PDA

View Full Version : ARRRGGHHHHH SS loses his new coat

kelly12569
11-09-2004, 08:41 PM
ugggghhhhh its been so cold here lately so this morning I told the kids "no more jackets, wear your winter coats today"

Everyone gets theirs on except oldest SS.... go figure (yep, same one I normally gripe about :rolleyes: )

Ok, last year we bought him a brand new Columbia coat. It was $90.00 , we got it on clearance for $45.00 plus tax , we bought it at the END of last winter during their markdowns.

So today SS says he cant find his. Im like thats not a big closet , now go get it! He says ohhh no really its not up there. I searched the whole room. Then he says "OH! Maybe I left it at school one day last year?" Im like WHATTTTTT

mind you last year we bought him a "school jacket" ( the kind the school sells with their logo, etc on it. Cost a pretty penny) and he lost it, plus his gym shoes he hardly wore we told him to bring home on the last day and he couldnt find those either... or so he says anyways.

So now what am I to do?? He does have another coat, but its not the best coat. Its the one we make him wear to his mothers because everything he wears there comes home ruined, torn up, stained, full of sand, etc. So we dont let him wear anything new there because we know it will come back ruined if it comes back at all.

In a way I want to make him wear that one to school to teach him a lesson versus going out and buying him ANOTHER brand new one. But then again I would be to embarrassed to send him to school in that coat... I mean, Im on the PTO for pete's sake... I dont want ppl seeing my kid or SS in a coat he basically destroys at his mothers house ,thinking OMG I cant believe she let him wear that.

There's no where else it could be around here. The other kids have searched the entire house high and low because I offered $$$ if someone found it. Trust me if they found it I would know by now...hehe. Money talks to the kids in this house LOL

And to think just the other night DH mentioned that next year in high school he will want a high school jacket..... yea right :rolleyes: Im in a hurry to fork more money out for something like that....

what to do , what to do :mad:

YankeeMary
11-09-2004, 09:10 PM
I seriously think he has ADHD...my son lost 6 coats a few years ago, just in one season. He rarely loses things like that now that he is medicated.

NiteQueen
11-09-2004, 09:45 PM
Good thing his head is attached............thought that would make u laugh a lil....

Tasha405
11-10-2004, 06:46 AM
Good thing his head is attachedLOL! I say that all the time...about myself! I'm always losing stuff. :o

I can't get my Chris to bring his home from school. So yesterday he we out with his hair wet (he spikes it) and a t-shirt on. It was like 30 degrees! He wouldn't even put on a long sleeve shirt or hoodie. Anyway, I kinda know what you're going through, except Chris knows where his is and only brings it home when he wants to. lol

I really don't know what to tell ya. Maybe buy him a new one and then sit him down and tell him that he needs to be more responsible for his things and if he loses this one he will have to wear his old one or something. I don't know. (((((Hugs)))))

cinnamonch
11-10-2004, 08:20 AM
I would not buy him a new one. let him were the old worn out one or if you do buy one, get it from a garage sale or good will. If he ask why he cant have new, let him know that if he cant be responsible for his things, then you arent going to through money away buying him anything nice.

LazyTimeGirl
11-10-2004, 09:01 AM
Well by the sounds of your post your son is either in middle or high school, right? So he’s definitely old enough to keep track of his belongings. I would not buy him another coat. He can wear the old one (and who cares what the PTA thinks). If he gripes about it, too bad. If you keep replacing his stuff that he is careless with, how in the word will he ever learn to be responsible? If he wants a new coat, tell him he can buy one himself with his own money. If he doesn’t want to do that, he has to wear the old one.

