PDA

View Full Version : Christmas breakfast casserole...

Thawn
12-22-2004, 08:21 PM
Can anyone recommend a Christmas breakfast I can get ready the night before & pop in the oven while the kids open their gifts?
Thanks in advance, Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays to all.

wubbywa
12-22-2004, 08:26 PM
I do an egg one on Christmas morning. You take as many eggs as needed and mix milk like you would with scambled eggs---then you take bread and rip it into pieces and put that on the bottom of your casserole (sp) dish. With the eggs I mix in ham pieces and salt and pepper to our liking. Next morning throw in the oven for 1 hour. It will depend on how deep and big your dish is but it should be fluffy kinda like you would want your scambled eggs. I know this doesnt sound that great but it taste good if you like eggs and it is easy. You can add anything you want besides ham.

cleaningla
12-22-2004, 09:01 PM
You got me looking. Think I'm gonna try this one. :)

Most of the recipes seem to call for dry mustard, I'm gonna have to buy some.

http://www.bbonline.com/recipe/casseroles-breakfast.html

6 eggs
1/2 tsp. dry mustard
1 cup milk
1/4 cup green onions, finely chopped
l lb. of ground sausage
1/2 tsp. original Mrs. Dash
3 oz. Monterey jack cheese, grated
2 drops hot sauce
3 oz. sharp cheddar cheese, grated
Pinch seasoning salt
Frozen shredded hashbrowns

Brown sausage and onion. Add Mrs. Dash and seasoning salt. Line the bottom of an 8x8 in. glass baking dish or individual ramekins with hashbrowns (about 1 in. thick). Sprinkle hashbrowns with drained sausage mixture. Mix together eggs, milk, mustard, and hot sauce and pour over meat and hash browns. Top with cheeses. Best refrigerated overnight. Cook at 350 degrees 45 min. to l hour or until golden. Serves 4.

jaybird
12-22-2004, 09:09 PM
This is easy & quick, and VERY good!

Overnight French Toast

1 loaf white bread, cubed
1 8oz. package cream cheese, cubed
8-12 eggs, depending on size
1/2 cup maple syrup or pancake syrup
1 cup milk

Line bottom of 11x13 pan with half the bread cubes.
Layer cream cheese cubes on top of bread.
Arrange remaining bread cubes on top.
Beat together eggs, syrup & milk in large bowl.
Pour over bread.
Cover and refrigerate overnight.

Next morning, bake in a preheated oven, 350 degrees, until light golden brown, about 45 minutes.

8 servings.

cleaningla
12-22-2004, 09:16 PM
This is easy & quick, and VERY good!

Overnight French Toast

1 loaf white bread, cubed
1 8oz. package cream cheese, cubed
8-12 eggs, depending on size
1/2 cup maple syrup or pancake syrup
1 cup milk

Line bottom of 11x13 pan with half the bread cubes.
Layer cream cheese cubes on top of bread.
Arrange remaining bread cubes on top.
Beat together eggs, syrup & milk in large bowl.
Pour over bread.
Cover and refrigerate overnight.

Next morning, bake in a preheated oven, 350 degrees, until light golden brown, about 45 minutes.

8 servings.

Yum! We might start eating breakfast more often. Gonna try this one too. Maybe on Sunday mornings. :)

Jolie Rouge
12-22-2004, 09:28 PM
I don't have a recipe - this one is kinda done "on the fly" ...

Layer baking dish with frozen hashbrown potatoes...
Brown sausage, ham or bacon and lay on top of taters ...
Mix eggs as you would for scrambled ... salt & pepper, milk ... and pour over meat & taters
Put in fridge overnight - put in COLD oven and turn it to 350 ( if you place it ice cold in preheated oven it can cause stress fractures in your dish )
Bake about an hour.

YUM !

twinkiesmom
12-23-2004, 01:38 AM
Wow! Looks like I'm making breakfast on Xmas! These look like awesome recipes.

~MK~
12-23-2004, 08:08 AM
Overnight Apple French Toast

1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup butter or margerine
2 T.B. light corn syrup
2 large tart apples, peeled and sliced 1/4-inch thick
3 eggs
1 cup milk
1 tsp. vanilla extract
9 slices day-old french bread, sliced 3/4-inch thick

SYRUP:
1 cup applesauce
1 jar apple jelly (10-ounces)
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/8 tsp. cloves
In a small saucepan, cook brown sugar, butter and corn syrup until thick, about 5-7 minutes. Pour into an ungreased 9-inch x 13-inch baking pan; arrange apple slices on top. In a mixing bowl, beat eggs, milk and vanilla. Dip bread slices into the egg mixture for 1 minute; place over apples. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, uncovered at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes. Combine syrup ingredients in a medium saucepan; cook and stir until hot. Serve over french toast.

