PDA

View Full Version : Ugh! I'm trying to find a doctor so I can make myself an appointment

Tasha405
10-14-2004, 07:51 AM
I cannot handle these stomach pains any longer. This has been going on for the past few years. They thought it was my gallbladder and I did have stones so they removed it. A week or so later I start having pains again in the same exact spot as before. So they do a stomach x-ray and the nurse calls and says they didn't find anything. When I tell her that something has to be causing the pains she then decides to tell me that they did find a small hiatal hurnia (sp?) but it was to small to bother me. Ok, whatever. Fine. All of this pain started when I was pregnant with my youngest son. He is turning 4 on Oct. 21st.

The pains are very high in my stomach in the middle and over the the right. I have suffered many nights (and days) and just sat and cry because I didn't know what to do or what was causing the pains. I didn't have insurance for a while so going to the doctor was out of the question. I then discovered that milk would make the pains go away. Great! Yay! Well.... now the milk doesn't help. For the past few days I've been having pains that are pretty much constant. Nothing helps. Not TUMS, not rollaids... nothing. I also feel as if something it swollen and it pushes up or to the side when I sit or stand and it feels like it gets jarred as I walk. That hurts! My stomach is so sensitive in that area and it hurts when I press on it. I'm staying sick to my stomach about 90% of the time now and I just can't handle it anymore. Something has to be causing this and hopefully it is something that can either be controlled by some type of diet or medicine. I really don't want to have surgery but of course I will if it will make this all go away.

When DH got transferred up here we didn't have insurance for 90 days. When we finally got it the insurance company sent a book with a list of doctors along with their addresses and phone numbers. Well that should be easy to do and everything should be fine right?? WRONG! The doctor I picked for the kids and even had listed on their card retired over 3 yrs ago. So I find them a new doctor and now the doctor I listed on the card for myself and my DH is no longer at her address or phone number they had listed for her. Ugh! So I call a clinic and told the woman I was looking for a doctor for myself and I was wondering if there was on there I would be able to see. She sends me to another number and guess what?? They are to busy to answer my call so I get a recording. That makes me mad! I hate that you can never call somewhere and talk to a live person when you need to.

Anyway, I'm waiting for them to call me back. I pray they have a doctor available there to see me. I really need to find out what's going on with my stomach. :(

Thanks for reading. I just needed to vent. I feel bad and was hoping to get an appointment made pretty quick but they still haven't called me back yet. Things are just getting to me. lol

schsa
10-14-2004, 07:59 AM
Call the insurance company and have them find you a doctor in your area as well as make an appointment for you. That is the least they should be doing. When I worked in medical insurance we did that all of the time.

If worse comes to worse, and you don't have an HMO, get a gastroentrologist. It could be anything from your stomach to your appendix or any number of things including an ulcer.

Eyore
10-14-2004, 08:12 AM
Good luck, hope you find a doctor. Does your insurance company have a website? If so, you may be able to find information on there site about finding doctors.

Jaidness
10-14-2004, 08:13 AM
((((((((((((((((((((Tasha))))))))))))))) hope you get it all taken care of...*restrains herself from poking Tashas bellybutton*

Tasha405
10-14-2004, 08:16 AM
((((((((((((((((((((Tasha))))))))))))))) hope you get it all taken care of...*restrains herself from poking Tashas bellybutton*

:eek: :eek: Jaid!! Where have you been, I haven't seen you on here in a LONG TIME! :p
*poke, poke, poke* hehehe :D

Thanks for the advice everyone. If the clinic doesn't call me back soon I'll either call the insurance company or look for a website. :)

Jaidness
10-14-2004, 09:18 AM
been around, staying out of trouble working my tush off lol... hope you feel better soon girl!

Angelseyes28
10-14-2004, 09:55 AM
{{{{Tasha}}}}} Stop waiting around on the clinic to call and get your butt on that phone(not literally:p) and call your insurance company!!! You are being entirely too patient, I see I'm going to have to teach you a thing or two:D Seriously, go ahead and call the insurance now. Even if the clinic does call back, maybe the insurance can give you the name of a doctor and you will be able to get an appointment sooner. Now stop waiting around and get on the ball woman!

Tasha405
10-14-2004, 10:46 AM
{{{{Tasha}}}}} Stop waiting around on the clinic to call and get your butt on that phone(not literally:p) and call your insurance company!!! You are being entirely too patient, I see I'm going to have to teach you a thing or two:D Seriously, go ahead and call the insurance now. Even if the clinic does call back, maybe the insurance can give you the name of a doctor and you will be able to get an appointment sooner. Now stop waiting around and get on the ball woman!
:p LOL

I found the insurance companies website and I done some searches (they have great search features) and I came up with a few. All of them that I called are no longer accepting new patients and one of them said I had to fill out a acceptance slip. :confused: She said I would need to come into the office and fill out the slip. The doctor will then look over it and my history and decide if he wants to accept me as a patient or not. I've never heard of such a thing. Thats just crazy. I mean, that could take a few days and then we he accepts me (if he does) thats another few days or even weeks before I can get in to see him. I told her to just forget it! I've never had such a hard time trying to find a doctor before.

