PDA

View Full Version : Remember November 11 is Veterans Day

Jolie Rouge
11-09-2004, 11:05 PM
http://www.flowgo.com/funpages/view.cfm/6382

http://www.flowgo.com/funpages/view.cfm/6382

janelle
11-09-2004, 11:45 PM
All veterans can get a free meal at Golden Corral that day. :)

Angel Lips
11-10-2004, 05:36 AM
i remember

flute
11-10-2004, 01:49 PM
Also my birthday.

Gifts, jewlery, food and of course MONEY is accepted :P

nanajoanie
11-10-2004, 02:59 PM
Dreaming that everyone remembers our vets, not just now but from all our history.

And yes we are going to Golden Corral for the dinner tomorrow night especially with Mur in Iraq. The family has their military ID cards but I will pay for my dinner. I will leave a sizeable tip if the service is good :)

gobs101
11-10-2004, 05:08 PM
The golden corall was one of Chris favorite places while in Colorado. In February after his Memorial Service from the Unit we asked Dylon where he wanted to eat and he said at his Dad's restraunt so we took him to The Golden Corral and he told them who "HE" was and that his "Daddy was flying with the Angels now." After we were seated and ordered drinks Dylon jumped up got a plate and piled it with all kinds of foods he would never eat and then asked for a huge STEAK!! Asked him what he was going to do with all that food and he told us it was for his Daddy as he placed the plate next to his.

People need to see Veterns Day as an Honor to our Service men and women and not just as a day off. I continue to pray for the safety and quick return of all our men and women who are in harms way. Just rememberFREEDOM ISN'T FREE!![COLOR=DarkRed]

nanajoanie
11-10-2004, 06:15 PM
I am thrilled that kids in our area get Veterans day off school also voting day. I never did growing up.

Jolie Rouge
11-11-2004, 10:13 AM
Veterans Day memorials follow contentious vote
Bush: 'On this day, our nation thanks them all'
Thursday, November 11, 2004 Posted: 11:48 AM EST

http://i.a.cnn.net/cnn/2004/US/11/11/veterans.day/vert.bush.wreath.jpg
A military guard is posted at the Tomb of the Unknowns in Arlington National Cemetery.

(CNN) -- As the nation observes another Veterans Day, servicemen and women and their loved ones may remember 2004 as a particularly trying year.

Veterans' issues took on a political edge during the presidential battle, with Sen. John Kerry campaigning on his service in Vietnam -- and challenging President Bush's record with the Texas Air National Guard.

Amid furiously debated military action in Iraq and Afghanistan, each candidate claimed the high road in asking for veterans' support in time of war.

On Thursday, President Bush, little more than a week past his re-election in that vote, has gone to Arlington National Cemetery in Virginia for the traditional ceremony of a presidential wreath-laying at the Tomb of the Unknowns and comments in the cemetery's Memorial Amphitheater.

"Veterans Day is set aside to remember every man and woman who has taken up arms to defend our country. We honor every soldier, sailor, airman, marine, and coast guardsman who gave some of the best years of their lives to the service of the United States and stood ready to give life itself on our behalf," Bush said. "Twenty-five million military veterans walk among us. And on this day, our nation thanks them all."

In Washington, a new exhibit has opened in honor of Americans' sacrifices for freedom during conflicts that span the nation's history.That display at the Smithsonian's National Museum of American History is entitled "The Price of Freedom: Americans at War."
(Smithsonian exhibit honors vets from Revolution to now : www.cnn.com/2004/TRAVEL/11/11/veteransday.exhibit/index.html)

In many parts of the country, memorial events are scheduled and under way.

Observances

Among the memorials planned for Thursday in the nation's capital:

A Defense Department World War II 60th anniversary commemoration wreath laying is set at the World War II Memorial in Washington.

A wreath-laying is planned for the afternoon at the Vietnam Veterans Memorial.

A special U.S. Army 1st Cavalry Division Association wreath-laying ceremony is scheduled at the World War II Memorial.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/11/11/veterans.day/index.html

nanajoanie
11-11-2004, 10:48 AM
Been watching the ceremonies on MSNBC & CNN. Very impresssive. Then the stuff in Iraq and taps - needless to say, my eyes aren't just leaking, been about bawling.
The grandkidlettes kept hugging me saying Daddy will be OK Nana. 12 and 15 yr. old kids are wonderful in this household. I didn't tell them why I was so upset. They have a hard enough time dealing with Daddy Mur gone at this time. Sure hope everyone is remembering our vets right up to current soldiers.

Jolie Rouge
11-11-2004, 08:43 PM
Bush Honors 'Hidden Heroes' in Military
By JENNIFER LOVEN

ARLINGTON, Va. (AP) - President Bush paused on Veterans Day to honor the ``hidden heroes'' in America's military who have fought in Iraq and Afghanistan during his presidency and in wars past. He also paid tribute to soldiers he said are waging a winning battle against insurgents west of Baghdad. ``Some of tomorrow's veterans are in combat in Iraq at this hour,'' Bush said Thursday at Arlington National Cemetery, where he laid a wreath at the Tomb of the Unknowns.

``They have a clear mission: to defeat the terrorists and aid the rise of a free government that can defend itself. They are making us proud,'' Bush added. ``They are winning.''

As Bush spoke, U.S. soldiers and Marines opened a second phase in an offensive against insurgents in the southern half of Fallujah that has sent a stream of American wounded to the U.S. military's main hospital in Europe. Planes carrying around 90 injured troops were expected Thursday at Landstuhl Regional Medical Center in Germany. They join 125 wounded soldiers flown there already this week.

The military, which is trying to squeeze Sunni Muslim fighters into a smaller cordon of the city, estimated that 600 insurgents have been killed in the assault thus far, but acknowledged success in the city won't break Iraq's insurgency.

There are about 142,000 U.S. troops in Iraq, up several thousand from a few weeks ago. As the Iraq war nears the two-year mark, the U.S. military death toll there stands at more than 1,140.

Joining Bush at the ceremony were his wife, Laura, and several members of his Cabinet. His motorcade entered the grounds of the vast cemetery, where more than 260,000 military dead are buried, through a phalanx of bayonet-wielding honor guard members and to the sounds of cannon blasts. `Twenty-five million veterans walk among us and, on this day, our nation thanks them all,'' he said in a somber address. ``These are the hidden heroes of a peaceful nation.''

Honoring particularly those who have died, Bush said their sacrifice has made America the ``greatest force for good'' among the nations of the world. ``Our whole nation honors every patriot who placed duty and country before their own lives,'' the president said. ``They gave us every day that we live in freedom.''

Earlier Thursday, Bush held a private reception on the State Floor of the White House with veterans, leaders of veterans organizations and Medal of Honor recipients.

11/11/04 21:53

http://cnn.netscape.cnn.com/news/story.jsp?flok=FF-APO-1151&idq=/ff/story/0001%2F20041111%2F2153480735.htm&sc=1151

nightrider127
11-11-2004, 09:20 PM
Thank you to all our veterans who laid their lives on the line to secure the freedoms that we enjoy today.

janelle
11-12-2004, 01:23 PM
They said on TV here that the free Golden Corral meal is next Monday. :confused: :confused: Better check to make sure. You may still be able to get it.