PDA

View Full Version : gift suggestions pls- parents of 9yr old girls?

Surfergal
11-23-2004, 06:30 PM
I sponsor a 9yr old girl living in a very economically deprived area. She attends the organizations boarding school during the school year and lives with a grandparent in the summer and holidays. I need gift suggestions that are practical for her. Because I know she has a Barbie doll, I got a couple of doll outfits. Also a yoyo &how to do yoyo trick book. I am looking for a girls paperback and a game or a toy. Something small and ship-able /portable. I would like it to be usable with little adult setup or help, and long lasting if possible. No kids in the family now, just young adults and infants, so I am having trouble picking out what she might like. thinking maybe the tamagutchi pet if it is easy for kids to use . Suggestions please! thanks.

PS If anyone is interested - great gift for someone who is hard to buy for
http://www.children-inc.org/

irrelevant0
11-23-2004, 06:34 PM
i think she would like a tamagutchi pet like you mentioned. as for books, when i was that age i read the baby sitters club, goosebumps, and sweet valley high. just an idea. :o

tracyb
11-23-2004, 06:46 PM
my 8 yr old daughter loves those magetic things that you can build with.so it might be a good gift for her.they might have those $20 scooters again at biglots mine loved hers alot she played with that so much she wore the barrings out...best 20 bucks i spent

Surfergal
11-23-2004, 07:24 PM
my 8 yr old daughter loves those magetic things that you can build with.so it might be a good gift for her.they might have those $20 scooters again at biglots mine loved hers alot she played with that so much she wore the barrings out...best 20 bucks i spent

thanks all = I am thinking the scooter may not be too practical to ship or store and use at school, so if anyone can better define the "magetic things that you can build with" so I could look them up I would appreciate it. It may be a good addition to the pkg.

I will check out baby sitters club and sweet valley books. I have heard about those being good. Think I will hold off on the scary books, until I know her better. Her mom just died last year so I worry she probably gets enough nitemares. This is my second child with this organization over the last 15 years. They do great work.

tracyb
11-23-2004, 07:31 PM
oops sorry abuoth not paying attention about you shipping and sstoring sorry i cant tink of the name the wrappers are off of these here..kmart walmart toy stores all sell them see if you can find anything on Magnetix

catssass
11-23-2004, 08:02 PM
If she likes Barbies, she will love anything "Bratz", they have the dolls, accessories, pillows, books, etc. also hot right now is the "Plug & Play" video game system(you just plug into any TV), it has 5 games on it like Ms. Pac Man(non-violent), its easy to use and is about $15

Jolie Rouge
11-23-2004, 09:29 PM
... see if you can find anything on Magnetix

http://i.walmart.com/i/p/00/07/23/48/02/0007234802812_215X215.jpg

"Feel the power of magnetism! This Magnetix Magnetic 70-piece building set is not just a fun building and creations set, it helps kids learn mathematical shapes and physics and chemistry models. With 70 rods primary colored rods and balls, kids can create more than 500 designs!"

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?product_id=2697300&sourceid=1500000000000000629120

This is just one "kit" there are several. My kids love this !

justinenycole26
11-23-2004, 10:08 PM
I have a 9 year old. She reads the Goosebumps books, but I agree about getting to know her better first.
How about a mice bathrobe and slippers?
Hair accessories are always good.
My DD got the Little House serise of books last year. It is by far her favorite, even though she has the Babysitters Club and several other series.
A handheld Scrabble or Boggle game would help with spelling skills.

Surfergal
11-24-2004, 04:09 AM
I have a 9 year old. She reads the Goosebumps books, but I agree about getting to know her better first.
How about a mice bathrobe and slippers?
Hair accessories are always good.
My DD got the Little House serise of books last year. It is by far her favorite, even though she has the Babysitters Club and several other series.
A handheld Scrabble or Boggle game would help with spelling skills.

thanks- I add money for clothes as I do not know her sizes-love the idea of the hand held game that helps her learn. thanks

wubbywa
11-24-2004, 04:37 AM
Little House on the Prarie is good or what about the box car children. Boy I loved those books.

sweetcandy
11-24-2004, 05:59 AM
My neice (shes 8 years old) loves anything Lisa Frank...stickers, stationary, pencils, pens...I liked anything Lisa Frank when I was a kid too lol :)

joesbaby
11-24-2004, 07:21 AM
my 8yo loves the mary kate and ashly dolls, books and veidos. but she also loves makeup..like glittery lip gloss, or the little perfumes that are like chap stick size. or even the light fingernail polish. she likes gel pens, and paper. plus shes really into jewlery.

hth
ericka

Eyore
11-24-2004, 07:47 AM
No idea for toys, but how about the Nancy Drew Mystery books. Not sure what the age is for them but I remember reading them in 5th grade.

ladybugbhb
11-24-2004, 01:15 PM
what about a very pretty journal for her to write down her thoughts? my girls both have a journal. though the 7 yr old really just draws and writes little in hers,lol.