PDA

View Full Version : Town Upset By Café With a Vulgar Name

Jolie Rouge
11-19-2004, 09:26 PM
It's called the Bad "donkey" coffee shop, and the fact that it's a gourmet coffee franchise with more than 45 stores nationwide doesn't make it any easier for the good people of Antioch, Illinois. They don't like the name one bit.

The Associated Press reports that the Antioch town board passed a resolution this week letting the new owners know exactly how they feel. The official resolution calls the shop's name "repugnant" and "utterly vulgar." But they know they can't do a thing to stop the café from opening.

Meanwhile, officials with the 15-year-old Bad "donkey" Coffee Company of Hawaii Inc., which is headquartered in Salt Lake City, Utah, insist the name of their franchise is innocent and not at all what people might think. They told AP that "Bad "donkey" honors the donkeys that once hauled coffee beans on the mountainsides of Kona, Hawaii.

According to the company's Web site, this is the legend of the Bad "donkey" :
"The native people of Kona, Hawaii, remember the days of the 'Bad "donkey" Ones.' The bellows of the donkeys could be heard echoing through the mountains as they hauled the heavy loads of coffee up and down the mountainside. In honor of these hard working donkeys, we named our coffee company. The legend of the Kona Nightingale lives on right here at The Bad "donkey" Coffee Company."

Do you think the name of the Bad "donkey" Coffee Company is offensive, especially considering the legend of how they got their name? Would you want this café in your town?

{{{ BTW - it isn't called the "Bad "donkey" Coffee Company; it is a three letter word for a burro that the profanity filters prohibit... }}}

ahippiechic
11-19-2004, 09:37 PM
Who CARES -- people need to lighten up

nanajoanie
11-19-2004, 09:42 PM
Sounds like it would appeal to the college crowd in a college town. Can't think of anyplace else it would be appropiate but I thinks it's kinda cool :D

1tiredmom
11-19-2004, 09:42 PM
depends i guess where you live in new orleans nobody would probably blink an eye at it especially in the french quarter or metairie-wher i live now (poplarville, mississipi) heaven help us---

Eyore
11-19-2004, 09:44 PM
Don't sound bad to me, I don't see anything wrong with it. It could be called Bad A-- Coffee Shop that for sure would give them something to complain about.

fatesfaery
11-19-2004, 09:49 PM
I think people definitely need to lighten up. All the name made me thing of was poor Juan Valdez struggling with a foul tempered donkey.

Jolie Rouge
11-19-2004, 10:12 PM
Don't sound bad to me, I don't see anything wrong with it. It could be called Bad A-- Coffee Shop that for sure would give them something to complain about.

LOL -- it is the "Bad *** Coffee Company" -- hence the "note" at the bottom of the OP :D

suziebee20
11-19-2004, 10:13 PM
I get extra credit in my Spanish class for going to the... HOT MONKEY LOVE CAFE! :EEK:

Jolie Rouge
11-19-2004, 10:16 PM
Suzi -- do you have to bring back proof ?? :D

hdlzx2
11-19-2004, 10:18 PM
We had one...they lasted for about 5 years.....

fatesfaery
11-19-2004, 10:23 PM
LOL -- it is the "Bad *** Coffee Company" -- hence the "note" at the bottom of the OP :D

LOL...I feel like a total doofus!
Not sure how I'd feel about seeing that all the time, but I know I wouldn't have liked it when my kids were young.

captorquewrench
11-19-2004, 10:32 PM
too many coffee shhops. we could reduce the number of starbucks by half or more and still have too many.

Eyore
11-19-2004, 10:33 PM

Opps, I missed that detail. I thought it was donkey. Dah :o

roseanntx
11-19-2004, 10:37 PM
ROFL
I voted "YES-it appeals to my sense of humor"

Also agree with "Who CARES-people need to lighten up.

Truthfully, I think that's a BAD--- name!!!

suziebee20
11-19-2004, 11:04 PM
Suzi -- do you have to bring back proof ?? :D

LOL, we are supposed to go and then write 5 sentences about what we saw. :eek: It's some kind of club with something hispanic going on tomorrow.
She said she's going to be there to make sure we go because we were all talking about writing, "We saw people drinking." "There were people dancing." "They played music." :o

Jolie Rouge
11-19-2004, 11:14 PM
Thought you might have to bring a napkin, coaster, matchbook ect ...

janelle
11-19-2004, 11:25 PM
What's wrong with calling it Bad Donkey? That is a cuter name anyway. :p

Kyla Kym
11-20-2004, 02:21 AM
What's wrong with calling it Bad Donkey? That is a cuter name anyway. :p
And it would sound much nicer than the other if your children were reading it out loud. I can just hear it now. Little Johnny says look mommy there is the new bad _____ coffee shop! :rolleyes:

justme23
11-20-2004, 03:20 AM
I think it's great... I'd much rather my kid be exposed to this than the new clothing company that has all the letters of the F word mixed up... as if it doesn't REALLY mean what they say it doesn't mean.