PDA

View Full Version : Make them stop, please!!!

chacha
12-21-2004, 08:09 PM
Hubby made a transaction and did a check by phone for payment. The company continued to deduct money from his account each month until he decided to discontinue the service. He informed the company and they fought with him about it and said he was stuck with this monthly payment, so hubby put a stop payment on in so they could no longer take anymore money. So, now they have continued calling my house...we will no longer answer the phone when they call. So, they have started calling his mom's house, as the phone # is still in his deceased fathers name (they are a Jr and a Sr..same name). When my MIL answered and they asked for him, she said "I'm sorry, he has passed way". A few minutes later they call back a say "We want **** Jr...is he dead too?". She swore and hung up, obviously upset about this call. A few minutes later, they call back saying "Is he dead, is he dead?". How do we get this to stop? Is it legal for a company to be doing this???? Help........................

JKATHERINE
12-21-2004, 08:21 PM
I believe in order to get them to stop, you need to send them a letter telling them to 'cease and desist' in contacting you via telephone. Tell them that if they need to contact you, they need to do it via postal mail.

Do a search here on the site for the word "desist." You will come up with a bunch of threads that are similar to yours. You may find helpful info in them. :)

msmom79
12-21-2004, 08:21 PM
i say turn them into the B.B.B. in your area.i dont think they can do this at all. good luck to you and your hubby.ann

odielover
12-21-2004, 08:38 PM
I am not sure how it works anywhere else but in Virginia if you tell a bill collector or telemarketer to stop calling and they continue to call anyways you can file a charge of harrassment against them.

schsa
12-22-2004, 06:47 AM
They are harassing your MIL. Write the cease and desist letter, call your state consumer affairs board and the local BBB. They will let you fill out complaint forms and will follow up with the company. It's the only way you will get them off your back.