PDA

View Full Version : Enough already!!!!!!!

kaysee
11-21-2004, 10:56 PM
Im so tried of hearing about poor poor ron artest

hes lucky im not the commisioner, i would have thrown his dumb butt out of the league completely!!!!!!!!!!

Get over with it, deal with it, you did it to yourself now go on with your life already

Chiizii
11-22-2004, 08:21 AM
There is not one single person in my area that is feeling sorry for Artest or the other players who were involved in the mêlée.
All the chatter around here is that Artest should be banned from the NBA completely. Criticism is worse for the fans, they are being verbally cut to shreds about lack of control and their stupidity over a game that was 45 seconds from the completion. Many have mentioned that the fans involved should be banned from attending games in that arena and slapped with one healthy fine with hundreds of thousands of hours of community service.

Those men do not even understand how lucky they are that no one was seriously injured.

With this mêlée and the brawl during the South Carolina vs. Clemson college game I have finally been convinced that there are a certain section of our society that have made a choice not to be civil to anyone that doesn't see things exactly as they do...and when that happens, their will use physical/verbal/props/and lawsuits to try and force anyone who disagrees with them in order to excuse their unsavory behavior.

I am off to try to hang on to the last threads of my hope that because the media focus is on this terrible behavior that there are truly good and decent acting humans left in this society and that soon more attention will be focused on them and their decent actions and attitudes.

YNKYH8R
11-22-2004, 08:41 AM
LOL! I start a thread about the subject. Chiizii puts a link into it to take you here. :D
I am glad he got what he got, I'm not sorry. I feel bad for the fans though, next time keep your drink in your cup. Think of it like this, would you throw a drink at a boxer in a boxing ring? No. I would want a 6 foot black man who weighs twice my weigh chasing me either. I think it is a fan/player no go, what I mean is both parties were wrong. If the player get into a fight on the court, whatever. But as a spectator, keep it to yourself. Looka t what happened to that guy who grabbed the ball at the Cubs/Marlins game last year, he almost got beat...hard! Fans are there to enjoy the game, not participate. And the players are their to play, not beat each other up. :)

Chiizii
11-22-2004, 12:15 PM
*BLUSH*

And to read an article that YNKYH8R put up for our reading enjoyment go HERE! (http://www.bigbigforums.com/showthread.php3?t=445256)

hehehe... I didn't see your thread until after I posted in the other thread.

I totally agree with YNKYH8R! Fans are there to watch the players and never the two should met with fists or words flying!

YNKYH8R
11-23-2004, 07:45 AM
Did anyone see the interview this morning with Ron? He has got to be the most ridiculous person in Basketball. He can't interview and he promoted his CD.

schsa
11-23-2004, 11:51 AM
Poor Ron, he just lost about $10 million and he is going to have to change his lifestyle for a while.

As for Carolina/Clemson, they should have expelled every player involved and stopped the football season for both teams for the rest of the year. Instead, they won't be able to participate in bowl games. Like those guys really care.

YNKYH8R
11-23-2004, 11:56 AM
Ron makes 4.9 million a year. Apples and oranges...
And I would imagine that these guys really want to be in the Bowl games regardless, no one joins a college sport without dreams of the championship and possibly going pro. Just like if a professional team was denied going to a the championship of their respective sport. But I agree with the punishment.

YNKYH8R
11-26-2004, 01:17 PM
Hip-hop culture is part of NBA's bad rap
Booting Artest won't solve big gap between players, fans

COMMENTARY
By Michael Wilbon
Columnist
The Washington Post
Updated: 2:04 p.m. ET Nov. 26, 2004

Not everything that ails the NBA is solved by the rest-of-the-season suspension of the Indiana Pacers' Ron Artest. It would be irresponsible to suggest anybody should have foreseen a brawl coming. But there have been signs of an increasing disconnect between people who identify themselves as basketball fans and the players they pay to see perform. Ticket holders and fans pay more than ever to see professional basketball, yet it seems they identify less than ever with the players. Some of that backlash was obvious this summer when a U.S. Olympic team of high-profile NBA players was ridiculed, at home and overseas, as pampered and spoiled before the competition had started.

Even the players' union chief, Billy Hunter, said on ABC's "Nightline" this week that players have become less accessible than ever. Older NBA players increasingly indicate they'd like to see an age limit adopted in the effort to keep out kids who clearly haven't served an apprenticeship.

