PDA

View Full Version : Does your childs school have handicap accessible equipment on it's playground?

Angelseyes28
10-04-2004, 09:20 AM
Just curious if my kids school is the ONLY public school that doesn't have accessible equipment on the playground for the handicap kids. Oh and not only does it NOT have accessible equipment, the playground itself isn't even handicap accessible. So are there any other schools out there like this?

bribella
10-04-2004, 09:25 AM
My son attends a homeschhol academy run by the school district and it is on the same grounds as the elementary school and their playground is not handicap accessible.

Heck, neither is one of the post offices here in town. I went ther one day , had to pay 2.50 for parking, got the 3 kids and a double stroller got up to the post office. Wrangle the stroller up 5 stairs get inside and the only way up into the post office is 2 huge staircases! I thought that all government offices had to be handicapp accessible?

Sorry, did not mean to take over your post.

Angelseyes28
10-04-2004, 09:30 AM
Well I thought all public places had to be handicap accessible. I'm not sure about private schools but I know for a fact that all public schools have to be. Hubby spoke with a lawyer Friday and I filed a discrimination complaint against the school through the civil rights department. By law the school has to have handicap access to EVERYTHING including the playground and they also have to have the equipment to accomadate the handicapped students.

buttrfli
10-04-2004, 09:36 AM
Ours don't.... but lets not get me started on my lil DD's new school LOL

At the school where my disabled DD attends, they don't have anything like that either.

Angelseyes28
10-04-2004, 09:41 AM
Ours don't.... but lets not get me started on my lil DD's new school LOL

At the school where my disabled DD attends, they don't have anything like that either.

If it is a public school it has to have all the accessible stuff. You can file a claim against the school. Long story, short. If the school doesn't install all the things that it is suppose to have, then they could lose their federal funding and have a lawsuit placed against them.

sahmsfreeb
10-04-2004, 09:43 AM
Just curious if my kids school is the ONLY public school that doesn't have accessible equipment on the playground for the handicap kids. Oh and not only does it NOT have accessible equipment, the playground itself isn't even handicap accessible. So are there any other schools out there like this?
no but being a member of our playground committee this is what we are trying to raise money for. 60 grand more and we can have a playground that is safe AND handicapped accessable!
i belong to a very good school district. and it doesnt pay for palyground equipment.
although our superintendant makes 200 grand a year....

bears984
10-04-2004, 01:26 PM
Our school does not either as a matter of fact they have been raising money for playground stuff but none of it is for handicap children HMMM another thing that I will have to speak out about to this school.