Thawn
12-23-2004, 09:32 AM
They all sound so good. I'm going to try them Sat & Sun. Thanks!

LindaL.
12-23-2004, 09:34 AM
Hearty Breakfast Bake
All your favorite breakfast foods are combined in one deliciously hearty recipe! This old classic from the Betty Crocker Kitchens dining room is sure to become a new classic in your kitchen.

1 package (12 ounces) bulk pork sausage (I add cooked bacon instead)
4 medium green onions, thinly sliced (1/4 cup) or 1/3 cup chopped green or red bell pepper or any other veggies you prefer
2 1/2 cups frozen loose-pack hash brown potatoes, (from 30-ounce package)
1 package (8 ounces) shredded Cheeder cheese (2 cups)
1 cup Original Bisquick® mix
2 cups milk
1/8 teaspoon pepper
5 eggs

1. Heat oven to 400ºF. Spray 13x9-inch baking dish with cooking spray or grease with shortening.
2. Cook sausage in 10-inch skillet over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until no longer pink; drain. Layer hash browns, onions, veggies and cheese in baking dish. Stir remaining ingredients in large bowl with fork or wire whisk until blended. Pour over ingredients in baking dish. Sprinkle some cheese on top.
3. Bake uncovered 35 to 40 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.

High Altitude (3500-6500 ft)
No changes.
Do-Ahead Tip
To make this the night before, assemble in baking dish, cover and refrigerate overnight. Uncover and bake at 400°F about 1 hour or until knife inserted in center comes out clean.

This is one of the best breakfasts I have ever had. Its a definite favorite in my household and you can add anything you want to it. Hubby loves jalepenos and I can't stand them so his part usually gets some... I hope you enjoy this recipe!

dcut4
12-23-2004, 09:49 AM
This is a great drink to go with all the breakfast casseroles, taste just like a dream cicle.

Morning Orange Drink

1 can (6 ounces) frozen orange juice
1 cup cold water
1 cup milk
1/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
10 ice cubes

blend all in mixer, serve immediately

I sometimes don't put in as much water to make it thicker like a milkshake.

~MK~
12-23-2004, 10:27 AM
Blueberry-Cream French Toast Casserole

1 loaf Texas toast or egg bread, cut into cubes
1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, slightly softened
1½ cups fresh blueberries, tossed lightly with flour
Cinnamon
8 large eggs
1½ cups milk
¾ cup maple syrup
6 tablespoons butter, melted

Coat a 13-by-9-by-2-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Layer one half of bread cubes in baking dish. Cut cream cheese into cubes and scatter over bread. Layer blueberries over cream cheese. Cover blueberries with remaining bread.
Sprinkle generously with cinnamon.
Mix remaining ingredients and pour over bread; press bread with spatula to help soak up mixture. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
Bake at 350 degrees for 45 to 50 minutes.
Makes 8 servings

Lora_1994
12-23-2004, 10:42 AM
Breakfast casserole
1 lb. spicy pork sausage (the kind that comes in a roll)
6 eggs
1cup heavy whipping cream
1 cup water
1tsp. salt
1tsp. ground mustard
1cup grated cheddar cheese (4oz.)

Brown sausage and drain. Beat eggs with heavy cream, water, salt and mustard. Layer the sausage and cheese in a 9x13 baking dish. Pour egg mixture on top. REFRIGERATE OVERNIGHT. Bake at 350 for 45 minutes.

Desiree’s Sausage & Egg Casserole

2 lb. Sausage, browned and drained
6 eggs
2 cups of grated cheese
1 cup soy flour
1/4 cup chopped onion
1 few good dashes of hot sauce

Mix all ingredients and press into a 9"x13" pan. Bake at 350* until lightly brown. Cut into squares to serve. Can be made the night before and warmed in the oven.

