PDA

View Full Version : update on stolen baby

kaysee
12-18-2004, 08:48 PM
Woman Charged With Kidnapping, Murder
Father Reunited With Stolen Baby, Which Is in Good Health
By JOHN MILBURN, AP

MARYVILLE, Mo. (Dec. 18) - A woman charged with killing an expectant mother and cutting the baby from her womb was showing the child off to people at a cafe and to her pastor hours before she was arrested, residents said Saturday.

Lisa M. Montgomery, 36, was charged with kidnapping resulting in murder and was expected to appear in federal court Monday. The baby, whose mother had been eight months pregnant, was in good condition.

Hours before her arrest, Montgomery and her husband showed off a newborn girl at a restaurant, said Kathy Sage, owner of the Whistle Stop Cafe.

Many customers were surprised to hear the infant was only a day old, Sage said. She knew an Amber Alert had been issued for a baby missing from Missouri but did not realize the Montgomerys' infant was connected until hearing from a reporter on Friday.

"You read about this stuff,'' she said. "It blows you away when it's here. This stuff is supposed to be in New York City or Los Angeles.''

Montgomery was arrested later in the death of Bobbie Jo Stinnett, who was found Thursday in a pool of blood inside her small white home in the northwest Missouri town of Skidmore. Montgomery's husband, Kevin, has not been charged in the case.

WHAT HAPPENED:
An eight-months-pregnant woman was killed and her fetus cut from the womb. The baby was found in good health.

THE SUSPECT:
Lisa Montgomery, 36, of Kansas, admitted strangling Stinnett and taking the baby, authorities say. Montgomery, a mother of two, had been pregnant but lost a child.

Authorities said Montgomery contacted Stinnett through an online message board, and investigators zeroed in on her using computer forensics. Montgomery was seeking to buy a dog from Stinnett, who raised rat terriers.

While the couple ate breakfast, another customer showed the baby off around the cafe. After eating, they took the girl to visit their pastor.

"It was a beautiful baby,'' Mike Wheatley said. "Absolutely beautiful.''

The pastor had not seen the couple since October, and everyone in the congregation was expecting her to give birth around Dec. 12.

Jeff Lanza, an FBI spokesman in Kansas City, Mo., declined to discuss motives and said the investigation is ongoing.

He would say only that Montgomery was being held in Kansas and is expected to make her first appearance in federal court Monday, though authorities do not know whether it will be in Missouri or Kansas.

The baby girl, named Victoria Jo, was in good condition Saturday. Several family members, including her father, had been reunited with her at a hospital late Friday.

The infant was in good condition Saturday in an intensive care unit. Hospital officials said she was responding normally for a baby taken from the womb one month premature.

"She's doing well,'' said Carol Wheeler, a spokeswoman for Stormont-Vail Regional Health Center.

The family was not speaking to reporters, but the child's father, Zeb Stinnett, issued a brief statement calling the child "a miracle.''

"I want to thank family, friends, Amber Alert and law enforcement officials for their support during this time,'' he said.

U.S. Attorney Todd Graves said Montgomery contacted Stinnett through an online message board after seeing a Web site about rat terriers that Stinnett bred and raised. The site included a picture of Stinnett, showing she was pregnant.

Montgomery is the mother of two high school-age children, but Graves said she had been pregnant with another child that was never born. It was unclear when she lost the baby or under what circumstances, but the complaint said she had lied to her husband about giving birth.

According to court documents, Montgomery traveled to Topeka on Thursday to go shopping. She called her husband from there, saying she had gone into labor and given birth.

Kevin Montgomery and the couple's two children met Lisa and the newborn in the parking lot of a fast-food restaurant in Topeka and drove home, according to an affidavit.

The arrest stunned many townspeople who apparently had believed for months that Lisa Montgomery was pregnant.

How "could you not know that your wife's not pregnant?'' said Gary Deskins, owner of a convenience store in Malvern, a community of about 420 residents about 30 miles south of Topeka. "There's something missing.''

nanajoanie
12-18-2004, 08:53 PM
Saw on the news last night tha tshe was captured. Halleluheauh!!!!

ladybugbhb
12-19-2004, 05:51 AM
my thing is two fold: how did he not know she was not pg AND if i had just given birth at a shopping ,all, i can assure you richard would not just drive me home!! maybe he is more involved???