Quaker_Parrots
11-10-2004, 09:30 AM
YOu might check with school and see if they have a lost and found...just a thought, might not work with it being so long...

navywife
11-10-2004, 11:14 AM
Perhaps you and your stepson could go half and half on a new coat or have him work off half of the cost by doing extra work around the home. All kids lose things, heck I am 31 and I still misplace things. Just a thought! :)

silvermist
11-10-2004, 11:41 AM
I agree with the others. You should let him wear the same coat and not go soft on him. Or make him work for it or buy a cheap one. It seems he isn't appreciative at all and seems really disrespectful by past posts of yours. Buying him a new one won't solve anything and I bet he'll "lose" it again. And what the pto thinks doesn't matter as you are just disciplining and it's not their business anyway.

kelly12569
11-10-2004, 12:13 PM
I seriously think he has ADHD...my son lost 6 coats a few years ago, just in one season. He rarely loses things like that now that he is medicated.

he does Mary. and has been on meds since preschool.

kelly12569
11-10-2004, 12:18 PM
Perhaps you and your stepson could go half and half on a new coat or have him work off half of the cost by doing extra work around the home. All kids lose things, heck I am 31 and I still misplace things. Just a thought! :)

well... thats a good idea except,

He owes so many ppl here money for tearing their stuff up it would take him a life time. He even owes me a new blender because he got mad at me one day and threw my new one across the kitchen and busted it :( but thats a whole nother thread... literally... lol

I think I will just make him wear the other coat, the one he wears to his mother's house. It just irks me that it was practically a brand new coat.

queenangie
11-10-2004, 12:43 PM
Go to Good Will or Salvation Army to pick up another coat for your SS.

That's a lot of money to waste....just to have another one lost.
Do you put his name on them?

valgal
11-10-2004, 02:40 PM
How old is he? I swear the older kids get the less responsible they are. I asked my 14 yo DD to pick up her sisters homework at school. She was sick and needed it. I asked her to do this twice in a row. Both days she forgot. She gives me a slew of excuses. I don't accept them. I told her I wanted her to do a simple task and she couldn't remember. I could have gone myself but I wanted her to take on the responsibility. Obviously it was a bad idea. I think teenagers would lose body parts if they weren't attatched to them.

:D

navywife
11-10-2004, 03:53 PM
well... thats a good idea except,

He owes so many ppl here money for tearing their stuff up it would take him a life time. He even owes me a new blender because he got mad at me one day and threw my new one across the kitchen and busted it :( but thats a whole nother thread... literally... lol

I think I will just make him wear the other coat, the one he wears to his mother's house. It just irks me that it was practically a brand new coat.

I am so sorry....I didnt realize that there were so many issues surrounding this...stick to your guns and enforce the "old" jacket rule for now. I also agree that the PTO's opinion is not important...let them gossip....it just shows how little class they have. I hope it all works out for you because I have seen some of your other posts and I know you are at your wits end. Hugs to you and may the "coat fairy" pay you a visit!! :)

kelly12569
11-10-2004, 04:02 PM
yep, he's a teenager, 14! lol

I swear .... we have FIVE kids and this one loses more stuff than the other 4 kids combined

ahhhh life goes on....

Blondiex46
11-10-2004, 05:31 PM
Seems like things are about the same in your house. My kids and I loose things all the time. I find alot of things they have lost in the lost and found at the school. One of the twins lost a coat last year and I had one that I bought at a yard sale and that is what he is wearing.

buglebe
11-10-2004, 07:07 PM
Is it possible this child is using drugs? My son did. He was always losing stuff. Marijuana causes them to forget or not care. And don't think you will always know. I am an RN and I didn't see it in my own son until his sisters told me. This was years ago but the behavior of drug use is still the same.
Even the anger can go with it.

ebgreen74
11-10-2004, 07:29 PM
ugggghhhhh its been so cold here lately so this morning I told the kids "no more jackets, wear your winter coats today"

Everyone gets theirs on except oldest SS.... go figure (yep, same one I normally gripe about :rolleyes: )

Ok, last year we bought him a brand new Columbia coat. It was $90.00 , we got it on clearance for $45.00 plus tax , we bought it at the END of last winter during their markdowns.

So today SS says he cant find his. Im like thats not a big closet , now go get it! He says ohhh no really its not up there. I searched the whole room. Then he says "OH! Maybe I left it at school one day last year?" Im like WHATTTTTT

mind you last year we bought him a "school jacket" ( the kind the school sells with their logo, etc on it. Cost a pretty penny) and he lost it, plus his gym shoes he hardly wore we told him to bring home on the last day and he couldnt find those either... or so he says anyways.