SAUSAGE AND EGG PUFF

1 lb ground hot sausage
2 slices bread, diced
1 c grated sharp cheddar cheese
6 eggs
1-2/3 c milk (possibly substitute cream)
1/2 tsp salt
1 drop Tabasco sauce
1 tsp dry mustard
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce

In a skillet, brown sausage, breaking up any large lumps; drain. In a 2-quart casserole, layer sausage, bread, and cheese. In a bowl, beat eggs with remaining ingredients. Pour over layers in casserole. Cover and refrigerate 12 hours or overnight. Remove from refrigerator 1 hour before cooking.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bake, uncovered, 45 minutes or until firm and golden. Serves 6. Per serving: 514 cal, 42.2 g fat, 288 mg cholesterol, 9.3 g carbohydrates, .2 g fiber, 22.9 g protein, 951 mg sodium.

~MK~
12-23-2004, 11:05 AM
SAUSAGE BISCUIT STRATA

1 lb. Bob Evans Farms Original Recipe Roll Sausage
6 prepared biscuits, split and buttered
(Country-Style biscuits work best)
1 C (4 oz.) shredded cheddar cheese
8 eggs
1 1/2 C milk
1/2 C pancake syrup

Crumble sausage into large skillet and cook over med. heat until browned, stirring occasionally. Drain off any drippings. Spoon into greased 13 x 9 inch baking dish, top with biscuits, split sides down and sprinkle with cheese. Whisk eggs, milk and pancake syrup in large bowl until blended. Pour over biscuits. Cover, refrigerate 8 hours overnight. Preheat oven to 350 degress. Bake 60 - 70 minutes or until knife inserted near center comes out clean. Let stand for 5 mins. before cutting into squares, serve hot. Refrigerate any leftovers.

chanbe
12-23-2004, 11:11 AM
I gotta quit reading these.I'm making Christmas eve dinner and baking all the "usual" goodies.I hate to cook,but these sound sooo good, that now I'm planning on making one for Christmas breakfast! :eek: My husband will wonder what's gotten into me.

queenangie
12-23-2004, 04:55 PM
That Blueberry recipe, served with warm blueberry sauce is
about as close to heaven as you can get!

Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Faithfully
12-24-2004, 09:25 PM
Just bumping for the morning. I did 2 of the recipes tonight. Jaybird's, and Furgy's.

Happy Holidays, and eating everyone!!

cleaningla
12-24-2004, 09:38 PM
I made Jaybirds too, But I added sliced bananas to it. :)

I coppied a few of them, can't wait to try them all.

Merry Christmas! :D

Blackberry
12-24-2004, 10:12 PM
Thank you all for posting these!!! Now I wish I'd have looked into this thread before getting the fixin's for our usual cinnamon rolls & juice.

Even though I hate to cook, these sound so good and easy I'm going to have to start cooking Sunday breakfast's!

twinkiesmom
12-25-2004, 05:40 AM
Here's a question. Those french toast recipes . . . . Do u cover em in the oven or no? TIA. I'm doing the blueberry one.

lassss
12-25-2004, 07:16 AM
Here's a question. Those french toast recipes . . . . Do u cover em in the oven or no? TIA. I'm doing the blueberry one.

I didn;t cover mine..BUT make sure before you make this recipe to spray the glass dish or it will stick like mine did !!! lol ..also do not put into a PREheated oven because a cold glass dish will crack

twinkiesmom
12-25-2004, 07:43 AM
Yep, I got mine sprayed. I didn't get it put together until 7am, so I was holding off as long as possible in putting it in oven so the bread would soak up the egg mixture. Guess I'll pop it in now.

wubbywa
12-25-2004, 10:45 AM
jaybird---I did your frnch toast one and it was a hit. Thanks

Faithfully
12-25-2004, 06:02 PM
Did both the casseroles, added cinnamon to Jaybirds, it was fantastic, esp. with the kids, and Furgy's was a huge hit too!! Thanks to all with their recipes!!

queenofquitealot
12-18-2005, 06:04 AM
I found these and they all sound good. Does anyone have anymore to add?

purplerose23
12-18-2005, 02:34 PM
Here is one kids rather enjoy! I do this one for my nieces, and they create their own masterpieces!

For the "Dogs":

Do the microwave sausage links, or bacon or ham strips

For the "Bread":

Microwave pancakes, warmed or toast

And the fun part for toppings, and kids can put on what they like:

(Put each topping in their own bowl and set accordingly as a line)
Shredded Cheese (Sharp/Cheddar or Colby Jack mix)
Scrambled Eggs, number made depends on family size.
Maple syrup
Jar of bacon bits
OR any other desired!

Serve with tator tots........or even quick hashbrown patties!

This is a quick, easy buffet style breakfast and usually is fun due to the creativity! It is a new tradition with mine!