DAVESBABYDOLL
12-19-2004, 07:01 AM
She may have told him a story,like she had already been checked by a doctor etc.As for not knowing his wife is pregnant..there are many ways to hide the fact that you are OR aren't pregnant.

I just happy that the baby is alive and doing well.

wubbywa
12-19-2004, 07:05 AM
Fishy as to why they would pick her up at the mall after having a baby. He has to be involved OR he isnt to smart.

DAVESBABYDOLL
12-19-2004, 07:07 AM
Fishy as to why they would pick her up at the mall after having a baby. He has to be involved OR he isnt to smart.

I was thinking, he isn't too smart :rolleyes:

buttrfli
12-19-2004, 07:09 AM
I am so glad the baby is ok. That very same thing happened here a few months back and the baby did not survive :(

DivineMsDi
12-19-2004, 07:15 AM
The alleged kidnapper/killer is a total moron...she was SHOWING OFF the baby?? I guess they will say she was mentally ill and get off...it is terrible for people REALLY ill...this story is shocking. The husband is a jerk, too. (The phrase not too bright keeps popping up).

I hate how they keep putting the INTERNET is EVIL slant on this story. You can have nuts in the neighborhood do something to you like this...The woman did not deserve to die for her poor judgement of meeting a stranger at her home. But, you know, she bred dogs. What if someone read about her dog breeding in the paper and turned out to be a nut?

My heart goes out to the victim's family...and to the perp...life in prision with a few chicks named Big Bertha....does MO have the death penalty?

Nanc952
12-19-2004, 11:29 AM
The alleged kidnapper/killer is a total moron...she was SHOWING OFF the baby?? I guess they will say she was mentally ill and get off...it is terrible for people REALLY ill...this story is shocking. The husband is a jerk, too. (The phrase not too bright keeps popping up).

I hate how they keep putting the INTERNET is EVIL slant on this story. You can have nuts in the neighborhood do something to you like this...The woman did not deserve to die for her poor judgement of meeting a stranger at her home. But, you know, she bred dogs. What if someone read about her dog breeding in the paper and turned out to be a nut?

My heart goes out to the victim's family...and to the perp...life in prision with a few chicks named Big Bertha....does MO have the death penalty?

I agree she could have saw the ad in the newspaper just as easy. It is awful but you just don't know anymore.

What made me ill is what they had on the news today. Bless her she was still alive just when her Mother found her. So she was alive when the baby was cut out of her. That is just awful. I am thankful the baby is all right and doing well.

I hope they fry her but she will probably get off as mental. That should not be a excuse because with treatment then she might end back up on the street and want to have another baby or be grandma.

callsheb
12-19-2004, 12:38 PM
Yes Missouri has the death penalty and that is what she deserves i agree i dont understand how he would not know she is not pregnant but again he could of been one of those males that do not pay attention to details.

queenangie
12-19-2004, 03:32 PM
This woman gave birth 2 times before (she has 2 other kids).
Don't you consider the DH would remember how the other times went?

He must not be very bright.

Can you even imagine that poor victim's mother finding her (no longer pg)
dau still bearly alive, blood everywhere, no baby to be found.
This impacted all 3 generations of one family.

That woman and who ever helped with this horrible, horrible crime
deserve the severest sentence possible.
Sick! Sick! Sick!

buttrfli
12-19-2004, 03:39 PM

Luckily, she probably won't get away with being "mentally ill" or "insane" becasue of the fact there was too much pre-meditation that went on... remember she spent 8 - 9 months pretending she was preganet and probably had already picked her victim long before it was time to "deliver".

Starr_79
12-19-2004, 11:34 PM
This is so so sick! :( Has anyone heard about the lady that did this, what she did for a living? The reason I wonder is, it seems like you would need some kind of medical knowledge to cut a baby out of it's mother without hurting the baby. Maybe I am wrong, but it seems like it to me.

Jolie Rouge
01-20-2005, 10:25 PM
Woman Pleads Not Guilty in Woman's Death

KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) - A woman accused of strangling an expectant mother and cutting the baby from her womb pleaded not guilty Thursday, and prosecutors said they are leaning toward seeking the death penalty.

