PDA

View Full Version : Lunch lady told my DD she can't wear boots

justinenycole26
12-17-2004, 07:48 PM
My DD came home from school all mad today. Apparently she was in line for lunch and the lunch lady told her she can't wear her boots anymore. She was wearing a corduroy skirt with boots that come up to just below her knees. They have a heel on them, but not high heels. Kinda like a chunky heel. She has worn them all year and no one has said anything. It dos not say in the dress code that the kids can't wear boots.

Hey lunch lady, here's an idea: MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS! *I* buy my kids' clothes, not you. As long as she is dressed appropriately and her clothes are safe, they seriously need to leaver her alone. She did not have PE today, and they don't have a playground to play on, so she does not need to wear tennis shoes. It's not like I sent her in some Manolo Blahnik stilettos.

Steena
12-17-2004, 08:03 PM
I think Lunchlady was over-stepping her boundaries. IF your daughter was violating the dresscode, it would be up to her homeroom teacher or principal to say something, not the woman working in the cafeteria. Some children, like my dd, are a little sensitive, and a comment like that might hurt feelings/embarrass. You could write a note to her teacher and address it form there.

jedmatters
12-17-2004, 09:21 PM
Is there a possibility that the school is changing its dress code over winter break? Perhpas the lunchlady was giving a forewarning to her about a change in dress code. Just a thought.
I suggest contacting the principal and ask if the lunchlady has the ability to enforce the dress code. At our campuses, any employee can enforce the dress code, not just admin or homeroom teachers.

I would also check into the shoe codes. Ask about them, and see if the boots may violate something to come, or already in place.

matt111
12-18-2004, 05:04 AM
since when are the lunch ladies the fashion police

PearlyQ
12-18-2004, 05:17 AM
There is definitely more to this story than this, care to share? "Lunch Ladies"
do not enforce dress code.

I gotta say though that it's sickening to see little girls dressin' like hoochies and even more sickening to see their parents condoning that.

twinkiesmom
12-18-2004, 05:24 AM
I'm a lunch lady. (noonaide) And I am definitely no fashion police! lol I cannot think of any reason why this woman would say anything to your daughter about the boots she was wearing. Boots are encouraged at lunch time. W/the snow and all. I guess what I could see happening is she is being singled out maybe because of misconduct like trying to step on other kids' feet or scuffing up floors on purpose or something. I'm not defending this lunch lady, but find out if there is more to the story than dd's telling you.

lgc5564
12-18-2004, 05:29 AM

ITA

Kiddle4
12-18-2004, 05:39 AM
Ummm...it says she's in Florida. There's no snow there. It could just be that the lunch lady was concerned that the heels may cause a slip and fall situation. Call the office and ask for clarification on the dresscode. Elementary school girls are not allowed to wear boot like that to school because they pose a hazzard to just to the girl wearing them but to other kids that may be accidentally kicked.
If she is employed by the school, the lunch aide does have the right to speak to your daughter about her boots.
I agree witht the PP who said young girls are dressing much too old these days.

nosanity05
12-18-2004, 06:16 AM
I also live in FL, and right now (8 AM), its 35 degrees out. We've been in the high 20's and low 30's just about every morning this week. My DD has worn boots to school just about every day.
Just curious.....how is wearing boots with a chunky heel dressing your child like a "hootchie"?

diana1096
12-18-2004, 06:34 AM
I gotta say though that it's sickening to see little girls dressin' like hoochies and even more sickening to see their parents condoning that.

I Hear ya girlfriend!
I agree with the statement not in reference to the OP:)

justme23
12-18-2004, 07:38 AM
Really... how are chunky heels hootchie material? I'd rather see a little girl in chunky heels than some of the clothes walmart thinks are appropriate for children...

KATinKY
12-18-2004, 07:52 AM
Really... how are chunky heels hootchie material? I'd rather see a little girl in chunky heels than some of the clothes walmart thinks are appropriate for children...

ITA

cinnamonch
12-18-2004, 08:31 AM
Is there a possibility that the school is changing its dress code over winter break? Perhpas the lunchlady was giving a forewarning to her about a change in dress code. Just a thought.
I suggest contacting the principal and ask if the lunchlady has the ability to enforce the dress code. At our campuses, any employee can enforce the dress code, not just admin or homeroom teachers.

I would also check into the shoe codes. Ask about them, and see if the boots may violate something to come, or already in place.