And not all the league's problems can be attributed to the players. League and club executives decided to marry the NBA to hip-hop, and clearly didn't know what they were getting into. As my friend Brian Burwell wrote in Tuesday's St. Louis Post-Dispatch, NBA marketing people "thought they were getting Will Smith and LL Cool J. But now they've discovered the dark side of hip-hop has also infiltrated their game, with its 'bling-bling' ostentation, its unrepentant I-gotta-get-paid ruthlessness, its unregulated culture of posses, and the constant underlying threat of violence."

The marketing folks might not have realized that if you welcome in the mainstream group OutKast, you might also have to take the decidedly vulgar Young Buck. You welcome in the music, you also get the misogyny and other themes of thug life that are admittedly the prerequisite values of the hip-hop culture.

And all this is relevant because this is where NBA players live. It's not a lifestyle they've adopted, it's a life most of them -- black and white -- have lived their entire adult lives. It's a life that boasts incessantly about, "my drink," "my smoke," "my women," and "my rides." And it is a life based on getting "respect" at any cost, including going into the stands and administering a beat-down if somebody "disrespects you."

The point here is not that I think hip-hop is bad; some Eminem or Snoop Dogg CD is constantly playing in my car. The point is NBA folks probably didn't know what they were getting into, how much hip-hop's street code might appeal to the players, and how much the league's very mainstream ticket buyers and sponsors might be resentful of a subculture they don't understand or distrust, even if their white, suburban, well-to-do children inhabit the same subculture. And that doesn't even address the notion that basketball, a decidedly team sport, doesn't exactly work with the theme of "my, my, my."

And that's just one element. Three years ago, while working with Charles Barkley on his book, "I May Be Wrong but I Doubt It," Barkley talked about how unfair it is for fans of the worst teams in the league, like the Bulls, Wizards and Clippers, to have to pay full price for tickets to watch bad teams featuring players straight out of high school. "How can it be fair," Barkley said, "to ask fans of a team that already stinks to pay full price for a seat, and then be told to 'be patient' while a 19-year-old kid learns how to be a professional? Ticket buyers don't get to say, 'I'll pay you full price in four years when Kwame Brown or Eddie Curry is ready to play.' The fans have every right to resent that."

And increasingly, they do. Antonio Davis, now playing for the Bulls and a players' union vice president, told reporters in Los Angeles this week he is worried that the league is overrun with unprepared young players. "I think that's what our image has become: a bunch of young guys who are really not understanding what it is to play in the NBA, what it means to put that uniform on, what it means to be in front of thousands and thousands of people who love what you do, what it means to be making a living playing the game of basketball. They're not thinking about that," Davis said. "As vice president of the union, I'm trying to get them to understand the business of basketball, why it's so important for us to have a good, clean image, why it's so important for us to connect with the fans and enjoy what they do and have some passion . . . I give them something to read about the union, about BRI, escrow . . . they look at me like, 'I'm sleepy.' "

How can anybody hear Davis's words and not think the NBA desperately needs the kind of eligibility restriction the NFL has? It doesn't matter that a specific player might have gone to college for a year or two, or that somebody in big trouble might be a college graduate. What Davis sees is a league going hard in the wrong direction, a league having fewer people worthy of being called professionals with every passing year, and another draft class eight players deep in high school kids.

It's those areas, much more than race, that are causing the divide between fans and players. The previous generation of stars was 70 percent black. Okay, there was Larry Bird, Kevin McHale, John Stockton and Chris Mullin, then just about every other star from Julius Erving to Magic to Michael Jordan to Grant Hill to Shaq has been black. And they've been embraced by white sponsors and ticket holders.

What I hear now, increasingly, is tolerance for the game, particularly in black America where basketball is the most beloved industry going, but a wariness of many of the players. Just last week, the league told Vince Carter he couldn't wear headphones during warmups. The inference from fans is that Carter would like to, if allowed, block them out right up until the opening tip-off. The night after the brawl in Detroit, the Rockets' Maurice Taylor conducted an interview and wouldn't even take off his headphones. The message, intended or not, is that the moment he was done talking he didn't want to be bothered. This came two weeks after Latrell Sprewell indicated he would need more than $10 million a year to feed his family. And of course, Artest wanted time off during the season to promote his girl group's new CD.

Fans, for their $85 tickets, would like to know the players are at least interested in being there, interested in playing, interested now and then in engaging the people who make it possible for them to bling-bling through life. The suspension of Artest and the other Pacers and Pistons doesn't address the disinterest, lack of professionalism and preoccupation with thug life a lot of mainstream patrons perceive, which means the NBA's work has only just begun.

TawdryRose
11-27-2004, 10:51 PM
The players behaved unprofessional and the fans behaved unforgivable.

No excuses for ANY of them.