PDA

View Full Version : Am I the only one who dislikes this season?

buglebe
12-14-2004, 01:48 PM
This holiday season is always very hard on me. I don't know why. It makes me sad instead of happy. It makes me miss my parents and all the people who are gone. It makes me wish I could have all my small family together. Counting neices, nephews etc , there are only 22 of us. And we are all scattered. I have to work to keep my head above water for this entire season. Yes the tree is up, most of the presents are bought, but I have had to make myself go through the motions. I do try to hide my feelings and act happy. Are there any others of you who feel this way and have to try to work to stay happy? Why am I this way?

wndysfrnd
12-14-2004, 02:18 PM
You are not alone. I hate the holidays, from November 1st until around the middle of January, I am like UGHHH!!!!!! I try to put on a show for the kids, but dh knows how I really feel. This year is going to be worse, since I lost my mom a month ago.

hotdoglove
12-14-2004, 02:26 PM
My dad really hates it. He lost his mother on Christmas day, so that really makes it hard for the family. I just want to give everyone a hug that is going through the "holiday blues" ((((((((((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))))))))))

Syrinx
12-14-2004, 02:31 PM
No, you're not the only one. My reasons are different, but I can't stand this time of year. I try to not be too irritable, because that's not fair to my husband, but it's hard.

chanbe
12-14-2004, 02:34 PM
You're not alone.I grew up in an alcoholic household and the holidays just meant more drinking.Holidays were never a happy time.Now that I have my own family/household;you'd think it'd be happier,but it's not.I can't wait till it's over.

schsa
12-14-2004, 02:37 PM
I used to hate it but I have learned to do less so that I stress less. I don't do baking marathons any more. I get my shopping done as early as possible. And that's it. It makes it so much better. The less stress the happier I am.

BigLyd1
12-14-2004, 02:44 PM
We're just not in the mood for Christmas this year. We have financial problems (I know, who doesn't?) and SS just went to Kuwait. I'll be happy when it's over.

Javahead
12-14-2004, 04:52 PM
I can relate...I miss family members that are gone too. Sometimes I'll hear Christmas songs that my dad used to like and the tears just start rolling. Everyone in my immediate family were addicts--alcohol, drugs-- you name it. We were always so poor, my way of dealing with that now is to shop for an Angel Tree child every Christmas. Grandbaby (3 & 1/2 yrs old) will be here this season, so we do the holiday stuff because of her. I know when she's my age I want her to have happy memories of the holidays. I deal with it like schsa does, shop early, no bake-athons. I like to think of the other members of BBS as friends that I just haven't met in person. This season I will be thinking of all of you and hoping you are warm and safe.
(((((HUGS)))))

Blondiex46
12-14-2004, 05:07 PM
As you can see you are not alone. I also grew up in an alcoholic household. When my older kids were younger I was so depressed and felt like I destroyed their Christmas year after year. With the twins I decided not to do that. Yep the decorations are up (tree hasn't been bought yet, don't know if I have the money for it). The twins B/D was last Thursday and my other daughter's b/d is Sunday. Honestly the only thing about it all is that I get alot of days off from work, sad isn't it.

buttrfli
12-14-2004, 05:22 PM
I also can't stand Christmas season. If I didn't have kids, I wouldn't do squat.

YankeeMary
12-14-2004, 08:13 PM
I also can't stand Christmas season. If I didn't have kids, I wouldn't do squat.
Girl I know we have to be twins...from a different mother..hehe...I am a Bah Humbug...I would love to say to heck with all the hoopla and simply spend the entire day at a soup kitchen or something...

stellatj
12-15-2004, 04:07 AM
This year is so hard its almost the 1 year mark of losing Tim its also 5 years that i lost my brother on christmas day i am trying to put together christmas for my 7 year old but so far i cant. I use to love christmas now all i do is relive dec 23rd and cant get past it.

YankeeMary
12-15-2004, 05:43 AM
This year is so hard its almost the 1 year mark of losing Tim its also 5 years that i lost my brother on christmas day i am trying to put together christmas for my 7 year old but so far i cant. I use to love christmas now all i do is relive dec 23rd and cant get past it.
HUGS!!! I am so sorry. You can do it, it is so very hard, I am sure but you are a strong woman. You have my prayers.