I'm getting ready to call the clinic back and I'm going to tell them that I'm not getting off of the phone until I have an appointment with any doctor. LOL

Tasha405
10-14-2004, 11:05 AM
I FINALLY got through to the clinic and the woman gave me 4 names of doctors that are currently accepting patients but of course they are out to lunch right now. LOL I'll try back about 2:30 or so. Keep your fingers crossed that I get myself an appointment!!

After all that I have been through today I think I might need some nerve medicine too. LOL!

Tasha405
10-14-2004, 11:33 AM
I got myself an appointment!! WOO HOO!! Monday the 18th @ 3:15. :D

Eyore
10-14-2004, 11:40 AM
Good, glad you finally got an appointment. Hope they find out what is wrong so you stop having belly pain.

Njean31
10-14-2004, 12:01 PM
your symptoms all point to hiatal hernia to me. the pain associated with it will be at the very top of your stomach and often gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) will accompany it WHICH explains your past releif by drinking milk. i'm glad you got a doc appt. hope you feel better.

Tasha405
10-14-2004, 12:03 PM
your symptoms all point to hiatal hernia to me. the pain associated with it will be at the very top of your stomach and often gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) will accompany it WHICH explains your past releif by drinking milk. i'm glad you got a doc appt. hope you feel better.
Thanks for the info! :D I was thinking it had to do with the hernia too. Is there medicine I can take for this or is surgery necessary? I have no clue about any of this stuff. :o

Njean31
10-14-2004, 12:09 PM
check out http://www.co.broward.fl.us/mei00222.htm

it gives you some ideas on how to relieve it and when surgery is necessary :)

had to fix the link, it works now.

justme23
10-14-2004, 01:19 PM
Has anyone checked to see if you have... oh what is the word... the open sore thingies in the lining of the stomach... whatever they are called... I only ask, cause milk wouldn't help a hernia, but it would help one of those sores for a while... until it got too big... an ulcer... there's the word... and they are extremely painful... I say try some nexium until you can get a doctor to help... it's supposed to help heal those things... I know it's expensive, but relief is relief, right? I hope you find something that works for you, Tasha! (hugz)

kelly12569
10-14-2004, 05:12 PM
I got myself an appointment!! WOO HOO!! Monday the 18th @ 3:15. :D

WOOHOO TASHA!! So glad you are getting in to a doctor finally!! And get this... as if we dont have enough in common.... they scheduled me with a surgeon finally and I go in on the 18th as well...LOL... so hopefully we will both be hearing some good news on that day. All I want to hear is a date to yank my plumbing and gall bladder out and hopefully you will hear it is something minor hun !! Keep us posted !

catdance
10-14-2004, 05:15 PM
((((((HUGS))))), I got your back on "feeling better and waiting for the Doctor PRAYERS!!"

andreame70
10-14-2004, 07:44 PM
Glad to hear that you got a Dr's appt. I hope they can figure out what is wrong and get it fixed for you.

A friend of mine had to have her gallbladder removed a couple of years ago and she experienced some pain afterward in the same general area where it had been removed. Come to find out, when the doctor squeezed some tube that was connected to her gallbladder to remove the stones that had backed up into it, he was not able to get all the tiny ones out. After a period of time, the small ones left in the tube gathered and fused into larger ones. They were causing her just about as much pain as she had before the gallbladder was removed. This could be a possibility. I am not sure how they treated it, I will ask her tomorrow, but I think that they were able to somehow dissolve them. I know that she didn't have more surgery, so they took care of it somehow.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Andrea

Tasha405
10-15-2004, 06:56 AM
Thanks everyone! (((Hugs)))

Kelly I hope you hear some good news too! We have been through the ringer and back huh? lol

andreame, thats what I'm scared of too. the doctor that removed my gallbladder even broke a needle off inside of me and everything. He was rough and didn't have any bedside manners. I didn't like him at all. He is kinda like a suck it up and get over it type of doctor and I don't like that.

I'm thinking it might be an ulcer too. All of these things...hiatal hernia, ulcers and all sorts of other stomach problems run in my family.

I'm so scared that they will want to run one of those scopes down my throat. Thats all I keep thinking about. lol

Eyore
10-15-2004, 07:08 AM
I'm so scared that they will want to run one of those scopes down my throat. Thats all I keep thinking about. lol

That isn't bad. They put you out for it and you don't feel a thing. I have had it done a couple of times. But I know it can be scary.

andreame70
10-15-2004, 03:59 PM
Oh my God Tasha! He broke a needle off inside of you?? How the heck did that happen? Wow!

Andrea

Tasha405
10-15-2004, 09:02 PM
Oh my God Tasha! He broke a needle off inside of you?? How the heck did that happen? Wow!

Andrea
Yeah!! Can you believe that?? Of course I was still out in the surgery room when he told my mom and DH about it. He said that the surgery took longer than normal because he broke a needle off inside of me and he had to search through all of my fat to find it and that took about an hour! How rude is that?? I know I'm overweight but at the time I also had a baby that was 2 months old! I just thought the fat part was uncalled for and I still don't understand how he broke the needle off. He had to have been very rough with me to do that, or so thats how it seems to me. DH was getting up out of his chair to go after the doctor. LOL It was a mess.