Lisa Montgomery, 36, of Melvern, Kan., did not speak during the brief hearing before a federal magistrate, who appointed another lawyer to her defense team after U.S. Attorney Todd Graves indicated he plans to seek a death sentence. ``That is the direction we are going,'' Graves said.

Montgomery is charged in the December slaying of Bobbie Jo Stinnett, a 23-year-old who was eight months pregnant, at her Missouri home. Stinnett's baby girl was found alive the next day with Montgomery in Kansas.

Anita Burns, Montgomery's public defender, had no comment after the hearing.

01/20/05 16:25

http://cnn.netscape.cnn.com/ns/news/story.jsp?idq=/ff/story/0001%2F20050120%2F1625820210.htm&sc=1110

Jolie Rouge
10-22-2007, 12:16 PM
Closing arguments in pregnant woman case
By HEATHER HOLLINGSWORTH, Associated Press Writer
49 minutes ago

KANSAS CITY, Mo. - A woman accused of killing a pregnant woman and cutting out her fetus was a cold, calculated plotter, prosecutors told a jury Monday during closing arguments, while defense attorneys countered that she was delusional.

Lawyers for Lisa Montgomery said she was suffering from pseudocyesis, which causes a woman to falsely believe she is pregnant and exhibit signs of pregnancy.

Montgomery, 39, is on trial for kidnapping resulting in death. Her attorneys are presenting an insanity defense. Prosecutors said they will seek the death penalty if she is convicted after the trial, now in its third week.

Prosecutor Roseann Ketchmark told jurors that Montgomery was driven by fear because she believed her ex-husband, Carl Boman, would expose that she was lying about being pregnant. Montgomery was cold and calculated and plotted up until the slaying of Bobbie Jo Stinnett on Dec. 16, 2004, in the northwest Missouri town of Skidmore, Ketchmark said.

"It's not pseudocyesis or post traumatic stress disorder," Ketchmark said. "And even if you wrap them up and put delusions around them, it's not insanity."

Prosecutors said Stinnett, 23, was conscious and trying to defend herself as a kitchen knife was used to crudely cut the baby from her womb.

Mental health experts testifying for the defense said threats to Montgomery's delusion about being pregnant caused her to enter a dreamlike, dissociative state when the slaying took place. Montgomery was arrested the day after the killing; prosecutors say she had spent the morning showing off Stinnett's baby as her own.

"Obviously she's believing she was pregnant or might be, because physical changes were manifesting," defense lawyer John O'Connor said in his closing statement. "There were physical manifestations. That's the key."

O'Connor spent much of his closing argument recounting stories about Montgomery's troubled childhood, filled with mental, physical and sexual abuse.

Montgomery had undergone a tubal ligation in 1990 after the birth of her fourth child. But soon after, she began claiming to be pregnant again, according to testimony.

Boman had become suspicious of her latest pregnancy claim and threatened to use it against her as he sought custody of two of the couple's four children. A custody hearing had been set for January 2005.

Montgomery's mother and sister also had been telling her husband, Kevin Montgomery, and his parents that it was impossible for Montgomery to carry a child.

As Montgomery's purported Dec. 13, 2004, due date approached, she began conducting searches on the Internet about Stinnett and researching different aspects of child birth. The defense views those efforts as evidence that she believed she was pregnant. The prosecution views them as proof of premeditation.

Besides convicting or acquitting her, jurors could find Montgomery not guilty by reason of insanity. If that is the verdict, she would undergo a mental evaluation and a judge would decide if she will be released or committed to a mental institution.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071022/ap_on_re_us/pregnant_woman_slain;_ylt=AunBfFIC13Rlrs7COtcmKUZH 2ocA

freeby4me
10-22-2007, 12:20 PM
I really hope they find her guilty and fry her @ss.

gmyers
10-22-2007, 01:05 PM
Boy its scary to be pregnant these day. If it isn't some nut that kills the pregnant woman and steals the baby then its the husband or boyfriend that kills her. This is so sad for the victims family. But at least they have the baby and she's ok.

deb_gar
10-22-2007, 06:07 PM
Guilty verdict in pregnant woman's death By ANDALE GROSS, Associated Press Writer
1 hour, 12 minutes ago

KANSAS CITY, Mo. - A woman whose attorneys had argued that she was delusional when she killed an expectant mother, cut the baby from her womb and took the infant home was found guilty Monday.

