PDA

View Full Version : Juries *can* be wrong... Innocent Man Convicted Twice Gets Make-Over on ABC

PrncsNYC
11-19-2004, 07:12 PM
Don't shoot the messenger! Just posting an interesting story... :D

Makeover for Man Wrongly Dubbed 'Snaggletooth Killer'
Reality TV Show Plans to Transform Him
By BETH DeFALCO, AP

PHOENIX (Nov. 19) - For Ray Krone, his crooked smile became a criminal offense.

Krone was wrongfully convicted twice of killing a Phoenix woman based largely on expert testimony that purportedly matched his teeth with bite marks found on the victim.

Now the ABC reality show "Extreme Makeover" plans to transform the since-exonerated Krone, once dubbed the "snaggletooth killer," into a man with a winning smile.

"It's the embarrassment of being called the snaggletooth killer, living with that," Krone said in a phone interview before heading to California for his cosmetic adventure, which began Thursday. "My teeth are what they really used to convict me."

"I'm overwhelmed to think that I'll have straight teeth again," he said. "That isn't something I've had since I was about 19."

Krone, who now lives in Dover, Pa., was a postal worker who had just bought his first house when he was arrested in 1991 in the killing of Kim Ancona, a bartender who worked at a Phoenix lounge where Krone played darts.

Krone was convicted in 1992 and sentenced to death. But his case was overturned in 1994 on procedural grounds. A new trial was ordered and Krone was convicted a second time in 1996.

Talk About It

· Chat | Post Messages

In sentencing him the second time, the judge in the case said he wasn't sure that Krone was the killer. He spared Krone the death penalty and sentenced him to life imprisonment.

In 2002, new DNA testing proved Krone wasn't the killer. Using an FBI database, DNA from the crime scene was linked to a man already in prison for another crime. A trial for the new suspect is pending.

Krone was freed that year. By then, he had spent a decade in prison - two years of that on death row.

He sued city and county officials for his wrongful conviction, but the case drags on and he has yet to see any money.

Days after his release, Krone said he didn't expect to find a wife or have children because he had spent most of his 30s in prison.

He's hoping a makeover will change that and provide another start to his life on the outside.

"It's definitely something that would come back into a real realm of possibility," said Krone, 47. "Whatever my life is supposed to be now that I'm out, I think this is part of the plan."

Krone will spend nearly two months in California recovering from surgery and meeting with a fitness trainer and nutritionist.

He's allowed to talk to his family during the procedures, but he won't be able to see them until everything is done. A "reveal" party is being planned for Krone near his hometown.

Producers for the show say Krone was the perfect candidate.

"We want a candidate whose looks have deeply, negatively affected their lives," said Lou Gorfain, an executive producer for "Extreme Makeover."

"He has incredible charisma," Gorfain added. "He's the ultimate candidate."

Although plans are still tentative, executive producer Julie Laughlin said Krone will undergo extensive dental work, including new porcelain veneers - the latest in tooth replacement.

Two dermatologists will work on him simultaneously to smooth out acne scars. He'll have a hair transplant, an eye lift, nose job and liposuction on his cheeks.

For two months, he'll live in a Hollywood Hills mansion complete with a gym, pool, gourmet kitchen and plasma screen televisions.

"He deserves a real break," said attorney Chris Plourd, who unsuccessfully defended Krone during his second trial and worked on getting new DNA tests.

Plourd and a camera crew flew to Krone's home during the weekend to surprise him with the news that he was chosen for a makeover.

"He said he was sentencing me to six to eight weeks for an extreme makeover," Krone joked.

11-19-04 15:58 EST

DAVESBABYDOLL
11-19-2004, 07:19 PM
:rolleyes: *sigh maybe in this case but not the one thats on your mind.It's good he was freed,hopefully he sues for damages.

JKATHERINE
11-19-2004, 07:20 PM
That's so sad! But I'm glad they're doing something nice for him! There is a Maine man by the name of Dennis Dechaine who is currently serving life in prison for a murder he did not commit. If you want to read a great REAL LIFE murder mystery, read the book written about it called Human Sacrifice. It is excellent! Learn more at http://www.trialanderrordennis.org.

Sorry for hijacking your thread! Just a related point! :)

DAVESBABYDOLL
11-19-2004, 07:22 PM
That's so sad! But I'm glad they're doing something nice for him! There is a Maine man by the name of Dennis Dechaine who is currently serving life in prison for a murder he did not commit. If you want to read a great REAL LIFE murder mystery, read the book written about it called Human Sacrifice. It is excellent! Learn more at http://www.trialanderrordennis.org.

That is a good book Jamie!!

I just saw under your name...LOVEEEEE IT girl!! Ain't it the truth.

PrncsNYC
11-19-2004, 07:33 PM
:rolleyes: *sigh maybe in this case but not the one thats on your mind.It's good he was freed,hopefully he sues for damages.

I had other things to say to this but :rolleyes: sums it up.

PrncsNYC
11-19-2004, 07:33 PM

Not at all! Thank you! I will read that after dinner. :)

DAVESBABYDOLL
11-19-2004, 07:35 PM
I had other things to say to this but :rolleyes: sums it up.

OHhhhh, Thank you :D