PDA

View Full Version : Black Friday Horror Stories - 2004

Linus1223
11-25-2004, 05:42 PM
Just thought I'd make a thread for all of us to post in when we get back tommorow - because I know that most of us will have at least one story to share.

Happy shopping tommorow, ladies! :D :D :D :D

iluvmybaby
11-25-2004, 06:14 PM
I am skipping black friday this year, it isnt worth it for me, I dont have any large purchases so $ wise it doesnt save me THAT much, last year was a nightmare. Have fun and be safe everyone!

mizzy62
11-25-2004, 10:31 PM
:mad: Grrr..already have a horror story, it ain't even midnight yet here, and Walmart.com is already sold out of Black Friday stuff...sigh.. :(

Linus1223
11-26-2004, 06:40 AM
It's 8:40 AM...Came home for breakfast and now I'm going back out for Round Two...

Bick'sMom
11-26-2004, 07:39 AM
After my first black friday 3 years ago I swore I would never go again...but of course I can't resist a good sale. I braved it again this year! I got most of the things I wanted, even a wake up call from Ice T...LOL. Of course there were the usual pushy people and cranky people but overall it was pretty good. I think I may go out again here in a while just to see what else I can find.

Hope everyone had a good shopping day.

Tisky67
11-26-2004, 07:46 AM
Did not go out but my aunt braved Khols to get some bath sets that they always mark 1/2 off, well she just called me yelling because she stopped with her cart to look at some Tshirts & someone stole her cart !!!! She had to go back & get everything all over again.

YNKYH8R
11-26-2004, 09:11 AM
See...this is why Christmas should a week long holiday, not a day. Becuase people always feel pressured or rushed to get the right thing at the right time. It would just make things easier. IMO.

deja
11-26-2004, 09:59 AM
yeah kohls was a mess. there was a line that wrapped all the way around the store, browsing was nearly impossible as all the isles were taken up by people standing in line. customer service wouldn't check out items and jewelery wouldn't check you out unless you were getting a jewelery item. i was there with a friend so i had to wait around in line with her. it was absolute chaos. i didn't enjoy myself at all. then i went to the mall which wasn't that bad. i bought a nice soft robe, 2 pairs of suade gloves, and a down coat for $47. not too bad. that's all i wanted to get anyway really.

justme23
11-26-2004, 11:14 AM
I don't have any horror stories... I stayed in the car for Best Buy and Wal-Mart... Hubby came out cussin from BB (he said the checkout line was all the way to the back of the store and the staff was going just as slow as possible... they were probably instructed to do so to get all of us cheapos to buy something big we saw on the way out)... and he was only in wally for about 10 minutes before he said 'forget it'... we were at CompUSA at 530 am tho to get the 60gig hdds... they were out, so they sold the 80gigs for the same price... 160 gigs of hdd space for 60 bucks and NO rebates... then off staples for some flash drives... then to Circuit City for some 4.99 movies (that wal-mart had for 3.88, but I woulda punched somebody if I went in there)... then to Linens N Things for some sheets (ooohh, I am gonna put those on just as soon as hubby leaves for work in a few... can't wait, never had high thread count sheets before!)... then he went to BB and wally and we came home and went to bed... we made a decent haul this year!

Amyjean
11-26-2004, 11:18 AM
yeah kohls was a mess.

It was a mess on-line too. I decided not to venture out on Black Friday so I did some on-line shopping. After three hours of shopping on Kohls.com, the site went down. During these three hours my shopping bag emptied itself three times so I reentered the items each time. Just as I was finalizing payment the site became unavailable.

YYounghouse
11-26-2004, 12:01 PM
it was wierd this year because JC Penny opened before Wal-Mart. So, I skipped Wal Mart all together.
The snow globes seem smaller than last year- but they are cute.
we have a store named Kerr's that handed out these nice snowgal snowmen- they were about 18 inches tall and they came in a gift bag and also had some coupons, that was the best store that I went to.
crowds were big- but nobody was rude

belcherpi
11-26-2004, 12:53 PM
Yeah we went to Kmart to. We went to look at the DVD player and the manager told us they only had 18. I couldn't believe they only had 18 for this big of a sale. :mad: I think some of the limited items were listed mainly to lure people into the store.

deja
11-26-2004, 02:57 PM
i just wouldn't have set foot in kmart anyway. i hate that store. one day i was so frustrated with the crummy service that i walked out, leaving my full shopping cart behind, and never looked back.

iluvmybaby
11-26-2004, 04:14 PM
Did any of you shop at SEARS? Well guess what you were shopping @ Kmart, they just purchased the SEARS stores a couple of weeks ago

http://quote.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=10000006&sid=a5E.HNmQSBgs&refer=home

:( I hate Kmart but used to love SEARS

GaPeachy
11-26-2004, 04:29 PM
My mom works there(kmart),let me just say that they are cutting the crap outta employees hours.My mother who works in the office she counts the money ect all the filing work and so on.WELL now her job duties also include stock girl,freight worker,jewelery worker,so its not entirely the employees fault id lay the blame on the corp. as awhole.

queenangie
11-26-2004, 05:11 PM
It was just after 5 AM and I made it to Shopko in the dark (20 minute drive)
and was very pleased to see that Panera Bread was offering free
coffee, hot cocoa, and 1/2 pieces of yummy danish samples at the entrance.
Very friendly folks too, I might add.