Eyore, thanks for the info. I didn't know they would put someone to sleep to do that. That really eases my mind. I'm so scared of doctors, hospitals and everything else. Everyone knows that when I go to the doctor that it must be something pretty bad because I won't go for just anything because I get so scared and nervous. :o

andreame70
10-15-2004, 09:09 PM
I can't say that I blame your hubby for rising to that occasion, so to speak. He sounds like my dh.

Everything is gonna be just fine. I bet that in the end they are going to find that it is something really simple that can either be easily treated or fixed. Try not to get to worried. PM me if you want to talk. I will be there for ya.

Andrea

Tasha405
10-15-2004, 09:12 PM
I can't say that I blame your hubby for rising to that occasion, so to speak. He sounds like my dh.

Everything is gonna be just fine. I bet that in the end they are going to find that it is something really simple that can either be easily treated or fixed. Try not to get to worried. PM me if you want to talk. I will be there for ya.

Andrea
Thank you so much. You're such a sweetie!! :D (((Hugs)))

andreame70
10-15-2004, 09:13 PM
<blushing> thanks!

Andrea

joey74
10-17-2004, 05:46 AM
I ended up having an emergency apendectomy (sp) a month ago; and I would have never guessed it was my appendix! The pain was in my entire belly and especially high (below my ribs). They told me once the appendix is inflammed the entire stomach is painful. And it was painful--I couldn't stand to breath, much less move.
Maybe its just around my area, but I always thought when they took a gallbladder (sp) out that they took the appendix as well? When my sister had her gallbladder out they ended up taking the appendix out a couple of months later (they said normally they do it anyway - but they were "so sure" it was just the gallbladder".
Good Luck, I hope they take care of you soon.

Tasha405
10-17-2004, 07:27 AM
I ended up having an emergency apendectomy (sp) a month ago; and I would have never guessed it was my appendix! The pain was in my entire belly and especially high (below my ribs). They told me once the appendix is inflammed the entire stomach is painful. And it was painful--I couldn't stand to breath, much less move.
Maybe its just around my area, but I always thought when they took a gallbladder (sp) out that they took the appendix as well? When my sister had her gallbladder out they ended up taking the appendix out a couple of months later (they said normally they do it anyway - but they were "so sure" it was just the gallbladder".
Good Luck, I hope they take care of you soon.Thanks. Someone in my family said it could be that too. I'm anxious to find our what it is but scared at the same time, only because I hate going to a doctor for anything. lol

iluvmybaby
10-17-2004, 10:02 AM
:rolleyes: I dont understand why you didnt go to the ER if you had insurance and you were in THAT much pain, especially if you were worried that it was your appendix

Tasha405
10-17-2004, 10:21 AM
:rolleyes: I dont understand why you didnt go to the ER if you had insurance and you were in THAT much pain, especially if you were worried that it was your appendix
Wow, I'm not sure why you have the :rolleyes: but anyway.... I didn't go to the ER because I didn't want to. I don't like hospitals and try to keep from them as much as possible. Most likely they would have just gave me something for pain and told me to follow up with my regular doctor anyway. Like they did in TN. So why not save the co pay for an ER visit and just go straight to a doctor?

I'm also the type of person that helps and worries about everyone but themselves.

Like I said before I did go to the ER over these stomach pains when I was in TN and they done nothing. Just gave me a pain shot and sent me home. I went to my Doctor several times and he would blow it off as if it was nothing. He told me to just use TUMS or Rollaids and if it got any worse to come back. Well I lost insurance when my DH got laid off and I couldn't afford to go back.

I just recently got my insurance coverage from where he is working now and thats why I'm trying to see a doctor now and haven't went to the ER here.

GodBlessAmerica
10-18-2004, 01:41 AM
gosh Tasha, you're going through a lot. ((sorry))

good luck ( to everyone ) for monday appts. & feel better soon!

Tasha405
10-18-2004, 05:36 AM
gosh Tasha, you're going through a lot. ((sorry))

good luck ( to everyone ) for monday appts. & feel better soon!Thank you so much. I'm worried and nervous (for us both) so I've been cleaning all morning and trying to just find something to do to take my mind off of things. :o (((Hugs)))

tmesser
10-18-2004, 10:42 AM
[I'm so scared that they will want to run one of those scopes down my throat. Thats all I keep thinking about. lol[/

The scope is not scary, had one done last year. they give you conscious sedation. your awake but don't remember anything. I too had my gallbladder out in 95 and last year was having horrific pain in the same area. they did a HIDA scan and found out that the sphincter muscle between the stomach and liver was not working so it would just spasm and cause a lot of pain so he did the scope and cut that open. I have been pretty much pain free except for the past 4 months and now he put me back on medicine but its not working so i see him Nov 1 and hopefully he will do some scans to fine out whats wrong. See if the doctor would do some scans on you to find out exactly what is wrong.

good luck