PDA

View Full Version : How Tacky!

lpelham
12-13-2004, 02:54 PM
The Scott Peterson verdict of death was just announced. Now I don't know how I feel about that - it might have been better to have let him rot in jail. But there were men (and I am not picking on men, there may have been women too) high-fiving each other after the verdict. How can you high five someone else after someone, even someone who did such a horrible crime, is sentenced to death? I am okay with them killing him, but I am not going to rejoice in the fact. It's just tacky - now three lives will have been lost in this case.

Libby

Trishntx
12-13-2004, 03:11 PM
wow, you couldn't of said it better. Tacky, tacky, tacky
The whole courtroom should of been quiet and solemn. Any outburst or antics like that and the judge should have stepped in. I agree it wasn't right to kill those two people, but wishing someone else to die...well...doesn't make them any better than what he did. IMO

Blackberry
12-13-2004, 03:15 PM
I was really hoping that he'd just get life in prison without chance of parole. Normally I am for the death sentence in cases like this, but then I heard that if he is on death row he is seperated from the other inmates, he gets a radio in his private cell & there were a couple of other things too.

Now if he'd just have gotten life he would have been put in a shared cell & in with the entire population. And in prison they hate baby-killers. No doubt he would have gotten beaten up on a regular basis. I'd be perfectly ok with that. But now he has his own private cell & no one to bother him :mad:

Oh, and as far as high-fiving after the verdict was read........I just don't know what I'd do if I was in those people's position. Maybe I'd just cry & hug someone, maybe I'd whoop it up.....I guess the only way I'd know for sure is if I'd been through what they had been through......?

Lori63
12-13-2004, 03:19 PM
I'm upset and I can't tell you why-I don't know! I believe he did it. I do think he would have had a harder time with a life sentence, and probably end up killed.

faygokraze
12-13-2004, 03:22 PM
just my opinion -- why should tac payers pay $$ to let him sit in jail with free health care and all. But I understand where your coming from too!

Tasha405
12-13-2004, 03:42 PM
just my opinion -- why should tac payers pay $$ to let him sit in jail with free health care and all.
ITA! I guess I would have been one of the tacky ones because I was happy and gave a little cheer when I heard the verdict. :o

I know some people are againt the death penalty and thats all good. I for one was happy with the outcome of this one though. ;)

May Laci & Conner rest in peace and may her family finally feel a little justice.

wndysfrnd
12-13-2004, 03:51 PM
May Laci & Conner rest in peace and may her family finally feel a little justice.

I totally agree.

mistressB
12-13-2004, 03:58 PM
i support the dealth penalty, but not in this case. there was no solid evidence that he did anything. all circumstancial.

catssass
12-13-2004, 04:11 PM
ITA, the "high fives" are too much, this is a sad case all around....I also can't stand the people in the background on their cell phones, trying to get spotted on TV, they are forgetting that someone died.... get on TV at "happy event" not a murder trial...

firechic
12-13-2004, 04:27 PM
I guess this is one case where I would be considered tacky too. It made my day.

catdance
12-13-2004, 04:34 PM
Kinda like OJ SIMPSON..don't people have other ways to PROTEST or get EXCITED, if that was what the HIGH FIVES meant..I just heard, he got the death penalty, that opinion, how I feel, I keep for myself...

katgirl3
12-13-2004, 04:40 PM
i support the dealth penalty, but not in this case. there was no solid evidence that he did anything. all circumstancial.

I agree. I was going through the evidence at courttv.com. All seemed circumstancial. I suspect he did it. Just a gut feeling. But it doesn't seem there's anything solid to link him. I think giving him death was a mistake. JMO

YankeeMary
12-13-2004, 05:22 PM
I agree it is wrong to rejoice in anyones death, especially one that is bound for hell (IMO), regardless, his death will NOT bring Lacy or Conner back. I am against the death pentaly and I wouldn't truly want him or anyone else beat to death, but I would think solitare confinment for the rest of his days would be wonderful. I know its wrong of tax payers to have to pay to keep him in prison, but what the heck, my taxes go to pay alot of what I don't agree with. Just my opinion. I feel for the Peterson family, as well as Lacy's, I am sure Lacy's family has mixed feelings over it. At first I am sure they were thrilled, but it will eventually dawn on them that Lacy and COnner won't be back, then possibly, they won't be so excited over his death. Who knows? Regardless, hard to cheer over a human life being taken, deserved or not.

DAVESBABYDOLL
12-13-2004, 05:38 PM
As for the high fives...NO ONE on this board or anywhere else for that fact,can say what is right,wrong or tacky in a situation as this.I would only know if it were me sitting in the front row of a court room listening to a jury tell me that the killer of my child,will die.Would I high five,I don't know,would I shout and cry,I don't know,would I sit in silence,I don't know.And neither do you until it happens to you.(God forbid it never does)

JMO *refer to siggy

lpelham
12-13-2004, 05:39 PM
I guess this is one case where I would be considered tacky too. It made my day.

No, to be happy at home is one thing, but to be in a crowd where you know it is going to be broadcast on tv - that is what I am talking about. If it had even been Laci's family, I might have understood, but I am assuming these are people who didn't even know Laci.

I think he got what he deserved (I think he did it), but it doesn't make me want to do a happy dance. Plus, his family doesn't need to see crap like that. They seem normal enough - I don't know what happened to him!