Jurors convicted Lisa Montgomery, 39, of kidnapping resulting in death in the 2004 attack on 23-year-old Bobbie Jo Stinnett in the northwest Missouri town of Skidmore.

The jury deliberated for about four hours before rejecting Montgomery's insanity defense. Jurors could have acquitted her outright or found her not guilty by reason of insanity. Prosecutors said they plan to seek the death penalty.

After the verdict was read, Montgomery dried her eyes and one of her attorneys patted her back. Her husband, Kevin, and Stinnett's husband, Zeb, showed no emotion.

Defense attorneys claimed Montgomery was suffering from pseudocyesis, which causes a woman to falsely believe she is pregnant and exhibit outward signs of pregnancy. They portrayed her as a victim of severe mental illness whose delusion of being pregnant was being threatened, causing her to enter a dreamlike state when the killing took place.

They also argued that she had post-traumatic stress disorder brought on by mental, physical and sexual abuse in her childhood.

Federal prosecutor Roseann Ketchmark called the pseudocyesis claim "voodoo science" during closing arguments.

"It's not pseudocyesis or post-traumatic stress disorder," Ketchmark said. "And even if you wrap them up and put delusions around them, it's not insanity."

Ketchmark said Montgomery plotted the slaying and abduction and took pains to cover up that planning after she was caught.

"She knows she's not pregnant," the prosecutor said. "It's no delusion. It's deceit and manipulation."

Montgomery had undergone a tubal ligation in 1990 after the birth of her fourth child. But soon after, she began falsely reporting a series of pregnancies. In 2004, she claimed to be due in mid-December.

Ketchmark said Montgomery believed her ex-husband, Carl Boman, would expose that she was lying about being pregnant and use it against her as he sought custody of two of the couple's four children. A custody hearing had been set for January 2005.

Montgomery's mother and sister also had been telling Montgomery's husband and his parents that it was impossible for her to carry a child.

As Montgomery's purported Dec. 13, 2004, due date approached, she began conducting Internet searches on Stinnett and researching different aspects of childbirth. The defense portrayed those efforts as evidence that she believed she was pregnant; the prosecution called them proof of premeditation.

Prosecutors said Montgomery used a rope to choke Stinnett, who was eight months pregnant. But Stinnett was conscious and trying to defend herself as Montgomery used a kitchen knife to cut the baby girl from the womb, prosecutors said.

Montgomery was arrested the day after the killing after spending the morning showing off the infant as her own in her hometown of Melvern, Kan.

Montgomery's attorneys and a spokesman for Stinnett's family declined to comment. Stinnett's baby is living with her family.

"The only good thing that comes from this tragedy is that little Victoria is a healthy baby and is reunited with her family," U.S. Attorney John F. Wood said.

After initially denying the crime, Montgomery told investigators she had taken a knife, rope and umbilical cord clamp with her to Stinnett's home. Montgomery said she had thought she was leaving the home when "something out of character" happened and "then this took place."

Attorneys are to start arguing Wednesday whether Montgomery deserves the death penalty

Jolie Rouge
10-24-2007, 02:35 PM
Penalty phase starts in stolen-baby case
51 minutes ago

KANSAS CITY, Mo. - Jurors deciding whether to recommend the death penalty for a woman convicted of killing an expectant mother and cutting the baby from her womb listened Wednesday to a 911 call in which the victim's mother described the gruesome crime scene.

"It's like she exploded or something," a sobbing Becky Harper told the dispatcher in the recording. "There's blood everywhere."

The federal jury convicted Lisa Montgomery on Monday of killing Bobbie Jo Stinnett on Dec. 16, 2004, in the pregnant woman's home in the northwest Missouri town of Skidmore. The baby survived, and Montgomery was arrested the next day after showing the infant off as her own in her hometown of Melvern, Kan.

