
For eczema I find Cetaphil is quite soothing in lieu of soap. I have a steroid cream which my dermatologist prescribed which I only use in dire situations (the steroids thin the skin). You can also try Baby Eczema Cream (available at Target). Try and discourage ANY scratching.

Tadbit
12-24-2004, 08:05 AM
Instead of soap, you can use Aveeno in her bath. It's hard to find but if you can find a place that sells Rasinol (Spell) Salve. It works great on the healing. My grandmother use to use that stuff on us all the time when I was a kid for any kind of itching. She swore it would cure Cancer. I haven't seen it in the stores in quite a while but my sister just bought some a while back at a pharmacy. It use to come in small white jars that were glass, but I'm sure they are probably plastic by now. The salve is pink or a flesh tone in color. You could ask your pharmacist. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

fatesfaery
12-24-2004, 08:18 AM
Resinol is great stuff! DD had diaper rash a lot when she was small and Resinol worked better than the prescription stuff her pediatrition prescribed.
DS had tons of allergies that affected his skin....his ped. told me to only bathe him every other day and use Cetaphil on the alternating day. Back then Cetaphil was precription only and costs a small mint, but it worked really well.

flute
12-24-2004, 08:32 AM
If you go back to the doctor, get a prescription to "Elidel"
I just looked at the teeny, tiny tube I have, to make sure I spelled it correctly. (Grandma had that)

eta: May wish to try Curel Ultra Healing

gal3m
12-24-2004, 08:51 AM
My son has excema as well. His doctor told me to only use dye-free, perfume-free detergent. I noticed a big difference on his skin when I switched to that detergent. Also, I only use cleansers (shower gel, bubble bath, etc.) that are all natural (I bought some at a natural food store). If the rash gets really bad, I give my son Benadryl and it helps a lot. We first tried Eladel and it didn't work so his doctor put him on triamcinolone acetonide cream. If he is really itchy, I give him an oatmeal bath and keep the rest of his skin moisturized with Curel to prevent further break-outs. HTH. :)

june72
12-24-2004, 09:40 AM
I have a 7 year old and a 15 month old who have the same problem. I was told just like you limit the baths and told different things to try. The best thing I have found is vaseline. Put this on them before the bath and it repels the water from them. Plus it will take care of the dry itchy skin. I have put up with this for several years with them now. I know it don't help much but it will be better of the summer. My boys always get worse in the winter. Another thing they had me to try is Eucerine cream. I found out that the vaseline was much better to use and is less expensive to buy. I hope this helps you some. MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

renagade
12-24-2004, 09:58 AM
Get some Elidel its great stuff. My granddaughter who is 10 months old has it and that stuff is great.

YYounghouse
12-24-2004, 10:06 AM
If you go back to the doctor, get a prescription to "Elidel"
I just looked at the teeny, tiny tube I have, to make sure I spelled it correctly. (Grandma had that)

eta: May wish to try Curel Ultra Healing

I use Elidel on my four year old- we have the jumbo size, I try not to use it unless I must-because children with Eczema are nortorious for developing resistence to whatever is being used. You can even use it on the face.
Good luck. It is EXPENSIVE. But, a little bit goes a long way.

(ET correct grammar)

Vanilla
12-24-2004, 01:36 PM
Also IMPORTANT: Wash any new clothes prior to your child wearing them. The chemicals they put in clothes can irritate eczema.

Thanks to the poster mentioning Resinol. I will have to try it. :o

Starr_79
12-24-2004, 04:31 PM
I have had exema since I was a little kid, it can certainally be a pain! First thing is, I am confused about the lotrimin. Exema is not a viral thing, it is more like an allergy. And like allergies, things will trigger outbreaks. Polyester and stress trigger mine, so once you get it under control, try to think about what happened that day when she breaks out, to try to find her triggers. Also, I have never heard of resticting bath time, but I can tell you that hot water can hurt like crazy on a bad rash, so keep the water a bit cooler. Also, I was always told, after you get out of the bath/shower, don't dry the affected areas with a towel, if you let them air dry they will absorb more of the water.

Triamcinolone acetonide cream (RX) is a lifesaver when it is really bad, but like others have said, it is a steroid, so you can't use it constantly. I was told never use it more than 7 days in a row. I have found that if you can avoid scratching it, the pain will be considerably less. But, as an adult I can't even always keep from scrathching! :) Keep the area moisturized as much as possible. Also, oatmeal baths (like aveeno) are good - my baby niece has it on her face, so my sister mixes up the oatmeal bath with enough water to make it a paste, and then puts it in my niece's face, lets it sit a while, and then wipes it with a washcloth. She swears this works wonders. Also, if it is really bad, her Dr will give her oral anihistimines.

Good luck, and I hope the rash clears up soon! :) (P.S. Sometimes you may not be able to get the rash to go away all together for a long time. I have had rashes on both my arms and both shoulders since it got cold here, you can always see them, but they don't always hurt. The cold, dry weather just wont let it go away altogether I guess.)

CowNcalves
12-24-2004, 05:02 PM
My DD has had it since she was 6 months old. The Dermatoligist (sp) told us to give her luke warm baths and then pat dry her, then cover her in vaseline to hold the moisture in. Oatmeal in the bath water helps also. No soaps if possible and watch what detergent you use when washing clothes. We have gone through most of the lotions they prescribe but the elidel seems to have worked the best.
Good luck