The original OP state her daughter has been wearing these boots all year long with no problem. So it would seem that other people on staff would have said something by now if the daughter was out of dress code. Also, if the school was changing its dress code, some sort of notification would need to be sent so that everyone would be made aware.

irrelevant0
12-18-2004, 09:31 AM

i agree 100%

i don't think it is appropritate for elementary or early middle school age girls to wear boots like the op described. it sounds like the dd mentioned is young since the op mentioned a playground ... just my opinion.

Angelseyes28
12-18-2004, 09:49 AM
i agree 100%

i don't think it is appropritate for elementary or early middle school age girls to wear boots like the op described. it sounds like the dd mentioned is young since the op mentioned a playground ... just my opinion.
I don't see anything wrong with the boots she described. They are chunky heeled boots, not thigh high boots with a stiletto heel. My daughter loves the chunky heel boots and I have no problem letting her wear them, she's 9.

jedmatters
12-18-2004, 09:50 AM
I did not mean that the school could change it on the sly. Please do not think that. I meant thatthe lunch lady may just be giving heads up to some that wear things that may violate a new code to be enforced later.

DAVESBABYDOLL
12-18-2004, 10:35 AM
Ask the principal about it.

Faithfully
12-18-2004, 10:45 AM
How can boots, esp. chunky boots be inappropriate???

I think the chunky boots look real nice. Heck, the girls in our school district are allowed to wear tank tops, and mini(and I mean mini, where they come just below the bottom) skirts. That is way inappropriate, but my opinions have been all but ignored. I would ask the principle, and ignore the lunch lady.

disneymom
12-18-2004, 10:49 AM
I think the chunky boots are cute! It sounds like she was dressed very nice, maybe the lunch lady was just having a bad day, I dont see where it would be in her place to say what a student can and can not wear just my 2 cents :o)

LitWtch
12-18-2004, 11:58 AM
Though the "lunch lady" may have over stepped her bounds as far as commenting on the girl's boots, personally I'd just ignore it and move on. I would not encourage my child to blow off adults jurisdiction in the school, because regardless of WHO the adult is, they are ALL expected to uphold policies.
Frankly, I'd just let it go, and tell DD to do so also. If it happened again, then tell her to get the lady's name and talk with her boss. I see alot of the girls I work with in 2nd grade were these boots, and they are very cute - especially with a nice pair of jeans. It could be that someone accidentally got kicked, and the lady over reacted a bit.

CatrinaF25
12-18-2004, 02:57 PM

my lil girl is seven and has some VERY cute Mary kate and Ashley boots that have SMALL heals and go half way up her leg! they are SOO cute with a skirt!
Shes 7 she looks like a little girl not a hoochie.

CatrinaF25
12-18-2004, 03:01 PM
i agree 100%

Well my 7 yr old wears some like this. they are made for her SIZE (*shes small*) they are cute. personally i dont see nothing wrong with it. and my lil girl looks very cute nothing like a hoochie. Edited to say i am not saying your saying she looks like one! LOL dont want to step on no toes! haha!
BTW my little girl dresses very classy only in the best clothing! her teacher is always saying how very nice and cute she looks.

CatrinaF25
12-18-2004, 03:03 PM
Though the "lunch lady" may have over stepped her bounds as far as commenting on the girl's boots, personally I'd just ignore it and move on. I would not encourage my child to blow off adults jurisdiction in the school, because regardless of WHO the adult is, they are ALL expected to uphold policies.
Frankly, I'd just let it go, and tell DD to do so also. If it happened again, then tell her to get the lady's name and talk with her boss. I see alot of the girls I work with in 2nd grade were these boots, and they are very cute - especially with a nice pair of jeans. It could be that someone accidentally got kicked, and the lady over reacted a bit.

ITA

faygokraze
12-18-2004, 03:06 PM
Well how long was the skirt?

CatrinaF25
12-18-2004, 03:07 PM

YOu know i think this is extremely rude!
but thats just me!