I grab my coffee, 1/2 danish, and a shopping cart w/ purse and shopping list in hand.
I head to the jewelry counter and locate a free saleslady.
I tell her that I was X, X, and Z and she retrieves them
for me and is ready to ring them up.
The first item should be $19.99 is over $30....
next item is supposed to be $50 and rings up at $120...
and so on.

I just read her my list from JCPenney's jewelry....
not Shopko! LOL!

She was very nice and I did not purchase jewelry there.
I did buy from my Shopko list when I had another couple
sips of coffee.

I did ask....no price changes, even with the ads from the other stores.

Rachepi2
11-26-2004, 05:29 PM
Well I braved Sears this morning. A very long line here in Riverside, wrapped around the building. Reward cards were gone in seconds. Once the doors opened, people were literally running in Sears to get down stairs to the electronics department. My sister and I were pushed, shoved, elbowed, and stepped on while in pursuit of my one item. I was there to get the Kenmore Vaccum Cleaner on sale for 29.95 reg. 79.95, which I got, so very happy now. But at no point was I told that you had to purchase your items from the department they came from. So I had to haul that thing back downstairs,after weaving my way thru the crowd once already, knocking a few people in the head on the way (payback's a b****). Have never seen so many rude people in my life. :eek: It's just not that serious people, really.

purplerose23
11-26-2004, 06:23 PM
I bypassed shopping black friday, however, I got to deal with my 6'8" (big baby) this morning, lol. He woke up quite grumpy and had a migraine! I am now working and get out at 11pm eastern, not to mention at an AIRLINE Company! Baggage, Delays and Weather....Oh my! Hows that for a "black friday"?? ;)

starduster31
11-26-2004, 06:59 PM
i did not go, either, got the flu (yuck!!!) but i saw on y local news at 6 that in Arkansas, at a toysrus store, there was basically a brawl when they opened the doors. people were getting cussed out, and one lady tried to cut in line, and another lady grabbed her cart and slung it across the parking lot !!!!!!!!! its not worth it to me, to save just a couple of bucks.

freebielover
11-26-2004, 08:31 PM
I had to work today, I work part time merchandising magazines and I had to work at a Walmart Super Center today! My boss really wasn't thinking. Well I have to try to navigate through the ELECTRONICS section to get to the front of the store with a cart FULL of magazines. I had so many rude people. They would stop and not let me by and one wonderful woman was coming down the aisle with those stupid HUGE carts with the car on the end for the kids (no kids IN the darn thing!), and we both couldn't fit so she told me to move. Yeah right lady I weigh a whole 90 pounds and I can barely PUSH the cart nevermind turn it into an aisle, so I rammed her cart! She flipped out and started yelling and I just walked right by. Not my typical personality but you know! It was just incredible, putting magazines out and I had people SCREAMING at me because they thought I was cutting in line, I told so many people off today I swear. Oh well because I got in there early and I got to grab all of the 6AM-11PM sales and put them in the back room and laugh at the mean people who were trying to get one. Sorry I had a REALLY rough day. I swear there isn't a polite person left in MA, bunch of animals!

deja
11-26-2004, 08:35 PM
one of the employees at walmart said that he had to break up 18 fights today. one of them involved 2 80 year old women. they were literally rolling around on the ground.

freebielover
11-26-2004, 08:38 PM
Lol, I believe it, on the news this morning, they were talking about how people had lined up at a Walmart in my area at ONE in the morning waiting for them to open at FIVE! That must have been a cold wait!

silvermist
11-26-2004, 09:49 PM
I work at walmart and our supercenter was DEAD. deader than any days since working there 3 months? Last year they said it was hell but this year was below average? and manager seemed mad of course cuz of tons of overtime employees he had to send home.

callsheb
11-26-2004, 09:59 PM
i shopped at sears and jc pennys today i got the digital camera for 49.99 wanted the dvd player for 19.99 but the checkout person kept talking with someone and made me miss getting it they sold out of it in no time but the camera is the main reason i went now i am finished except for dh and then i will be done.

