PDA

View Full Version : OTC treatment for Pink Eye?

shelhop
11-19-2004, 07:40 AM
My little girl woke up this morning with conjunctivitis (pink eye). I'm in a bind, because we recently lost our insurence, and it's more cash than I have to take her to the doctor.
Does anyone knowof an OTC treatment I can use? I have heard that you can use Neosporin ointment. But I want to be absolutely sure before I do something like that. If anyone knows of something, ok'd by a physician, that I can use, please post.

TIA

Eyore
11-19-2004, 07:52 AM
You could ask the pharmacist what you could use. If it is pink eye it is very contagious.

Tasha405
11-19-2004, 07:53 AM
I think I seen a commercial the other day for a new pink eye OTC medicine. Let me do a search and see what I can find. :)

teenies*mom
11-19-2004, 07:54 AM
Teenie just got over pink eye - but when I was at Wal-Mart the other day there is a OTC treatment you can buy - its near the eye glass and contact cleaner stuff.
I dont' know how much it is and I don't know how good it is but I did see some Pink Eye medicine. Plus my brother is a dr and he told me another thing to help clear it up is to wash her eyes out twice a day with a No tear baby shampoo then put warm tea bags on her eyes. The shampoo will help clean the eyes out and there is something in the tea that helps too.
Hope this helps.

queenangie
11-19-2004, 07:56 AM
Call the doctor's office and speak w/ the nurse.
Explain your child has pink eye and you need the eye drops.
Are there any samples available?

OTC will not work for pink eye.

Tasha405
11-19-2004, 07:56 AM
Here it is....

http://www.healthyrelief.com/products.cfm?pname=PER

tracyb
11-19-2004, 08:00 AM
it is new they just came out with it specifically for pink eye it isn't visine it is for PINK EYE.i dont know about it just seen it on tv neosporin never heard of that one better make sure if you find out about it post it here please.

Tasha405
11-19-2004, 08:01 AM
Here it is....

There is also a coupon for $1 off :D

Willow
11-19-2004, 08:03 AM
You aren't supposed to put Neosporin in your eyes. I have some and I just looked at the back of it and it says to avoid contact with the eyes and other mucous membranes.

teenies*mom
11-19-2004, 08:08 AM
just an FYI too - this is what they have my DD on for hers and she is still on it.
made by Bausch & Lomb its called Gentamycin Opth Sol.....thats what it says on the box of eye drops anyways. (Gentamicin Sulfate Ophthalmic)

shelhop
11-19-2004, 09:15 AM
Thank you all for the advice. Printing a coupon now...Didn't even know they had this stuff. bet it's expensive, but much cheaper than a doctor's visit.

JazzMama
11-19-2004, 10:32 AM
Also, we used Similasan Pink Eye Relief...was about $8.60 at Walmart, but it definitely worked (cleared up Cailyn's eye in 1.5 days)

Bick'sMom
11-19-2004, 10:35 AM
Also, we used Similasan Pink Eye Relief...was about $8.60 at Walmart, but it definitely worked (cleared up Cailyn's eye in 1.5 days)

Yup, that's what we used and it works great!

shelhop
11-19-2004, 12:23 PM
We got the Similasan Pink Eye relief...not too costly, especially with the coupon. So glad to hear it works well. It's homeopathic, too, which I like.
I think I've heard before of washing out the eyes with Baby Shampoo. Maybe I'll get up the courage to try that. (I'm always afraid to trust that it's ACTUALLY tear free.)

Thanks again everyone

miralys
11-19-2004, 03:30 PM
I get allergic pink eye all the time. I have someone pry my eye open while I pour distilled water in it to wash it out.

teenies*mom
11-19-2004, 04:27 PM
We got the Similasan Pink Eye relief...not too costly, especially with the coupon. So glad to hear it works well. It's homeopathic, too, which I like.
I think I've heard before of washing out the eyes with Baby Shampoo. Maybe I'll get up the courage to try that. (I'm always afraid to trust that it's ACTUALLY tear free.)

Thanks again everyone

Teenie did the eye wash with the baby shampoo and didn't bother her one bit - . She was a little leary at first about trying it but after the first time - she didn't mind doing it.

Njean31
11-19-2004, 04:47 PM
if the eye or eyes are crusting over in the mornings or have thick purulent yellowish mucous, you WILL NEED an opthalmic antibiotic as the otc meds may relieve the symptoms but don't kill the bug :)

1tiredmom
11-19-2004, 09:57 PM
Here it is....

that was what i was going to say saw it at walgreens when i was working

halvarado
11-20-2004, 09:05 AM
i just had pink eye last week. it is very very contagious. if you still have a pcp from your old ins, if you call them, they will prob. just give you a script over the phone. LOL, they don't want you in there! if the other things don't work, i would try that.

halvarado
11-20-2004, 09:06 AM
just saw the thing about johnsons. just thought i would let you know something i was not aware of. the reason it is no tears is that it actually contains a numbing agent. i was very shocked and upset when i learned that. :( just thought you might want to know that.
heather