PDA

View Full Version : what is your 3rd grader learning in school?

smellacar
10-16-2004, 03:22 PM
:) hi me again, asking questions for my art ed class... what are your third graders learning in school ? thanks!!!

LADYBUDD1
10-17-2004, 12:21 AM
My dd has been having to read, spelling, sentance (sp?)formation, basic math. My dds teacher is pushing fluent reading skills more than anything. Hope that helps.

rlynn411
10-17-2004, 07:36 AM
My DD is in 4th grade now, but last year she did extensive reading and would be required to write a summary on what they read. Alos had reading assignments to where the read and story then had to go through list certain things such as problem and solutions within the story. They did science, had to chance to bring home shoe box science to do at hime with the parents, social studies, they kept working on their map reading skills, locating states on a map. Math was basic, also lots of word math problems, which required the kids to use criticle thinking and reasoning, then moved on to muliplication and then division. They studied the Rainforest extensively. Which the kids loved.

Our schools tend to gear their teaching on preparing for the state profiency testing, which is fine to one extent but at the same time I feel like the kids are being tought to test. Granted last year our school had the excellent rating and testing results were well above minimum requirements, but theres time I wonder if the kids learn as much as they can since the testing is so heavily concentrated on. Kids stress like crazy during test time.

tracyb
10-17-2004, 08:43 AM
:) hi me again, asking questions for my art ed class... what are your third graders learning in school ? thanks!!!

my 3rg grader is doing a lot of reading she is 4th grade level. they do basic math with there times tables. rewrite sentences correctly with the right "stop sign" at the end and changing words that should not be in there. big spelling words shew some of these words for 3rd graders thank God she is an excellent speller but hard for a lot of the other children. the really push reading and keep getting kids ready for there state testing.......PUSH PUSH PUSH sometimes i feel so sorry for the kids these days!!!! :(

kelly12569
10-17-2004, 12:22 PM
My son is in third grade. They concentrate alot on literacy right now. They have started groups, either guided reading ( for those who need a little help with it ) and literacy groups ( for those who read pretty good and they read a book and then write about it, etc)

In math they are adding subtracting double digits. Learning the forms of math problems.... standard form, extended form, and I cant think of the other off the top of my head right now :eek: And story problems and some fractions.

In science they are studying the human body and last week they concentrated on the circulatory system. They drew a life size body, cut it out and drew in and colored and labeled the parts of the circulatory system.

They have 12 spelling words each week that are chosen from their top 100 list.

In music they have been working on songs for a fall musical they will be doing next month.

In gym they have been using different types of excercise equipment and the teacher tells them what each piece works on, etc.

Not sure what they are doing in art and of course they have library once a week and something else that they call activity 35 where they swap rooms for an hour and do a special activity with a teacher other than their own.

Im in my son's room several days a week so its pretty easy for me to keep up with what they are doing. Hope that helped. ;)