PDA

View Full Version : No More Miss America ?!?!

Jolie Rouge
10-20-2004, 09:59 PM
Miss America Dropped From ABC

http://cdn-channels.netscape.com/cppops/14/20040914_00001/i/missalabamawins135.jpg

ATLANTIC CITY, N.J. (AP) - ABC-TV has pulled the plug on Miss America, leaving the famous beauty pageant without a network television sponsor for the first time in 50 years.

ABC, which had carried the annual telecast since 1997 with a series of one-year contracts, notified Miss America Organization officials that they will not pick up the option this year, Acting President and CEO Arthur McMaster said Wednesday. ``This is a good day for the Miss America Organization,'' he said. ``We are now free to pursue other parties who have expressed interest in our organization, and we are excited at the limitless opportunities that are now available for us to grow our brand.''

The move, which comes on the heels of a Sept. 18 pageant that drew a record-low 9.8 million viewers, could jeopardize the foundation of a program that grew from an Atlantic City publicity stunt into a TV icon, largely on the strength of the contest and crowning beamed into millions of living rooms each September.

Since Lee Meriwether was crowned on Sept. 11, 1954 in the first televised pageant, Miss America has grown into a nonprofit corporation that makes available more than $40 million annually in scholarship aid and oversees 52 state pageants.

``It's certainly an ominous sign,'' said former CEO Leonard Horn. ``Whether or not they can get a contract with another network is going to be very important.''

ABC officials didn't immediately respond to requests for comment. Publicist Cathy Rehl did not immediately return a telephone call seeking comment Wednesday.

ABC, which took over Miss America after 30-year sponsor NBC lost interest in 1996, has had rocky relations with Miss America officials in recent years, in part because of the low television ratings.

10/20/04 15:14

miralys
10-21-2004, 04:07 AM
Good Riddance.

DivineMsDi
10-21-2004, 04:24 AM
Personally, I am totally against BEAUTY CONTESTS...yes, tell me how they now "care" that the person is also smart and has goals "I want to save all of mankind..." :rolleyes:

We need more show encouraging women to use their brains to advance themselves. How about science pagents for girls and women?

A woman is more than just some beautiful object..like magazines that celebrate the abnormally thin, beauty contests are a load of old rubbish in my opinion.

Hopefully NO network will pick up this stupid and outdated program.

teenies*mom
10-21-2004, 04:45 AM
I never watched that anyway...lol

teenies*mom
10-21-2004, 04:45 AM
I never watched that anyway...lol

JKATHERINE
10-21-2004, 05:25 AM
Buh Bye! I wish they'd just get rid of the stupid thing anyway. Those girls should get a life and actually DO something besides stand around and be beautiful.

Willow
10-21-2004, 05:39 AM
I never watched it either. I'm so sick of everything being basesd on what a person looks like.

YNKYH8R
10-21-2004, 06:30 AM
Its still on? I thought that went off the air, and Bob Barker went back to hosting The Price is Right?