KATinKY
12-18-2004, 03:15 PM
PearlyQ is not a member here, she is banned, but she keeps coming back under differnt names, so dont take offense from what she post, because whatever it is she post, she only does it to try to get you mad, she is always rude. Thank goodness the Mods always catch her.

tsquared
12-18-2004, 03:58 PM
I would ask the principal what the right dress code is .......sounds to me though your dd was dressed properly

BlueBerriTerri
12-18-2004, 04:12 PM
My 6 year old has a pair of Skechers charm boots and they are chunky. They don't make her look like a "hoochie". If the boots were verboten in school, I would think that someone would have said something by now. It sounds as if "lunch lady" believes that the boots are "hoochie appropriate" clothing, as do some of the people on this board. I would advise the mother to check into this, because although lunch lady may not like the boots, she should keep her opinion to herself. She is paid to serve lunch, not to serve as the school fashion runway commentator. And before I get flamed, I would like to add that most mothers would be incensed if their kids came home upset that a school employee said that they couldn't wear an article of clothing that YOU sent them to school in, and wasn't banned by school policy.

twinkiesmom
12-18-2004, 04:41 PM
And before I get flamed, I would like to add that most mothers would be incensed if their kids came home upset that a school employee said that they couldn't wear an article of clothing that YOU sent them to school in, and wasn't banned by school policy.

That's what I'm saying. I'm thinking that maybe there's more to the story as to why the lunch lady said what she did. Dd could've acted inappropriately either in line or something.

Jaidness
12-18-2004, 04:48 PM
lol at the fashion police statement, maybe the lunchlady had pms and was just having one of those days?

elizabeth2279
12-18-2004, 09:06 PM

HAHAHA I can see it now...some old lunch lady in her frumpy lunch lady uniform and hair net commenting on someone elses clothing...

flute
12-18-2004, 09:34 PM
HAHAHA I can see it now...some old lunch lady in her frumpy lunch lady uniform and hair net commenting on someone elses clothing...

actually ours wear jeans or black pants with maroon colored shirts

Hollie1974
12-18-2004, 09:50 PM
I think that the Lunch Lady did do a little over stepping. Personally I would check into it further.

Ok off to listen to Lunch Lady Land! lol

Njean31
12-19-2004, 07:27 AM
Ok off to listen to Lunch Lady Land! lol

i love that song. my very best friend is a "lunch lady" but she is not your typical lunch lady if there is such a thing. she is totally cool but i always bug her by singing :D that song around her

irrelevant0
12-19-2004, 01:04 PM
actually ours wear jeans or black pants with maroon colored shirts

my mom is a lunch lady. she is not frumpy, and neither are her co-workers. they are allowed to wear nice, solid colored tops, or tshirts with the school logo or something related to the school or lunch on them . i'm not sure about the pants, but i think they have to be white or khaki. on fridays thay can wear jeans.

justinenycole26
12-21-2004, 09:04 PM
I am going to say my peace and if it gets me banned, so be it. I am sick and freaking tired of the members here who feel the need to find some hidden meaning in every post. I gave the details. I was not avoiding telling you that my DD kicked some poor unsuspecting kid with her giant-heeled stoner boots. I was not trying to hide the fact that she was wearing the boots to conceal an Uzi. I did not "accidentally" forget to add that she was wearing a hip hugging micro mini skirt with a thong hanging out the back.
Twinkiesmom, if my DD had acted inappropriately, I would not have a vent, now would I? Do you really think I would be mad about my daughter being reprimanded for acting out in line? You're right, she was acting out, I just made up the part about the boots because I have too much time on my hands.
Irrelevant0, do you have kids? No, I didn't think so. Forgive me for not giving a crap what you think about what is appropriate for kids to wear.
Faygokraze, the skirt comes to her knee. And that would have WHAT to do with the lunch lady telling her not to wear boots?

Get over yourselves. There is not always a hidden meaning, sometimes, occasionally, people DO tell the truth! Sometimes, every once in a while, people have a legitimate vent and there is no need for the holier-than-thou amongst us to tear it apart to try to find the "real" story.

Ashlee
12-21-2004, 09:21 PM
I think what was meant was --sometimes children leave some of the finer details out...it has been known to happen. :o

gingerswit
12-21-2004, 10:25 PM
did you go to the school yet? My husband had to go today and return a coin that was given to my daughter. It probably came from a dad that served in the golf. I didn't want to keep it knowing that. I would go to the school if you haven't and raise some something!

twinkiesmom
12-22-2004, 01:14 AM
:)

that's all i gotta say . . . .

I think what was meant was --sometimes children leave some of the finer details out...it has been known to happen. :o

thank you dear. That is what i meant. I was in no way trying to get the OP on the defensive. Teaches me to keep my opinion to myself, I guess.