So now what am I to do?? He does have another coat, but its not the best coat. Its the one we make him wear to his mothers because everything he wears there comes home ruined, torn up, stained, full of sand, etc. So we dont let him wear anything new there because we know it will come back ruined if it comes back at all.

In a way I want to make him wear that one to school to teach him a lesson versus going out and buying him ANOTHER brand new one. But then again I would be to embarrassed to send him to school in that coat... I mean, Im on the PTO for pete's sake... I dont want ppl seeing my kid or SS in a coat he basically destroys at his mothers house ,thinking OMG I cant believe she let him wear that.

There's no where else it could be around here. The other kids have searched the entire house high and low because I offered $$$ if someone found it. Trust me if they found it I would know by now...hehe. Money talks to the kids in this house LOL

And to think just the other night DH mentioned that next year in high school he will want a high school jacket..... yea right :rolleyes: Im in a hurry to fork more money out for something like that....

what to do , what to do :mad:

well at least it was actually the kids fault and not his mothers. My SS's coat got lost last year also because his MOM left it somewhere. It was 1 of those days where maybe you might need a coat ya know-so she took it along and left it somewhere. SS didn't even know she had brought it. I swear if she can't even keep track of stuff, how can I expect SS too??? I feel your pain though!!! Oh this was a nice expensive coat too that was a bit big on him that would fit perfectly this year too!!!

kelly12569
11-10-2004, 08:19 PM
Is it possible this child is using drugs? My son did. He was always losing stuff. Marijuana causes them to forget or not care. And don't think you will always know. I am an RN and I didn't see it in my own son until his sisters told me. This was years ago but the behavior of drug use is still the same.
Even the anger can go with it.

you know..... just because of some other issues with him at home and at his mothers house it has crossed my mind.... but not because of this. Things that he says, sometimes the way he is acting, etc. Last summer his older brother that his mother "had custody of" was suspended from school for a bag of pot in his locker. THe mother had legal custody of him but he "lived" wherever. Since then she has signed papers for him to quit school. Last week he (my SS) came home with " $$$ = SEX " written all over his leg in marker!!

DH doesnt think we need to have him screened but I do and since Im the one who always takes him to his appts I think next time Im just gonna ask the dr to have the lab run a tinkle test on him. Ill just tell him its routine or something so he doesnt get his panties in a bunch, etc.

But like I said.... thats a whole nother vent that gets me on that topic.

Im going to school tomorrow to ask if maybe it could still be in the lost and found from last year but now he says he just doesnt remember what he did with it :rolleyes:

Gonna snow tomorrow.... LOL.....you would think he would want to find the good coat.

missymommy
11-11-2004, 06:21 AM
I would go buy him a nice new coat from Kmart (not a columbia) and then I would have a Tag made up and sew into it with his name address and telephone number and a message that read if found please return into the inside. If he is losing so many other things I would do that with everything else he owns too.

If I were 14 I would keep my hands on my stuff if this were inside because I wouldn't want my friends to pick it up and find that inside it.

YankeeMary
11-11-2004, 06:35 AM
Kelly, our old school donated all lost and found items at the end of the year to the salvation army. What size does he wear? Maybe we have one around here that I will gladly RAOK it to you. My sons don't wear winter coats anymore, they say it isn't cold enough here for it..woo hoo...gotta love the south.

kelly12569
11-13-2004, 11:28 PM
Kelly, our old school donated all lost and found items at the end of the year to the salvation army. What size does he wear? Maybe we have one around here that I will gladly RAOK it to you. My sons don't wear winter coats anymore, they say it isn't cold enough here for it..woo hoo...gotta love the south.

awww.. thanks Mary. We're gonna just have him wear this one for now. He's gotta learn some responsibility sometime. Thats a coat, a jacket, and a pair of shoes in just a few months he's "lost"

That new coat has GOT to turn up somewhere. Im hoping.

twinkiesmom
11-13-2004, 11:51 PM
If it were my kid, he'd be wearing the old one. Chances are he'll lose that too. But, I would not go out and buy new just for him to lose. No way. He wants a new one? Let him buy it. U did your share. He chose to not take care of it. As far as your embarrassment, anyone on PTO opens their yap, u tell them the boy lost 2 brand new ones u bought.