The penalty phase of the trial began Wednesday. Prosecutors say Montgomery, 39, deserves a death sentence for the kidnapping resulting in death conviction. Her attorneys argue that she should get life in prison without parole — the only other punishment the jury can choose — because physical and sexual abuse she suffered as a child left her mentally ill.

During opening statements for the penalty phase of the trial, one of her attorneys, Fred Duchardt, said the defense would call two mental health experts and two of Montgomery's daughters to testify.

"It's obvious that Lisa has mental illness," he said.

On the stand Wednesday, Harper described her daughter, Bobbie Jo Stinnett, as intelligent and fun-loving.

"She never knew a stranger," Harper said.

Stinnett's husband, Zeb, said her death "devastated my life."

He described his wife preparing for the baby's birth. Prosecutors showed photos of the plastic tubs she had filled with baby clothes and blankets. Prosecutors also showed a photo of a baby monitor the couple used to listen to the baby's heartbeat.

"It was very exciting," Zeb Stinnett testified.

Prosecutors say Montgomery had a history of pretending to be pregnant to get attention and avoid work. Her ex-husband, Carl Boman, had told Montgomery he would use the fake pregnancy against her to obtain custody of two of the couple's four children. A custody hearing had been set for January 2005.

The defense said Montgomery suffered from pseudocyesis, a mental condition that causes a woman to falsely believe she is pregnant and exhibit outward signs of pregnancy. They said her delusion of being pregnant was being threatened, causing her to enter a dreamlike, dissociative state when the killing happened.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071024/ap_on_re_us/pregnant_woman_slain;_ylt=Ak3SAKTGIDGxhQfi6ke0mTCs 0NUE

Jolie Rouge
10-26-2007, 12:26 PM
Verdict in stolen-baby case: Execution
40 minutes ago

KANSAS CITY, Mo. - A federal jury decided Friday that a woman convicted of killing an expectant mother and cutting her baby from her womb should receive the death penalty.

Jurors deliberated more than five hours before recommending the sentence for Lisa Montgomery. Judge Gary Fenner will sentence Montgomery, but he had told jurors he was obligated to abide by their recommendation. A sentencing date has not been set.

Montgomery, 39, was convicted Monday of kidnapping and killing Bobbie Jo Stinnett on Dec. 16, 2004, in the victim's home in the northwest Missouri town of Skidmore. She was arrested the next day in Melvern, Kan., where she was showing off the newborn as her own.

Montgomery wiped her eyes with a tissue as the jury announced its sentencing decision. Her attorney, Fred Duchardt, had his hand on her shoulder.

When the jurors were asked if they agreed with the decision, each responded: "Yes, your honor." Afterward, the jury asked to speak to prosecutors and defense attorneys but did not say why.

Lisa Montgomery's husband, Kevin, and his parents were not in the courtroom when the verdict was read but came in as the jurors left. The family then went into another room without speaking to reporters.

Prosecutors argued that Stinnett's killing and mutilation is the kind of crime for which capital punishment is intended. Showing jurors photos of the bloody crime scene, the prosecution told jurors Thursday that Montgomery deserves to die because of the heinousness of her crime, and because computer evidence — including Internet searches on performing Caesareans — shows the crime was premeditated.

Federal prosecutor Roseann Ketchmark said Montgomery had violated Stinnett in the "most wicked way possible," then failed to seek medical attention for the infant, who was four weeks shy of her due date.

Defense attorney Fred Duchardt, who claims sexual abuse during Montgomery's childhood led to mental illness, asked the jury to spare his client's life. He said emotional abuse from her mother and sexual abuse from her stepfather "killed Lisa's soul."

"I'm not ashamed to ask you all for mercy," Duchardt told the jury. "I ask for it on behalf of Lisa and all the people who love her."

Prosecutors claimed Montgomery was faking mental illness to aid her defense. They also noted that few of the many people who have been sexually abused go on to kill.

Ketchmark showed jurors crime scene photos highlighting the blows to Stinnett's head, injuries to her elbows, defensive cuts to her hands and strangulation marks. "Look at the ragged abdominal cuts," she said. "This is vicious. This defendant mutilated her."