Steffie
12-22-2004, 01:17 AM
I would let my daughter wear them too (if I had one) I have all boys (3) -- BUT having said that at my sons school the ONLY rule in the dress code is that children have to wear athletic shoes EVERYDAY!! This is not a travesty for my sons because they would wear their tennis shoes with a TUX or a Swimming suit! LOL! But little girls like shoes almost as much as the big ones!!

I would call and ask if they have changed the dress code since it is not listed in the schools handbook and then if they said YES I would lay into them about not getting a notice, phone call, letter, or updated handbook! Hope you get it all straightened out! I know how upset kids can get when they are "fussed" at in school. My 6th grader was told his pants were violating school code because they had an extra pocket on the leg! In their handbook it said NO hammer hangers or baggy pants not that there could only be X number of pockets!! I called the principal and she said they are changing it to no cargo type pants of any kind but it would be OK to wear this year.
Sorry to hijack just wanted to help out with an example! HTH! :)

twinkiesmom
12-22-2004, 02:41 AM
there is no need for the holier-than-thou amongst us to tear it apart to try to find the "real" story.

Please do make sure u post as to what the 'real' story is after you contact the school. By that I'm meaning if it is a policy discrepancy or what. Would be kinda nice to know so no one else makes 'assumptions' and gets flamed for it.

*lilo*
12-22-2004, 08:02 AM
hrm, to me the outfit sounds cute, i can't see why someone would have an issue with it. it is possible that your daughter forgot to meantion something to you, could be something as silly as she almost slipped while wearing them and the lunch lady said it out of concern. i, myself, dont have a little girl yet, but i have nieces, and i would allow them to wear an outfit as you described. i hope you get this situation figured out asap. btw is your daughter okay? no one has asked this, and sometimes kids can get upset when they are told not to do something and dont understand why.

jedmatters
12-22-2004, 09:26 AM
Reviewing our dress code, I found the following:
SHOES:
Shoes must be appropriate for the activity (I suppose standing in line does not require a certain shoe)
Shoes must cover the entire bottom of the foot (boots so just that)
Shoes must be worn in a manner that does not hamper walking. (I assume she walked to the lunch line)
Shoes must be safe. (I guess shoes with gun holsters are out)

But my favorite item was:
Shoes will be deemed appropriate by the faculty and staff. Any concerns or questions should be brought to the campus principal who has final decision power.

So that means the lunchlady at our campuses can state a shoe is inappropriate, but if the parent disagrees, they must speak to the principal for a final ruling.
Check your student handbook, and see what the procedures are for your school. Follow them.

twinkiesmom
01-06-2005, 01:53 AM
OP - just curious if u ever found out what the big deal w/these boots are. Is it a school policy that they can't wear these boots? What did you find out?

TeamRocket
01-06-2005, 03:56 PM
If her teacher has not said anything about her boots all school year then I would assume that the lunch lady was just acting like a jerk. I would go buy her a brand new pair almost like her old ones,that way she can show them off at lunch time!!!! Is it possible this lunch lady has a child in the school who maybe is jealous of your child? I would look into it she was out of line! :D

elizabeth2279
01-06-2005, 09:52 PM
my mom is a lunch lady. she is not frumpy, and neither are her co-workers. they are allowed to wear nice, solid colored tops, or tshirts with the school logo or something related to the school or lunch on them . i'm not sure about the pants, but i think they have to be white or khaki. on fridays thay can wear jeans.

Oh Geez, I didnt say the lunch ladies were frumpy, I said their uniforms were frumpy...and I didnt mean to offend anyone...I was just remembering the lunch ladies in my school, and they were ALL OLD and they ALL wore FRUMPY white uniforms.

NiteQueen
01-06-2005, 11:18 PM
I would call the school with your concerns and then the principle can talk to the lunch lady about it.

Crueheadchick
01-07-2005, 11:53 AM
You know what is getting ridiculous about this, seeing all the dumb dress code rules that they never had before! I am only 23 so Ive only been out 5 years and I talk to people in High School now and I cant believe how strick it is. Next thing everyone will be wearing uniforms to public school. Well if I ever have kids let me tell you I will stick up for there rights to dress as an individual (and I dont mean hoochie, lol) But its just messed up. I never even knew there was rules about shoes! We could wear sandles to school if we wanted even in winter time in OHIO! I do understand some of the newer rules like no thongs hanging out and skirts and shorts must be finger tipped length. Heck we were also allowed to wear shorts in winter.
What the heck is this world coming too?
:confused: :rolleyes: :eek:

twinkiesmom
01-12-2005, 10:25 PM
so what did u find out, OP?