FreebieCyn
11-27-2004, 06:41 AM
I got to Wal Mart at 5:45 thinking I was going to have to wait in line till they opened at 6:00 but the store was already opened...By the time it took me to get in the store from the car, EVERY register was lined up with people and shopping carts full...I asked one of the Wal Mart ladies there what was going on, and she said that since last year there was alot of shoving and pushing going on when the doors opened the manager decided to open the doors at 5 so this wouldn't happen...They did make everyone wait in the lines until 6:00 to check out as no sales before 6:00....I was worried that they wouldn't have anything left that I wanted as the store parking lot was FULL and we are talking about a SUPER WAL MART here.....lol They did have everything though with tons of extra's...No pushing and shoving and it was an overall nice day....

Have to add, that it was 76 degrees here yesterday so PERFECT shopping weather....

Hugs,
Cyn

taz69
11-27-2004, 07:43 AM
Not a horror story - just fun! Hubby had the day off (first in a month besides Thanksgiving) and he decided to Brave the sales for the first time. We went to wal-mart, he took one look and backed out of the store/lol. We drove to our other wal-mart (there are 2 - about 30 miles apart) and it was nearly empty! Got everything we wanted - too lucky! Gonna take him every year I think! We then went to sally's beauty supply and got bleach - hubby is a big man, and he grows his beard for about 4 months before Christmas - he bleaches hair, beard, eyebrows, and looks like Santa Claus!!!!! He loves going to the grocery store with me cause the kids follow him around/lol. Was a great day and way to roll into the Christmas season! Anyone want to see the pic, pm me!
(And happy holidays to all my BBS friends who helped so much when we were worried about my son - and to all the BBS friends I haven't met yet!)

katkat777
11-27-2004, 09:31 AM
No horror stories just one problem w/KMART. I went there to get the texas hold em' poker set. Of course all sold out! They did substitute it for a different texas hold em' set. I go to the check out and they have only 3 registers open! On the busiest day of the year and only 3 registers open. It took me longer to get through that line then it did for me to get through the store. They ring up the set and it was of course the wrong price

It seems to me that Kmart was the problem child this year.

freeplease
11-27-2004, 05:55 PM
DH got up at the crack of dawn to buy a digital camera at American Appliance. Of course, they ran out. But they were nice enough to take his money :rolleyes: , as they said the camera would be in by the end of the week-at the latest. The regional manager stated that it could be in as early as today, as they had a truck coming in last night. Well, we went back tonight to see if it had made it on the truck. Funny thing, they checked the computer, and it said the camera wouldn't be in until after JANUARY 1. The store manager then checked, and said it might not be in until after the 15th of January.

Of course, DH pitched a huge fit. The manager was very indifferent to the whole situation. He offered a different brand (A bad brand) for the same price. Nope. No way. I will never own a HP camera. The ad was for a Sony.
We ended up just getting our money refunded. But where's that two and a half hours of his life back? And it's not like we could get another camera at a similar price. Those black Friday specials are over.
American Appliance will never see a nickel of my money again. Thanks for the vent. Please drive thru... ;)

kriskay
11-27-2004, 09:23 PM
I didn't get to go, I was sick. Food poisoning, stomach virus or something of the sort. : ( I wanted to go to Walmart and get the 25 dollar bikes for my daughter and my son. I went today and they were all gone. But they did have a lot of the DVD players, tv's and computers left for the people that missed them.

Mystic32
11-27-2004, 09:47 PM
No horror story,just a complaint. Went to Sears. Even tho I was up at 4:30am didn`t leave my house til it got a little lighter out. In any event, I get to sears @ 6:16. Place is jam packed. no carts left. No nice people. nothing. I find out that hte TV I`M there to buy is already gone. People have been lined up since 3AM & they only had 15 TV`s in stock. Isn`t that nice?

Urban Cowgirl
11-27-2004, 10:29 PM
Shopping fo rme went pretty good except I encountered one jerk at walmart. First he rammed his cart into an older lady and a few minutes later he rammed it into the back of my heels. I got nasty real quick and told him he better slow down and watch what he is doing. He had the nerve to tell me. " Chill Out whats your hurry?" My hurry???? Jackass your the one plowing everyone down!!! Geesh. he runs me over from behind, yet I'm the one rushing?? Explain this to me.

Urban Cowgirl
11-27-2004, 10:37 PM
Did not go out but my aunt braved Khols to get some bath sets that they always mark 1/2 off, well she just called me yelling because she stopped with her cart to look at some Tshirts & someone stole her cart !!!! She had to go back & get everything all over again.

Let's hope it was a mistake!!! I did that at a grocery store once. Looked down and I see stuff that wasn't mine. So I had to track down the person with my cart.....she had not realized it either. Would have really stunk if we had both got all the way home with groceries we did not need!!!! LOL