Ketchmark also described how the gruesome death had hurt Stinnett's family, particularly her husband, Zeb, who was forced to raise their daughter alone, and her mother, Becky Harper, who found her daughter's body.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071026/ap_on_re_us/pregnant_woman_slain;_ylt=AuYCSejgw.E1emr7E6KgiDes 0NUE

good

dv8grl
10-27-2007, 07:03 AM
Verdict in stolen-baby case: Execution

SOOOOOO glad the jury didn't buy into the whole mental illness defense, yes shes a crazy bitch ~ but AN EYE FOR AN EYE!

JKATHERINE
10-27-2007, 08:22 AM
SOOOOOO glad the jury didn't buy into the whole mental illness defense, yes shes a crazy bitch ~ but AN EYE FOR AN EYE!

:yeah

freeby4me
10-27-2007, 08:33 AM
Now hopefully they WILL FRY HER @SS and not wait.

Jolie Rouge
04-04-2008, 01:54 PM
Woman sentenced in death of mother-to-be
By JOHN MARSHALL, Associated Press Writer
5 minutes ago

KANSAS CITY, Mo. - A woman was sentenced to death Friday for killing a Missouri mother-to-be and cutting the baby from her womb. Lisa Montgomery becomes the third woman on federal death row.

She was convicted in October of kidnapping resulting in death in the Dec. 16, 2004, killing of Bobbie Jo Stinnett. Montgomery was arrested at her farmhouse a day after showing off Stinnett's baby as her own.

"I hope that today's sentence will bring some measure of closure to the family of Bobbie Jo Stinnett," U.S. Attorney John Wood said in a statement. "Seeking the ultimate penalty is not something we take lightly, but this outcome serves the cause of justice and honors the memory of Bobbie Jo Stinnett."

Prosecutors presented evidence during the trial that Montgomery strangled Stinnett with a rope, then used a kitchen knife to cut her daughter from the womb. Stinnett was eight months pregnant at the time.

The jury rejected claims from Montgomery's attorney, Fred Duchardt, that she should be spared the death penalty because sexual abuse during her childhood led to mental illness. Duchardt plans to appeal.

"The thing that happened here is horrible and we can't say anything differently about that and wouldn't even try, but what we've tried to express to everybody who would listen is just the sweet person she is," Duchardt said.

Montgomery's husband, Kevin, and Stinnett's mother, Becky Harper, attended the hearing with other family members, but neither spoke with reporters after leaving the courtroom.

Montgomery declined U.S. District Judge Gary A. Fenner's offer to speak before her sentencing and sat quietly as the judge imposed the sentence.

Before sentencing, Duchardt asked Fenner to include information about Montgomery's abuse and medical treatment in documents sent to the Federal Bureau of Prisons.

Department of Justice spokesman Don Ledford said Montgomery will likely be sent to the Federal Medical Center Carswell in Fort Worth, Texas, a women's correctional facility that has medical services for inmates.

Duchardt said Montgomery takes medication that has "done wonders."

Montgomery is just the third woman to be sentenced to federal death row since 1972, when a U.S. Supreme Court ruling led to an overhaul of death-penalty statues across the country. Since 1927, only two women have been executed under the federal system, both in 1953.

Ethel Rosenberg was the first, sent to the electric chair after her and husband Julius were convicted of conspiracy to commit espionage for passing atomic secrets to the Soviet Union.

Bonnie Heady was sent to the gas chamber with her lover Carl Hall for the kidnapping and murder of a 6-year-old boy in Kansas City.

Mary Surratt was hanged by the U.S. government in 1865 for her involvement in the conspiracy to assassinate President Lincoln.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080404/ap_on_re_us/pregnant_woman_slain;_ylt=ArjuUmY2.c6zEoUw22Pz4mBH 2ocA

but what we've tried to express to everybody who would listen is just the sweet person she is," Duchardt said.

Then she should live with Duchardt and his family....

No matter how "sweet" she is ... some crimes are beyond forgiveness in this world. The Lord God can forgive all things, but the rest of us are only human.

PrincessArky
04-07-2008, 05:58 AM
finally a punishment close to fitting the crime

flute
04-07-2008, 12:27 PM
Yea that was years ago, glad it's finally getting resolved, it's insane how long trials like this take isn't it??