Libby

MamaFairal
12-13-2004, 05:48 PM
just my opinion -- why should tac payers pay $$ to let him sit in jail with free health care and all.

JMO~ because i know and correspond with someone currently on Death Row in San Quentin Calif........the health care aint all tht great :(

* i am sad for both families involved for the loved ones they have lost...including Scott Peterson.

BigLyd1
12-13-2004, 07:02 PM
I felt he got what he deserved. But I can also understand what people are saying about the life imprisonment. He would have had to suffer more there. He'll probably be around for at least another 20 years anyhow. They were talking about having over 600 on death row in California.

Tasha405
12-13-2004, 07:07 PM
But this is just what the jury recommended though... right? It doesn't mean that its exactly what he will get. Can't the judge rule against it?

Sorry if this is a little off topic, I was just wondering how all of that works.

catssass
12-13-2004, 07:50 PM
But this is just what the jury recommended though... right? It doesn't mean that its exactly what he will get. Can't the judge rule against it?

Sorry if this is a little off topic, I was just wondering how all of that works.

Yes, the jury had to choose between death and life with no parole, the judge CAN choose to give him life without parole but it happens so rarely that a judge will go against a jury, that they figure the decision will stand...

Angelseyes28
12-13-2004, 08:32 PM
Well I am definately one of the tacky ones then b/c I was jumping for joy when I heard and would have done the same thing if I had been in the crowd outside the courthouse.

treasurymae
12-13-2004, 08:35 PM
i dont really know how i feel about him getting the death penalty. I feel he is guilty and should be punished but i mean really how long is it gonna take for him to be put to death??? It takes so long and like somone said there are so many people on death row, what if it takes until hes 60. I mean our tax dollars are gonna go to him weather he's on death row or not. A part of me wants him to pay every day for what he did to his wife and unborn child, then another part realizes he will really pay onces his life is over . Its just sad all the way around. As for the high fives. I dont know if it was tacky or not .. like others have said if in the same situation i might have done the same thing . I just dont know.

LuvBigRip
12-13-2004, 08:46 PM
First, since I have not been through what the families of the people involved of such an awful tragedy are going through, I would not condemn them for either celebrating, or mourning depending on the side they are on. That being said, I find it a little disconcerting that people who are not personally involved in the anguish would celebrate the condemnation of anyones life. While I support the death penalty, I don't think I could celebrate it with a high five. But that is just me.

JMO~ because i know and correspond with someone currently on Death Row in San Quentin Calif........the health care aint all tht great :(

* i am sad for both families involved for the loved ones they have lost...including Scott Peterson.
I know that you also correspond with soldiers, and for that I commend you, but may I ask how you can write to someone on death row? I know that there are probably many other people more deserving of a kind letter. JMHO. Oh, and as far as I am concerned any healthcare an inmate receives is better than the thousands of decent hardworking people who have no insurance at all. Personally, I think the money could be better spent on them. But, we wouldn't want to make life hard for rapists and murderers now would we. I guess I don't know how anyone could (or would) get involved with someone on death row, unless they were family. Sorry. I got off topic. :o

nanajoanie
12-13-2004, 08:46 PM
I think the death penalty is just for him. I think he's guilty as sin. I don't want my tax dollars paying for him for room & board, up to date medical, a library where he can become his own lawyer or write books and make money on "his" story, exercise in gyms, clothing, etc. I also think the media needs to butt out of these sensational court scenes and quit publicizing all this stuff. It goes into public record, read it in the newspapers. But on TV everyone wants to "be a star" for 10 seconds. Bullhonkey!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MnMLover
12-13-2004, 08:53 PM
I for one am satisfied that he got the dealth penalty.It's just my opinion but I think based on the fact that he murdered his unborn child that would have been able to survive outside the womb is enough.A child that could be a great many things that could potentially change the world hopefully for the good.I don't think he deserves to be spared when he didn't show mercy to the one he stood and took vows with,then made a child,that he decided was disposable when he decided yet again that this wasn't the life he wanted.I don't think my judgement matters as much as his Creators will.He'll get what he deserves after his sentence is carried out.I agree that they shouldn't have acted so immature and hateful.Yes I agree that he should be put to death but have the decency to not make his family and supporters (that do not deserve to hurt) see it. Like I said this is only my opinion.

catssass
12-13-2004, 09:26 PM
They were just talking on CNN, that Scott is #642 on death row, and that they are executing about one inmate a year, so its extremely likely that he will die of old age...

DAVESBABYDOLL
12-14-2004, 04:17 AM
Well I am definately one of the tacky ones then b/c I was jumping for joy when I heard and would have done the same thing if I had been in the crowd outside the courthouse.

*high fives angelseyes

I was EXTREMELY happy he will sit in jail for EVER! Being on death row or otherwise.

No more being Mr.Romeo for him..now he'll be the MRS.

jedmatters
12-14-2004, 05:31 AM
First, the federal government has ruled that no one convicted of a crime may make money on the story of the crime, unles the convictionis overturned.
So Mr. Peterson will not make money by writing a book or anything.

Second, MamaFairal, I think oit is the right thing to communicate with people in prison. They need to vent and let people know what is going on. If the system is mistreating them, someone needs to be able to get that information out.
They do have rights, and if you want someone convicted, then you (as a taxpayer) must support that decision. The system says they deserve (and they are humans afterall) humane treatment. Therefore we must support the people we have in prisons.